Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder if they are going to actually completely redo Spare Parts again, but more faithfully to the original?

I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, it was a great story which deserves to be told on screen. On the other hand, it would decanonize one of the best Big Finish and Fifth Doctor stories, and goes against Moffat's general policy that Big Finish is canon. They already did this with Human Nature, but the New Adventures books have firmly moved into non-canon status; BF not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

Let the Paternoster gang jump over to Big Finish where they rightfully belong. We got Jago & Litefoot & Strax....give me Vastra & Jenny & Quick next.

Jago & Litefoot & Strax & Vastra & Jenny & Quick & Ellie & Captain Jack

:swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

If we can count John Hurt as a Real Doctor, we can give Jack Full Companion status. He's still very important from our early 21st Century viewpoint for representation, regardless of where/when he's from.

Jack is a Full Companion because he's awesome, and was robbed of our time together on the show. :colbert:

I just hope the regeneration isn't like the last couple. I liked them, but they are trying to top themselves with how long and drawn out they can be. I liked 10's, as maudlin as it was, and having 11 come back young for a minute and do The Phone Call was awesome and timey wimey, but you can't keep doing it bigger and better and longer. It'd be much better if it was more like the old ones this time.

Also, it occurs to me they haven't done the "NO SIR, ALL THIRTEEN! scene yet, and we should be seeing a payoff about that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Ben Whishaw and Ben Daniels both got a lot of attention the last couple of times, fwiw.

Obviously, they've had English Doctors and Scottish Doctors. I don't think there's been a Welsh Doctor yet, but there was a Welsh showrunner for a good few years. Obviously, to compensate, the next Doctor will be Jamie Dornan. :v:

Ben Daniels would be great, and he was one that was rumored one of the last times I really wanted. But he's 52 so he wouldn't fit the "young sexy" mold they want.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Moffat is doing a Multi-Master episode? Just when you thought he'd run out of boxes to tick off! :allears:

Very stoked about this. Simm alone coming back to play off Gomez will be fantastic!! If we get more, that'll be even better. I don't have a huge issue with the CGI stuff or other actors. Jacobi would be easy, Roberts not so much but he wasn't a Gallifreyan body so I could live without it (sorry CGI Snake :( ). Technically Beevers/Pratt is often said to be a degenerated form of Delgado, so while seeing Delgado at the height of his suaveness would be aces, either of them could stand in. If they aren't supposed to be him, they can have Pratt and/or Beevers show up sans makeup as a totally different, previously unseen pre decayed Master. So that just leaves CGI Ainley.

Will also chime in to say I'd love to see MacQueen show up, both as a further canonization of Big Finish, but also because I just finally got around to Dark Eyes II and I finally see what ya'll have been talking about when you say how great he is. To be honest, I could hear enough of Delgado in his performance that if they'd wanted to have him Treloar it up as Delgado I'd have totally bought it. I haven't heard much of him but he's one of the greats IMO.

Dabir posted:

Obviously they're going to bring back Peter Cushing.

As the Master.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gorn Myson posted:

If Moffat repeats that moment with a full line up of Masters after some big triumphant moment which ends on a cliffhanger I think I would be able to forgive at least some of his sins.

Hopefully the entire episode will be a Day of the Master multi-Master episode where they team up and are the protagonists and the Doctor is barely in it. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

"No sir, all thirteen!"

*HISSSSS*

I now want this more than Mondasian Cybermen :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. The Cybermen aren't really a big deal in the episode itself. Much like DiH and DW.

Very disappointed. Hopefully Chibnall will immediately correct the need Moffat has to throw everything and the kitchen sink into finales. RTD got that way as well, IIRC.

Either Multi-Master OR Mondasian Cybermen are alone enough to hang a 2 parter finale on!!!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pgroce posted:

I hope Big Finish is ready to record Peter Capaldi in the adventure of Doctor Who and the Cockney Nazis.

Meanwhile, at Nick Briggs'...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

No Lucy this time, so he has to make do with his own beard.

With Missy, he can be his own beard!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What if John Simm is the 13th Doctor?

:aaaaa:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HERAK posted:

That's what i hope. Certainly would be much more interesting.

I posted that as a joke, but it could actually work. John Simm is a young but not too young, charismatic handsome actor who has been the lead in several shows and usually plays a very good guy with aplomb. He's beloved by fans. The fakeout would be they tease the 13th Doctor as coming in the Christmas special, but of course rumors are it happens in the Season finale in the spring. So what actually could happen is it appears that the Simm Master has returned to team up with Missy and at least one more previous Master. They take out the Doctor and he regenerates---but the twist is the Simm Master we saw was the 13th Doctor all along, and he betrays Team Master in the end to save himself. They might even go as far as have Kris Marshall as a fake Jackson Lake style new Doctor, or even a quick one and done 13th Doctor who will regenerate again into Simm, who will the be the 14th Doctor going forward. Easy to do, with a whole new regeneration cycle and ability to add more beyond that.

The one argument against that though is while Simm is apparently willing to come back and reprise the role of The Master now and again, he is really turned off by the rabid fandom and I can't see him taking a 3 year/lifetime commitment to that role:
http://news.sky.com/story/doctor-whos-john-simm-denies-fans-slur-10444582

quote:

He was quoted in the Radio Times as saying: "I do get a lot of Doctor Who. God almighty, I'll be so happy when that's gone from my life. They're lovely, I'm sure, but I won't miss it."

As part of the interview, which Sky News understands was recorded in full on tape, he added: "It's great to be into something, but for goodness' sake, really? I'm not The Master, I'm not that evil Time Lord who rules the galaxy, I'm just in Tesco with my kids. Leave me alone!"

He denied saying it/said it was taken out of context but still not the words of a guy who'd want to be known as The Doctor for the rest of his life. He seems like more an Eccleston type, who would not want one role to define him as an actor. Which quite frankly, I don't think we need in Doctor Who. I'm not saying fans have to own the actors, but there is certainly a different commitment when you take on an iconic role like The Doctor, James Bond, a Star Trek character, etc--it's a lifetime thing and you may or may not be able to move on from it as an actor and be known for other stuff. It's not always that way, as guys like Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula have done plenty of big roles they are equally known for before and since, but it's also not a job you want to take on lightly.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I personally was very excited to hear the rumor and hope it's true. I've wanted Bradley to do some First Doctor stuff on tv or audio since the anniversary special. Once again, Moffat is ticking another box for me! :dance:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I for one am wondering what Moffat will pull out as a surprise for his final episode? I mean we know we're getting Mondasian Cybermen and John Simm Master. But we also knew we were getting War and 10 and the CGI other Doctors in the Anniversary Specials. But there was some poo poo NOBODY saw coming, like McGann coming back for the short, and the gobsmacker of The Curator. We had watched all that awesome multidoc action and we thought "well that was great there's no topping that and it's the end of the episOMG IT'S TOM loving BAKER HOLY poo poo WHY AM I CRYING RIGHT NOW".

Now you know Moffat is saving some ace up his sleeve that nobody has leaked. Will it be more Masters as rumored, perhaps CGI Delgado or Ainley? Beevers or Pratt in updated makeup? Derek Jacobi? Or something even more off the wall? He's got to go balls out for his and Capaldi's last episode for sure.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

I don't get it.

As RTD and Tennant did it, it was just kinda maudlin. As far as we (and they) knew, there were still several other Doctors ahead. Moffat did the trickery with War and the Double 10 which meant that 11 was the final Doctor. By virtue of retcon, 10's farewell tour was him saying goodbye because as far as he knew, he'd be regenerating for the last time, possibly into the Valeyard.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Casting the next two Doctors at once in his last episode is the most Moffat thing ever.

He had a huge bucket list of things he wanted to do as showrunner, and even moved up the end of the Regeneration Cycle via retcon to ensure he was the guy who would handle that. While the idea that the BBC (and an actor) would commit to a 14th Doctor in 3 years option, it's not entirely a shocking idea knowing Moffat.

One possibility is that the 14th Doctor will be the real next Doctor, and the 13th will be short lived, appearing in just a couple episodes with a bit of offscreen stuff implied for future possible BF adventures.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Haha I just thougt of something else:

The showrunner who cast the most Doctors was John Nathan-Turner, who took over during T Bakes era, and cast Davison, C Bakes, and Sly.

Moffat was on track to only cast Smith, but when Smith decided to leave he cast Capaldi. Then due to Eccleston bailing out (possibly due to his dislike of Moffat), he got to cast War.

Now ostenibly, Chibnall is casting the new Doctor. But if Moffat throws a fakeout one-off 13th Doctor in there who dies in the same episode, he will have solidfied his title as Bestest Showrunner Ever because he got to cast 4 Doctors as well as run the 50th, come up with an idea for a new regeneration cycle, did a Multi Doc episode, did an Every Doc episode, multi Master, Daleks, Cybermen, Mondasian Cybermen, MtF Time Lord regeneration as canon (something bandied about since the 80s), show the 1st Doctor leaving Gallifrey, brought back Gallifrey, etc etc.

He is making drat sure nobody can touch his legacy by doing every Big Thing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I could definitely see this being possible, and would allow a fun celebrity casting for the 13th Doctor (similar to John Hurt). Someone who wants to play the Doctor, but isn't going to commit to a full season. One or two episodes, then boom, Hugh Laurie is dead, 14th Doctor's a-comin'.

Hmm...

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1668039/the-big-actor-that-doctor-who-has-twice-tried-to-cast-as-the-doctor

As to a one and done 13th being The Valeyard, I could see that, if only because Moffat is a continuity nerd enough to go there, would want to be the one to address it (and it's pretty much the last chance numerically to do so), and he already namechecked The Valeyard on screen.

Michael Jayston is still alive, how's his health? Does he still act?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

Capaldi regenerates into the Valeyard who fucks around for a bit before the next Doctor shows up with a Capaldi from the past who they defeat together, then the new Doctor mind wipes Capaldi and the Valeyard regenerates into himself

John Simm's Master, Missy, and Derek Jacobi's Master team up to defeat The Valeyard after Capaldi regenerates into him. Surprise appearance on video screen by CGI Ainley Master because after all, "a cosmos without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about."

:boom:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Handles was the longest serving companion in Doctor Who history. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-20/first-look-at-john-simms-master-in-his-new-doctor-who-costume

About time we get back to a proper Master costume! :getin:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some bad news: they have shots as well of modern Cybermen as well as the Cybus ones, so between that, 2 Masters, and Blue Guys on a 400 Mile Long Ship Orbiting A Black Hole we can expect the Mondasian Cybermen to get short shrift. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

I think the goatee represents post End of Time Master.

Or at least since he got rid of the wife...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This shows how more than ever we need Big Finish's Rocket Men brought to the screen. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So stoked that Bradley is coming back for this!

It seemed like a no brainer, but one of those things that might not have happened, that they wouldn't have been able to get together.

Now, let's get him in for some Big Finish!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely the voice, I think. It's always been kind of funny to me that Hurndall sounds so much like someone trying to say Hartnell with a mouth full of something.

THE DOCTOR WHO PRODUCTION OFFICES, 1983:

John Nathan-Turner: "We could get...I dunno, who's that guy? The kinda knock-off William Hartnell?"

"Richard Hurndall?"

JNT: "Exactly! Yes! Get him!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah sorry, I'm just not seeing this as a bad or sidelined Mondasian Cyberman episode. The existential horror of Bill was some of the deepest examination of cyberconversion to date. They were a clear and present threat, and even though they upgraded they kept the old ones til the end.

jivjov posted:

I wonder if Big Finish will ever try to bring Bradley in as the 1st Doctor, or if they'll keep on with the impressions of Purves and Russel and all.

There's at least precedent with Treloar as 3.

Edit: also I find it interesting the Big Finish just recently put out a story dealing with the 1st Doctor's reluctance to regenerate in the second 1st Doctor Companion Chronicle set

I am all for this, though Purves impression is pretty good and I have no issue with him stlll doing it. Russell's is OK, but I think some Bradley eps would be better.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It would have been cool if they did takes of all her scenes with the Cyberman stand in and the singsong voice, and then released them as clips or had an alternate cut on the DVD where you could watch the episode like that though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Actually the one argument in the favor of Literally Tennant 2.0 is that Chibnall has spent the last few years working closely with him. :tinfoil:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My only problem with Olivia Colman is I've only ever seen her in Broadchurch playing Serious and Sad. Can she do whimsical and funny? I'm not saying we need another Tennant or Smith "Madman With A Box" per se, but I do feel she'd tack a lot close to Capaldi's vibe.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I have no doubt she can "do" comedy--certainly so could Peter Capaldi. But it's comedy of a type--dry, serious, etc. I just don't see that there would be a dramatic tonal difference between her Doctor and his, if that's what they're going for.

It'd be a lot like going from 10 to 11, but the other side of the coin.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Riptor posted:

It really is incredible how horrendous that first promo picture of Matt Smith was given how incredible he ended up being

Yeah, after my very public wrong call ITT (well in a previous one) about that, I will keep an open mind til I see the new Doctor on film.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Would have rather seen Sean Pertwee.

I'm conflicted about this. I have no problem with Bradley, but if you're just gonna get a bunch of people doing imitations of the old actor rapidfire, it will be jarring.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe they can get Davison in to express deep concern over how many young men are losing a role model when the Doctor regenerates.

Past Doctors' faces whirling around the floor with Davison saying "YOU MUST NOT DIE! DOCTOR! DON'T DIE DOCTOR! MUAHAHAHA!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That's Polly at :17 isn't it? :swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Not really, no. Big Finish does full audio dramas, but they also do audio stories that are prose as read by single companions, who typically do voices for the rest of the characters. It sounds like hair-splitting, I know, and with Big Finish it sort of is, because they add sound effects and sometimes have multiple readers, but it is a bit different. More like an audio book and less like a radio play.

The straight up recast the Third Doctor and Ben though in full cast audios...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Frazer is, and so is Peter Purves with One (and pretty much William Russell on his audios, and he can often pull off a more convincing One than he can Young Chatterton).

However I did not know about

Box of Bunnies posted:

they have the woman that played Jacqueline Hill in the anniversary docudrama playing Barbara in later Early Adventures releases too

..which means you get her and William Russell and Carol Ann Ford or Maureen O'Brien and it's p much a straight up full cast audio. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

No War, No 12, not canon.

:colbert:

• Locked thread