Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Mark Gatiss is going to be in front of the camera in the Xmas special in an apparently secret role. Hopefully not the 3rd Doctor...

Sam Kisgart movin' on to the "real" universe.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

Sam Kisgart movin' on to the "real" universe.

I hope Benny and her Unbound David Warner Doctor show up as well then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Mark Gatiss is going to be in front of the camera in the Xmas special in an apparently secret role. Hopefully not the 3rd Doctor...

Professor Lazarus reappears and reveals that he was behind everything all along (somehow).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Shearsmith as Troughton, Gatiss as Pertwee and Pemberton as Colin Baker for a full League of Gentlemen reunion. They join forces with Capaldi to fight off Papa Lazarus.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Past Doctors' faces whirling around the floor with Davison saying "YOU MUST NOT DIE! DOCTOR! DON'T DIE DOCTOR! MUAHAHAHA!"

All along the Valeyard was just Five in a disguise, trying to make sure that the regenerating stopped at after the Sixth Doctor.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the recent show runners had dick fingered hands beforehand, but wow. This is a fuxored idea.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

R-Type posted:

I thought the recent show runners had dick fingered hands beforehand, but wow. This is a fuxored idea.

You'll have to be a bit more specific

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://youtu.be/YCkDXegqjR0

Christmas special trailer

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ahhhhhh! That looks great!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah that looks pretty good.

I mean my only complaint is Gatiss can't pull off a mustache to save his life.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I certainly wasn't expecting to hear from Bill again.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TL posted:

https://youtu.be/YCkDXegqjR0

Christmas special trailer

Y'know, gently caress it, bugger my reservations about recasting One, I'm super down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Y'know, gently caress it, bugger my reservations about recasting One

... those reservations should have gone away four years ago, or did you not see An Adventure in Space and Time?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't think they'd be able to get me with another "is either of you a Doctor" joke but they did it, the magnificent bastards

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Timby posted:

... those reservations should have gone away four years ago, or did you not see An Adventure in Space and Time?

Saw it and loved it. My reservations are nothing to do with Bradley himself and more about the idea of recasting individual incarnations of the Doctor generally

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Saw it and loved it. My reservations are nothing to do with Bradley himself and more about the idea of recasting individual incarnations of the Doctor generally

Well, it's not like One hasn't already been recast before...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Can someone clarify something for me please: who exactly is Gatiss playing here? Because I have a suspicion but I don't want it to be correct.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

PantsOptional posted:

Can someone clarify something for me please: who exactly is Gatiss playing here? Because I have a suspicion but I don't want it to be correct.

"The Captain", I think. Current speculation is some relative of the Brigadier. I'm hoping he's related to Group Captain "Chunky" Gilmore myself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

I had the same thought, but I don't think so. Maybe his father or grandfather, but I agree with the idea this looks like it's during WW1 and that would be too early for him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Ya don't worry, I asked the same thing more or less in the other Who thread and I've been assured it's not him.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

PantsOptional posted:

I'm hoping it's Captain Darling and the Doctors are going to save Baldrick and he will be the next companion.
Because goddamn for a second I thought that was a botoxed Tim McInnerny.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That's Polly at :17 isn't it? :swoon:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Timby posted:

He played William Hartnell not The Doctor

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He played William Hartnell not The Doctor

He played both. Maybe you should rewatch it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thexerox123 posted:

He played both. Maybe you should rewatch it.

No, he doesn't. He plays Hartnell playing the Doctor, yes, but there's no scene in it that has Doctor Who being anything other than fictional.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Possible exception being the Matt Smith cameo

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

jivjov posted:

Possible exception being the Matt Smith cameo

No that's still fictional. It's Hartnell the actor seeing his legacy carried forward 50 years. It's touching. Not a hint that Hartnell really was a Timelord.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, he doesn't. He plays Hartnell playing the Doctor, yes, but there's no scene in it that has Doctor Who being anything other than fictional.

Hey, guess what, Doctor Who is fictional no matter what context people are performing him in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

No that's still fictional. It's Hartnell the actor seeing his legacy carried forward 50 years. It's touching. Not a hint that Hartnell really was a Timelord.

I'm not saying he was a time lord. But was he seeing Matt Smith on set? Or seeing the 11th Doctor?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think the argument is that this is so fine a distinction as to be meaningless.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is an absolute mystery to me why people cannot tell the difference between portraying an actor in a biopic and portraying a character that actor played in a work of fiction. Like, even if you disagree that they shouldn't recast the First Doctor, it really can't be difficult to see that portraying an actor and portraying a character are two different things. Jim Carrey played Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon, and he did a few scenes as Latka, but it doesn't mean that if they ever have a Taxi reunion, Andy Kaufman can just show up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I'm not saying he was a time lord. But was he seeing Matt Smith on set? Or seeing the 11th Doctor?

Matt Smith.

Why would he be seeing the 11th Doctor?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It is an absolute mystery to me why people cannot tell the difference between portraying an actor in a biopic and portraying a character that actor played in a work of fiction. Like, even if you disagree that they shouldn't recast the First Doctor, it really can't be difficult to see that portraying an actor and portraying a character are two different things. Jim Carrey played Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon, and he did a few scenes as Latka, but it doesn't mean that if they ever have a Taxi reunion, Andy Kaufman can just show up.

People can tell the difference just fine they just don't give a poo poo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Matt Smith.

Why would he be seeing the 11th Doctor?

Because that scene already breaks the bounds of realism.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Because that scene already breaks the bounds of realism.

It's a metaphor of him looking to his future

His future is the actor Matt Smith taking up his role

Come on man

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

No, but Jim Carrey could, in theory, play Latka, and I don't think people would mind.

Characters are recast all of the time. Sure, Doctor Who found a clever way of doing it differently, but James Bond, Professor X, and Rhodes can all be recast with no real issue. It's fine here, too.

Or, more relevant, Dumbledore, since the original actor wasn't available.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

No, but Jim Carrey could, in theory, play Latka, and I don't think people would mind.

Characters are recast all of the time. Sure, Doctor Who found a clever way of doing it differently, but James Bond, Professor X, and Rhodes can all be recast with no real issue. It's fine here, too.

Or, more relevant, Dumbledore, since the original actor wasn't available.

This would be like if somebody cast a new actor to play "Dr. No's Bond" and asked them to do an imitation of Sean Connery.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

This would be like if somebody cast a new actor to play "Dr. No's Bond" and asked them to do an imitation of Sean Connery.

See, the two points here are A: Yes, it is, no one is disputing that, it's only that you think that's inappropriate and others disagree and B: I actually don't think Bradley is mimicking Hartnell so much as trying to evoke him and his performance. He's very clearly not going as big as Hartnell did, and didn't do so even in the biopic's recreations of old scenes. He's doing a more modern, naturalistic take on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
holy christ

• Locked thread