Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So, filming has started today on Series 8 in Cardiff at the location that has been used for some of the Victorian London scenes. I sense Paternoster action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Someone on Twitter is describing the costume as "colorful" and "slick", looked like a short jacket.

Several grains of salt handy here.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 6, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Coq au Nandos posted:

I also want a Paul McGann two doctors episode and a Silence companion.

Goddammit, now you got me wanting an episode where a Silent befriends the Doctor and saves the day followed by an emotional farewell, Murray Gold, "You will be remembered", and then the Doctor turns away and forgets the entire thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Angry Walrus posted:

The Ood Couple.

RTD if you're reading this, take note.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Or every once in a while, the Doctor randomly find snow or penguin tracks in the TARDIS corridors. He just gives them a bemused look and then continues on with the episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Supposedly we're getting a Capaldi costume reveal today. The words "Victorian" and "charcoal" have been thrown around, no idea if that's gonna be accurate or not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
According to others, apparently the episodes themselves were on the same open server in .mp4 format. No word on if those were also grabbed. Either way, somebody hosed uuuppp.

I read a few. Listen is another Blink/Midnight and it could be better than either of those. Time Heist sounds like it will be 45 minutes of pure loving fun.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PassTheRemote posted:

I want to like the show, I want to like series 8, but the scripts do not instill me with confidence.

It's funny. The feeling I walked away with from reading the scripts was that they were a substantial step up from what we usually get (minus a few iffy parts in RoS). Not earth shatteringly brilliant, but definitely an upward slope.

Clara seems to finally be getting some actual characterization, as opposed to the dire blank slate she was last season. Moffat seems to know better what he wants 12's and Clara's relationship to be, and she's coming across as the "controlling, ego-centric" doofus that they told instead of showed of previously, the worst case being that one sentence truth-field character development in Time of the Doctor.

The Doctor's characterization has changed. Sure, he's still jumpy and weird and says really odd things, but he's definitely not the weepy, pseudo-boyfriend of the last two incarnations. This comes across stronger in Moffat's two scripts. Thompson and Gatiss seem to be writing for "generic Doctor" still, but I'll give Capaldi the confidence that he can make it his own.

Also, am I the only one really intrigued by Missy and the whole Paradise bit? I mean, it's kinda obvious who she is, but I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how they'll play it out.

I dunno, I really did not enjoy series 7. It was the definition of a show "just existing", without having much to say. Hell, I even give series 6 some credit for at least trying to do something different, despite the trainwreck execution. From these scripts, I'm cautiously optimistic. I can see them turning into something really cool, and the arc they set up seems to be something not completely retarded.

*jinxes entire season, turns out to be terrible, show canceled*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So those who were speculating that it wasn't only the scripts that were leaked were correct. They're incomplete workprints, but still.

Somebody is getting mega fired.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Deep Breath trip report: mostly great, the really loving stupid moments are relegated to just the Paternoster Gang, thankfully. Capaldi excellent, Clara actually has definable characterization, and the banter between 12 and the droid is really good.

Getting major T Bakes vibes from Capaldi, actually.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

The episodes leaked too? Not just the scripts?

Yeah, but only the first one is readily available. The second is confirmed real, but no one's been able to get the full episode. 3-6 are rumored to be floating around in the dark corners of the internet too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Minus the retarded Gatiss episode, I actually really enjoyed the scripts/episode for the most part. The only truly awful parts of Deep Breath were the Paternosters, but that was expected.

I honestly don't get the hate so far, and this is from someone who disliked most of last season.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So the second episode workprint finally leaked, Into The Dalek.

It's loving fantastic. Like, I was legit afraid it was going to be another Victory of the Daleks, but oh my god is it good. This is what happens when you have a seasoned screenwriter coupled with an acclaimed film director. Knocked it out of the goddamn park, even with the lovely temp CGI.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yep. Like, this could have VERY EASILY been a shitfest, but lo and behold some talented people were in charge here.

e: the Doctor-Dalek mind meld managed to be somehow heartbreaking. That was unexpected.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 12, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I gotta admit I laughed at the placeholder classic Star Trek beaming sound effect followed by the most hilariously unfinished shot of Rusty self detonating. I work in post production and this poo poo is always fascinating.

But holy poo poo that transition from Capaldi putting the wires together to the mind meld. That's some good rear end editing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, exactly, it was pretty obviously a conscious decision on his/Moffat's/the director's part. Which is cool - I really like the idea of a weird transitional phase, it's sort of a nice mini-tribute to the preceding Doctor and also serves to ease the audience into the new one.

See also Castrovalva, where Peter Davison does his best Hartnell, Troughton and Baker impressions.

Just like with Matt putting on his outfit signifying that he was finally "the Eleventh Doctor" in TEH, I'd say that moment for Capaldi is him pouring a drink for the Half Faced Man in DB.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Xibanya posted:

I watched the Robin Hood episode. The doctor's skepticism seemed really forced, basically unnatural for the character as he is typically portrayed. It seemed like he arrived at the conclusion "Clara's idea is stupid" at the beginning and hitched his self-esteem to it; the end result being the Doctor seems insecure about being smarter than Clara, which is a bizarre turn.

If we're going to have playful friction between the Doctor and Clara, it seems kind of mean-spirited to have the Doctor wanting to one-up Clara in the knowledge department because he's already indisputably more knowledgable so it's like kicking a puppy or something.

Oh and the three person bow at the end was dumb.

On the positive side, it was a fun romp and nothing was particularly egregious.

Yeah, that was really my only complaint with the episode. Gatiss seemed to be playing the "haha this Doctor sure is an rear end in a top hat, right" card a little too broadly.

Other than that, this filled the token comedy episode role quite well. I actually laughed at quite a few bits (the comedic timing in some of the editing was really well done). So, pretty much 3 for 3 on good to excellent episodes so far.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Time Heist leaked. It is a solid "meh". Which is sad, because I honestly think it was more the direction than the script that let it down. Maybe it'll improve with color, music, and SFX. Or maybe not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Nope, that was skipped right over. Which sucks because word from GB is that Listen and Kill The Moon are supposedly among the best of the entire revival.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Deep Breath and Into the Dalek are both great, with the latter verging on excellent. Robots of Sherwood is one of the better Gatiss tongue-in-cheek romps. Time Heist for me has been the only one that's left me lukewarm.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The good outweighs the Moffat for me in Deep Breath.

-Dinosaur nonsense is over in the first 15 minutes
-Vastra and naked Jenny was groan worthy.
-Paternosters ninja-ing in at the end was awful.

The rest is pretty on point.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PantsOptional posted:

Oh god, the voiceovers on this one. I thought the Dalek one was bad...

You talking about the constant ADR tags? Makes me wonder if they actually filmed some of those lines in the first place.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So far this season, we've had the Doctor wearing a flesh mask, a guy getting melted into his proteins, and some dude getting his head collapsed. They've stepped up the body horror this year.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Like I said in the other thread, it seemed like the dinosaur was the first idea that Moffat came up with for this episode and he just ran with it.

Actually the entire episode screams "oh gently caress this script is due tomorrow better get started". Cause there were some very good ideas, they just needed a fuckton of revision.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Listen is a good episode, and surprisingly well directed by Mackinnon. I didn't like his previous efforts, but he apparently does well with low-key stuff.

Moffat needs to stick to these small character based stories.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Missy only features in the second episode, and there's a reference to The Promised Land in the third. I don't think she'll feature that heavily until the second half of the series.

Also, I'm going to say that Danny Pink is probably the best new character in ages. It's kinda sad that I'm so happy we get a fully fleshed out, three dimensional character right off the bat.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

toochilled posted:

So, is that the last of the workprint episodes released now?

Also, I'm guessing that the Neversphere is Gallifrey. Although that almost seems too obvious.

Supposedly episode 6 was on the server also, but it hasn't surfaced anywhere.

Take it with a shaky grain of salt, but one of the more trusted spoiler hounds over at GB is saying that the Missy = Clara theories are on the right track.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tornhelm posted:

In news that nobody noticed, yesterday Bill Kerr (the non-Troughton antagonist from the until recently lost The Enemy Of The World serial) passed away yesterday at 92 (he was the oldest surviving Doctor Who actor). He literally died laughing watching Seinfeld.

Actually, and I literally just looked this up last night since I was watching Inferno so that's the only reason I know this, but Olaf Pooley is still kicking at 100!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still think the best theory I've seen so far about Missy is her being an amalgamation of all the dead Clara's throughout history. Still programmed to save the Doctor, but twisted and "giving him hell", as Vastra told her.

Someone else expanded on that and wondered if control-freak Clara would die in the end to take control of Missy and stop her.

It's goofy as hell, but I could see Moffat going there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

God, the normal thread is going to poo poo a brick with the final line of next episode.

This is the worst I have seen the normal thread. I'm surprised it hasn't been gassed.

Anyway, next week's is probably Thompson's best script for Who. Not mind-blowingly awesome, but a solid fun romp. Also, don't really see anything wrong with that last line.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rita Repulsa posted:

It's because nobody wants a doctor romance subplot.
Maybe they'll change that, it conflicts with "I am not your boyfriend"

I can see how it could be taken that way, but I took it more as "dates are boring, come rob a bank with me, isn't this awesome?".

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mokinokaro posted:

Couldn't he be stealing her from Danny fir the adventure and that's what the line refers to?

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Didn't really get any romantic subtext from it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bunch of cool stuff in the latest DWM.
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/tantalising-details-on-series-8-episodes-5-8-66791.htm

The Caretaker posted:

Similarities to The Lodger with the Doctor trying to blend in, but he is far ruder and has no patience.

Writers Gareth Roberts and Moffat also mimicked The Lodger in terms of threat level, feeling Closing Time had too much of it.

First major appearance of recurring character Coal Hill pupil Courtney. The Doctor sees a kindred spirit in her in that she has no social niceties.

The Doctor is very rude to Danny, especially when he learns of his past as a soldier. Roberts wondered if they were going too far with it, but they kept it in anyway.

Kill The Moon posted:

An early script title was “Return to Sarn” but it was all a big Moffat trick. The final title isn’t a play on a Romeo & Juliet line, just something attention grabbing.

Courtney comes on this adventure because she begs the Doctor for a trip in the TARDIS.

Human astronauts led by Hermione Norris are trying to nuke the moon. The moon has become heavier and is washing away Earth under huge tidal waves.

Moffat briefed writer Peter Harness to “Hinchcliffe the s*** out of it for the first half” in terms of scares.

Originally written for Smith’s Doctor, but Capaldi works better because of his more alien Doctor.

There’s a life changing dilemma that Clara has to face.

Mummy on the Orient Express posted:

This Orient Express is a futuristic space train.

Frank Skinner is playing Perkins, the train’s chief engineer.

The title suggests a silly romp, but it is not that at all. It’s actually very dark with a lot of deaths.

It’s claustrophobic horror.

The Mummy was deemed too scary by the BBC and will require a later time slot.

The Mummy kills its victims by walking towards them and they only have 66 seconds to live.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bicyclops posted:

Wasn't sure if this was too spoilery for the main thread, but it seems there is casting news for the Christmas special:

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/nick-frost-to-guest-star-in-2014-doctor-who-christmas-special

It always makes me happy to see one of the Troughton clan in Who. :3:

e: there's a post over on GB that worries me something's been cut from Time Heist. It better not be the brain melting.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 19, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Well, apparently the Christmas special is supposed to be a full-on comedy, with Nick Frost as Santa Claus. I poo poo you not. Supposedly takes place three years after the series finale, and Clara's there too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You know, I'd prefer he doesn't bite it. With the high chance of Jenna leaving at Christmas, it'd be nice to have Clara just bow out with a happy ending. She's got a family now, with a child and loving husband, and she just has to say goodbye and move on. Like the Toy Story 3 ending.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm too lazy to check if they're one of the more reputable ones, but a spoilerhound is saying that Missy and Seb (Chris Addison) are part of an organization that abducts people near death and offers them eternal life. Through cyber-conversion.

Makes sense with what we know so far. I'd assume the fried police hand was a cop out of some sort.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Mummy on the Orient Express is getting disappointingly "meh" advanced reviews.

Although the countdown timer that appears on screen every time someone sees the mummy sounds interesting.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
None that I've heard of. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see her again until Dark Water.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They didn't put her in the cast list either, but she's there. The BBC decided last minute to change the synopses to not include Clara to ramp up the tension after their fight. But you can see her dressed as a flapper girl briefly in one of the promos.

e: I take it back, one more review popped up claiming it's excellent.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 7, 2014

• Locked thread