Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Is anyone else really upset at Moffat retconning the whole new series?

I feel incredibly (perhaps irriationally) angry about it.

I know some people claim that Moffat's "always" had the plan of introducing the Hurt Doctor, but to me it just feels like Moffat had a story that he wanted to tell about the Time War, couldn't get Eccleston to come back for it, and decided "Hey, I'm showrunner, I'll do what I want!" and made up a new Doctor for himself to play with.

I like Hurt, don't get me wrong; I'd have loved to see him play Doctor number twelve, but this just seems unnecessarily contradictory.

[Edit] Oh, and also, is there any official reason they don't tap McGann more? I know he likes playing The Doctor, and seems generally well-liked (at least as much as Colin's Doctor, probably more). I just don't get it.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

jivjov posted:

Man, you're The Doctor. You were there, man! You should tell us what went down!

:rolleyes: Look at his avatar. Clearly he's the Eighth Doctor and knows about as little as the rest of us.

[Edit] Because it hasn't happened to him yet, you see.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 30, 2013

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Is there a reason so many people spell it Ecclestone? At first I thought it was a singular typo, but I've seen it that way a lot of places. It's clearly supposed to be Eccleston.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Mortanis posted:

I love that we're already calling Capaldi 13...

We are not calling Capaldi 13. Because everything having to do with the horrible retcon that Doctor Hurt seems to be is not yet cannon and, therefore, if I close my eyes really hard, doesn't exist.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

... I wasn't actually alive when any of the other regeneration stories were broadcast.

You're only 17? :colbert:

vvv Oh, my mistake. I missed that and just assumed thay he ignored the TV movie like a lot of people do.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 5, 2013

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Five goes out in a screaming circle of regret and immediately strangles his companion...

You're thinking of six. Five dies of poisonous gas inhalation after giving his companion the only dose of antitoxin. He hallucinates his previous companions urging him to keep fighting and stay alive.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

She's... SHE'S WEARING A T.BAKES SCARF!
:aaaaa:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Look at that lovely title!

Ok, then!
I can just about forgive the "missing Doctor" nonsense as long as it's not just a cop-out to not show McGann and being babbies about being unable to get Eccleston. One out of two aint bad.

And we got the better of the two! McGann! :swoon:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Mortanis posted:

No stranger than 10 meeting 5 in Time Crash - I mean, 10 remembers how to solve the problem because he remembers seeing it as 5, but somehow doesn't remember being told "by the way, the Master's back".

Still, this establishes that the events happened in 11's temporal past, and it's not some sort of time-travel-fuckery that rewrites history, causing 11 meeting 10 to happen for the first time simultaneously for them or something. That's... interesting.

I *really* wish they'd canonize the perspective timeline theory. They've courted it quite extensively throughout the years, so it's not like it wouldn't fit the show's dynamic.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Teek posted:

Well, turns out The Last Day was released on iTunes in the UK, not seen it yet elsewhere. Apparently it's just a non-Doctor involved short about Arcadia. Guess that lessens the chance for Eccelston.

... "Arcadia"?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

I loved the episode, however, the final line:
"At last I know where I’m going. Where I’ve always been going. Home: The long way ’round!"

This sounds suspicious and terrible, to me. Cartmel Masterplan, anybody? :tinfoil:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's only one Doctor Who writer responsible for multiple classics who hasn't also produced a complete stinker: John Lucarotti

Prize if you got it!

Liar. Douglas Adams

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

He only did like one and a half plus a canceled/never produced one, though.

Cancelled/never produced shouldn't exactly count against him, especially given the number of times now that it's been remixed/remade suggest that it was a generally well-liked story.

I know I personally enjoyed the Paul McGann audio of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Anyone see this yet? Rumors of a McGann/Capaldi two Doctor special, supplemented from Paul's personal Twitter:

Paul McGann posted:

This is my moment...!

http://pic.twitter.com/42J9ep6WVP

• Locked thread