Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Here are the basic summaries for all the episodes from Moffat via the Radio Times:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/series-8-ep-details.html

Deep Breath
"Who frowned me this face?"
A slaughterhouse restaurant and a buried spaceship lead The Doctor into a confrontation with a long-forgotten foe...

Into The Dalek
"Imagine the worst thing in the universe, and then don't bother because you're looking at right now. This is evil refined as engineering."
In the dying days of a bitter war, a beleaguered army has one last hope: a Dalek so damaged it has become good. But can it be trusted? To find out, a miniaturised team, led by The Doctor and Clara, embark on a fantastic voyage into the Dalek itself...

Robot of Sherwood
"There's no such thing as Robin Hood!"
In a sun-dappled Sherwood Forest, The Doctor discovers an evil plan from beyond the stars. But with of Nottingham at stake (and possibly Derby), there's no time for the two adventurers to get into a fight about who is real and who isn't - which is probably why they do very little else!

Listen
"What's that in the mirror, and the corner of your eye? What's the footstep following, but never passing by?"
What scares the grand old man of time? What horrors lurk under his bed? Ghosts of the past and future crowd into the lives of The Doctor and Clara; a terrified caretaker in a children's home, the last man standing in the universe, and a little boy who doesn't want to join the army...

Time Heist
"Welcome to the bank of Karabraxos."
The Bank of Karabraxos is the deadliest bank in the cosmos - only a fool or genius would tempt to rob it. Fortunately, for The Doctor, he's both. But nothing even The Doctor has encountered can prepare them for the Teller: a creature of terrifying power that can detect guilt.

The Caretaker
"Human beings have incredibly short life-spans. Frankly, you should all be in a permanent state of panic. Tick tock, tick tock."
Clara has it all under control: her life at school, her life in space; her new boyfriend and her mad old Time Lord. Everything is humming along just fine, so long as everybody never actually meets. And then, one morning, just before assembly, Coal Hill welcomes a new relief caretaker with a Scottish accent.

Kill the Moon
"The little planetoid that's been tagging along beside you for a hundred million years, which gives you light at night and seas to sail, is in the process of falling to bits."
In the near future, The Doctor and Clara arrive on a decrepit shuttle making a suicide mission to the Moon. Crashing on the lunar surface, they find a mining base full of eviscerated corpses, spider-like creatures scuttling about in the dark, and a terrible dilemma.

Mummy on the Orient Express
"Start the clock!"
Aboard the most beautiful train in history, speeding among the stars of the future, a legend is stalking the passengers. Once you see the Mummy, you have 66 seconds to live. Clara sees The Doctor at his most deadliest and most ruthless - and finally she realises she's made the right decision. Because this is their last adventure: it's time to say goodbye to the Time Lord.

Flatline
"Look, your home isn't going anywhere. And neither is mine until I figure this out."
Separated from The Doctor, Clara discovers a new menace from another dimension. But how do you hide when even the walls are no protection?

In the Forest of the Night
"D'you like the forest being in Trafalgar Square? I think it's lovely."
One morning in London, and every city and town in the world, the human race wakes up to the most surprising invasion yet: the trees have moved back in. Everywhere, in every land, a forest has grown overnight and taken back the Earth.

Dark Water / Death in Heaven
"You betrayed me. You betrayed my trust, our friendship, and everything I've ever stood for. You let me down."
In the mysterious world of the Nethersphere, plans have been drawn. Old friends and old enemies manoeuvre around The Doctor, and an impossible choice is looming over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Just finished watching Silver Nemesis for the first time. Has anyone throw out the theory that Missy the result of the combined Nemesis-Lady Peinforte?

Seems like it might be a good time to bring it back, as you could possibly play into the next "25 year" cycle. Nemesis ties into the Doctor's backstory somehow, and Lady Peinforte boasted about knowing his true nature. Obviously that tied into the Cartmel masterplan stuff, but maybe Moffat is planning to return to that hanging plot thread with his own angle.

Possibly tied into this was the Cybermen being involved with her somehow which we know from the finale filming. Last we saw of her/it she was going around destroying their ships, maybe they finally took control of her like they wanted to?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Missy is the reason the Doctor left Gallifrey. Turns out the First Doctor got her pregnant and bailed. Truly a shocking revelation.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Frankly, I'm not sure why Missy being Rani would be freaking out the Production people so much like many have been saying in their ambiguous finale hype interviews they've been doing. Her being Romana I could see would make people jazzed, but Rani? Have they even seen Rani's stories?

I'm fine with Missy being Rani, but Moffat is asking a lot of the audience to be shocked and excited by that reveal if it's true. At least with Romana there would be some strained justification for the "boyfriend" line. Plus she has a legitimate fanbase and previous solid run in the show.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Jsor posted:

I think that was the scene where she said

"Missy. Short for Mistress. Well I couldn't keep calling myself The Master, now could I?"

E: It very well could have been a different take with slightly different wording. Or she said "Rani, for short" and then it "leaked" on the internet to troll people.

Yeah, I believe the director said they deliberately made fake shots/scripts during filming to try to throw people off. Looks like it worked. I could see them easily doing 4 quick takes of that scene, each one replacing the line with "Rani, The Master, Romana, etc."

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Emron posted:

He's the Rani, obviously.

This would be hilarious.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

He's the Valeyard. The humanoid Ten didn't want to die so he found a way to team up with the Master and cheat death.

This, would be awesome? It would tie up two dangling plot threads so people would finally shut up about them.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, what the hell was that. Multiple people who saw the episode hyped a reveal, guess they were just yanking people's chains.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Season 9 has begun filming today. It's early on so of course all manner of rumors are being thrown out including things like "K-9" and "Sea Devils". We'll see how those bear out as spy/fan pics begin to be posted.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 5, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, we know that's BS since they're now filming the first two episodes which are a two-parter, which also feature Missy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Maisie is scheduled to be back again in a few episodes:

http://www.combom.co.uk/2015/10/maisie-williams-to-return-to-doctor-who.html

Same episode that also sees the return of Rigsy from Flatline.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I skipped the next time trailer but I know there's some more Jenna still coming, as there were BTS pics of her filming in a waitress diner costume.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Chibnall and Capaldi should just totally ostracize casual fans and have Capaldi stay in the role for another season and anti-regenerate into the Valeyard. Would be weird and risky for the show to do, where he plays an evil version of the Doctor for a season before regenerating for real.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The other current prevalent rumor is that Simm will be returning for another turn as the Master this season. Possibly a multi-Master episode?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd really dig it if they got Geoffrey Beevers.

At the very least, you could convincingly get about 4 Masters who would look exactly like how they should: Simm, Gomez, MacQueen and Beevers in makeup. Five if you get Derek Jacobi, six if you get a badly rendered CGI snake.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I liked the War Doctor, and appreciate the solo nature of his stint now that Hurt got some audios under his belt before his passing. It made sense within the ambiguous nature of the existing history for him to fit in there. But it's a bit of a unfortunate cheat for me to see them do something like that again. It feels like a disservice to burn through a regeneration like that... Unless they pull a fast one on us and use it to finally introduce the Valeyard. Since, like the Time War, it deals with an existing plot hook which can finally be explored.

12 regenerates, something goes wrong with that regeneration forcing him to regenerate one more time. That failed regeneration and actor sticks around as the main villain for the season, while the "real" next Doctor carries on. So the story arc for next season would be something like the Doctor's "evil" side running around as the Valeyard, and his "good" side running around as the official next Doctor. The Doctor then has to somehow bring himself back together. They could also use this plot to finally explain or tie into the Watcher. They could really get weird and bring Tom back as the Caretaker, have him regenerate into the Watcher and then peace out back into his own past to help himself? Chibnall would probably be out-Moffating Moffat at that point.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

A fuzzy spy photo for the Christmas episode seems to show Capaldi and someone who looks like David Bradley in his First Doctor look. This could seemingly confirm the possible "A Christmas Carol" theme for the episode.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Bill appears to be healed and fine in the Christmas special, Pearl has been spy photographed on set. But with the Christmas Carol nature of the story, could be a "ghost" of some form.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 29, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

He's looking for shovels to bean people with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I would like that, even more so if they use it to retcon the Clara who met the First Doctor when she went into his Timestream. I always liked the idea that particular Clara was the post-raven Clara who had finished her travels with Ashildr and had returned to Gallifrey to die. That also means that the Doctor stole the same Tardis twice.

• Locked thread