Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I sincerely doubt they would cocktease bad news like this. Even if Smith is departing, expect some mention of who (sic) the next doctor will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Next season is the John Hurt season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fazana posted:

A few editorials yesterday and today have been campaigning for a female Doctor, I suspect they will do that next time round.

Is there any benefit in having a female doctor besides being able to say they had a female doctor?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Don't get me wrong, I think they could do a lot with a female doctor. Having a maternal doctor after so many paternal and fraternal doctors would definitely bring something new to the table and expand the mythos in interesting ways. The problem is that the call for a female doctor isn't so much about having a uniquely female doctor, but about having a woman playing the male doctor role, which reeks of tokenism.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Emerson Cod posted:

Someone actually did a CG recreation using the original audio. It's pretty awesome, hopefully the group will make more videos in the same vein.

Doctor Who: Foodfight

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want Moffat to bring dignity back to regeneration.

The last time Eleven faced imminent death, he took the time to put on a tuxedo. The dude is nothing if not dignified.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Now that's some shoddy craftsmanship.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Any time a Dalek gets destroyed it looks cheap as gently caress. Any episode.

Daleks are built with impenetrable metal shielding.. and heads that pop off like champagne corks at the first sign of trouble. The universe is in deep poo poo if the Daleks ever discover screws.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

Really? I think the outfit is hideous. :/

Hipster Tardis Rose just flew in from Portland.

(her skirt is a literal bedsheet)

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 13, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

Let me tell you a tale of terror, of a place known only as Wookieepedia...

Is that more terrifying than Memory Gamma, the Star Trek fanfiction wiki?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Brigadier Sockface posted:

What is this nonsense? How can there be a Doctor Who video out there and none of us have seen it??

Consult the diary!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is that a new outfit for 11? Everything but the overcoat looks different.

Its his Victorian outfit from the 2012 Christmas special.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

I'm fine with them "explaining away" why he looks like That Guy From Pompeii, but I just hope it isn't a Moffat-Plot that takes the whole season.

It all leads up to next year's Christmas special, The Coincidence of the Doctor.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Where did Vastra come from, anyway? Isn't she an old RTD character?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that explains my confusion.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm probably not the only one, but I genuinely thought for ages that they were introduced in an earlier episode or an internet thingie that I had completely passed me by.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say Strax isn't the guy from The Sontaran Stratagem, either.

edit: beaten like an unwanted puppy

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Do you hear that? That's the sound of a million nerds rushing to London Fog to buy skinny pea coats.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

No tie. Subdued hair. Big disappointment. Crapoldie is already the worst doctor.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

Let's wait until the ridiculous rumor is confirmed before we scold Moffat on his lack of progressiveness. Or just use one of the actual examples of his lack of progressiveness to scold him, I guess.

Men and women will never truly be equal until women are allowed to become British science fiction characters.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, Craig Ferguson bears a striking resemblance to Robbie Williams.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

"I see beauty, divinity.. AATREK" :ohdear:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dongattack posted:

I wanted Strax to be the new companion back when i first heard about him, ANYTHING to stop the never-ending torrent of bubbly, flirty, hot and confused girl companions. I can't even look at Clara without getting frustrated anymore. Tho to be fair it's kind of a tradition i guess, but still there were male companions and robot dogs and poo poo before.

Its almost like Rory wasn't a companion for three years.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Well, the others were actual characters who had their own growth and progression (to some degree or other; or in the case of Dodo, none at all). Whereas Clara is basically Moffat's idea of the Doctor's fantasy dream date who is always super hugely important and the universe quite literally revolves around her (see also: Pond, Amy and Song, River).

Amy and River had a ton of character development.

I don't know, but I have a hard time calling Clara a total loss because she's only been in like six episodes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Moffat is all over this season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Xibanya posted:

Oh my God did I turn into tumblr? :smith:

Yeah, and its really weird and creepy (PLEASE DON'T GO I LOVE YOU SO MUCH :qq:)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

It was probably an alien T-rex from the distant past of a planet where everything is bigger. :v:

Alternatively, only stupid, stunted dinosaurs fell into tar pits.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's not about 5 meters tall, which is how tall a T-rex was :science:

This is America, pal. Get out of here with your screwy measurements.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Irish Joe being able to poo poo up threads.

I like how I'm taking flak here despite being one of the few people praising the new episodes/season. Seriously, there is nothing but hate coming from that thread and regulars are looking for any reason to complain (ex. the bank lady resembling silence lady is further proof Moffat hates women--what the gently caress?). Don't blame those of us trying to defend the series for getting caught in the tidal wave of poo poo swamping everything in that thread.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

though it's not a "bandwagon" thing. It's a personal-experience-thing that got me, on reflection, really loving angry.

Not the least bit surprised you have mental problems.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dabir posted:

Reminder to not respond to Irish Joe, serial shitposter.

Gotta make you think when the only person of sound mind posting here is a serial shitposter. :crossarms:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Did you miss the part where she only started hearing voices after her sister disappeared? The kid wasn't brain damaged or insane, she was dealing with grief.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, but we all know that way too many parents resort to medication when they don't want to deal with their children's issues. Maive needed therapy, not pills to keep her quiet.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

No she didn't. She literally didn't.

Well, yeah, because her sister was literally speaking to her through the trees. Therapy might have helped her, as the doctor put it, not listen so hard, but her sister still would have been there whispering sweet nothings into Maive's ear.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Her name isn't Missy, its MissMe.

MissMe? MISS ME? MISS? ME?

PriorMarcus posted:

If Missy is an evil reflection of the Doctor then it would make the fact she's the first female regeneration of the Doctor seem a little sexist.

Congratulations, you're the first person in this thread to chime in with

:siren: PREEMPTIVE OUTRAGE :siren:

over something that has yet to, and most likely won't, happen. Please collect your prize on the way out.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Guy A. Person posted:

I don't think "seems a little sexist" comes off as all that outraged.

"Seem" is the weasel word cowards use when they want to be on the record saying something, but don't actually want be called on the carpet for it. So whenever I see someone use the word "seem," I just assume they mean "is."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
And that baby's name was... Clara Oswald.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

twoot posted:

Clara's Gran is in the castlist. With the comments about it being insensitive I'm guessing they kill her off in the first 5 mins and make a mess of it.

Yeah, but remember: Doctor Who fans are hypersensitive babies. "Being insensitive to people who've lost someone" could mean anything, really. Also, "people who've lost someone" is literally everyone who has ever lived, so..

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wouldn't go that far, but its definitely a case of people who've so immersed themselves in tumblrisms that they lost the ability to process what they watch like normal human beings.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
From the Master to Who, Who to the Master, Clara to Pink, Jenny to Vastra...?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

HD DAD posted:

People are being retarded and respecting the request not to spoil poo poo.

I read the spoiler thread and I have no idea what's happening in the finale. Apparently I'm reading the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wall-to-wall farting aliens.

• Locked thread