Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Teek posted:

If Matt is leaving, I wonder if we'll get the replacement news as well or if that'll wait. The rumor going around the last few weeks was that Ben Daniels was selected, but that just sounded like typical rumor mongering.

Talk is the news might have possibly been prematurely leaked already, at least according to someone Ian Levine knows who then informed him. If that is the case, the news was supposedly that the next season will start in August of next year, run for 12 episodes and feature a brand new Doctor.

As much as I enjoy Matt Smith, I would be thrilled if they chose an older actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Royal W posted:

INTRODUCING JOHN HURT AS THE DOCTOR.
Season 8 will all be a flashback of the time war lived out in the Doctor's memory as he regenerates from 11-12.

A one-shot not-Doctor doesn't really count.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

@DrWhoOnline
Can't say much more but we have been contacted by a couple of newspapers regarding some news that will be EVERYWHERE tomorrow.

Noooo, Matt. You can't leave us!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Fazana posted:

Do they still have the "Who did River kill to be sent to prison?" storyline to finish since it turned out it wasn't the actual Doctor she killed at the lakeside or did I blink and miss the resolution?

She killed him in "Let's Kill Hitler" and was subsequently thrown in prison.

edit: This can be placed via her studies. She had killed the Doctor before the Angels two-parter (she didn't know she would become a doctor), then started her doctorate, then was sent to kill the Doctor at the lake when she completed it.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 3, 2013

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

2house2fly posted:

She didn't know she'd become a professor

Phooey. I thought I was so clever...

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

1) In good, clear light, it really shows how cheap Tennant's suit looks. Seriously they couldn't have run him off a new one? It looks like they bought it from some Chinese cosplay tailor on eBay.

It's possible it's the original suit, which was literally made of pants.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I think I woke up the whole house.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Let me be the first to say that I hope none of that is true. It sounds like poo poo.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

I love how people are saying its garbage just based off broad strokes. We have no idea how its going to play out.

Moffat has a poor track record when it comes to showing "ALL THE ENEMIES ARE HERE OH NO"(Pandorica excepted), so I'm not exactly hopeful that this one will be much better.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet this story does not look like it has River in it.

Well, there is that.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Wait, I am super, super confused. He has a poor track record of having all of the enemies join forces, with the exception of the only episode in which that actually ever happened? In what other episode did he "reuse" that idea?

I suppose I didn't word that quite as well as I could have. It's a problem that he has whenever a massive number of enemies show up and they are REALLY SERIOUS THIS TIME, LOOK HOW SERIOUS THEY ARE THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM. Off the top of my head: A Good Man Goes to War, The Wedding of River Song, The Angels Take Manhattan, and Nightmare in Silver (originally written by Gaiman, but obviously hosed over by Moffat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

computer parts posted:

Oh so you physically mean a large number of enemies, not a large variety. In that case, how is (e.g.) Bad Wolf, The End of Time, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords, etc any different?

I'm talking about Moffat's problems with this trope. Some people can pull it off, some can't.

ETA: Some shows/writers I thought of that can pull this trope off: Babylon 5 (JMS), Deep Space Nine (Ron Moore).

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 26, 2013

• Locked thread