Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

He really doesn't though :confused:

What? Where are you getting this from? I watched The Trial of a Time Lord for the first time this week, and just pulled up the episode and checked again... this is the verbatim quote:

The Master posted:

There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you. The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

...there have been multiple reports that Moffat is notoriously slow at writing scripts / revising other people's scripts (he supposedly got the 50th special script in only a few weeks before filming, which gave the design and costuming departments very little time to do their thing)

Isn't the 50th special still more than a few weeks away from filming?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

The 50th wrapped shooting on May 5. Location filming with Hurt, Tennant and Smith was done in the first few weeks of April (which is when we saw photos of all three, plus the Zygon), and then they moved to soundstages. Post-production will take a while, surely, and there's no reason they can't shoot a bit for the 50th while they film the Christmas special this summer (like how they shot the Hurt piece for The Name of the Doctor while they were making the 50th special) but the actual, "official" filming portion is in the can.

Oh, right right. I was mixing it up with the Christmas Special, I think.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harlock posted:

Don't want to be typecast as the Doctor as he wants to continue his acting career.

Has any Doctor ever really been typecast after leaving? People always bring this up, but are there even that many roles similar enough to the Doctor to make that a real concern?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I want Karl Urban. However I know it will be someone like Robert Sheehan, Iwan Rheon, or Joseph Gilgun. They have been in tv shows, and if they were in a movie it was a bit part.

Based on the way Robert Sheehan left Misfits, I'm not sure the producers would want to take that chance with him.... but I do suddenly really want to see the Doctor somehow saddled with Nathan as a companion.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aurora posted:

He's not the 'real 8th Doctor', they're already getting around that by every other Doctor striking him from the counting, it seems. Numbering is intact, as far as we know.

It may not change the numbering, but it does change the number of regenerations that there have been.

Edit: Actually, I guess it's "incarnation", so that probably does mean Doctors.

The Master posted:

There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you. The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation.

It could go either way, really.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Only if we get a head-companion.

Don't say that, you know it would be River.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

He can't - he was already Baltazar in the animated movie.

Bicyclops posted:

Also Mr. Finch in School Reunion.

You guys do remember that Karen Gillan played a role in Fires of Pompeii before being cast as Amy, right?

I don't think that previously appearing on Doctor Who rules people out as much as you think.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Renzian posted:

Possibly. I think we might even see the Time Lords/Gallifrey restored. I have no idea how Moffat would make it work, what with the leadership being entirely corrupt and amoral by the end of the Time War, but hey, writing his way out of problems is what he gets paid tons of money to do so

The newly-regenerated Doctor gets a job in the Time Lord government scaring incompetent Gallifreyan bureaucrats straight through profanity-laden tirades?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, and the Holiday Special, obviously.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

Holiday Special owns. Haters.

For the record, the only one that I dislike out of the three that I listed is Attack of the Clones, haha. I just wanted it to be a weird list.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ben Soosneb posted:

I might be weird, but all I want is some of the action to take place at early 80's Heathrow, explaing why the Doctor couldn't get Teegan home.

Well it's not really what I want at all, but it's fun to come up with weird ideas.

What about that time they went to Heathrow in Time-Flight?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dirt posted:

I watched "The Five Doctors". Was kinda weird. What was the deal with Tom Baker not really being in it? Like he was "in the movie" but had no speaking parts.

Tom Baker declined to appear in it, so all of the footage of him is unused stuff from Shada.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I'll say this for Moffat, he at least didn't include Eccleston in it when he didn't want to be involved, instead of just splicing in footage from The Second Coming or something.

Are you posting from the future? For all we know Day of the Doctor may end with Hurt's regeneration into 9.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Renzian posted:

CS Lewis was a theological giant and contributed greatly to Christian theology and understandings of God within the Christian faith. He's a pretty big figure, come on dude.

Yes yes, we all know he's good at writing fiction.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I can't believe they kept that end cameo under wraps.

They didn't.

quote:

"I am in the special," said Baker. "I'm not supposed to tell you that, but I tell you that very willingly and specifically; the BBC told me not to tell anybody but I'm telling you straightaway."

It was posted in this thread, probably a few pages back.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm looking at it right now and I'm not seeing anything other than shiny regeneration light.

Really? Spot the difference:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 25, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

He made The Chase. BSG barely makes up for it,

There are so many terrible Star Trek episodes, and you have some issue with The Chase? It's not even a bad episode.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Just noticed this picture and making the Cybermen act more like the Borg feels bizarrely ironic in a lot of ways.

More like making the Cybermen act more like they did in Tomb of the Cybermen...

(Anyways, they already made them act more like the Borg in Nightmare in Silver)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I guess it's a good thing there isn't some sick, maniacal film archivist out there hoarding Doctor Who episodes unless fans do horrible things.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

"Season" makes sense if it's around 13 episodes, ie about as long as one actual season. When American shows get to be 20+ episodes long it makes no more sense to call it a season than a series or block or set or whatever.

The US Television season is 8 months long, though. September through May. It doesn't have anything to do with the 4 seasons of the year.

That's like saying that "duck hunting season" or "the Christmas season" or "seasonal fruit" can only use that word if they last around the same time as an "actual season".

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 8, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I wonder just how many times in this thread people are going to "confirm" that Strax, Vastra, and Jenny are back. That's basically the only thing we've known for sure about this season for the longest time.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

e X posted:

Wasn't the whole idea behind " A Good Man Goes To War" that the doctor gathers up past allies to help him out in his hour of need? Did Moffat just flat out forgot that you need to actually establish these allies before you can bring them back? Would be a very Moffat thing to do. One of his writing quirks is definitely that he likes the pay off more than the build up.

To be fair, he did apparently want to get Captain Jack in it too, but John Barrowman was busy filming Torchwood.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

And that's going a bit out of your way for Pegg and Hynes, considering they've been in the TV version too.

But not in the same story. :colbert:

And Invaders From Mars came first!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bown posted:

The horse instantly obeys, galloping forwards. The Doctor, in a nightshirt, riding bare back through London!

is Steven Moffat a fifteen year old girl?

Here's a picture of Steven Moffat in his office:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I really dislike the whole Clara "you are old now I don't know who you are" Last season she literally went through his entire past and visited every version of him, should should be aware that he can be old and that he regenerates and changes none of this should be a surprise at all.

Well even The Doctor doesn't quite know who he'll be with each new regeneration. They do often have markedly different personalities. And this is a whole new set of regenerations, which adds another unknown to the equation, for her.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bown posted:

I had Robots of Sherwood described to me and it sounds unusually awful even for a Gatiss episode. Apparently they do the "first guy hits the bullseye and then the second guy splits the first arrow in two" cliche twice.

You know that's a cliche nowadays because of the Robin Hood story, right?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bown posted:

Not sure by what logic this excuses lazy writing.

Because if you're making a Robin Hood-based story, obviously there are going to be references to the original story? You might as well be saying, "Pfft, they have some guy stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, what a cliche!"

Note: I haven't seen the episode and it probably is terrible and derivative. I just think that if you're doing a Robin Hood story to begin with, you're going to get those references.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 17, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

qntm posted:

There is no "the original story" of Robin Hood. The arrow-splitting thing is from Errol Flynn's version.

Yeah, I know it's a series of stories and ballads and embellishments. I guess I should have said the original canon or the source material or something.
The arrow splitting didn't originate in Errol Flynn's version, though, here's part of a ballad from the 17th or 18th century:

quote:

But brave jolly Robin shot under his hand,
And then did hit the mark right.
And Clifton he then, with his arrow so good,
The willow-wood cleaved in two;
The Miller’s young son came not short, by the rood,
His skill he most bravely did show.

Although it's not actually Robin doing the arrow-splitting, in that case. Either way, though, the Errol Flynn version is definitely one of the more influential modern versions of the story, anyways.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 17, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Varance posted:

The arrow contest is a good example. After loving with Robin Hood, he blew up the target with the Sonic just to prove that it was all bullshit (target contained machinery that facilitated the arrow splitting).

So it sounds like it is at least trying to subvert the convention a bit, then.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So is Coraline.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Coraline the movie is great. The book was just a "Hey, I'm writing a grim kids book" thing. Neil Gaiman is very hit and miss.

I actually haven't seen the movie, only read it in book & comic forms.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Dinosaurs weren't that big. If bad writing or bad acting can spoil a tv show then I don't see why it should get away with bad dinosaurfeel.

Dinosaurs also didn't evolve into reptilian humanoids in the real world.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

And if it had been a giant reptilian humanoid or some kind of alien that was the size of Big Ben that would be a different matter. They explicitly say it was a dinosaur though, and dinosaurs weren't that big.

Yes, but preconceptions about what dinosaurs are supposed to be like are meaningless in the context of a world that already differs by having reptilian humanoids.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I blame bleed over from the Toxx thread

What? The Toxx thread has been fairly positive and is nearly entirely populated by posters from the other thread.

I don't think it's effecting the main thread in the slightest aside from the occasional comment on the Toxx thread.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I"m too far behind to read all the posts here and in the episode threads and holy poo poo you guys. Did we talk about Rusty potentially being the dalek that souffle girl ends up in?

Huh? I don't think she was placed inside a pre-existing Dalek in Asylum of the Daleks, she was turned into one.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A far more likely explanation is that the bus was rented, placed in the shot, they didn't notice the advert on the side until afterwards, and didn't want to waste money with a reshoot. So now it's an easter egg.

You turbonerds.

Seriously? You think the set dressers, production team, director, etc. wouldn't immediately notice the giant ad with their lead actors' faces on it? Do you think they hired blind set dressers, or what? Or really inattentive set dressers who also have face blindness?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 23, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

Worst episode of the revival? Come on now, it was better than most of the episodes this series! How can you possibly think that was worse than (usual list of bad episodes).

PriorMarcus posted:

Taking pills for mental health problems is bad.

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm absolutely CERTAIN that at least one kid is off-meds or wants to go off-meds because of this episode and that's likely going to be a disaster for them :smith:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Varance posted:

I was mocking you. :ssh:

In that case, why are you being a dick about a serious subject?

quote:

... also, this is an argument for D&D, not the Doctor Who spoiler thread.

It's kind of one of the main discussion points regarding this episode. If anything, it's an argument for the main Doctor Who thread, not the spoiler thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Varance posted:

Part of my job function at work is transporting kids with various developmental disabilities around town. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you should hear what they have to say about their parents. It's really sad.

But I honestly don't know what out of your posts is intended to be serious and what is supposed to be "mocking".

quote:

For every legitimate case for medication, there's a good 5-6 kids that are unnecessarily medicated because mommy and daddy don't want to deal with that poo poo.

Like, is this supposed to be facetious? Because it's certainly not true.

• Locked thread