Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I want Karl Urban. However I know it will be someone like Robert Sheehan, Iwan Rheon, or Joseph Gilgun. They have been in tv shows, and if they were in a movie it was a bit part.

Based on the way Robert Sheehan left Misfits, I'm not sure the producers would want to take that chance with him.... but I do suddenly really want to see the Doctor somehow saddled with Nathan as a companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thexerox123 posted:

Based on the way Robert Sheehan left Misfits, I'm not sure the producers would want to take that chance with him.... but I do suddenly really want to see the Doctor somehow saddled with Nathan as a companion.

It might not be one of them, I was just using them as examples. It will be a someone who is on a tv show, and not someone that is already a huge name.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
JLC was confirmed - proper, like - a few weeks back.

I hope Stephen Mangan is just trolling/having a laugh/whatever, I really don't fancy the idea of him as The Doctor at all. River and him in the same quadrant together would probably cause some kind of Annoying Smug Shite singularity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Paterson Joseph for the Doctor and James Nesbitt for the Master. That's one way to do it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Paterson Joseph for the Doctor and James Nesbitt for the Master. That's one way to do it.

So the Master is going to kill The Doctor in a lion cage?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
If we're going for an older Doctor: Patrick Stewart with Jeremy Irons as the Master. Don't tell me that wouldn't kick all kinds of rear end.

A middle-aged doctor: I'd be down with Hugh Laurie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

If we're going for an older Doctor: Patrick Stewart with Jeremy Irons as the Master. Don't tell me that wouldn't kick all kinds of rear end.

A middle-aged doctor: I'd be down with Hugh Laurie.

If middle age go with Philip Glenister.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

So the Master is going to kill The Doctor in a lion cage?

Yeah, but these would be time-travelling lions, see.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I guess I'll be "that guy" and say I was never a huge fan of Smith. Partly I never really liked his style, but for the most part I think I had a problem disassociating himself with the features of the Moffat era in general. Of course I also largely didn't like Tennant for the same reason, but since he left I've grown somewhat fonder of his seasons, so maybe that will be the case with Smith a while from now.

I'm also hoping for an older Doctor, but completely expecting he will be as young or younger than Smith was in 2010.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I do think its time to oust Moffat. I blame him for this because he can't handle a budget, scripts, and running two shows.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I'd take Frankie Boyle as The Doctor, travels all over space and time berating, belittling and demeaning absolutely anyone and everyone.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

thepokey posted:

I'd take Frankie Boyle as The Doctor, travels all over space and time berating, belittling and demeaning absolutely anyone and everyone.

Yes, Time Haters: The Series.
Let's do this.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Wasn't there a :mattsmith: smilie? Man, I'm bummed about this.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Lets just make Brian Blessed the Doctor and call it a day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I feel that we just had this discussion before.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

If middle age go with Philip Glenister.

How about Peter Capaldi?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

How about Peter Capaldi?

He is always welcome.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Kick Moffat out of the Showrunner's chair, give him a two-parter every year. We know he's good for it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Whelp, looks like if Moffat is going to address The Valeyard, it's coming sooner than later. :unsmith:

If they don't do The Valeyard (and seriously, how awesome would it be to have Michael Jayston as a nice Doctor with a darker side who grows darker and knows he might slip and go full evil?), then my second choices would be Patterson Joseph and the rumored Ben Daniels. I was so disappointed when he left :doink::UK, so anything to give him work is good.

Joseph and Daniels are both 48, which would make either of them the 3rd oldest after Hartnell and Pertwee.

On the other hand, if we want to get an idea of where Moffat's head is at, personally I thought he was the most effusive about Pertwee in all the past Doctor specials so far. He may indeed go for a dashing older man of action/scientist.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
For the Valeyard to happen, doesn't he have to break the timelock on Gallifrey in order to go back?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It would be interesting to have a series or two of Doctor Who where it's a group of companions teaming up in the TARDIS trying to assassinate the Valeyard so he can regenerate into the Doctor again.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Super.Jesus posted:

For the Valeyard to happen, doesn't he have to break the timelock on Gallifrey in order to go back?

It's a timelock on Gallifrey for the era of the Great Time War, not his past existence.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I thought the Valeyard was between 12 and 13 anyway, so we wouldn't see anything about Valeyard til the end of the 12ths tenure, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jivjov posted:

I thought the Valeyard was between 12 and 13 anyway, so we wouldn't see anything about Valeyard til the end of the 12ths tenure, right?

This is if Hurt is the real 8th Doctor.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

This is if Hurt is the real 8th Doctor.

He's not the 'real 8th Doctor', they're already getting around that by every other Doctor striking him from the counting, it seems. Numbering is intact, as far as we know.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aurora posted:

He's not the 'real 8th Doctor', they're already getting around that by every other Doctor striking him from the counting, it seems. Numbering is intact, as far as we know.

It may not change the numbering, but it does change the number of regenerations that there have been.

Edit: Actually, I guess it's "incarnation", so that probably does mean Doctors.

The Master posted:

There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you. The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation.

It could go either way, really.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Super.Jesus posted:

He'd have to go back to Gallifrey in his own past, which he already did. That was already a rule he broke.

The Time War timelock is a bit fuzzy. My personal theory is that for a Time War to be a Time War, you have to have an endgame like in Voyager where the goal is for both sides to erase the other from existence. So therefore the timelock would have removed all traces of Gallifrey and the Daleks from all history. This is supported in the new series by the fact that The Doctor claims he would have been able to feel the Master or any other Time Lord in all history but he was the Last and only one (because the Master was human). Also the Tree Lady from End of the World was of a "time sensitive" race, one of the very few who understood there was some other timeline with Time Lords protecting time and influence the universe. And The Reapers in Father's Day were the kind of thing that existed now that the Time Lords were gone. If the Time Lords were at any point influencing Time, then they would still be everywhere. Clearly when the Daleks came out of the timelock they were able to recreate historical Skaro and some version of their history beating the Thals, as well as the Asylum.

But you don't need Gallifrey for The Valeyard to exist. If he can't get there, it's just an alternate timeline with one place he can't go. The Valeyard Doctor may have had many adventures before trying to steal his previous regenerations; in the beginning he may even have been good.

Aurora posted:

He makes Smith the 11th Doctor, but on his 12th body. Which is suitably weird enough to explain away the Master's comment, especially assuming the Master himself may have had an incomplete understanding of the shenanigans which hosed up the numbering.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 2, 2013

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Astroman posted:

He'd have to go back to Gallifrey in his own past, which he already did. That was already a rule he broke.

This implies that he could also go back and prevent the time war in the first place if he really wanted to, or that he could just go chill on Gallifrey a hundred years before he was born.

My understanding is that the time lock extends back to the beginning of Gallifrey's history, effectively making everything set in stone, except the exceedingly unclever timelord plots to escape their inevitable fate (Here let's just stand around in our portal until the Doctor figures out he can just shoot that crystal to shut us out.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Super.Jesus posted:

This implies that he could also go back and prevent the time war in the first place if he really wanted to, or that he could just go chill on Gallifrey a hundred years before he was born.

My understanding is that the time lock extends back to the beginning of Gallifrey's history, effectively making everything set in stone, except the exceedingly unclever timelord plots to escape their inevitable fate (Here let's just stand around in our portal until the Doctor figures out he can just shoot that crystal to shut us out.)

We know the Valeyard exists in the past though, so maybe that's an exception to the Time Lock rule (dudes can enter if they were already part of events but can't exit).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If I had a one shot casting decision for the next doctor, it's gotta be Michael Caine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

If I had a one shot casting decision for the next doctor, it's gotta be Michael Caine.

You have to get him at the right time. It has to be when his house needs repairs, he needs a new car, or its tax season.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Someone just suggested Patrick Stewart as the next Doctor Who. It's ridiculous but then I pictured it and I laughed and laughed. Him prancing around doing Doctor dialog would be hilarious. It'll never happen but in my head it's wonderful.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Someone just suggested Patrick Stewart as the next Doctor Who. It's ridiculous but then I pictured it and I laughed and laughed. Him prancing around doing Doctor dialog would be hilarious. It'll never happen but in my head it's wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XVmtugHJ0E

This will be his "trying on outfits" scene.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SunshineDanceParty posted:

"It's too late, I went back in time and saw everything"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

How about Peter Capaldi?

Was just about to suggest this. Wait, no, Paul Higgins. Greg Davies. Jimmy Carr. Oh gently caress it, just have a season where the Doctor and the Master have a ridiculous battle through time and every episode one or both of them get(s) blown the gently caress up and have to regenerate. And J.B. Smoove.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

McDragon posted:

Oh gently caress it, just have a season where the Doctor and the Master have a ridiculous battle through time and every episode one or both of them get(s) blown the gently caress up and have to regenerate. And J.B. Smoove.

Like how HIGNFY just has guest hosts now? Works for me.

As long as it's never Boris.

Brutal.roadrunner
Dec 15, 2011

*WHIPCRACK*
I want James Roday with Peter Dinklage as a companion.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

You know, people talked about Tilda Swinton as the first Lady Doctor but I'd really like to see her in the 50th as a new Romana. I think that would be really cool.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

thepokey posted:

Actually I completely forgot he basically already has been The Doctor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl35zTwSXOM (:nws:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

thepokey posted:

Actually I completely forgot he basically already has been The Doctor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl35zTwSXOM (:nws:)

I always assumed Frankie Boyle's show would be terrible and unfunny, I never realised it would be this terrible and unfunny.

• Locked thread