Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"So, we managed to successfully bring the Mondasian Cybermen back in a creepy episode that really highlighted the horror of them. Now what? That stupid Iron Man flight would be good, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The emotional crux of the episode was Bill dealing with being converted, what that meant for how people reacted to her and her life going forward, and the Doctor dealing with the fact that he'd failed to protect her and couldn't undo it. That's not really the Cybermen being sidelined in the story or it becoming another Evil Robots story, it's a whole episode of "father must see my uniform."

Though yeah, it'd have been more effective if there'd been more of the Cyberman suit and voice intercut with Pearl Mackie playing Bill throughout.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Mark Gatiss is going to be in front of the camera in the Xmas special in an apparently secret role. Hopefully not the 3rd Doctor...

Sam Kisgart movin' on to the "real" universe.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TL posted:

https://youtu.be/YCkDXegqjR0

Christmas special trailer

Y'know, gently caress it, bugger my reservations about recasting One, I'm super down.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Timby posted:

... those reservations should have gone away four years ago, or did you not see An Adventure in Space and Time?

Saw it and loved it. My reservations are nothing to do with Bradley himself and more about the idea of recasting individual incarnations of the Doctor generally

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The thing about pointing to Five Doctors to say "no, see, they did it before" is that it completely ignores that doing so that first time has come to be viewed largely as a mistake and a bit of a joke in the following thirty years. To the point that David Tennant and Phil Colinson call it "Three and a Half Doctors and a Bloke in a Wig" on their dvd commentary of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

The straight up recast the Third Doctor and Ben though in full cast audios...

The Third Doctor Adventures at least started with narration by Treloar that kind of sells it as a Chronicles/Adventures type thing but my understanding is that they dropped it after the first set and just went full on, full cast, recast after that.

And yeah, not just Ben, I think they have the woman that played Jacqueline Hill in the anniversary docudrama playing Barbara in later Early Adventures releases too

• Locked thread