Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

smashthedean posted:

It also just seems like they've already packed a 1/4 of the Doctor's life so far into Matt Smith's regeneration (if he's in his 1200s and Tennant regenerated in his 900s) and it would be really weird if they added another 900 years to his time as the Doctor making Capaldi ~2100 years old.

In Day of the Doctor, 11 says "1200 years old, I think. Unless I'm lying. I can't remember if I'm lying about my age, that's how old I am."

I remember one of the Eighth Doctor Adventures audios has 8 stuck on a planet for the better part of a millennium, so its safe to say that the Doctor has no clue exactly how old he is, and only recently started keeping relative track (His stated age as the 10th and 11th Doctor seem to be fairly internally consistent.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

Moffat is quoted in about a billion articles as calling Matt Smith "the Thirteenth Doctor" (alt Ten and Hurt both count), so it looks like at least part of it is true.

The Doctor just lies about his age so i don't much care if the 900 years thing is true, but I do think this feels like a quick, roughshod way to address the regeneration limit, which I'm not a big fan of. The only reason to address it at all would be for narrative reasons, because, honestly, it would be so easy to just handwave in a dozen different ways. The only good thing about the regeneration limit would be making the Doctor examine his own mortality, which he is apparently now going to do in a single episode.

He's been questioning his mortality since at least Tennant's year of specials. First it was "Regeneration is a lot like dying for the previous incarnation. I die and some new man goes sauntering away." And then in 11's run he's been running from Lake Silencio and Trenzalore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

Sure, but I mean, what's the purpose of even addressing the 13 limit otherwise, narratively? Because people are big on their weird canon? I know everyone seems to think this is an important part of Who Lore but the Master basically got an entirely new cycle with barely any explanation besides "Time War" and I'd frankly be fine with the same for the Doctor.

I suppose they could be introducing it for The Mystery of Where the New Regeneration Came From. I don't know, I guess I'll have to see how they play it out.

There are a whole legion of continuity-buffs out there (a minority, I know, but a VERY vocal one) that would be very upset if the regeneration limit wasn't addressed in some way. Hell, look at us! We're sitting here in this thread discussing the merits of addressing it. That means we're aware of it. Some of us want to to be quietly ignored, some people want it quietly addressed, some people want it to be a season-long story arc.

For me, its an Interesting Thing (tm). Its been established in various sources that Time Lords generally only get 13 lives. There are ways around it, and exploring whatever way around it that the Doctor goes with has good storytelling potential. Its pretty much assured that he won't be stealing the lives of other time lords like the Master and the Valeyard tried to do, and it doesn't seem like the Doctor's MO to do the Time Lords' dirty work in exchange for a new regenerative cycle, so seeing just how the Doctor gets out of this particular jam is a fun thing to consider.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Classtoise posted:

Only 1 n in that type of canon. Also, this is how multi-Doctor stories ALWAYS go. "Only the latest one remembers".

Except Time Crash, where the information to save the day came from nowhere.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rita Repulsa posted:

Moffat seemed to indicate he's keeping the old numbering that doesn't count hurt, and remember that smith's first episode was The Eleventh Hour

My view on it is that Matt Smith is playing the 13th "body" (1-8, War, 9, 10, spare 10, 11), but from the point of view of those episodes in particular he's the 11th Doctor. 1-11, no War and the burnt off regeneration that 10 used didn't result in a new face. Its not the most elegant solution, but it would let them address the regen-limit now rather than later.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It looks like Capaldi will keeping the same console room for a little bit. I like that, I feel like we barely got to know the current one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

twoot posted:

I can't see Moffat not getting River out of the Library computer before his showrunner tenure is up.

Probably through a initially associated story which enables creating flesh bodies for digital programs or someshit.

She's already appeared once as a transmitted digital avatar or some such. I'm really not sure what here appearance in Name of the Doctor is supposed to represent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The 10,000 film cans contain the other 4/5ths of Trial of a Time Lord.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm fine with them "explaining away" why he looks like That Guy From Pompeii, but I just hope it isn't a Moffat-Plot that takes the whole season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

vegetables posted:

While I know it's a terrible idea, a part of me is really taken with the concept that the name the Doctor took during the Time War was "John Hurt" and the actor of the same name exists as a result of the conflict. It seems a strangely appropriate name for him to have chosen in-universe, like it's an attempt to be a bit badass that has gone completely wrong.

I posted a couple times in the lead up to the 50th that I was really sad that "The Hurt Doctor" wasn't going to be his in-universe name. Its so perfect!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Prenton posted:

I think one of the New Adventures books did this.

the last issue of IDW's Doctor Who line did this too. Complete with the 11th Doctor suggesting to Matt Smith that Peter Capaldi should play the next Doctor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Irish Joe posted:

Where did Vastra come from, anyway? Isn't she an old RTD character?

The Silurians weren't even in Modern-Who until Series 5. Vastra herself first appeared in Good Man Goes to War, I believe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, with Paul McGann returning to our screens in 2013 and regenerating into John Hurt of all people, I'm not willing to completely dismiss anything out of hand. I don't think 8 returning again (to team up with 12 or otherwise) is likely, but its certainly possible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gaz-L posted:

Dark Eyes is basically Big Finish doing just that while Nick Briggs puts on his best innocent face and shrugs.

I've been rather enjoying just how much Time War stuff they've managed to slip in there. I wonder if this is some kind of lead up to an expansion of BF's license. I'd kill for a couple War Doctor audios. Or at least an explicit mention of the Time War going on and 8 doing his best to stay out of the way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

As someone who has yet to listen to any of the Dark Eyes stuff, what sort of nods have they been doing?

Dark Eyes 2 in particular has an offhand mention of greater trouble than usual brewing between the Daleks and the Time Lords and then the Master specifically says he was brought back to life by the Time Lords for "something". In the revival show he has that whole thing of "I was brought back to fight in the time war but I got the heck out of there"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

So apparently the second episode is going to involve the Daleks? I was kind of hoping to not see them again for a while.

Isn't there some agreement in place that mandates the BBC to put Daleks in at least one episode per season?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kikka posted:

Is Moffat still showrunner? Can I start watching Who again?

Yes to both questions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Noxville posted:

Why not just solve it in one loving episode. Oh, I forgot, Steven Moffat needs to show off just how super clever he is.

I dunno, we managed to resolve the regeneration limit in a single episode. I fully expected that to be a season-long gambit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

marktheando posted:

To be fair, there was a line or two in the 50th that suggested she didn't really remember any of that.

If nothing else she still remembers hanging out with 10 and "Captain Grumpy".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

I loving hate this so much.

I dunno, its nice to see that the Doctor does stuff that we don't see on screen. I hate the feeling that every moment of a given Doctor's incarnation is documented on-screen. Big Finish fleshes out Doctors 4 through 8, but it can really feel like the 13 episodes of Season 1 is the entirety of 9's adventures (Don't get me started the little gap before "Oh and did I mention it also travels in time?" bit).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Republican Vampire posted:

The black and white screener of Robots of Sherwood's apparently up now. Marcelo Camargo must be making GBS threads himself.

How does this keep happening?! Haha.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the only issue with the War Doctor is now that he's not "The rear end in a top hat Who Burned Gallifrey So We Don't Call Him The Doctor", the numbering becomes a bit wibbly. If they never used the numbering in-show, I'd be okay with it...but we had that bit in Lodger where he straight up says "I'm the Eleventh!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spatula City posted:

I will accurately predict what Missy is by throwing literally every theory I can think of against the wall.

Theory 1: It's The Master, regenerated as a woman. I mean, "Missy".
Theory 2: Missy is just a regular person the Doctor meets. He changes her life for the better, and she becomes obsessed with him. The Doctor hasn't yet met her, but will in the course of this series.
Theory 2b: Missy is Courtney from the upcoming episodes The Caretaker and Kill the Moon.
Theory 3: Missy is a Clara.
Theory 4: Missy is a hologram.
Theory 5: Missy is the Rani.
Theory 6: Missy is Romana.
Theory 7: Missy is Rassilon.
Theory 8: Missy is a Cyberman?
Theory 9: Missy is, somehow, River Song
Theory 10: Missy is the 13th Doctor
Theory 11: Missy is literally Mary Poppins
theory 12: Missy is a Zygon
Theory 13: Missy is a TARDIS
Theory 14: Missy is a Rutan
Theory 15: Missy is the Valeyard
Theory 16: Missy is the Doctor's number one fan on Tumblr
Theory 17: Missy is a timey wimey ball of wibbly-wobbly stuff.
Theory 18: Missy is the demon from The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
Theory 19: Missy is some random monster from a Big Finish audio
Theory 20: Missy is a werewolf
Theory 21: Missy is Rose
Theory 22: Missy is just, you know, this woman who has a pretty cool job running the Digital Afterlife, and has gotten too obsessed with watching the Doctor's exploits for her own good.
Theory 23: Missy is one of the Doctor's old girlfriends from Gallifrey
Theory 24: Missy is Clara's daughter
Theory 25: Missy is Jenny
Theory 26: Missy is a childhood friend of Clara's we've never met before that will just suddenly appear in an episode as if she'd always been there, and what are you talking about, of course she's always been there.
Theory 27: Missy is a sex-changed Captain Jack
Theory 28: Missy is Missy
Theory 29: Missy is the Nightmare Child
Theory 30: Missy is the Apex Hider
Theory 31: Missy is a very sophisticated Clockwork Robot
Theory 32: Missy is somebody Eleven met offscreen
Theory 33: Missy is a Tesselecta, as if that explains anything at all
Theory 34: Missy is a children's storybook monster
Theory 35: Missy is a ghost
Theory 36: Missy is not literally Mary Poppins, but the inspiration for her
Theory 37: Missy is a cleverly disguised Weeping Angel
Theory 38: Missy is a vampire
Theory 39: Missy is whatever you want her to be.
Theory 40: Missy is Madame Kovarian's sister, out for REVENGE
Theory 41: Missy is Madame Kovarian
Theory 42: Missy is God

I am earnestly impressed. I've never seen a single person endeavor to be all of the infinite monkeys at once.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Laivaren posted:

Is it just me or does the series 8 episodes all feel rushed, like too fast paced?

No time to dwell, just set-up, action, conclusion, done.

All part of Moffat's assertion that there isn't a story that cannot be told in 45 minutes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I'll believe it tomorrow. Trust nothing on April 1st.

Edit: and upon reading the full text of the article, it is an obvious prank.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm honestly kind of okay with each actor only doing 3 or so seasons before regeneration. Part of the fun of the show is seeing a brand new actor (with new personality traits, etc) take over the role, and especially with the possibility of later coming back for Big Finish stuff, there's no reason to keep any one actor in the role forever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I see the Christmas special will keep up the tradition of being terrible then.

Do we know anything about it beyond this one picture?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I LOVE THE ROUND THINGS

What even are the round things?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The entire comments section of that video is saying it's fake...and there's nothing on the official BBC or Doctor Who channels either...I think we have been fooled

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I sincerely hope this is handled maturely by scripts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Let the Paternoster gang jump over to Big Finish where they rightfully belong. We got Jago & Litefoot & Strax....give me Vastra & Jenny & Quick next.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Watching homophobes on social media melt the gently caress down over Bill is really giving me life. Like...do these people really spend their daily lives in a state of constant fear that the gays are taking over television?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

The gays, blacks, asians, etc. Anyone not straight and white, basically. I noticed they tested the waters a bit last season with Clara hinting at same sex dalliances.

Yeah, people are latching into that too. "Clara was bi! Bill doesn't need to be gay, you people just got representation!!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Christ. :cripes: Yes, don't be greedy, gays! You got Clara! And Captain Jack only 8 years ago!

I never counted Jack as he was more of a recurring guest than a full time companion. Plus they wrote him as coming from a time when pan/Omni sexuality was the norm.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

did missy dab?!

She most certainly did

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It was a random one-off joke line about how they visited Jane Austen and Clara snogged her a bit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe the season will end on a regeneration cliffhanger, like the 10th Doctor one before the next episode had him shunt the energy to his spare hand?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping that the Big Finish modern doctor Chronicles releases will revisit Canton. The 9th Doctor set has Jackie and Adam, the Lives of Captain Jack box has Alonso. I could see them shelling out for Mark Sheppard for a single episode of the 11th Doctor box.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There may be something to that old chestnut about casual fans not liking a non-young/sexy doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

It's me, I'm the new Doctor.

Username post combo?

• Locked thread