Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

Marcus works for them

Wait, what? Since when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

Are Moffat and Capaldi doing the next Christmas special, or are both departing after the normal season run? I'd thought they hadn't cast his replacement yet, but now that I think of it, they'll have to be filming his regeneration soon, won't they?

Both Moffat and Capaldi exit after the Christmas special, which will probably shoot early this summer. I don't think Chibnall's supposed to report to work for season 11 until July or so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Current rumour is that Bill might only be around for the one season because Chibnall wants a complete fresh start when he takes over. Disappointing if true. Obviously Freema Agyeman and Catherine Tate were only regular companions for one complete season each but I've personally become accustomed to them sticking around for more than one.

Didn't Pearl Mackie say right when she was hired that she expected to only do one year?

Edit: And I know at least one of the tabloids -- the Mirror, I think -- has said that the BBC wants basically a complete restart, TARDIS set and all, because merchandise sales have plummeted during Capaldi's tenure. Obviously it's the British tabloids but every now and again they get something right.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 3, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cargohills posted:

I don't think the BBC charter allows the production side of things to care about merchandise sales.

I believe that went away the minute BBC America began co-financing the show several years ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

According to some sources, Susan is appearing this season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

It's a photo on his desk in his university study.

No, like, APPEARING appearing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Presumably the final two-parter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2house2fly posted:

Better Call Saul springs to mind, it's set in the mid-2000s and everyone's got flip phones

Breaking Bad did that too, with Walter driving a Pontiac Aztek and everyone using old-rear end phones (although that really, really fell off in the last two seasons, even though the entire series is only supposed to depict two years, beginning in 2008).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So this is something. Capaldi says they still have to shoot the Christmas special, but he also says he's filmed the Twelfth Doctor's death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0-km7wh0A

I wonder, then, if this is recycling Moffat's original idea for season 5 had Tennant stayed (it would have begun with his regeneration / dying moments being seen in the first episode, but throughout the season we'd see events unfold as to how he ends up in that regeneration situation).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Xmas special starts filming at the end of May, so I'd wager we hear who the next Doctor is before then.

Yeah, they'll certainly announce it before on-set footage leaks (although I'm sure the regeneration will be done on a closed set). Wouldn't be shocked to see another special about the casting announcement.

That video, though. 205 shooting days for twelve episodes. Crikey. No wonder Capaldi was like "gently caress this, I'm old."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

Did Capaldi ever deny it the last time?

As I recall, Capaldi wasn't even thought to be in the running until like a week before his announcement (because he had so vocally turned down the invitation to audition for the 1996 movie), and then like the day before the announcement special the bookies froze betting on him. People weren't expecting a cranky old Doctor after Smith had just spent several years playing a cranky old Doctor in a young man's body.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2house2fly posted:

Who can forget those classic characters: Mickey, Jackie, the pavement slab woman,

The best companion Tennant said goodbye to in that episode wasn't even an RTD companion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

If you mean Sarah Jane then yes but if you mean Jack then he was an RTD companion even if he was introduced in a Moffat episode.

It was the first.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is also one random person on Reddit, for what it's worth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MixxMaster posted:

And so it came to pass that the players took their final places, making ready the events that were to come...

Wait, wasn't that Dalton's narration in The End of Time?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

That would be a good setting for the mood of the episode.

After echoplex called you out, considering he literally worked on the show, I'm thinking you need to stop.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

but we should probably just brace ourselves for Tennant 2.0.

Tennant's career has flatlined so badly that I wouldn't be stunned if Chibnall pulls some wibbly wobbly, timey wimey poo poo out of his rear end at Christmas and surprises us all with another year or two of Ten.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Mark Gatiss is going to be in front of the camera in the Xmas special in an apparently secret role. Hopefully not the 3rd Doctor...

I'd bet it is. The rumor is that the story is It's a Wonderful Life, and since Twelve is refusing to regenerate, I'd bet money that he revisits past selves to be reminded of how much good a regeneration can do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Y'know, gently caress it, bugger my reservations about recasting One

... those reservations should have gone away four years ago, or did you not see An Adventure in Space and Time?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Saw it and loved it. My reservations are nothing to do with Bradley himself and more about the idea of recasting individual incarnations of the Doctor generally

Well, it's not like One hasn't already been recast before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darth Brooks posted:

I was trying to come up with an intelligent summation of my feelings about this question and I can't. Came up completely dry. All I got is this.

Some of those are actually pretty decent likenesses, but holy poo poo Eleven looks like he's he was born with fetal alcohol syndrome and Nine looks more like Jason Isaacs.

• Locked thread