Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's only one Doctor Who writer responsible for multiple classics who hasn't also produced a complete stinker: John Lucarotti

Prize if you got it!

He was responsible for Dodo. That's an entire laundry list of awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mavric posted:

Just trying to get something straight, which Doctor does River actually marry? The Wedding of River Song doesn't count because it was an alternate timeline right? So is it supposed to be some future doctor we haven't met and from the Doctor's view point he meeting her in reverse order? 10 meets her first when she dies and some future incarnation will meet her for the last time when they marry?

It's 11-more or less.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
RTD rarely did the Doctor Who gag, and often even if it was said, it wasn't meant to be a gag.

Unlike with the Moffat stuff where it's this big awful winking nudging thing every loving time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the mutant priests who are super creepy and sleep like bat people have lightning powers why now?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I dunno, we managed to resolve the regeneration limit in a single episode. I fully expected that to be a season-long gambit.

Let's be totally fair. If he didn't piss away a total season, he would have.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please for the love of God actually give them a good story this time. That doesn't end with them all blowing up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Master regenerates into RIVER SONG.

With a goatee

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bpc908 posted:

I don't see how you can form an opinion just by reading, you don't know how the actors will portray the characters in the episodes. It's best to wait for the episodes to air and then form an opinion.

Because if the script is a piece of poo poo then all you can hope for is the actors to be able to polish the poo poo so you won't notice as much.

In the end, though, it's still a piece of poo poo.

This is NOT in reference to any series 8 scripts, for the record-I have not personally read them. This is just how scripts work. If you have terrible writing, you have a terrible show. Actors can only do so much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is not the thread you seek.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609910&pagenumber=91#lastpost This is the thread you seek.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I and another Goon watched it and...

Man, I miss RTD.

Man, I miss Season 5.

MAN I miss Pip and...OK no I don't.

This is easily one of the worst Doctor introductions in recent history. Obviously not the worst, but that would require human sacrifices and hell fire beaming directly in your eyes. The most entertaining thing about the whole mess WAS the unfinished CGI, though I barely even noticed the unfinished effects on the main robot dude.

I can go into so many reasons why I did not like this, point out all of the flaws, all of the bullshit that I personally did not care for. But I won't, because I instead will just focus on one thing, the core of the villain plot.

Why were these Clockwork Robots? Why couldn't they have been Cybermen?

Imagine for a moment, a Cybership crashing into Prehistoric Earth (HAH, as if that'd ever happen!) and the Cybermen MUZZZT SURVIVE no matter what and the Cyber Leader eventually gets it into his head that there must be some kind of paradise that he has to survive to reach. So he starts to reverse cybernize himself, taking human parts and replacing his failing machinery with them.

It'd be a Cyberman working BACKWARDS out of desperation to stay alive.

Wouldn't that have made more sense and been far more interesting than the BorgMen we have now, play more with WHY they're Cybermen to begin with, and keep us from bringing back a one note villain group who really shouldn't possibly be able to come back ON TOP of the ludicrously wasted potential of a villain who is literally MILLIONS OF YEARS OLD just getting killed off like nothing?

This really seemed like, with some polish, this should have been the big return script for the Cybermen.

That and I really do have to ask why don't these robits look ANYTHING like the original robits?

I have tons of problems with this episode, and I highly doubt some finished paintwork on the CGI and a dash of color are going to solve them.

Capaldi is drowning under all of the bullshit, only able to stand out because of what a good actor he is. He gets about three or four scenes that are done well- it's like playing darts blind folded at this point. EVENTUALLY you're going to hit the bulls-eye, but Goddamn is your arm going to get tired before that happens.

On a good note, I will say I love the ambiguity/leaning towards the idea that the Doctor is the one to push the robot out of the...human skin hot air balloon fuckyou.

I love that it didn't get brought up again or questioned by Clara.

And then River Song 2.0 shows up and shits all over it a bit. Just a bit.

Like she has irritable bowels.

Maybe that's why she can't stop dancing.

Moffat please go away. Please.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah to clarify, we watched the work print.

I'm honestly not sure what they're going to cut- or what they could add. Which is why I feel perfectly fine making my opinion on the episode known here. If it was one of those deals where it was just random scenes or incomplete in obvious glaring ways, or with entire scenes missing, that'd be one thing.

Here there is only one slight jump cut, that seemed to shave off a few seconds at most, near the very end. Beyond that, it looked whole, just without the finished effects and transitions.

And those did not affect my watch what so ever outside of an early laugh at a super incomplete T-Rex mock up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Since we were just talking about long-standing acquaintances the Doctor has known for centuries but conveniently entirely offscreen, this is actually how the Rani was introduced. She went to school with the Doctor and the Master.

No one is saying she isn't a lovely character.

We're saying Moffat doesn't need to make her WORSE.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

e X posted:

Well, RTD made the Mater the Doctor's ex, so Moffat has to draw even somehow.

Let's be super honest here.

They were always making out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

From the non-spoiler thread. Hahaha!

I try, I try.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, good for them. I hope they enjoy it as much as they think they will.

That's be great.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the Doctor Clara relationship stuff was from the Season 8 that never was, an entire season that would have actually built to Time of the Doctor, instead of just being crammed into Time of the Doctor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is a marked improvement over Deep Breath, in the same fashion that a D is a marked improvement over an F.

I'm not going to ask the nerdier things, like why radiation would make a Dalek go KILL ALL DALEKS, when they're RADIOACTIVE MUTANTS TO BEGIN WITH- I'm not going to point out that the self destruction that ole Rusty used at the end, which was the (exact) same one from Dalek, does not do damage to its surroundings what so ever and thus the Dalek ship should be fine-maybe the actual animation will fix that who knows- I'm not going to ask why they didn't have the same shrinking tech as the time agents because gently caress that rabbit hole.

I'm going to ask one single narrative question that unravels this whole adventure.

What good is a 'good Dalek'? How does it change anything?

Are you going to mind link with all Daleks everywhere? That the game plan?

Because you know, Doctor, there have been GOOD DALEKS before now.

There's, oh, say, the Dalek from Dalek, infected with humanity.

There's Dalek Sec who realized the futility of what they were doing.

There's Dalek Caan who also realized what the Daleks were

And what was that again, something about...THE ORIGINAL DALEKS INFUSED WITH THE HUMAN FACTOR WHO WERE PLAYFUL AND QUESTIONED THINGS

Off of the top of my head, I could recall four Good Daleks. The Doctor can't seem to remember a loving one.

Fun fact, of those four?

Three out right tried to murder the entire Dalek race, in one fashion or another, and Sec compromised by just trying to change what a Dalek WAS on a fundamental level, destroying what they were.

How the HELL is the Doctor so shocked that yet another Dalek with morality realized, holy poo poo, Daleks are pure loving evil, I should kill them!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remembered another Good Dalek that the Doctor REALLY should have remembered!

The OswinDalek. I mean, for the love of Christ, they brought up that plot point that the Daleks didn't remember who he was, SOME HOW, despite the Christmas special clearly showing that they knew now who he was and wait.

The Doctor linked his mind to that of a Dalek.

The Daleks share a hive mind of information apparently.

Shouldn't all of the Daleks know about the Doctor now?

The more I think about this dumb, dumb episode, the more I want to strangle whoever wrote it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I don't get the hate for Clara. She's pretty much the same character that ever other Doctor has traveled with.

Replace hate for with point of.

Only she's only like every woman MOFFAT has written.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Call me ignorant but I don't understand this "Moffat woman character" thing. How is she any different from Polly/Sarah Jane/Mel/Rose/Dodo/Peri/Nyssa/Vicki?

Can I make fun of you for including Dodo on that list? Because really, Dodo?

She doesn't count.

The rest? Yeah that's been covered. The closest one you can list that's even SORT of similar to how Moffat tends to write women, Rose, still had a ton of very real flaws and anything bad with Rose was instantly undone with her The Moment Bad Wolf form and that amazing dance.

Wait a minute- what character development has Amy had?

I mean I know River, like, mutated from a psychopath out to kill the Doctor to a psychopath out to gently caress the Doctor, and I guess that's LIKE character development, but really how much does Amy change from start to finish, besides puberty?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair to Lovecraft didn't he in fact retract a lot of his racist views in later life?

Lovecraft is a strange, strange man.

I'm still not sure how much of his racism was honestly held by him, how much was born from his general and LONG list of psychosis, and how much was just culture and upbringing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've always been very vocal about not...enjoying it. But then I'm a very vocal Cyberman fan who feels they haven't had a truly good serial since the Invasion, so you know.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rita Repulsa posted:

RTD initiated the terrible new series cybermen in the first place and the cybermen have only showed up like once in 11's run

No.

They have shown up every year especially for the group meetings. And they showed up just to get the poo poo kicked out of them and make Rory appear badass for no Goddamn reason in a Good Man Goes to War.

If you don't count those, they have two solo adventures with 11- Both are poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I may just copy paste my review, but I AM going to wait about doing that until I see the real final product.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Never explicitly stated to be his mother so easy to change or ignore

You know, I never really thought about it before- but what if that was the Doctor's wife?

Like his actual, original wife. Unless he adopted Susan's father/mother, whichever was his, and there's some mutterings that he absolutely didn't, he has a wife unaccounted for, and she'd be about the right age to go with Hartnell Doc.

Maybe they split up or some such.

Basically I'm willing to accept anything except the idea that it was his mom because that's lame.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spatula City posted:

Aw hell. the friggin' Cybermen. I don't hate Nightmare in Silver like some people here, but they're just not compelling antagonists. They look kind of scary, but in practice they come off as dumb as hell. Whereas the Daleks look dumb as hell, and then come off terrifying. Because people love the Daleks. Who loves the Cybermen? NOBODY LOVES THE CYBERMEN.

You have mail.

To The Order of Shut Your Noise Hole: gently caress You.

I ADORE the Cybermen ya gently caress. They would be fantastic, especially now adays, if some one, ANYONE, would loving write them like Cybermen. None of their stories have been as entertaining as The Invasion, and the last one to explore them as they should be was Tomb, so REALLY play up that angle if you can't be entertaining. Stop treating them like their unstoppable robot armies and Borg and treat them as the ultimate survivalists who refuse to die, even though they effectively did long ago.

No one wants to do this though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

e X posted:

The Cybermen work best when they are not just another conquering alien race, but are actually used in a more horror like story. Sadly, even in old Who, they were too often used inserted in the usual "X tries to take over Y" format.

The best was The Invasion, and that's mostly because while the Cybermen weren't being played up to their strengths, A LOT of what makes them scary was at the core of the story, from how their technology became so wide spread, to the weapon developed to stop them to begin with, the emotion overloader thing-which didn't KILL them, I'll note, New Who. It made them EVEN MORE DANGEROUS you fuckers.

Also, you know, Vahn. That man could have saved ANY serial he was in.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I keep trying to work out how the Cybermen are connected to Paradise and Missy and I just don't get it.

We see Missy with the Doctor apparently, so she may not be working with them...

Could the Cybermen of some how created Paradise to draw in other beings?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh right we see him partly converted don't we?

loving Hell if they some how reverse that...

EDIT: I mean in the set photos from the finale.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've mentioned how much I loving loath Closing Time, yeah?

Because I do.

All of the hate.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Caretaker I worry about because gently caress the Doctor having issues with Soldiers.

Kill the Moon has good and worrying elements.

Mummy just sounds like fun. Please don't stab me in the back

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
OK let's be totally honest here. No one, NO ONE, is going to draw comparisons to a Dalek blowing itself up to a human terrorist.

No one reasonable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Beens posted:

Maybe because they thought the ending that they went with was better?
The 2 changes are not the same - the dalek one was a re write and an differently filmed ending during production, the robin hood one was a last minute edit prior to broadcast in reaction to an event a week earlier.

Uh, not exactly sport.

They rewrote jackshit and nothing was differently filmed as you say.

They just cut the scene, like they cut Robin's scene.

Unless you know more than we do about the behind the scenes tomfoolery.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You're taking poo poo for totally unrelated reasons.

Also for the record, I only argued that they did resemble each other. Because they do. Not that strong a resemblance, but hey.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God I just started liking this season no please

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jsor posted:

I heard Supernatural actually managed to pull it off.

I think the problem right now is not that it's necessarily a bad premise, it could work for a one-off episode that doesn't take itself at all seriously. It's that it's incredibly ridiculous idea for the major twist of a season arc.

Supernatural did an amazing job with it actually.

I should note- I am not opposed to this as a stand alone. But if Missy is tied to this or some such...God no

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We'll see what comes of it.

Again, it's been done well before-but if they go the wrong way with it, especially in regards to Missy, it could be just kind of really awful.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chex Warrior posted:

So... if the finale is Cybermen then Missy is Mr. Clever, right?
gently caress you might be right.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

That didn't bother me. I think children are better at distinguishing fact and fiction than they are usually given credit for and I really doubt that anyone is going to stop taking their pills because of this episode.

Healthy children? For the most part yes they tend to be, but they also are astonishingly good at taking advice from beloved role models.

MENTALLY ILL CHILDREN? Some of whom only need an EXCUSE to try and skip their meds because they feel it makes them less of a person or ANY OF THE OTHER REASON THEY WOULD SKIP THEIR MEDS?

I don't think I even need to answer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Is the plot device of someone mistakenly being thought insane intrinsically bad? It's a pretty common thing.

So you're purposely being dumb or you just don't understand. OK.

Let me make it clear what MY issue, SPECIFICALLY, is.

The Doctor's message this episode was Do Not Give A Child Who Hears Voices Medicine To "Stifle Them" Instead Listen To Those Voices.

He never addresses the fact that children who are ACTUALLY mentally ill should, in fact, be on medication and in fact his attitude about the whole thing implies the opposite.

Which is *ALL* some kids who NEED THAT MEDICINE NEED.

• Locked thread