Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Porkchop Express posted:

Man they aren't gonna hold true to the 13 regeneration a thing, it was a throwaway line in the original story, if the ratings are still strong they will go past 13 for sure.

It's specifically mentioned near the start of the McGann movie as well but after saying that they only get 13 regenerations his very next line is that The Master was never very good at following rules.

That leaves it open to be interpeted as it being a rule or a guideline NOT a physical body regeneration limit or whatever. Though where that leaves the River "Here's all my lives, enjoy!" I dunno.

Edit: VVV Bicyclops has another take on it, probably more accurate than mine!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Either someone much older or maybe it's time for a female Doctor, I've mentioned her before but I think Ruth Wilson would be an amazing change of direction.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Rhyno posted:

All my hopes and dreams.

No way River could deny this hat is cool.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Gau posted:

Can you throw us a link or a source or...something?

Edit: Never mind, it's just speculation. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/02/who-will-be-the-thirteenth-doctor/

What a hilarious article - Sue Perkins indeed. I can't get the thought of her and companion Paul Hollywood running around preventing intergalactic cake baking shenanigans now.

Do they still have the "Who did River kill to be sent to prison?" storyline to finish since it turned out it wasn't the actual Doctor she killed at the lakeside or did I blink and miss the resolution?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Bicyclops posted:

Everyone thinks that it was the actual Doctor.

Aha, okay. Although somewhat pedantically weren't the only witnesses to the "crime" all (eventually at least) in on the fact she didn't kill him. Maybe that's why the plotline was quietly dropped.

My favourite of the seemingly endless "Name a British actor who has done anything, ever" = possible next Doctor was Helen Mirren being named in one of the Sunday newspapers. Whilst I'm sure she'd do a cracking job they might as well link McKellan, Fiennes and McShane for other completely unobtainable actors for it and be done with it.

Not that an HBO funded McShane starring Doctor Who series wouldn't be a day one purchase...

Edit: VVV Exactly, you'd have to be a complete hooplehead not to like the thought of that!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 3, 2013

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Peter Capaldi has come out of nowhere to be the bookies favourite to get the job apparently?! A late betting surge like that often indicates some insider knowledge, if they stop taking bets the jig will be up!

They are showing it live in the US on BBC America at the same time as the UK showing, 2pm EST 7pm UK time.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
After seeing the press release and them hyping it up much more than I expected them to, especially with it being simulcast in the US, I'm fairly sure they've got someone we'd recognise lined up. I can't see them going to all this trouble and Bert Bloggs from the Northampton Theatre circuit is rolled out to universal "Who?" *heads off to google*

If it was a low key actor they'd announce it like Smith and gradually build us up to knowing him and why he'd be a good fit before Christmas turns up. Shoving it out there on a Sunday evening right after Songs of Praise suggest they want to sing who they got from the rooftops! Then again tt might be because they've signed a female lead, Coleman being retained makes me doubt that though.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I'm bored while waiting for my son to turn up, so here you go with the "official" odds pages for the next Doctor Who

Ladbrokes
http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/TV,-Film-and-Radio-c110000052
Peter Capaldi 6/4
Rory Kinnear 2/1
Ben Daniels 4/1
Daniel Rigby 4/1

William Hill
http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/4525088/To%2bReplace%2bMatt%2bSmith%2bas%2bthe%2bDoctor%253f.html
Capaldi 5/4
Daniels, Kinnear, Rigby all 5/1

Paddy Power appears to have taken their odds page down which is ominous, perhaps they've been advised the news is out there? Anyways they have
Capaldi 7/4
Daniels 4/1
Kinnear 6/1

The likes of Idris Elba are 12/1 at Ladbrokes, Ben Whishaw at 12/1 with William Hill and Billie Piper at 33/1 with Paddy Power ?!

The most amusing name listed (to me at least!) was William Hill having Jason Statham at 100/1 :v:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

ukle posted:

Note since you posted that Daniel Rigby's odds keep falling and falling on Ladbrokes, Hes now 2/1.

Looks like the name might have been leaked, and he fits the Matt Smith / David Tennant mold in terms of how they choose the doctors.

William Hill have just pulled their page so I suspect the name is indeed out there.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Last bookies post I promise :v:

Ladbrokes just took down their page so the novelty part is definitely over and pretty much the whole betting industry believes the name has leaked. If you click the link in my earlier post it now takes you to the Next James Bond page, Idris Elba is 5/1 and David Beckham is 200/1 in case you fancied a punt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Looks like none of the Sundays managed to ferret out a name from someone, Moffat allegedly said yesterday only ten people know the name atm. They almost all seem to think Capaldi has got it though.

A few editorials yesterday and today have been campaigning for a female Doctor, I suspect they will do that next time round.

• Locked thread