Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You know what would be really cool? McGann's Doctor witnessing the start of the Time War atrocities and refusing to participate, so he either gives up completely and forces a regen or the Time Lords force one on him to get a better "soldier". Then you can rectify Smith's "not in the name of the Doctor" comment as him being angry the Hurt Doctor complied and gave the Time Lords the weapon they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Those ankle cover things are so awesome. Gives the whole costume a very WW2-esque feel, which I'm sure was intentional.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just want Moffat to bring dignity back to regeneration. It felt so weird for Ten to forestall the process and actually complain about having to go. Every other Doc accepted that his time was up. Eleven should do the same.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

We hear a TARDIS in the background but 10 and 11 are arguing/fawning over each other too loudly for them to notice. 9 walks into the background, sees the two of them, mouths "NOPE!" and gets back into his TARDIS and leaves.

This would be pretty much perfect.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's such a drat shame Smith is leaving, because I really feel he's at his peak. He's refined the character for a couple seasons now and he just seems so at home in the role that I wonder if there are any BTS issues that influenced his departure. One wonders if he's had his fill of Moffat's rumored meltdowns.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

shades of eternity posted:

2. they managed to make Rose even a greater "special snowflake" then they ever did in previous incantations. Although Billie Piper's acting ability allowed me to delay realizing it for a while, so well done. She literally as a sentient weapon of mass destruction retconned to make rose the most special Mary Sue in all of whodom. I had to check to ensure that it wasn't rtd writing the script. :p.
It really didn't though. It wasn't Rose at all. Again, this is something explained within the episode in dialogue that people somehow missed. It's as if the sudden appearances of Piper and Baker caused people to just blank out and forget everything that was stated.

She's not Rose. The Moment's AI chose Rose's appearance from The Doctor's future. I hate Rose, but I enjoyed Piper's performance because she wasn't Rose at all and she had fun with it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
At least the synopsis carries on the tradition of the Christmas specials being garbage. 11 deserves a better way to go. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Clara looks aged as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is that a new outfit for 11? Everything but the overcoat looks different.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
How has this not been posted?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Guy A. Person posted:

when he regenerates and we see his first moments as The Doctor

Is this actually being shown though? The synopsis made it sound like Smith goes out in a huge flash of light and the next time you see The Doctor or the TARDIS is at the very end where it's just an open door waiting for Clara.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Which means the chances of seeing the new costume are higher. Unless he wears 11's costume for more than the premier, which would be a bit...morbid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Moffat lies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Here's Peter Capaldi riding a horse in his pajamas. :laffo:

http://io9.com/peter-capaldi-rides-a-horse-in-his-pajamas-on-the-set-o-1500629499

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
RTD wrote much stronger characters. Moffat's a great idea man, but his writing is all over the place.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

It's one of the reasons I liked Rings of Akhaten last season. Perfectly alien world, visually very different, lots of creatures, etc. More of that!

No, no, no, you see Moffat needs to bring back more of his Very Clever Pet Characters because they're Very Clever, you see. And that means going back to Victorian England.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My problem with the Paternoster Gang is that they’re all one note characters built around a single joke/idea and not given any characterization beyond that.

Strax is the worst example of this. It’s very obvious that Moffat’s only thought when creating the character was “Wouldn’t it be hilarious if a SONTARAN was a NURSE?” and then called it a day. His only reason for existing is to wear silly outfits and say SONTARAN things. He can be funny, but the schtick gets old fast and I can’t imagine Moffat stretching that poo poo out for the rest of the character’s existence.

Vastra fares best out of all three, but she still suffers from Moffat’s usual characterization of women. We’re told that she’s intelligent and cunning and all these other things, but we’re rarely shown this. She’s presented as a female Sherlock, but it really only sticks in The Crimson Horror. In every other appearance she just follows along in the Doctor’s wake so that Matt Smith has someone to discuss the plot resolution with.

Jenny suffers from a similar fault in characterization as Strax, but her issue is that she is entirely defined by her relationship with Vastra. She only exists as a reason for Vastra to show emotion or make relationship jokes. In the one minuscule chance we’ve seen her exist for a reason beyond that, Moffat turned her into an over-sexualized Emma Peel knockoff. And yes, I know, “That’s because that episode featured Diana Rigg!”, but it’s not an excuse.

They’ve been in four episodes. The jokes have been told and played out. Just give them a loving rest already.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The pants seem a bit...cheap. Coat looks great though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kircheis posted:

At Chicago TARDIS, someone asked Colin if he knew what he would have picked if he had input into the costume, and his response was, "yes, and then they gave it to Christopher Eccleston!"

This probably would have been far more awful and cringeworthy than what we got. I can't imagine Colin, with his ridiculous blonde afro, in a bad 80's leather jacket. I can't even imagine that look working with anyone but Eccleston and maybe Tennant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think the ?s on the collar would look great with his outfit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The 12th Doctor is actually River Song/Clara's future son/grand-uncle. You heard it here first.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

The same person who leaked the entire Name of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor synopses early also leaked that the amnesia plot takes up several episodes.

CLEVAH

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe it's the Stockholm syndrome talking, but this wouldn't be the worst thing Moffat's done, and we'd be getting the most asked-for villain returning. I'll take anything that isn't Cybermen, Daleks, or Sontarans for the billionth loving time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The sontaran sidekick that constantly popped up in Smith's run has pretty much burnt out the entire race for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd love a pm to the full scripts. I can't really spend time digging around for them while at work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
How about the scene where Strax forgets what hair and clothes are even though he's been living in London for years. HILARIOUS, no?

kill me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Doctor Who Spoilers Season 8: Sonic Screwdriver Dick Jokes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So the first episode is hot garbage.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There are tiny tiny hints of a different type of Doctor in the first and second script. 12 flat-out tells the baddie in ep. 1 that he's going to kill him and then does. And then there's this bit in ep. 2:

THE DOCTOR:
I materialized a time capsule exactly round you and saved your life one second before your ship exploded, but do please keep crying.

JOURNEY:
My brother just died!

THE DOCTOR:
His sister didn't. You're very welcome. Put the gun down.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm digging Into The Dalek, but I'm only 20 pages in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ahahahaha spoons will be the new fez. They must be trolling the idiots.

Inside the Dalek is a solid C/C+

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
How in the gently caress does shooting a solid gold arrow into the engine of a ship as it's flying away contribute just enough gold to limp it into orbit and then explode? Even for a show with a shapeshifting old man flying around in a wooden box, this is just too much for me. It doesn't even make any sense within the context of the script.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sonance posted:

because Sherlock illustrates he can take charge of a show without running it into the ground

The first and last episodes of the most recent series would prove otherwise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Harlock posted:

There are people who genuinely like it in the other thread

There are people who genuinely like it in this thread too (myself among them), which is probably why they're so disappointed. You can criticize a poo poo script and still be a fan of the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Listen is definitely the best of the first four, but the monster is never truly revealed or even expanded on, and the ending relies too much on sentimental VoiceOver bullshit. It's a solid C though. Only the premier and Robin Hood have been an absolute chore for me to get through.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If that's true, it only really explains the Doctor's nightmare. What about the scene in the cold open or the scene in the children's home?

FWIW, I really hope they stick to the scripts description of the new console room; a second story lined with bookshelves and chalkboards full of equations and mad scribblings.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Rick isn't supposed to be The Doctor. He's clearly a hosed up Doc Brown from back to the future.

I fully support 12 as Rick fanart. Everyone should watch Rick & Morty. EVERYONE.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 9, 2014

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Meseeks episode best episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Inkspot posted:

So, I picked a random episode of Rick and Morty and ended up watching the one with television from alternate dimensions. I was in tears during the Two Brothers trailer. Not sure how I've missed it until now, but thanks for the recommendations. Totally worth it.

Finally, something good came from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Stop spoilering things in the SPOILER thread. :psyduck:

• Locked thread