Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mameluke posted:

On my world, it means "hope."

Who is actually short for "Whope".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Jason King a while ago and Richard Hurndall had a supporting part in one episode, and I was like, "Goodness me, is that William Hartnell?" It was pretty uncanny - they looked really similar when they weren't in make-up or wigs or anything, but when they each played the First Doctor, it didn't quite work. Might have been the voice. They sound sort of similar but didn't quite match.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just how did you think Tom Baker was actually getting around nowadays? :v:

He sails round and round the Isle of Wight until everyone gets dizzy, then heads for home.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be pretty funny if it turned out the Beeb was actually playing a big trick and in fact deliberately leaked the twists about John Simm and the Mondasian Cybermen so people would be really surprised when they announced that the Thirteenth Doctor is Ruth Wilson* Natalie Dormer** not Tennant 2.0.

* :smith:

** :smith: :smith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Angela Lansbury would've been a brilliant Doctor back in... Well, just about any time in the past 50 years or so (like Dame Maggie Smith, she is one of those actors who to my mind has always seemed old), though I'm specifically thinking of her turn as Eglantine Price. :D

Seriously, that movie: she's the Doctor, the magic bed is the TARDIS, and her companions are three Blitz orphans and a flashy London wide boy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When he was announced, my mum asked me who he was, but the only role she recognised was "the Songs of Praise producer on The Vicar of Dibley".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like him, but he's one of those actors I'd have difficulty separating from his previous work.

Sure, people felt the same way about Capaldi. I know I did until he got playing Twelve. Remember all those "Malcolm's sticker in the TARDIS" fan videos where he tells Clara and the Daleks to gently caress off?

I think everyone who plays the character eventually becomes The Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like there's a lot more hostility to the Doctor being played by a woman than being played by a black man. I imagine if David Harewood, for example, was announced as the new Doctor, there's be some inevitable grousing, but less so than if it was a woman. That's my impression anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wish to observe that in the past couple of days I've seen and the past enough people (from every quarter, really, not just Internet comments) opening that they should bring Tennant back that I'm convinced the Beeb are probably onto something. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

Holy poo poo. They did it.

Forest Whitaker is the 13th Doctor.

The actor's name is Whittaker.

The announcement video is set in a forest.

Coincidence? I think not. :smug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Mark Gatiss is going to be in front of the camera in the Xmas special in an apparently secret role. Hopefully not the 3rd Doctor...

Professor Lazarus reappears and reveals that he was behind everything all along (somehow).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

Only if the Master is a Protestant from Northern Ireland.

So that's Colm Meaney as the Doctor and Kenneth Branagh as the Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Every episode would just be the Doctor living out several lifetimes in a torturous hell prison while a day passes for everyone else.

The Master's endless uncut four-hour version of Hamlet.

• Locked thread