Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that would be a good basis. A small landing party story like The Genocide Machine would be really cool.

So JLC gets to devour the entire set while playing Robot!Clara?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yes please.
Yes yes yes. Please please please.

Barrowman's still appearing on Arrow, though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And that's going a bit out of your way for Pegg and Hynes, considering they've been in the TV version too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

qntm posted:

It's sort of hilarious to me that the Time War would have an "opening shot". Even actual wars usually have insanely complex networks of causes, and they don't even muck about with causality.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Time War was caused by the Time Lords, the Daleks, three other events which all caused each other, and also, almost certainly, by the Time War.

Dark Eyes is basically Big Finish doing just that while Nick Briggs puts on his best innocent face and shrugs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Interesting, they're in Roald Dahl Plas, home of Torchwood. I wonder if we'll get a reference.

"Hmm, this looks familiar... can't quite place it..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I posted it in the main thread. It'd definitely be cool if Tegan came back. Hell, any of the old companions would be great. And isn't Moffat a big Five fan? So she'd make sense.

Be a different spin on School Reunion.

"OI! Ya couldn't wait 5 bloody seconds before leavin', ya drongo? And what's with the younger model?!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hopefully it's more of a Pertwee thing, where after the premiere he's mostly the Doctor, but just randomly starts talking about other races and adventures and then has no idea where it came from.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Please for the love of God actually give them a good story this time. That doesn't end with them all blowing up.

Pick one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If this gets the Alex MacQueen Master on TV, then I'll sit through another Love & Monsters, if need be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, sounded like Nick Briggs with the lighter modulation he uses when he's playing a Dalek with a personality to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

e X posted:

After the rather disappointing appearance of Davros in the new series so far, I am looking forward to this. Maybe we even see Dalek Caan again, who was a pretty cool idea (haha, yeah, right).

...Davros is the best part of Journey's End, though? :confused:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cruel Rose posted:

Maybe the Dalek Time Controller? It originated in the audios but it was in a novel with Eleven recently...

Wrong way round, actually. Originated in that novel and Briggs took it to the audios.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

However, the URL seems to indicate that this Christmas will see the return of Captain Jack Hawksmoor.

The Doctor Who/Authority crossover everyone was waiting for!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I mean it is just a major bummer, at some point they've gotta just admit it's time to give it a go and cast a woman. It's a show that benefits from shake-ups and changes, and if Chibnall's directions are literally "Just emulate the David Tennant era, so we can sell more t-shirts," that's the worst reason for lacking casting diversity. Oh well. :(

Couldn't they cast a woman and then go for the young sexy white dude as the companion or one of the companions, though? It's not like Billie Piper wasn't marketable as Rose, nor Gillen as Amy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's the new Gordon the Gopher.

EDIT:I also have no idea how Marshall would in any way fit the bill of what the Beeb supposedly want? Like, he's not that young or 'sexy', he's a bland dude known for lovely ads, a lovely sitcom and a decent procedural. The 'alienated' fans aren't liable to flood back for this dude, the choice is aggressively 'safe' to the point that they're likely handicapping Chibnall before he can even get out of the gate because he'll have no buzz, and the tumblr crowd is as likely to backlash against yet another white straight dude as anything.

Like, I'd get it if it was some 20-something model-looking guy, like those early publicity stills of Matt looked, but Kris Marshall? (I'm sure if it IS him, he'll be fine, but that's the problem. I should be anticipating AWESOME, not 'fine')

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 21, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did Capaldi ever deny it the last time?

I suppose as a pro-wrestling fan I'm just inherently skeptical of performers denying they're doing something because in that world, those denials are as likely to mean they are DEFINITELY doing that thing as they are to be sincere.

If I was Chibnall, I'd be pushing for the most oddball, controversial choice possible, because the more news and Daily Mail outrage you can stir up, the more eyes are liable to be on the Series 11 premiere, and I assume he's writing that. Basically, given the rumours, I'd want that attention because I'd have my best, most amazing Who story that I'd been working on for YEARS ready to go and just give me ONE chance and I'll hook the biggest audience ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maxine Peake struck me as the choice they'd go with if they actually wanted Swinton.

I'm almost mad about this Coel thing, actually, because she's not someone I've seen much of, and hadn't occurred to me, but now seems like such a slam dunk choice that they'll never do it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Stairs posted:

Did you see Love Actually?
He was the weasely poo poo that went to America because girls there are "easier".

And this is why the choice, assuming it's him, baffles me. Love Actually was FOURTEEN years ago. Like, this is because they want someone young and hot like Smith and Tennant? Nothing says that like a bland dude in his forties that your gran watches in a whodunnit.

I kinda feel bad for the dude, because the audience is going to be at best underwhelmed, at worst he'll be torn apart for not being sexy enough by one faction, and for being the boring, safe choice by another. I really, really hope this was forced on Chibnall by the Beeb, because if it was his free choice, it speaks to a very, very unambitious view of things. Of course, if it was the BBC, I half suspect it's setting the show up to fail to the point where they can cancel it.

I hope it's actually Waller-Bridge and the bookies are keeping the odds a little longer for her because of the lack of precedent. (Yeah, yeah, I know, that one goon has pissed in everyone's cornflakes and made it clear they're not doing anything interesting)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Eccleston had years of "hard northern bastard" to draw upon. Kris Marshall may well be able to pull it off, but he is by far the least interesting option. That said, I eventually warmed to Smith and I think he was better than Tennant (Smith at least seemed slightly off, which is what I want from a Doctor, rather than a Pat Sharp impersonator).

Do you mean Tennant or Marhsall for that last comment because Jesus, I never thought about it but Marshall DOES look like Sharp!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Ayoade would only be good for a "The Curse of Fatal Death" type of deal because hes an atrocious actor otherwise. Which is fine, because its obvious that his talents lie elsewhere.

Yeah, he's real good on the new Crystal Maze, but I don't think he has the range as an actor to do much beyond the quirky, anti-social snarking, which is a part of the Doctor, but not the whole.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tikifire posted:

In the interview they released after the announcement she said that wasn't her "Doctor" costume in the reveal video.

It's really obviously Twelve's outfit because she just regnerated? Like, long frock-coat and hoodie? Do people really not pay attention to what Capaldi wears?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And it ends up being Six's coat reworked into a summer dress.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
*The Doctor pats herself down, tilts head, pulls a strand of platinum blonde hair into her eyeline...*

"Oh for... I was really trying for ginger this time!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Can someone clarify something for me please: who exactly is Gatiss playing here? Because I have a suspicion but I don't want it to be correct.

I had the same thought, but I don't think so. Maybe his father or grandfather, but I agree with the idea this looks like it's during WW1 and that would be too early for him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, he doesn't. He plays Hartnell playing the Doctor, yes, but there's no scene in it that has Doctor Who being anything other than fictional.

I think the argument is that this is so fine a distinction as to be meaningless.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

This would be like if somebody cast a new actor to play "Dr. No's Bond" and asked them to do an imitation of Sean Connery.

See, the two points here are A: Yes, it is, no one is disputing that, it's only that you think that's inappropriate and others disagree and B: I actually don't think Bradley is mimicking Hartnell so much as trying to evoke him and his performance. He's very clearly not going as big as Hartnell did, and didn't do so even in the biopic's recreations of old scenes. He's doing a more modern, naturalistic take on things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Here's why none of those comparisons work, though.... Sean Connery as James Bond never had a crossover episode with the other James Bonds. He is not established in-universe as a separate character who could show up at any time via time travel. Same with Batman.

(It probably could work in Star Trek, and all of those characters already ARE playing those original portrayals, despite many of the cast still being alive. Chris Pine IS doing William Shatner just as much as David Bradley is doing Hartnell. And if you don't think that Karl Urban is doing a DeForrest Kelley portrayal, I don't know what to say.)

I'd actually disagree about Pine (until Beyond, it felt like he was doing the caricature that cultural osmosis would have you BELIEVE Kirk was as played by Shatner), but Urban is absolutely doing Kelley. And I think Quinto thinks he's doing Nimoy, but it doesn't always read.

But Bond or Batman are probably the closest analogues we have where the actor's portrayal makes the character substantially different enough to be distinct. Roger Moore Bond and Timothy Dalton Bond and Pierce Brosnan Bond are so different as to be nigh unrecognisable from one another and if the franchise was more compatible with the notion of doing that kind of crossover, you can bet it would've happened by now. Hell, I swear they intended the groundskeeper from Skyfall to be Connery. (And if WB could get away with it, they absolutely would do Affleck and Bale in Batman Vs Batman)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe Frazer is also straight up just playing the Second Doctor now as well.

• Locked thread