Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maybe Hurt's Doctor is a actually a brainwashed Zygon? A Zygon who was impersonating The Doctor during the Time War, but The Doctor tricked into thinking he's really The Doctor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

Fitz was a great companion. Who should've played him alongside Paul McGann if they'd been on TV?

He was played by Matt Di Angelo:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I still think he'll be Zygon who's been pretending to be the Doctor for so long that he's forgotten he's a Zygon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

The convention videos Davison made where Tennant shows up and tells him to stop hanging around are hilarious.

Some people are speculating that Davison might be playing Omega in a 5th Doctor's body again. Though that might be a reference too far to pack into one special, it would make sense that if the Time Lords where bringing back Rassilon, they might bring back his Best Frenemy Forever Omega for the last act of Gallifreyan Society. Or hell, maybe the Daleks would recruit him. "Hey, you hate Gallifreyans, right? So do we!" :haw:

They already did that in the BF audio "Omega".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want Moffat to bring dignity back to regeneration. It felt so weird for Ten to forestall the process and actually complain about having to go. Every other Doc accepted that his time was up. Eleven should do the same.

The Third Doctor hung about in the vortex for several weeks until he was returned to his lab at UNIT HQ.

And the Second was rather indignant about his forced regeneration.

And the Seventh was murdered by a companion. (some count Grace as a companion.)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 5, 2013

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed that book a lot, but it got weird for a little bit.

Well, how else are you supposed to prove that DOCTOR WHO IS MATURE AND IS NO WAY MEANT FOR CHILDREN BECAUSE IT"S SERIOUS GROWN-UP SCIENCE FICTION?!?!?? HUH? HOW ELSE?!?!

God, the people running that NAs were the worst.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Is it wrong to kind of wish that they'd do a separate DVD release for "The Night of the Doctor", and not just stick it on "The Day of the Doctor" DVD?

PriorMarcus posted:

Regeneration suicide bombers.

In the audio drama "Project: Lazarus" was about. The Forge wanted the Sixth Doctor's secret of regeneration so they could create soldiers who could die on the battlefield, then regenerate and keep fighting.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 15, 2013

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mortanis posted:

No stranger than 10 meeting 5 in Time Crash - I mean, 10 remembers how to solve the problem because he remembers seeing it as 5, but somehow doesn't remember being told "by the way, the Master's back".

Still, this establishes that the events happened in 11's temporal past, and it's not some sort of time-travel-fuckery that rewrites history, causing 11 meeting 10 to happen for the first time simultaneously for them or something. That's... interesting.

I always figured that the Doctor could remember what had happened in his past incarnations, but at the moment they met, that information would be gone, since to his previous incarnation, it was just happening, so there was no way the current Doctor could remember it since it hadn't happened to him yet.

:psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah, at this point the only thing left on my 50th anniversary wishlist is some manner of regeneration that ends in Eccleston. I don't care if its Hurt -> Eccleston or some kind of wibbly wobbly thing where they replay Night of the Doctor except with McGann making a different choice and regenerating McGann -> Eccleston, but I just want to be able to visually witness an unbroken string of regenerations (Not counting the dubiousness of the Troughton -> Pertwee one).

I could totally see Moffat doing something like that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Moff sure loves monsters made of wood. First the monsters in "Doctor, Widow, Wardrobe" and now the wooden Cyberman.

Stone ones too, now that I think about it. First, Weeping Angels, then that Stone Dalek in "Big Bang"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

From the character's perspective, maybe, although he basically says 'I like who I am now too much to change'. But what bugs me far more is that RTD should never have written that situation at all. The whole getting half-shot by a Dalek while running in slow motion thing, the whole fake regeneration thing, and the whole dildo-doctor thing. It's big dumb cheap ideas all the way down. It's Russell 'The' Davies at his most half-arsed.

I don't know, I think the whole "River Song is suddenly part Time Lord and can give her regenerations to the Doctor to save his life" far more annoying.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How has this not been posted?

What about the photo of the Daleks, and behind them there appears to be a giant Dalek gun on tank treads?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The War Doctor maybe?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

pgroce posted:

I want a spin-off show where a Silent and an Ood share an apartment. The Silent is loutish and slovenly, the Ood is an OCD cleaner, but despite that, they weather life's little trials and tribulations and become great friends.

I had a great name for this show, but I just forgot it. Funny, that...

Only if Davros is their landlord.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kircheis posted:

In one of the recent Big Finish podcasts, Nicholas Briggs said that when he was recording his lines for Time of the Doctor, Moffat told him that he left some big gaps in 11's timeline for the inevitable 11th Doctor adventures. Apparently Matt said he'd be interested in recording some if they get the license sometime (which may be more likely after AudioGo's bankruptcy.)

Also, apparently Moffat wrote the line in Night of the Doctor where the 8th Doctor mentioned the Big Finish companions as a surprise for them - sounds like he's a fan of what they're doing with the classic Doctors.

It's funny, when BF got the license back in '99, they got together a bunch of writers to propose storylines, and Moffat was one of the writers present, but left shortly into when it was revealed that only Peter, Colin, and Sylvester had signed on. Apparently he wasn't interested in writing for any Doctor other than McGann . . . then never did one when they did get McGann. Which is strange considering how much he loves Peter.

Also, that meeting had the :psyduck: moment of Paul Cornell being a dick to Nick Briggs.

BF wanted to get their first release out as soon as possible, so they went with a writer who had experience writing Doctor Who (the Audio Visuals fan audios) and more importantly, writing in the audio medium. So Jason Haigh-Ellery and Gary Russell chose Nick Briggs. Which Cornell took great offense at. Since he had been one of the tentpole writers on the NAs, he felt the writer of the first one should have been "special", and told Briggs "frankly, that darling, that ain't you."

Considering how awful Cornell's "The Shadow of the Scourge" was, I think BF made the right choice.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This is all interesting. Moffat doing an audio would probably have been fun. Where did you learn all this?

The Big Finish book "Doctor Who: The New Audio Adventures: The Inside Story" by Benjamin Cook. It's from 2003, though it looks like it's out of print.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I liked Strax the first time he was introduced, but that's the only time I've liked any of those three. And actually, didn't he also die in that episode? Was him somehow coming back to life ever brought up?

I'd love to see him do a Doctor Who story.

You're in luck!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-...rds=eoin+colfer

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

In his very last storyline in the Doctor Who Monthly comic strip, the 8th Doctor loses his jacket and decides to get a leather coat to replace it.

The best from McGann came from an interview shortly after Eccelston was cast.

"Bet they're not going to make him wear a wig."

Or when he was talking about the script to his BF audio, "Dead London" where the Doctor escapes from a Wicker Man by zip-lining using his cravat.

"I'm still wearing that cravat?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Oh poo poo! Tyres is gonna be on Doctor Who!

Few more guest stars and Doctor Who's gonna have the set.

Uh, he already was in Doctor Who:

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/creatures-of-beauty-210

As was Marsha:

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/terror-firma-238

Tim & Daisy:

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/invaders-from-mars-652

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 24, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rumor is it's called something like "Robots of Sherwood".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

No we were talking about the worst thing that could happen, not the best.

When the show came back in 05 one actor suggested himself up for the role of the Master.

Of course it's Tom.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kazy posted:

This makes me wonder what kind of stories Douglas Adams would've written for the reboot :smith: I've always been a fan of his work, even long before I got into Who.

In a doc about Adams, Moffat said (and this was during series one or two) that Adams definitely would have been asked to write for the new series.

And they would still be waiting for his script.

Also, before he died, apparently Adams was putting together his own proposal to bring Doctor Who back.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The Mirror, and a bunch of periodicals quoting it. :rolleyes: It's interesting to hear why RTD hasn't written, though. I thought it'd be nice for him to come back and write an episode at some point, but the clean break makes sense.

The best RTD bit was after he left, and was asked if he would continue to write for the show, and he gave the same answer about "clean breaks", plus he had told all the stories about the Doctor that he wanted to.

Cue two weeks later:

"RTD to write for the Eleventh Doctor on the Sarah Jane Adventures"

He said he knew his previous comment about clean breaks was going to bite him on the rear end after that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I doubt he even owns "street" clothes, now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zhExXiL8A&t=1m42s

Check the lining.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

God, I was hoping they'd throw at that sweater of Capaldi's. When I saw it on TV, I thought it was some sort of sparkly design, but a close up reveals, nope it's just holes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

HER SHIRT.

It's going to be revealed that she's there every time he's on Earth, and while he's away, she raids the TARDIS' wardrobe. I eagerly await the episode where they're wearing matching outfits.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Well, BF's The Churchill Years is going to have Churchill tell stories of 9, 10, and 11 (they're even on the cover). My guess is they're just waiting for scripts to be commissioned and actors' availability. Tennant's filming "AKA Jessica Jones" and a load of other stuff, so it's probably hard for him to get a week off (if they go the route of a box set or a series on single audios).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Which I find really bizarre given the final episodes don't bear more than a tiny passing resemblance to Spare Parts.

It was basically for that scene where Ten finds that Cyberman whose emotional inhibitor was switched off and it was talking about her upcoming wedding. He wanted something similar to the Yvonne Hartley scene in Spare Parts. That scene was basically the impetus for Rise/Age.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

I'd love a straight adaptation of Spare Parts: Mondas, Yvonne, and all. In my eyes it ranks as one of the best Who stories told in any medium, and I'd love to see Capaldi's take on it.

Nah, that's silly. It's a Davison story, and should stay a Davison story.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Daleks in Genesis were black and grey. If Moffat's re-writing anything, it would be the first Dalek story, "The Daleks".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

He was president of Footlights at Cambridge uni, so I think he's got some inkling of acting.

From what I understand though, he's not really fond of acting, and would rather concentrate on the behind the scenes stuff, like directing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RichardAyoade/status/886252266545717250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gordong Dongbay posted:

How great would it be if the role of the Doctor turned into this American Idol-esque competition where actors have to win to get the role.

Would a companion do?
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/situation-vacant-540

• Locked thread