Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Bicyclops posted:

Wellllll, you have to remember, even if John Hurt is the new Ninth Doctor and Matt Smith is Twelve now, he has at least another year, and then we have another incarnation that will last another 3 - 4 years, which is plenty of time for the show to become unpopular. Hell, if it turns out Hurt is some kind of alt-Doctor who isn't part of the regular continuity of the Doctor's life, we could still have a decade of television before the Thirteenth Doctor "dies."

I think the show will stay pretty drat popular, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they put someone terrible in charge later and they ran it into the ground.

Hey crazy theory here. Maybe Matt Smith is the 13th regeneration?

I mean we have the John Hurt one bringing Matt Smith to 12... but we also have that whole weird thing in the Stolen Earth/Journey End two parter where it was never confirmed if Tennant had effectively used up a regeneration or not. So maybe Matt Smith can be considered the 13th one and will become the Valeyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

My personal review of all 5 of the scripts

Episode 1: Rating 3/5

Summary:
Doctor ends up in London to meet team Strax and brings Clara as well as a T-Rex along for the ride. The Doctor has trouble adjusting and decides to be a homeless bum while Clara contemplates what the hell she's doing with her life as well as her relationship with the Doctor. Both Clara and the Doctor are tricked by "the Doctor's Girlfriend (not River)" into going into a den of Clockwork Robots who are harvesting organs to repair their ship in order to get to the "Promise Land". The Doctor beats the living crap out of them, saves London, and everything ends happily.

Review:
For a script that introduces a new doctor, I have to admit this is one of the better ones. That's not saying much, but at least I can say it's not terrible.

I know this scripts getting a lot of flack for the T-Rex running around, but I have to admit it sort of works for me. It's a good red herring that distracts from the real mystery of what is lurking around London at the time, and adds some credibility to the villain. (How many things have the balls to kill a T-Rex)

It also nicely introduces a new doctor, brings the Clockwork Robots back in a non-stupid way, and has some really nice scenes like in the diner. Also it's always good to bring back the London Detective duo as well as Strax. But most importantly in this script, the villain is a bit threatening. They really do emphasis how inhuman the clockwork robots are, as well as the scale of their murder, and what it takes to defeat them. In many ways, the Clockwork Robots are in this script what the Cyberman should be.

Also, while I think people are right that this Doctor feels like Matt Smith, they are definitely writing towards the darker portions of both Smith and Tennant. This Doctor is portrayed as something of a sociopath, unable to realize that abhorrent wearing a human face is and seems to disregard life in general now. It's going to be interesting how it plays out.

What keeps this script from being great is hum much of Moffats bs is bleeding through, which is getting really old now. The whole "Doctor's Girlfriend" subplot introduced is utter bullshit and is kind of a cop-out after building up the whole "restore Gallifrey" plot. It's River Song back again, except with some weird "Promise Land" plot line attached. Oh and yeah, 2nd everyone else on how "misogynist" the treatment of Clara is getting.

Still should be a fun episode.

Episode 2: 0/5 Rating

Summary:
The Doctor is shrunk in size along with Clara and a team of expendable humans. Their mission is to go and repair a Dalek who's good and damaged. They succeed, but the repairs make the Dalek evil again. The Doctor then manages to make the Dalek good again, and the Dalek goes off to kill a bunch of Daleks. Oh and apparently the entire Galaxy, possibly the universe, is fighting a massive Dalek invasion that threatens to destroy all creation but the threat of a new Dalek Empire and the Doctor doing something about it doesn't seem to come into play.

Review:
Wow this script is friggen awful. It's like the writers went "ok Episode 1 has some really dark moments, so Episode 2 should be lighter. We need the Daleks in really quick so... lets do an episode where we miniaturize the Doctor and send him inside a Dalek! Then we can be dark, quirky, and have daleks."

You have the Doctor acting like an outright sociopath where the only people he legitimately tries to save are himself, Clara, and the Dalek. Not the humans though who aren't Clara, they're expendable. Then you have the idiotic premise of the episode where they make a huge deal about the idea of turning Daleks good and how it's the one real shot at stopping the massive Dalek invasion happening, they find out that all that's keeping the Daleks evil is their cybernetic parts which purges memories that would make them good, and then it's all "well see you later." "Good luck with that losing war with the Daleks so the Daleks can destroy all life in the Galaxy then start rebuilding their doomsday device to destroy all of reality. Me and Clara have sexy adventures to go on."

I'd go as far as to say this script reads like someone's bad fan fiction they wrote and no one had the heart to tell them it wasn't that great. It's crap, it's terrible, I can't seem them pulling this off and making it work without some incredible acting.

Episode 3: 2.5/5

Summary:
Doctor and Clara travel back in time so the Doctor can prove Robin Hood doesn't exist. However, somehow Robin does exist. Also there's a Sheriff of Nottingham who's leading an army of Robot Knights. Is Robin Hood Real? Can the Doctor stop a bunch of robots from repairing their ship with Gold and Slave Labor, just like he did in the first episode? How long can Clara be this useful and competent? These questions are effectively the entire episode.

Review:
Robots, again?! More of this "Promise Land stuff"? And we are going to have poo poo like "The Doctor and Robin splitting each other's arrows and Robin shooting a golden arrow to fix a spaceships engines long enough so it explodes in outer space?!" Like WTF.

Now what sort of redeems this episode in my mind is that the dialogue between the Doctor and Robin is quite good. Also the secondary theme of the debate of if Robin Hood existed as well as the mystery of what is the Robin Hood they're dealing with is well done and interesting. And I have to say I like Clara's portrayal here as here she seems like someone who is useful, intelligent, and can take some initiative. Qualities that felt forced in the writing last season.

It could be a good episode depending on the directing and acting, and there's definitely a shining gem in there, but there's a lot of crap covering that gem and I'm not sure if it's going to be cleared off in the final product.

Episode 4: 5/5

Summary:
The Doctor comes to the conclusion that there might be a species which exists everywhere, but has evolved to stay perfectly hidden. Driven by his curiosity and his own fear, him and Clara go on a quest to figure out what these things really are. I'd write a more indepth summary, but this is pretty much the episode. And it's brilliant.

Review:
This script is fantastic and I really hope it isn't screwed up. Hell, I'd say it's the best Doctor Who script I've seen since the new series started.

It takes a simple concept like "is there a monster under my bed, or in the closet", this primal fear in people that there's something hiding in the dark, and turns it into a brilliant examination into the human psyche. It would have been really easy to turn this into somekind of crappy monster hunt, but they really did an amazing job of ramping up the psychology as well as the potential for building up fear and mystery.

Also there's the subplot of Clara and her growth into something that isn't Amy II. The whole angle of her life outside the Tardis, her independence, and the humanity she is exhibiting is really great and can really make this a great script.

I just hope the actors and the director can pull this off.

Episode 5: 4/5

Summary:
The Doctor, Clara, and two other people lose their recent memories and are sent on a mission by "The Architect" to rob the most secure bank in the entire universe. The bank has numerous sensors and automated defenses, but it's primary defense is a Teller, a psychic being that can detect guilt and liquifies brains.

Review:
Ah a nice fun heist script that seems intent on sucking up this season's special effects budget. It's great, it's fun, it's weird, and I like the villains. The Teller seems legitimately scary and I can just picture in my mind how terrifying it will look. The set-up is well done, and I have to say the whole "impenetrable bank" along with the memory loss really does give a feel of wonder and mystery.

My main complaint about this episode is that Clara is back to being useless and a damsel in distress. She doesn't really do anything in the script except almost get eaten and befriend Psi. In fact, they could have written her out of this episode and it would have been a better script for it because then we could have developed the doctor's "heist team" more.

Still, it promises to be a cgi feast for the eyes and it's fun, so I'm looking forward to it.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 13, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stop spoilering things in the SPOILER thread. :psyduck:

Fine, spoilers removed.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Going by generally accepted poo poo, which also conveniently also mostly lines up with my opinion:

In the bad column we have:

The Twin Dilemma
Time and the Rani

Yup those were terrible

quote:

In the mediocre column we have:

The Christmas Invasion (it's better than The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani by a long way, but not actually particularly good so it goes in here by default)

In the good column:

Eleventh Hour
Rose
An Unearthly Child/100,000 BC (because of the caveman stuff)
Castrovalva
Robot

Ok let's make something clear here. Rose, Castrovalva, The Christmas Invasion, and Robot were only pulled off by the sheer power of good acting as well as special effects. Otherwise the scripts themselves were pretty terrible.

quote:

In the loving amazing wow jesus a hundred years Rick and Morty dot com column:

The Power of the Daleks
Spearhead from Space

"Post-Regeneration stories are bad" is a big fan myth.

Ok yes, both The Power of the Daleks and Spearhead from Space were friggen brilliant.

quote:

Let's not go nuts

Hey if they are going to bring them back, this was the least stupid way to do it. In fact, this made more sense then the last time they showed up where they couldn't repair their ship, but they could make windows in time to stalk Madame de Pompadour.

quote:

Oh ok we've gone nuts (and Strax is part of the trio)

Oh come on, the trio are funny. And if you are going to have a plot where Clara is going to deal with the Doctor regenerating, it's better for her to talk with some established characters than someone random. And yeah, I made a grammar mistake. Sorry.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Bown posted:

Ok let's make something clear here. The trio are terrible and anyone who likes them is an idiot.

(subjectivity: it's a thing!)

How about a compromise.

Lady Lizard and her lesbian assassin servant girlfriend are terrible, but it's made up for by the awesomeness that is Strax.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Noxville posted:

Strax is the god drat worst of them, a one-joke character whose joke got tired long ago. At least the others have a tiny amount of characterisation.

I disagree, I love that one-joke character, and I hope he keeps poping up from time to time until he finally dies gloriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nZxShriR0Y

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you're going to get someone to kick you in the balls,

Oh come on, the scenes described with the Clockwork Robots in this script look pretty good and creepy. Done right, they can be pretty friggen awesome.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Bown posted:

Strax is horrendous. Is he really the kind of character people watch this show for? The "LOL he falls down behind Vestra and Jenny!!!!" bit in Deep Breath is the least funny part of an episode already devoid of laughs.

Look, I'm not saying he deserves to be elevated to companion status or get his own damned show. He's just funny because he's a good guy who effectively wants to murder everyone like HK-47. I guess it's personal taste.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

So can we accept Strax as "entertaining" as opposed to "good" then?

Are we ok with this?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

marktheando posted:

No, he is neither. He may have raised a half smile on his first appearance, but even that mild amusement has long faded.

Well I guess I'll just have to accept that I have poor taste then and my enjoyment of Strax is inherently wrong.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Harlock posted:

Not sure if the other thread is covering casting news, but Clara is apparently out at Christmas. Or so the rumor goes anyways.

Kinda surprised to be honest. She wasn't that bad and she was a decent actress. Wonder what they have in mind for a new companion. (Please let it be the return of handles)

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

He's the Valeyard. The humanoid Ten didn't want to die so he found a way to team up with the Master and cheat death.

Honestly that's the least retarded thing they could do. It would explain potentially how the doctor can be the Master's boyfriend as well help explain how the Master escaped Gallifrey.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Here's the real thing that bothers me,

WTF is the Master's interest in Clara anyways?!

The major thing Clara did was alter the timeline so the Doctor wouldn't die at Trenzelore. That and she spread herself through the Doctor's timeline in order to save him from The Great Intelligence. You'd think the Master of all people would be pretty drat happy about the Doctor dying there. Why go to all the effort to ensure that the Doctor would meet Clara, only for Clara to save his life?!

Then we have the preview with Clara telling a bunch of Cybermen that Clara Oswald never existed...

I really can't see how they can resolve this in a way that isn't stupid.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Xibanya posted:

They would never do that (even though I think it's a good idea too) because handydoc was already the valeyard in a comic book and I doubt they would take a major plot point from a comic published years ago.

No he wasn't. In the comics Forgotten it was (Spoiler because it's comic spoilers)

It was just a parasite that attached itself to the Doctor. It was just messing with him for the fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Actually, I think what's going on is that that two-parter takes place prior to Death in Heaven by earth chronology.

I'm also wondering if possibly when the Doctor meets Missy again in this season, it will be prior to the events of Dark Water/Death in Heaven in her personal timeline. In fact, probably prior to her whole Nethersphere plan. Moffat does love his time fuckery.

Its possible but it was established that Missy was responsible for the Doctor meeting Clara... so that's a lot of time fuckery they'd be doing.

• Locked thread