Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want Moffat to bring dignity back to regeneration. It felt so weird for Ten to forestall the process and actually complain about having to go. Every other Doc accepted that his time was up. Eleven should do the same.

I wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but as I thought about it, I thought it was brilliant. It's a wonderful parallel to Human Nature/Family of Blood. John Smith was terrified to go, to give up his life and memories, even if many of them were fake. Even when it was elaborated upon that he would live on in the Doctor, he was still afraid and thought it wasn't fair. But he was brave and still chose to "die" to save everyone else.

The Doctor retains John Smith's memories, the way he felt, and his personality, just as he has those things of all the other Doctors. It seems like he was deeply affected by his brief time as a human, and him being terrified of dying and having another man carry on with his memories is likely a carry-over from how John Smith felt. But, just like John Smith, he chooses to die so that another may live. But instead of dying so that somebody important may live, or to save a large number of people, it's the reverse. The Doctor faces his "mortality" in order to save somebody who is, in the grand scheme of things, insignificant -- just like John Smith was.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

mind the walrus posted:

the Doctor just seems to be like a jealous teenager trying on a different kind-of "You're ugly (I like you)" tactic.

Clara needs to get pigtails so the Doctor can tug on them and dip them in ink wells when she's paying attention to the teacher.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PriorMarcus posted:

It's got something to do with the Cybermen too probably.

Yeah, judging by the episode description previews the finale two-parter is a Cyberman story so that's pretty likely.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm going to keep up hope that it's just an easter egg.

It's not an easter egg, is it? :ohdear:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I heard Supernatural actually managed to pull it off.

I think the problem right now is not that it's necessarily a bad premise, it could work for a one-off episode that doesn't take itself at all seriously. It's that it's incredibly ridiculous idea for the major twist of a season arc.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not only would that reveal by awful, but the general fandom would love it and embrace it and it would become even more popular than River and at that point I'd have to find the tallest bridge around and jump.

The way you phrased that somehow planted a seed in my mind that next season's Moffat Horror is going to be an episode titled "Jump" about monsters that cause fear of heights.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

thexerox123 posted:

Didn't Missy call the Doctor her boyfriend? That would be kind of weird if they're both The Doctor.

She had vanity issues at the time.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think that was the scene where she said

"Missy. Short for Mistress. Well I couldn't keep calling myself The Master, now could I?"

E: It very well could have been a different take with slightly different wording. Or she said "Rani, for short" and then it "leaked" on the internet to troll people.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Only if Missy gets Muttley.

No, I don't mean "a stand in" I mean import him from Wacky Races. The laugh must happen once an episode.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I was thinking more like an evil K9 knockoff.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Snivelling, Emasculated Bastard

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have a great idea for an episode where everyone dresses up in costumes and then a wizard alien turns them all into whatever costume they're wear... wait.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Fear Her gets an undue amount of hate due to that last, like, two minutes and some hokey child acting. That said, even if reexamined, I don't think it'll ever be above a C in most peoples' eyes. Certainly when I was watching through I found it utterly unremarkable like, say, Tooth and Claw or The Vampires of Venice. It was kind of just... there.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

bobkatt013 posted:

Why are you blaming someone who had nothing to do with Bad Wolf? The only time it was in his episodes was in German.

I think the joke is that, even among the staff on Doctor Who, Moffat has a reputation for liking closed causal loops. (Apparently on set they call them "Moffat Loops")

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bicyclops posted:

I think the only recurring villains they haven't brought back are all Time Lords, except maybe for that slug guy who eats all the fish.

Robot crabs

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They should bring back those jerkass cavemen from the first serial.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Bring back the Cyberwoma... okay, wait. Too far, too soon.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's the monster from Listen.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Okay, let's stop joking. It's obviously Clara.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Doctor What hasn't been able to resist a setup to that lame joke since we escaped the drat Thunderdome.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The discussion thread is going to be full of people getting mad about where they think two parters are going this season. :allears:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Castle Radium posted:

Haha, I just spotted the Cara Delevigne mention. Someone is definitely having a laugh.

To be fair, I think people said the same thing when they got Kylie Minogue. (It's still horrifically unlikely though)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have to admit, I'm super excited for Heaven Sent/Hell Bent because there's no way that naming scheme will lead to something boring. Could it be bad? Yes. But probably not boring.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Silhouette posted:

Heaven Sent: There's an intergalactic Battle of the Bands, so The Doctor travels back in time to recruit the one singer who can save the universe - Ronnie James Dio.

Hell Bent: Dio gets incapacitated, so The Doctor must instead rely on his backup band - SLAYER!

Then the first episode of series 10 is Bat Out of Hell with special guest star Meat Loaf?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
THE ROUND THINGS

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Senor Tron posted:

Is that loving Susan?

What do we reckon, flashback scene showing Capaldi in the place of the first Doctor?

I thought it looked like Clara, but I could be wrong.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

seizure later posted:

Clara will regenerate in to River Song. The Doctor will realise that every companion he has ever travelled with was River Song all along. He looks in the mirror: he's River Song too.

I know where I came from, but then where did all you zombies come from?

*Plays Beethoven on guitar*

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Keep in mind that she said that, in meta-time, "before" he got a new set of regenerations. The scar on Trenzalore probably doesn't exist anymore either.

E: I realize I am falling into the trap of pretending Doctor Who has any coherent sense of continuity beyond the vaguest guidelines.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 3, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So the new companion is The Girl With Stars in Her Eyes and the entire season will be about the Doctor wondering how she has an entire universe inside her, all the while learning that he is, in fact, neither a Bad or Good man, but an idiot.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 30, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I want to be clear that my post was a joke riffing on the episode title, making the most Moffat season I could think of out of just that. It was hopefully not an actual leak.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HD DAD posted:

Or she stares too long at the sun in the first episode and is blind for the rest of the series.

But she stills acts like she can see. She can read and everything! The Doctor must investigate this mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Can't wait for The Fourteen Doctors

• Locked thread