Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Not just acceptance, but also redemption, in this case for the War Doctor. It seems, just looking at it from the outside that that's the reason why he's there with 10 and 11 on whatever mission they're off on in the 50th. He's the Doctor that they poo poo on for doing what he did in the Time War, the one that's been stripped of the title of Doctor. So it seems likely that he might be trying to redeem himself and by the end The Day of the Doctor he'll have done something worthy of restoring his Doctor-ness, if only in the eyes of 10 and 11.

Or who knows, honestly...

Well as we've seen it wasn't like 9 woke up and said "gently caress that last guy, I'm not calling HIM The Doctor." It was a conscious decision made by 8 and ratified by the War Doctor.

And it's a personal distinction anyway. For example, his fellow Time Lords still called him "The Doctor" ("The Doctor has The Moment and he will use it.").

So if anything, War Doctor poo poo on himself, and needs to come to terms with himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ephemeron posted:

This minisode retroactively redeemed EoT for me. If weird magical elixirs are the elevated form of Time Lord science, then Master's rebirth ritual scene does make sense, after all.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I also assume the elixirs are filled with tiny nanobots that rewrite Time Lord DNA, but they've reached the stage where their technology looks like magic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

River's always going to be different because she's a Time Head baby conceived in the TARDIS. She's also a Human Time Lord, as opposed to a Gallifreyan one (which I suppose works like Kaled DNA Daleks vs Human DNA Daleks).

It's no stretch to believe that the TARDIS might have imbued her with upgraded regeneration tech. But truthfully the new regeneration effect is just an effect, and I suspect it's more to be seen as the Roddenberry Klingon explanation of "it always looked that way, we just didn't have the special effects budget to do it properly in the 60s." And it's not like the first 7 regenerations were consistent at all. Heck, look at the weird face morphing of the TV Movie. Regeneration effects are always "the best sfx technology can do at the time."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

And how easily he put it on. "Huh, a fez came through a portal. Better put it on, quick."

Like Rose, it's a love affair that spans regenerations. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think

quote:

Moffat had met him for a "very amiable and gentlemanly" conversation and the actor considered it "quite seriously" before saying no. "It's just not the sort of thing he does," concludes Moffat. "The ninth Doctor turns up for the battle but not the party."
means "Eccleston said "no" to coming back at all. That the 9th Doctor/Eccleston is the type of person who would show up for a battle, but not a party (the "party" being the 50th anniversary, the "battle" probably being the revival of a dead franchise).

I think what we'll see, if anything, is Hurt regenerating into a short haired body double of Eccleston seen from behind who says "Fantastic!" via a dub, taking place on "The Last Day" of the Time War in that minisode on the DVD.

Nor do I think they will de-retcon The War Doctor and have McGann change to Eccleston, because that would change the Time War.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Not necessarily. The Time War existing in some bubble (wellll, it's not a bubble, but etc.) outside of time leaves a lot of room for creating some kind of a sixth dimension with extra-time travel or something. They will not do that, because it's too confusing and narrative-wise it isn't very interesting, but still, the rules of time travel (what few Doctor Who follows) are completely out the window for the war.

edit: wait, I'm in the spoiler thread again :wth:

We're like our own little Time Bubble in here!

I just think it would be tough to retcon the Time War out simply because 9 and 10 remember it and were so emo about it. It would mean wholesale bits of dialogue and motivation from the first few seasons of their runs would never have happened.

Senor Tron posted:

I never saw it as distant past so much as their still being echos of the Daleks and Time Lords scattered across the universe.

In the Time War it was chaos, total war with the close to godlike powers of Gallifrey and a fully grown Dalek Empire. When the Time Lock was put in place it was the time travel equivalent of a nuclear strike, and removed the Daleks and Time Lords from all of existence. The universe pulled together and the gaps were smoother over, all direct signs of them gone. However their shadows remained. Signs of things the Time Lords and Daleks had done still existing, but no matter how hard you looked, or how much you travelled back in time you would never be able to encounter the cause that resulted in those effects.

This has always been what I've thought, and it was bolstered on screen in Father's Day when the Doctor said the Reapers were the universe's way of self correcting time travel issues since the Time Lords weren't around. Since they were always everywhere by virtue of their time travel ability, it wouldn't be a case of "they existed from say 1.5 to 1.4 billion years ago and now they are gone so they can't do anything." As long as they ever existed they would always be everywhen.

Therefore Old Timeline=Time Lords. New Timeline=Reapers. The ultimate goal of any Time War is to stop your enemy from ever existing, and the Doctor ensured BOTH sides never did with The Moment. I'm hoping this will be cleared up in this episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

But this isn't the only way that problem has come up. Eccleston talked about being able to sense that there were no Time Lords left in existence. Yet just a few years from them a whole planet of them shows back up for at least a bit, not to mention the Master spent a few years of his own time dicking around the Utopia ship with Lucy Saxon and his robot sphere friends. And that's even taking into account that the Master was somehow able to jam his Time Lord essence during his time on Earth by using the cell phone network, which always seemed pretty dumb to me.

On the other hand, if the Time Lords did exist and then the planet got locked away, the Doctor should be able to sense thousands of other Time Lords from before the war zipping around in TARDISes, observing the Universe, various versions of The Rani, The Master, Drax, etc.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Captain Fargle posted:

Especially since Skaro got blown up way the hell back before the Time War escalated.

It got better. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

Tom Baker claims he's in the 50th:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-sagers/exclusive-tom-baker-to-ap_b_4295773.html

Of course it's Tom though, so he could just be loving with us.

quote:

"I am in the special," said Baker. "I'm not supposed to tell you that, but I tell you that very willingly and specifically; the BBC told me not to tell anybody but I'm telling you straightaway."
:allears:

I'm putting money down that it's the "hall of statues/paintings" rumor which has been going on for months now. It was largely dismissed til we saw the shot of them going into a hall of covered statues in the trailer.

So once again Tom will be played by a waxwork dummy! :haw:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Nah, they're recycling the Shada footage again. The technicians he mentions are the video technicians that cropped the footage for widescreen and did the HD conversion.

Shada has had more incarnations than The Doctor at this point...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blasphemeral posted:

... "Arcadia"?

It's good, but it's no Power Station that's for sure.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dirt posted:

So I have been dipping into Classic Who recently, and I have a question:

I watched "The Five Doctors". Was kinda weird. What was the deal with Tom Baker not really being in it? Like he was "in the movie" but had no speaking parts.

Also I have a question about Rassilon: I take it he is like some super powerful Time Lord wizard kind of character, The Founder of Time Lord society, etc. But he was "dead" in the Five Doctors. Any info on how he popped back up, and was apparently President of the Time Lords again, in "The End of Time"? I caught that again the other night, and it didn't really explain much I guess. How did Rassilon manage to throw that diamond out of the time lock to earth? They never did clarify that did they? Timey Wimey plot hole stuff I guess?

I also watched the Caves of Androzani last night. I think I like Peter Davison a lot.

T Bakes was on the outs with the Who people at the time, and like Eccleston recently, declined to be a part of the special. There were several reasons I've heard, I can't recall which were debunked:

1) He didn't want to be typecast
2) He read the script and didn't like it
3) He didn't feel it was right to return and overshadow Peter Davison

So they scrambled to get a fix and they used footage from an unaired serial, Shada and "put him in a box" for the whole special. Incidentally, they did a photo shoot with all the Doctors and had a wax dummy stand in for Tom, which is where the wax dummy jokes you might see ITT come from.

It was never explained how Rassilon returned, much like much of the Time War is unexplained. We're led to believe that in their hour of need, he either chose to come back from his immortal sleep in the Dark Tower, or they asked him nicely, and they made him President again. Remember he specifically is revealed not to be dead in Five Doctors, but immortal--the only Time Lord to have that ability. Though apparently he can choose to regenerate, as he regenerates into Timothy Dalton. Of course if you take the Big Finish audios as canon-as you should, Rassilon already came back and regenerated into another guy in between and did some stuff too.

The diamond is just Rassilon being Rassilon. He's more powerful, older, and more intelligent then all the other Time Lords put together, so if anyone could break the time lock it's him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It would have been great if they'd had the courage to show Night of the Doctor on tv.

One thing that shocks the hell out of me is how well they've been able to keep a lid on the plot. Normally I'd have to bail on the spoiler thread days before because all the details would be out. We don't know substantially any more then we did months ago, and a lot of that is based on leaked set filming pics.

Good job on this one Moffat!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mortanis posted:

Or accidentally stumbling across Ten and Eleven mid-adventure and quietly sneaking back out. Subdued and simple. No pomp and circumstance.

We hear a TARDIS in the background but 10 and 11 are arguing/fawning over each other too loudly for them to notice. 9 walks into the background, sees the two of them, mouths "NOPE!" and gets back into his TARDIS and leaves.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is what we're reduced to when we have no spoilers a few hours before the show, eh?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Pessimist (realist?) BoB tells me it's probably just a neat little visual reference in an establishing shot that won't lead to anything more substantial. Ideally, for me, we'd see both William Russell and Carole Ann Ford as Ian and Susan in this, even if it was just for a scene each that doesn't really matter to the overall plot. It'd be fanwanky, but there's no harm in getting a bit fanwanky in the celebration of fifty years of the show, especially when fanwanky means revisiting the two remaining member of the original core cast.

I know it would never happen, but it would be amazing if the Doctor went back to Coal Hill because he was having some sort of a problem and calling upon one of his oldest companions to help him sort it out. Maybe even thanking Ian for helping him discover his "humanity." Certainly the way he goes back through the years to the Brig, Captain Jack, River, the Paternoster Gang, etc the first companions deserve the same treatment.

If there was ever a time for that...

I'm still amazed that we're about 2.5 hours out and still know nothing more. gently caress, if Moffat's finally found a way to stop spoilers this is gonna be a dull thread between now and Christmas! :D

Not that I mind though, personally I'd not want to know more than what I know. Like a few others ITT, I have my limits with spoilers. I'll go so far and then no more.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My money is the paintings are just quick cameos. "Oh look, it's my past selves in paintings, saying a line or a catchphrase! I must be in trouble!"

Or all his past selves will be trapped in paintings except for 10 and the War Doctor.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Asema posted:

What happened with the humans and the zygons and if they ever came to a peace treaty because oh my god there was 5 seconds left before London explodes.

I assume Earth is now home to Silurans, Humans, and Zygons.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

I remember reading (possibly in this thread) that he had a falling out with Moffat because he thought the script for the 50th special was crappy, that sounded depressingly likely at the time but since the special seems to have turned out quite well I'm not so sure now.

It's a good thing Moffat's method of writing out his action figure plays works so well then!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McDragon posted:

So have they finally managed to put a lid on the spoiler pot? Keeping 13 loving Doctors under wraps is impressive. They just have to gag Tom Baker next time. :v:

It was still a shock even after what Baker said, because there had been a rumor the Doctors had recorded new lines, perhaps as some sort of living paintings in the Gallery. Even when the living paintings turned out to not be the Doctors, when I saw the 12 on the viewscreens I figured the old ones and 9 were clips, and the living ones recorded these lines. So I was completely bowled over when Tom showed up.

Plus, nobody would imagine Moffat would have the guts to have an old, fully aged non CGI Doctor show up and recycle the excuse he used in the 5/10 minisode. Having Baker be the 25th Doctor or whatever in retirement, reusing an old body was brilliant.

To get nerdy, having the idea that the Doctor will get a new set of regenerations actually brings back into canon the character of Muldwych from the NAs, who was implied to be a future Doctor (and the incarnation that would be known as Merlin, whose handiwork the 7th Doctor ran into in Battlefield).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

Yeah saying he has aged the best is just crazy talk. Tom looks ancient, because he is.

Not sure why we are discussing this in the spoiler thread.

At this point I'm barely sure why we even have a spoiler thread, since about all we know about the next episode is what we saw in an 11 second teaser trailer that the squares in the main thread didn't. :v:

Moffat's putting us out of business.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DirtyRobot posted:

Capaldi as the beginning of a new cycle or something is a bit weird since he was one of the 13 or whatever in the 50th :confused:

Yeah, I don't get how we saw the 13 Doctors but now one is supposed to be extra? I like that idea for a story but it would have worked better if Capaldi hadn't been in Day of the Doctor.

notsowelp posted:

No we didn't.

:ughh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

Here's a supposed spoiler breakdown of the Christmas Special via Gallifrey Base. If true, it's obviously missing a lot of context for some things, like the Silence apparently being good guys in the whole matter and the cracks of time appearing:

Christmas Town

Haha are you kidding? The Doctor becomes a toymaker in Christmas Town? Is this "Doctor Who meets Rankin-Bass?"

I don't believe this for a minute. The idea that basically NONE of the spoilers about Day of the Doctor were correct besides things inferred from set pics of QE1, Zygons, and the National Gallery, but somehow GB has got a detailed plot breakdown of the very next episode is laughable.

Also again, I get that having Smith die at Trenzalore where his grave is seems apt, but he literally knows his next self was there in a TARDIS when they ducked Gallifrey out of time. Why would he be so "oh, woe is me, I'm slowly dying over 900 years cause I can't regenerate, Clara!"?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

New Leaf posted:

That kind of sucks for his character. He's coming off this massive victory and he's just going to get ganked immediately afterwards.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ha, oh God, the spoilers were true? That sounds dire!

So where was this leaker with the 50th?

And Handles...if he keeps a Cyberman head as a pet...does that mean there's still an...organic head inside? Eww.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

[quote="Astroman" post="11/14"]
Moffat, by adding a new Doctor in is making the story of the new regeneration cycle sooner then later, possibly wanting to address it during his tenure. It's quite possible that the Metacrises DID burn up a regeneration, in which case 11 is on the last body. This actually fits as the TARDIS Tomb looks like 11's and it's hinted that he is 11 when he dies there--there are no further Doctor's in his grave/headspace.

So it could be that Moffat is tackling the regeneration issue in the Christmas special itself, and Capaldi isn't the Last Doctor of his first cycle, but a First Doctor of another 12 (or infinite) regenerations.

Personally I think that storyline deserves at least a season, but it is appropriate to do in the 50th year--give the character a new lease on life, get rid of all the baggage of the The Time War, getting older, closer to death, etc. Capaldi's Doctor could be the most non-brooding, happy go lucky one we've seen in years.
[/quote]

:smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

That's an awful lot of wrinkles on his face for a guy in his late 20's/early30's. Did they morph parts of Capaldi's face onto him or something? Because otherwise that just looks really weird.

When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mortanis posted:

That's been the focus of the last two seasons of Smith's run. Retroactively, we now know that Smith's Doctor has known that he is at the end of his entire life - not just the end of his regeneration with a new one waiting for him. Running from Lake Silencio in S6 and Trenzalore in S7 have a different twist if it's not just Smith hiding from the end of "his" run as the Doctor, but his entire life, if he knows that showing up at either event is the absolute end of everything for him. 2/3rds of Smith's run is about the inevitability of his demise.

This also puts the last part of End of Time in a hugely different light that will hopefully shut up the haters. The Doctor had every right to drag it out and say "I don't want to go" if he knew it was the last time he'd ever regenerate.

On the other hand, he basically met the 48th Doctor or whatever as The Curator, so even if he didn't spot a 13th TARDIS wheeling around Gallifrey the other day, I find it hard to believe he'd be so worried.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, but even if 10 forgot saving Gallifrey, he'd still remember he was The War Doctor, and that he blew a regeneration to stay the same (actually I guess he didn't blow a regeneration--there were two 10th Doctors).

So when he was dying after saving Wilf, he knew this was the last ever time he could regenerate. For all he knew, the Valeyard would pop out, hit him on the head, and steal his TARDIS.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So it would seem they have a costume. :dance:

Looks like a fairly modern cut suit.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Actually, the more I look at it, the more it looks like something a gameshow presenter would wear.

Hopefully it works better in motion/with whatever eccentricities are included on the front.

I noticed the pants were a little flared.

What if it's a 70s style Ron Burgandy suit? :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WE WILL EX-TER-MIN-ATE SAN-TA! CHRIST-MAS IS CAN-CELLED!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

twoot posted:

According to someone on another forum, who got it from yet another forum, the previously posted spoilers is a 100% accurate plot description and its caused a minor shitstorm involving internal BBC memos, several set people being fired, and future series are to be filmed in complete lockdown.

Anyone know anything about this?

It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. It shocked me that pretty much NOTHING besides a few set pics was leaked from Day of the Doctor and all the "spoilers" were wildly wrong, and then the very next episode we got a blow by blow, apparently 100% accurate synopsis.

It kind of took my by surprise, since my usual "spoiler mode" with finales and big episodes is "stay in spoiler thread til as late as possible when the full details come out." This came so soon and was so full it's probably more than I would have wanted to know. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Republican Vampire posted:

So, according to the Daily Star the 'ghost' of a 'huge favourite' appears to Eleven in the TARDIS just before he regenerates.

So it's probably River, but it might also be Amy. I'm kinda hoping for Idris, but that's pretty unlikely considering that she didn't crop up in one of Moff's episodes.

Hmm...who would possibly appear between the 12th and Final incarnation of the Doctor...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gup posted:

Well, here we go!

I like it!

Every time I see this pic I get so unreasonably ecstatic over Capaldi as the Doctor. This is gonna be great! :allears:

I also love it when a new Doctor runs around in his predecessor's costume. It's so weird but cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My perfect schedule would be 11-13 uninterrupted episodes in the spring, followed by a Christmas special to give you something in the rest of the year. And at least ONE 2 parter.

DirtyRobot posted:

Look, showrunners, do this, have a few more appearances with David Bradley as the first doctor, a few appearances with Tom Baker dropping non-sensical-yet-enigmatic hints, and your show will achieve perfection. Perfection.

Moffat, Capaldi, and Gatiss just go all in and make the fanwankiest show they can ever make. :allears:

I'd be in anyway.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I like the concept with the Paternoster Gang, faux-Erinem, and Riddell as well as the hundreds of years between episodes that Moffat is going out of his way to set up long swaths of time for tons of future 11th Doctor novels and audios with companions we haven't seen. It seem almost canon now that the 9th and 10th Doctors had very short lives without much wiggle room for other adventures (except I hope beyond hope that one day we'll get 3 seasons of BF audios with 9, Jack and Rose between The Doctor Dances and Boom Town :allears: ). It's good that Moffat is allowing for a greater expanded universe.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

It's probably for the best you don't remember to be honest.

"I won't remember any of this, will I?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm not gonna get too hung up on the new costume in any way because the way things have been with the last 2 Doctors (especially 11) the costumes are more thematic then hard and fast "they always wear these clothes." 10 did the McCoy thing of wearing different color suits with a similar cut, and 11 went a step further and had radically different costumes, all of a similar "look" that complimented his body.

Extrapolating from what we're seeing in that promo pic, I'd say Capaldi will wear stuff that is modern, tight fitting, but still long without being that flying cape-like "hero" coat of the Jack/10 style. A 21st century version of 11's Victorian styled stuff it would seem.

Edit: More fuel for the Pertwee theories:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Republican Vampire posted:

Apparently she's playing a banker who dresses and presumably behaves similarly to Madame Kovarian and Miss Kizlet for reasons that have nothing to do with Moffat having something against powerful women.

Or he's got a thing for them :quagmire:

McGann posted:

I would LOVE this. John Hurt has what I imagine could be a great voice for audio, assuming he can adjust to the format. Another way to go about it would use him for narration, and the majority of the story be a flashback with a "younger" John Hurt substitute for the War Doctor. Would cut down on the paycheck too, which I'd imagine would be another road block to getting him on audio.

I'd almost say I'd be more excited for War Doctor audios then I would be for potential 10 or 11 audios. They would be instant buy for me.

• Locked thread