Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Elrond Hubbard posted:

So, what are the chances that Smith and Tennant will be teaming up against Hurt? Smith seemed to have a lot of contempt for him in the Finale.

In that recent Smith and Tennant interview Smith says there's a "third character [he] can't talk about" who's "bemused" by the two Doctors, which, presuming that's Hurt, hints a bit towards what their relationship might be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Metal Loaf posted:

There's one fan theory that the time elapsed between Tegan leaving and coming back the first time (ie. between "Time-Flight" and "Arc Of Infinity"), them again after her second exit (ie. between "Resurrection Of the Daleks" and "Planet Of Fire"), Five could've travelled for a potentially very long time, because the life-span of natives of Taken and Trion was never officially established. :v:

In the BF audio Cobwebs the Doctor, Tegan and Turlough return to Nyssa 50 years later and she's considerably older, which means that Trakenites age at similar rate to humans. :reject:

This did make me realise a fun(?) bit of trivia, though: Five is the last Doctor to date to never travel alone at any point during his lifespan, assuming he didn't leave a companion/companions behind and come back for them later in an untelevised adventure. Smith and Tennant are alone half the time, Eccleston was alone pre-(and mid-)Rose, McGann left Grace alone, McCoy comes into the TV Movie alone, Colin is alone after the Trial, and Tom and Pertwee are alone in between pretty much every companion. That leaves only Troughton and Hartnell the other ones with a continuous cycle of companions (if you don't want to go into Season 6B or count that five minutes Hartnell is alone in the end of The Massacre).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rhyno posted:

As much as we'd like to forget her, Six had Mel with him at the end of Trial.

The timelines are super confusing, but there is a period where Six travels alone after Trial. Terror of the Vervoids takes place in the future from the point of view of Trial, which means that Six had not yet met Mel at that point (which in turn means that he first meets her in person as she is brought into the trial, but she has already met him as this Mel is presumably from after Vervoids... I guess?). After Trial, he returns her to her own time (whenever that is - maybe after Dragonfire? I can't remember if this is ever stated in Trial) and goes off on his own. He later meets an earlier version of Mel (this being her first meeting with the Doctor) who he then takes with him.

There's a BFA called The Wrong Doctors that's about this very thing. I haven't heard it, but I'm sure it makes a lot more sense than whatever I've just typed up.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

That seems unlikely at the moment. The Radio Times just published a piece saying that he wants Doctor Who fans to leave him alone. He says the remark was taken out of context and overblown, which is likely, but I do think he'd probably like a little space from the role.

I think he's also said he views his Master as the Delgado to Tennant's Pertwee, in that he feels he's strictly a one-Doctor Master (which makes sense, seeing how obviously one is modeled to play against the other). He's expressed interest in returning before, at least to do a regeneration scene, but he's denied involvement with the 50th and very probably won't be in it.

I liked Simm in his few appearances and I'd like to see him do a more subdued Ainley-in-Survival take on the role against Smith, but I'm also definitely ready for a new Master (come onnn Benedict Cumberbatch).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

I'm in the middle of a thrilling adventure with Anji and Fitz. This talk of a Time War is depressing. :sigh:

"The Eighth Doctor in [i posted:

Dark Eyes[/i]"]A war with the Daleks that wiped out the Time Lords? That is just about the most preposterous thing I've ever heard.

Metal Loaf posted:

Fitz was a great companion. Who should've played him alongside Paul McGann if they'd been on TV?

Oh wow, good question. James Nesbitt maybe?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The three Doctors in the TARDIS.

Apparently a teaser trailer was shown at the recent Edinburgh TV festival, and a fan took a snapshot (seems Moffat wasn't there to persuade them to do otherwise).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Seems the hair will be back as well, as there are clips of him talking about what a nightmare wearing a wig for the Christmas Special will be. At least he'll now have something to talk about with Paul McGann.

Also, by my count this will now be the third regeneration story in which the lead actor wears a wig, following the grand tradition of Time and the Rani and the TV Movie. interesting doctor who factsTM

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah but look at how silly looking they are, like even more silly looking than Daleks

Oh come now, let Zygons be Zygons

thank you

thank you very much

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Four new promo pics for Day:

Loving Ten's tie. Also, according to the BBC, a trailer for The Day of the Doctor is to be shown on BBC One at 8 PM on Saturday. About time!

EDIT: Also hashtags seem to be a big thing in 2013.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 7, 2013

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

These Zygons look dry. Zygons should be moist and squicky. Episode ruined, let me tell you.

Two pairs of Kate Stewarts and Tom-scarf girls? Time shenanigans, or what?

moths posted:

A hundred and eighty minutes of this wouldn't be enough.

And yes, I just want like five hours of Matt and David pointing at each other and smiling. I do like that it seems like we're getting a more jovial Doctor/Doctor-relationship than the classic Troghton-Pertwee bickerfest, which I love, of course, but it feels much more fitting for Ten and Eleven to just get super excited with how cool it is to meet yourself from the past/future.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
"I've had many faces, many lives. I don't admit to all of them. There's one life I've tried very hard to forget." Sounds very much like it's implying the Hurt Doctor is an incarnation unto himself, and not an elderly Eight, as one of the theories floating around goes.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
BBC America has released some new promo pics of Day, and there's an interesting one that shows Rose's full costume:

This is definitely not the Season 2 Rose, as the trailers already hinted.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Astroman posted:

Moffat's putting us out of business.

Steven Moffat writes a script
Steven Moffat sits tight-lipped
If Moffat hears your tongue has slipped
He eats you when you're sleeping

- "Spoilers Leak No More", an inscription on the walls of the Doctor Who production offices

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Sorry, I was unknowingly lied to, and that is fan art. Very good fan art, but still.

Don't worry, I found a 12th Doctor fridge magnet on eBay with Capaldi's real costume:

I can't believe they had the budget to film in grandma's backyard!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

DoctorWhat posted:

AND A VE-RY MER-RY CHRIST-MAS TO AAAAL OF YOU AT HOOOOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuBJ5H9m3Sc

PLEASE MAY I HAVE SOME MORE PLUM PUD-DING

AND CUST-ARD

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
New pics from The Time of the Doctor!

It's a motherfucking Monoid

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this actually being shown though? The synopsis made it sound like Smith goes out in a huge flash of light and the next time you see The Doctor or the TARDIS is at the very end where it's just an open door waiting for Clara.

Moffat and Coleman have both talked about Capaldi's first scene in interviews, I think, so we should see the man in action.

I'm a bit annoyed the Metacrisis Doctor wasted a regeneration (even if the idea of "wasting a regeneration" is kind of dumb in the first place, since it's a made-up restriction anyway that could be arbitrarily brought into play whenever they liked), but I'm fine with Moffat getting the regeneration limit thing off his chest now rather than leaving Capaldi brood and gloom about it for his whole run. If a stupid mess of a Christmas Special (is there any other kind?) is the price we have to pay for a clean start for Capaldi, I'm all for it.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

I hope they mean this more in the Matt Smith way and less in the Colin Baker way.

In post-regeneration madness, the Doctor goes a minute back in time and strangles himself, causing his own regeneration.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Here's BBC America's extended trailer for the special with some new stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlN-SPx1zAg

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
It's the Watcher!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Timby posted:

The article also confirms that filming will run through August, which feels just a touch short for 13 + Christmas. I wonder if they're going to put production of the Christmas special into a Series 9 production run.

The word is it's going to be a 12-episode run, possibly counting the Christmas special and having that as the series finale. Some people say this is because Who is produced/sold abroad in 14-episode blocks (13 episodes per series and a Christmas special) and that the 2013 specials took a spot each, but I'm not sure if that holds water.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Nuh huh he's really Santa, the real Santa :colbert:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Teek posted:

Season 9 has begun filming today. It's early on so of course all manner of rumors are being thrown out including things like "K-9" and "Sea Devils" . We'll see how those bear out as spy/fan pics begin to be posted.

Do we know the order they're filming in, is this for Moffat's Ep 1 or something else?

quote:

"Sea Devils"

ooohhh yess I like the sound of this

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Cleretic posted:

The Doctor Who Twitter has posted two fairly noteworthy things.

1. Two new episode titles, and their writers. The Girl Who Died by Moffat and Jamie Mathieson (Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline), and The Woman Who Lived by Catherine Tregenna (four Torchwood episodes; I don't know if they were good ones). I think we knew about Tregenna before this, but Mathieson wasn't confirmed yet.

2. Maisie Williams is here!

So the confirmed writers so far are Moffat, Mathieson, Tregenna and Gatiss, I think? And of those Moffat is writing, what, three or four, and the rest are presumably doing just the one each?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I hope next season the two-parters go full 60s Batman. THE MASTER MAKES HER PLAY / THE DOCTOR SAVES THE DAY

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

New promo image for the Christmas special, which is apparently called The Husbands of River Song. There's the new sonic again, as well.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Burkion posted:

(And Roberts was the Master piloting a human body around)

Ainley wasn't strictly speaking a Time Lord either, I suppose, since he was wearing Nyssa's dad.

quote:

They never not once tricked the Doctor with them.

This is true, though.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I can't wait for George Takei's guest appearance in episode 11

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

2house2fly posted:

I'd like to predict how it will end: the Doctor is trying to decide whether or not to regenerate and his conscious mind is lying down and dying in an imaginary Tardis like the end of Heaven Sent, when suddenly the Tardis doors open and in strides... the new Doctor (let's say Ricky Gervais) and shouts "ARE YOU 'AVING A LARFF??"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Stabbatical posted:

Actually Reece Shearsmith played Troughton in An Adventure in Space and Time so if we're looping around...

He'd probably make a good Doctor too. Shame he was so prominent in Sleep No More, not that that necessarily stops his casting...

The real reason Gatiss wouldn't take over as showrunner was so he could prepare for his inevitable stint as the 14th Doctor.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

BSam posted:

Perhaps in a sequel to the Dream Doctor episode. There are two new Doctors in the TARDIS brought forth from the twelfth doctors psyche, one is the personification of his confidence, and the other his paranoia.

Both played by Michael Jayston.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
What if David Bradley will actually be playing the Abbot of Amboise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Anthony Hopkins as Richard Nixon as Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor as Ramón Salamander

• Locked thread