Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

My guess is likely the Fourth Doctor was around the longest, both due to his onscreen time and the fact that I think his age shot up from 400 something, when it was last mentioned by the Third or Second Doctor I believe, to the 700s or so.

I think the earliest mention of the Doctor's age was in "The Mind Robber", when Two says he's about 450. In "Robot" (the first Tom Baker serial), he enters his TARDIS, dematerialises and rematerialises and steps back out almost straight away, having apparently spent about a century or so travelling the cosmos. In "The Pyramids Of Mars" he mentions that he'll soon be middle-aged, but I can't remember how old he said he was at the time off the top of my head (maybe 750).

I bet the real reason he never went home if he could help it is because he knew his old school bullies would give him a hard time about it. You know, "There's the Doctor; he's barely been around for a millennium and he's already gone through most of his regenerations! Hahahahaha!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Renzian posted:

I think this is the best way to deal with the idea of the Doctor's age, because so many different writers have said so many different things about how old he is at so many different points throughout the series that trying to make sense of it all will just make your head hurt. But for what it's worth, back when RTD was writing the show, I worked out that in my own personal calculation the Doctor must have traveled for 200 years with Romana because he's in his 700s when Romana first meets him, but then in Trial of a Timelord he's in his 900s, and as 5 he only ever traveled with human/human-lifespan companions sooo. But that's just my own take.

There's one fan theory that the time elapsed between Tegan leaving and coming back the first time (ie. between "Time-Flight" and "Arc Of Infinity"), them again after her second exit (ie. between "Resurrection Of the Daleks" and "Planet Of Fire"), Five could've travelled for a potentially very long time, because the life-span of natives of Taken and Trion was never officially established. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fitz was a great companion. Who should've played him alongside Paul McGann if they'd been on TV?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It could be that we're getting four special episodes next year instead of a new series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Isn't the Mail known to be full of poo poo though?

So much so that you wipe more on than off if you use it as toilet paper, but that's neither here nor there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Smith's been great. I remember I was at my grandmother's house watching Doctor Who Confidential when he was announced, and as soon as he appeared on the screen she was like, "Oh, no! Just look at his hair!"

Still, it's a real pity that he didn't get three "conventional" seasons like Tennant did, what with the splitting and all that. Hopefully he'll get a better send-off than part two of "The End Of Time".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've got to say, I really, really, really hope they're not going to split the next series in half again That would probably be one of the absolute worst things that could happen to a new actor trying to establish himself in the role.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember my dad telling me that Peter Davison was the actor who had the most name recognition when he was cast, since he'd been in All Creatures Great and Small beforehand.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Porkchop Express posted:

I thought that the first three were all pretty well known before they took on the role?

Pertwee was mainly known for his work in radio and theatre, while Hartnell and Troughton were primarily character actors.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Noxville posted:

Not to mention the faffing around with the delays and split seasons and all that, if I were an actor I probably wouldn't want to be tied to a show whose producers I couldn't be sure knew what they were doing.

I think the split seasons were out of Moffat's hands, though.

The first one was going alright, then "Let's Kill Hitler" happened.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

It's probably six of one, half-dozen of the other. Budgets have definitely been an issue, but there have been multiple reports that Moffat is notoriously slow at writing scripts / revising other people's scripts (he supposedly got the 50th special script in only a few weeks before filming, which gave the design and costuming departments very little time to do their thing), and that between Sherlock and Who, he's just in over his head. I have a hunch that the reason Gatiss and Stephen Thompson wrote the first two episodes of the next run of Sherlock was to give Moffat time to focus on the 50th / Christmas specials and get working on Series 8.

Yeah, I was thinking between Sherlock and Doctor Who he might have bitten off more than he can chew. I remember he was talking about how it was "hell" writing the 50th.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know who could or should play the Doctor next, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I'd be dead keen to see James Nesbitt as the Master.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Paterson Joseph for the Doctor and James Nesbitt for the Master. That's one way to do it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

So the Master is going to kill The Doctor in a lion cage?

Yeah, but these would be time-travelling lions, see.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

If middle age go with Philip Glenister.

How about Peter Capaldi?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Umbra Dubium posted:

As long as it's never Boris.

Ahhhhh! Classic legend, mate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yannick_B posted:

Writing is pretty hard and time-consuming, ontop of that, he's an actual executive producer. If he's not writing, then he's sitting in on casting, production meetings, watching dailies, etc....and he's doing it on two shows!

I think that, during the programme's "golden age" (and I'm extrapolating this from DVD production notes), the duties of a modern "show runner" were split between the script editor and the producer, with the former overseeing the stories and the latter mainly taking care of everything else while making some contributions to the stories.

I've heard that JNT was the first producer to take on more and more of a "show runner" role (in the contemporary sense) but I haven't the information to credit it myself.

Perhaps Moffat's problem is that he has the inclinations of a script editor but has to shoulder the duties of a producer at the same time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember James McAvoy was seen as a serious contender for replacing Tennant, but I guess he's busy with the X-Men movies now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What about the televised adventures of Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Fargle posted:

Welcome to the most redundant thing ever said in history.

He would need to be playing him as Captain Redbeard Rum.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SombreroAgnew posted:

If your TV episode requires a companion novel to be understood, it's not a great sign.

That's actually contrary to the BBC charter, isn't it? You shouldn't have to rely on supplementary material to understand a televised story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Republican Vampire posted:

The only real complaints I've seen are that it'd invalidate a big chunk of the EU stuff that people are fond of, and that there've been a lot of Eleven references since Smith started.

As far as I'm aware, the audio adventures are generally treated as "more canonical" than either the comics or the novels but to the best of my knowledge they don't have an account of Eight's regeneration or anything like that. As a matter of fact, the official portrayal of the Eight to Nine regeneration was originally offered to the comic strip before demands from the higher-ups put paid to it.

00Kevin posted:

There's something to be said for the narrative idea that McGann's charming, lighthearted, and optimistic Doctor was the one to face the full horror of the Time War. Kinda like how the worst poo poo seemed to happen with the Fifth Doctor. I don't know, maybe Eight started the war and Hurt finished it.

I think the general assumption (suggested by RTD when he was asked about the Time War) is that the Doctor started the Time War back in "Genesis Of the Daleks" when he was charged by the Time Lords to prevent their creation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

That was also supposed to have lead into a "Ninth Doctor: Year One" comic storyline which would have ended with 9 leaving his then-companion (Destrii) behind to go off and fight in the Time War.

Yeah, they didn't Nine to have appearances in any media that didn't involve Rose (which is understandable, really, since it doesn't make sense to confuse new viewers who won't be as familiar with the comics).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd completely forgotten that Smith was announced on Doctor Who Confidential. I didn't really watch it much, but I definitely remember seeing that episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

He will have to beat Spock or the reporter.

I thought Kennedy was assassinated by a temporal copy of himself, aided and abetted by Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and the Cat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Umbra Dubium posted:

If I wish hard enough it actually looks like Omega.

They should totally ask Peter Davison to play him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the Beeb were able to get him for Merlin on a recurring basis, so I suspect there's every possibility they could do the same for Who.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, a poor choice in retrospect. It was the first one that occurred to me and now I can't think of a better example.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

The last good story with them, outside of audios, should not have been 30 something goddamn years ago!

It wasn't.

It was forty years ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Boods posted:

I can't remember the episode off the top of my head, but there's at least one Patrick Troughton one where he addresses the audience (not part of the episode; it was shown prior, I think) to tell the kiddies that this week's episode is really scary, and their mums and dads might get really scared, so they might want to take hold of mummy or daddy's hand to reassure them. :3:

I remember reading about something like that; in the scenario I heard about, they were getting a bit of stick for the stories being too scary for kids so someone on the production staff (it might have been Hinchcliffe, but I'm not sure) had a letter printed in Radio Times in which they advised kids to watch with their parents in case mum and dad were frightened.

I think it was in the information text for one of the Holmes/Hinchcliffe era serials, possibly "The Brain Of Morbius", or possibly a Pertwee story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Putting the OLD under John Hurt is just mean.

They also put "GOING" under Smith. Perhaps there is also some bizarre relevance to placing "FOR" under Tennant, as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

Wait but do Time Lords age? The doctor claimed to have been pottering about for 200 years in the first Silence episode, and nothing that happened later seemed to contradict him. But the Master aged him with a laser screwdriver in the episode where the Master was prime minister. I'm sure there have been other reference but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I don't know if the Master explicitly aged him as much as he made him look his age somehow, though I might have misunderstood the scene. He said something like that when he turned him into Dobby the House-Elf.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I seem to be part of the minority, but I really don't see what part the Zygons have in modern Doctor Who at all, and certainly in the anniversary.

I've heard they were David Tennant's favourite monsters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doctor Who Saves Belfast.

It worked out fine for Captain Planet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

It's a Wonderful Life was about saving a single life. And for all the poo poo people give RTD, he frequently recognized and exulted the inherent value in a single human's existence.

I have heard (it might have been in The Writer's Tale but I'm not completely sure) that he originally planned for "The End Of Time" to be a more low-key affair, and Ten would've regenerated after sacrificing his life to save a single alien family.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

It was still pretty neat the way it was, he was in the clear but had to sacrifice himself to save that one old dude. I liked his little rant about it a lot. For all his faults, Russell T could write some good dialogue and do interesting things with the character.

Sure, there were some pretty good scenes in it. Shame about everything else.

Part of the problem with "The End Of Time" is that it can be difficult to divorce the fact that it's the last Tenth Doctor story from the corresponding fact that it's also the last RTD and David Tennant story. I suppose there's an element of that in every regeneration episode, but I found it especially distracting in "The End Of Time" because, well, aside from the telefilm and Christopher Eccleston's last episode, I wasn't actually alive when any of the other regeneration stories were broadcast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

You're only 17? :colbert:

No, I'm 21.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spoilers Below posted:

Well, and at the very end, he kinda does. He's already saved the day and beaten all bad guys and stopped the Master and should be ready to jet off for yet another adventure in time and space. The Doctor could just let Wilf die; Wilf's an old man who's already lived a long life, and no one would ever know. But if he did that, then he wouldn't be the Doctor.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. It's just that from what I've heard that was going to be a bigger thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

:19 Robed men, possibly Time Lords, striding Seriously...maybe even Rassilon?

Good grief. Do you reckon this could go a ways to redeeming the Time Lord stuff from "The End of Time"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just had a thought; it'd be really cracking if all the faces seen during the Doctor's telepathic fight with Morbius the last time he visited Karn were in the chalices the Sisters offered him.

• Locked thread