Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Burkion posted:

I've heard from the Colin Baker Fan Twitter that all of the living Doctors have filmed parts for the 50th. https://twitter.com/ColinBakerFans

How likely is this to be true?

God drat I hope Colin Baker films something for next season, that would be loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Renzian posted:

I dunno. I still hold to the classic Who idea that the Valeyard comes between the 12th and final Doctor, as a manifestation of his darker impulses. The Valeyard is inseparable from the Doctor because he is the Doctor - he's a vital component of him. All of our darker impulses are vital components of us. And further, I do believe that the inclusion of the Dream Lord may even be a hint toward how things will go when Matt regenerates. If Moffat wasn't planning this whole 'forgotten Doctor' thing back then (and I think it's really possible that he was), there's certainly the set-up for the Dream Lord to reassert it/himself during Matt's regeneration and force a physical entity that is the Valeyard. Hell, if Moffat decides to have the Valeyard as a future villain, maybe he'll get Toby Jones to play him! It'd certainly fit, I think.

Man they aren't gonna hold true to the 13 regeneration a thing, it was a throwaway line in the original story, if the ratings are still strong they will go past 13 for sure.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Renzian posted:

Oh I'm totally with you. I don't doubt for a second that the show will continue on past 13 incarnations of the Doctor - but I think the dramatic potential for the Valeyard as a villain is there, and I really think I recall the Master saying in Trial of a Time Lord that the Valeyard shows/showed up between the 12th and final regeneration of the Doctor. But, I haven't seen it in a while, so I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Yeah, the Valeyard as an enemy would be pretty good, a lot better than trudging the master out again if you ask me.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Royal W posted:

Unless they get Cumberbatch to play the Master. :allears:

SOLD

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Fazana posted:

It's specifically mentioned near the start of the McGann movie as well but after saying that they only get 13 regenerations his very next line is that The Master was never very good at following rules.

That leaves it open to be interpeted as it being a rule or a guideline NOT a physical body regeneration limit or whatever. Though where that leaves the River "Here's all my lives, enjoy!" I dunno.

I think the end of river is just a convenient way to ( hopefully) kill off a side character. Because if there are no more appearances by River, I for one would be totally ok with that.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

miasmacloud posted:

No it's going to be an announcement that everyone's favorite cool sexy movie poster femme fatale River Song is in the 50th anniversary special, and that Steven Moffat will be stepping down as the show runner of Doctor Who to make a spin off like TW/SJA called "The adventures of a prehistoric reptile woman, her wife, and their potato companion".

Not gonna lie, would watch dat show.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Aurora posted:

Strax, Vastra, and Jenny are all super cool and I don't know why people dislike them. :colbert:

Also I really hope we don't just get a continuous cycle of "Doctor for three years and then a new one".

Well I can see from their point that it helps keep the show interesting. New doctor means you can have a completely different persona and mannerisms.

However with that said I really do enjoy Matt Smith, so I hope he sticks around for a while longer!

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Jesus this is terrible, now I wonder who they will have replace him? Hopefully they choose wisely!

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

The article mentioned Damien Lewis, and while I don't think that's very likely, I would be 100% ok with that choice.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

ukle posted:

Not a chance in hell it would be Damien Lewis, hes very in demand at the moment.

Rupert Grint though would tick a lot of boxes, and he can act. But tbh I bet its someone nobody will expect to be the next doctor, seems to be the way its done since the revival.

Yeah I know, but I can wish!

I don't know how I feel about Grint, I think I kind of dont like that idea, but maybe he would be excellent at it, who knows.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

So how is this gonna work now? It says he is only going to have a few specials, but I thought the newest season started well before Christmas, and the Christmas special is to be one of his episodes.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

jivjov posted:

Nope, the next thing that's going to air for Doctor Who is the Anniversary special in November. Then there's the Christmas Special.

Oh, we'll that's disappointing, I thought there was to be more this year.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I thought that the first three were all pretty well known before they took on the role?

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I think that all of Moffat's run has been pretty solid, this season in particular I thought was really good as well.

Also I bet you that we will never have a female doctor. Everyone always seems to think it is something that will eventually happen, but I think it's a little too much of a departure.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Lets just make Brian Blessed the Doctor and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Did someone say sixth doctor :colbert:

• Locked thread