Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Speculation time, here we go.

One of the spoilerhounds on GB says that Missy's identity is related to a scene toward the end of Deep Breath. I'm going with his face reflected in the plate he held up to the Half Faced Man. The "time can be rewritten" line in the promo got me thinking. What if at some crucial point in the Doctor's time stream, something got hosed up, producing two separate and parallel threads. One thread, the Doctor goes through his life and ends up with his current Capaldi face, and in the other thread, he ends up regenerating eventually into Missy. We have Chris Addis- excuse me, Seb, who seems to be Missy's companion of sorts, we have an evil Clara, the next episode is called In A Mirror, Darkly Mirror, Mirror Dark Water...we totally didn't do the exact same thing in Series 2 guys, but what if we're dealing with Who's take on the mirror universe? It could play well into the "am I a good man" motif and delve into where the faces come from and how they're chosen. And hell, while we're playing with the evil twin theme, let's throw in the Cybermen and make some Tenth Planet references.

gently caress me if I know how Mondas the Nethersphere plays into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reactions are starting to trickle in for Dark Water, and they range from "insensitive to people who've just suffered a loss" to "I have no idea how I'm going to review this".

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That's what I'm hoping.

Also lol the Missy reveal was apparently excluded in the preview copies, replaced with two scenes covered up with big "SCENE EXCLUDED" title cards.

e: uhhhhh either somebody hosed up or this is bullshit.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/10...l,manual,manual

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 28, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The pic is a photoshop taken from one of the promo pics, which makes me doubt things, but another person on Twitter who's seen the episode (again, with the reveal excluded) suspects that she's a Time Lady helping to bring back Gallifrey using the Cybermen, so...it might line up?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, "I'm a huge rear end in a top hat who likes to push the Doctor's buttons" is oddly a little more refreshing motivation than trying to angst up his past and make him all weepy and broken.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Chris Addison posted:

I'd describe Seb in four words: Polite. Charming. Hiding. Something.

A few more of the recent teases this week hint at Seb being much more than he lets on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have a secret hope that the cliffhanger for this episode is somehow a reveal of an old-school Tenth Planet Cyberman.

It's not going to happen in a million years, but whatevs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They've definitely gotten a bit more creative with the cinematography this season, which is definitely reminiscent of RTD's more whimsical tone. I really like it. The past few years were kinda stuffy looking in comparison.

So, on GB someone pointed to a clip someone posted of the filming of the "you know who I am" scene. Here, you can see what follows after Capaldi turn around and one can assume that Missy elaborates on who she is. Check out :18, and a few people think she's saying "...Rani for short". It's a slow news day, so make of it what you will. I think it might add some fuel to the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_jRKsixuDs

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 30, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

david... posted:

That's actually pretty clear in my opinion, oh well the guessing was fun.

I'm going to go ahead and bet that Missy is the Rani and Seb is the Master and they've become some sort of renegade Time Lord double-act.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That's just someone's phone vid filtered through an image stabilizer to reduce shaking. It has that warpy effect sometimes. And in a recent interview with the director, she said that she had Michelle Gomez mouth the reveal so that it couldn't be heard, and they'd just ADR it in later.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
She could also be saying "...Rani, of course".

Honestly I'd be okay with her being Romana, and it would make slightly more sense in regards to her feelings about the Doctor. But eh I guess we'll see in like 26 hours.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Early reviews are glowing for Death in Heaven. Also confirming there's no time-fuckery or "it was all a dream" resolution. And we find out who Seb is, which is apparently mind blowing.

I'm guessing he's also the Master.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, reviews said ITFOTN was poo poo and it kinda was.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Apparent final line in the finale:

"Race you to the finish line - next stop, home."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm hazarding a guess Doc to Master? That'd be a pretty sweet arc for next season - a race to find Gallifrey first.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That would be badass and you know it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's been rumored that four named characters are going to be dead for good by the end of the episode. Most are in agreement that Osgood is a goner, and as much as I love her this season, Clara should bite it too.

Also the title sequence has been changed to have Clara's eyes instead of Capaldi's.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Stop getting my hopes up for things that will never happen.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Actually, the Amy/Rory thing I'm 99% sure has been debunked.

But it's been all but confirmed we will have another cameo that some have either called brilliant or tasteless:

CyberBrig

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
He's described as having a kind of "punch the air" moment, so I think he's probably able to mentally fight against his cyber-takeover.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wish I could. I'm just basically summarizing the spoiler thread on GB, which is currently filled with people who were at the screening in Cardiff this week giving out hints and tidbits because Moffat begged them not to spoil it. Fuckers (them not you).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really get the feeling that it's just gonna be Kate Stewart getting confronted by the CyberBrig, and just wordlessly does a Thing that blows up cybermen.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
People are being retarded and respecting the request not to spoil poo poo.

That said, it'd be pretty funny if the hints they are dropping are all complete bullshit anyway.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just want CyberBrig to pop up and save the day every couple of episodes. No explanation whatsoever.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Well it didn't take long for someone claiming to be "in the know" to pop up and share some details about next series.

GallifreyBase posted:

Never done this before, can't actually do much, but here goes...

Another 13 ep series (counting the Xmas special), likely beginning on 22 August 2015. Debate currently going on about skipping a week for Halloween due to kiddies being out, but no verdict yet.

Steven Moffat's final series. The next head hasn't been decided yet. Peter Capaldi will stay on.

A mid-series two-parter and a finale two-parter. I believe the mid-series one is being written by Jamie Mathieson, and I think it's episodes 5 and 6.

Steven Moffat is writing eps 1, 9, 11, 12 and 13.

The Christmas special is the concluding part of the finale two-parter. Steven had to convince the BBC about this.

Missy/The Master returns in episode 9, but she's not the villain, more tangled up in the plot.

Missy tags along with the Doctor in episode 10, written by Neil Gaiman, pretty much stand-alone.

Episode 11 is a "prequel" of sorts to the finale. I'm sure some people will even consider it a three-parter, like the S3 finale.

Episodes 11, 12 and 13 involve the Time Lords and Missy, but Gallifrey does not return (permanently).

Other writers include: Tom MacRae, I think episode 2, Neil Cross, I think episode 3, Steve Thompson, I think episode 4, Mark Gatiss, I think episode 7, a new writer (as yet undecided) for episode 8.

Might post a bit more.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There's also a vague rumor about the possibility of having a TARDIS cat this season.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It looks so retro. I love it.

Also, some things over from Gallifreybase. As usual, their validity should always be questioned. This got printed by The Mirror, which isn't always uh..reliable, but was later confirmed by one of the few spoilerhounds that is consistently reliable.

The premier involves Davros, and the Doctor being presented with the option to kill him as a child to prevent the Dalek's creation.

Could be interesting and dark as gently caress if true.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Missy is involved and at some point kidnaps Clara. But that doesn't mean both ideas couldn't work together.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those 'in the know' are getting deliberate misinformation.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hey now I liked hoodie!Doctor. He rocks the lazy college student look. Still the new coat is awesome.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Zygon two-parter titles have been revealed:

Invasion of the Zygons
Inversion of the Zygons

Also, a bit of a worrying quote from Capaldi, basically saying his time may be up sooner than later.

EDIT: Also, apparently episode 11 is going to feature Capaldi as the only actor in the episode.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 20, 2015

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
S9 episode titles announced:

9x01 The Magician's Apprentice
9x02 The Witch's Familiar
9x03 Under the Lake
9x04 Before the Flood
9x05 The Girl Who Died
9x06 The Woman Who Lived
9x07 The Zygon Invasion
9x08 The Zygon Inversion
9x09 Sleep No More
9x10 Face the Raven
9x11 Heaven Sent
9x12 Hell Bent

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Annnnnd episode previews:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-14/steven-moffats-exclusive-doctor-who-series-nine-episode-guide

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm calling it now that the Zygon two-parter is going to be pretty meh. But everything else sounds pretty cool.

Especially looking forward to Gatiss's found footage episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Not that we didn't already suspect it:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34266847

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

Coleman has always seemed desperate to leave. While Clara basically gelled well in the last season I don't think the actress ever did, and it was only the lack of a better offer stopping her. Now that this ITV drama (hahaha) has come knocking she's probably running out the door.

Plus the fact there isn't even going to be a series next year and Peter is leaving then too. He will probably have temporary companions for each of the specials or some poo poo.

I know there were rumblings about there being no full series next year (along with Capaldi leaving), but have they become more than just that? I haven't been keeping up with everything.

e:fb

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Free Marcelo Carmago!

Seriously, by this point last year, I'm pretty sure we knew the general synopsis for the finale.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Preview synopsis for next week's episode:

quote:

"Many years from now, in a distant future, the Le Verrier Space Station is orbiting the far-flung planet of Neptune when it mysteriously goes silent.

Fearing the crew of the Indo-Japanese vessel may need help, mission control sends a rescue party there, but when it arrives all they find is wreckage and footage of the space station’s final hours…

The Doctor and Clara arrive there too and find this is no ordinary space station. One of the crew, the brilliant scientist Professor Rassmussen has invented a machine that allows people to stay awake for months at a time…

After watching the footage left on Le Verrier, The Doctor and Clara embark upon a very dark adventure…

The Professor’s invention, The Morpheus Machine, allows people who use it to get enough rest in five minutes of sleep to keep them working for months at a time. But has it caused a terrifying side effect?

As the story of what happened on the space station slowly unfolds, it becomes clear that the Doctor and Clara’s concerns about the dangers of the Morpheus Machine are well founded.

Yet despite warnings that his invention poses a risk to the crew and may have catastrophic consequences for the human race, Professor Rasmussen refuses to sacrifice his invention. Can the Doctor and Clara save the day in time or is all hope lost?"

Looks like Mark Gatiss has been watching Event Horizon.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
More poo poo regarding episodes 10-12.

quote:

"Clara probably never expected her friend Rigsy to need the emergency TARDIS phone number she gave him after they defeated the Boneless in Bristol. Yet today he’s in big trouble, sentenced to die for a murder he can’t remember committing. The Doctor and Clara’s campaign to exonerate Rigsy leads them to a secret London street where alien refugees hide in plain sight. Once they gain access, they’ll learn the terrible answers to various questions. Such as: what is a chronolock? And what exactly does it mean to face the raven?"

Other bits:

Rigsy has just 537 minutes to live, with a tattoo on his back counting down, when the countdown hits zero he will face the raven
The Doctor has to prove Rigsy didn’t commit a murder
The story came from the concept of a Trap Street (and that was the original episode title). The Doctor, Clara and Rigsy are searching for it
The trap street here is an alien refugee camp
Alongside the return of Ashildr (Maisie Williams), the Judoon will also reappear
There is a “huge shock, something absolutely massive” and something you don’t want ruined

quote:

Long before the Time War, the Time Lords knew it was coming. Like a storm on the wind. There were many prophecies and stories. Legends before the fact. One of them was about a creature called the Hybrid: half Dalek, half Time Lord. The ultimate warrior. But whose side would it be on? Would it bring peace, or destruction? Was it real, or a fantasy?

“I confess: I know the Hybrid is real,” the Doctor proclaims. “I know where it is, and what it is. I confess: I am afraid.”

Other bits:

The two episodes are very different. Episode 11 is essentially one 45-minute monologue with the Doctor
Moffat wondered “How do you break the Doctor” Would he still be a hero without witness and reward? “It’s putting the Doctor alone in hell”
There’s a scene where the Doctor imagines a TARDIS in his head and tries to explain what’s really going on
11 was meant to be a money saving episode but it didn’t quite work that way. It takes place in a “rotating mechanical castle full of visual effects”
Capaldi says there’s a “sadness, a romance, and tragedy” to episode 12
Episode 12 begins “very much like a Western”
Ohila and the Sisterhood of Karn are back, Moffat sees Ohila as the Doctor’s mother figure
Director Rachel Talalay says Moffat has layered in a lot of things throughout the series which you never thought were important – “You have no clue what the series arc is, or how Clara leaves”
The finale is the fallout of Clara sort of becoming the Doctor.
Moffat thinks if the Doctor found Gallifrey he’d run away again. He thinks Clara is the same with Earth now. She has lost her “sense of home”
DWM hints that Moffat may have changed something in the mythology, something Moffat was quite nervous about doing
Episode 11 pushes the Doctor to the brink of madness, Ep 12 is what happens next “if the Doctor has lost his moral compass, if you got him really angry and gave him nothing to fight for – an angry, off the rails Doctor”

I'm really looking forward to Face The Raven and Heaven Sent, and I'm hoping that Hell Bent doesn't turn into a huge mess, as finales tend to do.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Review copies for Heaven Sent have gone out, and it's getting unanimous praise.

Gallifrey Base posted:

...I'd even go so far as to say it's got an almost Bergman kind of feel to it. I'm serious. We've honestly never seen an episode like this before.

Moffat is flexing the same writing muscles he used on Listen with this one. It proves that even after nearly 12 years writing for the show he can still knock it out of the park, and not lazily fall back on well-worn tropes when he puts his mind to it.

This is the episode that solely has the The Doctor with no other supporting cast that Moffat originally wanted to submit to Big Finish like, 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Radio Times synopsis for Hell Bent.

quote:

"The Doctor faces a bittersweet homecoming as, betrayed and trapped, with both his hearts broken, he demonstrates just how far he would be willing to go if someone took everything he cared about from him. With his quest to reach Gallifrey seemingly over, the Time Lord engages his own people in a struggle that will take him to the very end of time itself, but who is the mysterious `Hybrid' mentioned in the Gallifreyan prophecy? And just what was it the Doctor left behind as his `confession'? Peter Capaldi stars in the series finale, but will return later this year alongside Alex Kingston's River Song for the traditional Christmas special. Last in the series."

Cast:
The Doctor: Peter Capaldi
The President: Donald Sumpter
The General: Ken Bones
Female General: T'nia Miller
Gastron: Malachi Kirby
Ohila: Clare Higgins
The Woman: Linda Broughton
Plump Man: Martin T Sherman

Ken Bones returns as the same General he played in Day of the Doctor. Also, I'm pretty sure they're not listing a few surprise cameos.

• Locked thread