Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twoot posted:

The Doctor's Wife used the actual 9/10 controlroom set. They left it intact for two extra years for that purpose.

I thought the entire thing had been moved to the DW Experience by then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mortanis posted:

Pretty sure that Confidential mentioned it was sent over almost immediately after that, and that it had been on set still since the end of Tennant's run because they'd had an idea for revisiting it.

That seems kind of odd that they'd keep it around so long. Any word on Smith's old set?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Diabolik900 posted:

It makes more sense that they kept the set around if you remember that The Doctor's Wife was originally supposed to be part of series 5.

I guess that does make sense!

So, TARDIS chat:

Am I the only one hoping the classic set they built sticks around and is used at least once?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

I seem to be part of the minority, but I really don't see what part the Zygons have in modern Doctor Who at all, and certainly in the anniversary.

I'm personally hoping they're there for ten seconds as an adventure that's finishing or getting interrupted.

Zygons are shape-shifting jerks who want to gently caress up Earth. That's better than most New Who villains right there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah but look at how silly looking they are, like even more silly looking than Daleks

You want the Slitheen back or something? Or that drat hing with all the faces on it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Forktoss posted:

Oh come now, let Zygons be Zygons

thank you

thank you very much

:golfclap:

That was pretty good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My friends and I were discussing that possibility recently, the last time we saw them they ran away, we saw John Hurt and then TO BE CONTINUED. We never actually see them escape.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who wouldn't want to strangle Peri if she was the first thing your brand new eyes and ears were exposed to?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone notice Hurt's using a different control console? Looks like a newer version of 9's...

Here's a screencap!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 9, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plotac 75 posted:

As if to rub the no-Eccleston salt in the wound, today's facebook announcement from Dr. Who was this:

God drat it. Those jerks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe the Sisterhood's coctail has a time release formula and Hurt DE AGES into Nine?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

It preserves his character a bit as being the optimistic one that sees the best in everyone and is ever hopeful and out for adventure.

This is the very best outcome for Eight. He got to go out on top, untarnished and we got shout outs to his BF adventures. Moffat gets a gold star for this one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qntm posted:

It's weird how the necessities of the real world sometimes cause a story to write itself. In retrospect it's almost head-slappingly obvious. Nine can't have fought in the war. For it to be Eight could stain that Doctor's character unnecessarily. Solution: a secret regeneration?! Totally elegant, and at the same time, storytelling dynamite.

We've known since like 15 minutes into the new series that Nine didn't fight in the war, he sees himself for the first time in the mirror in Rose's apartment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That elixir he drank might have restarted his regeneration cycle and he doesn't even know it yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, at this point the only thing left on my 50th anniversary wishlist is some manner of regeneration that ends in Eccleston. I don't care if its Hurt -> Eccleston or some kind of wibbly wobbly thing where they replay Night of the Doctor except with McGann making a different choice and regenerating McGann -> Eccleston, but I just want to be able to visually witness an unbroken string of regenerations (Not counting the dubiousness of the Troughton -> Pertwee one).

Same here. If Chris shows up this weekend I might actually cry a little bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qntm posted:

Ohhhhh, I bet that's why John Hurt is barely shown in that minisode. Because then you can show both John Hurt and Christopher Ecclestone to the same extent. You see some hands, a body double, a blurry face reflected in armour, a different phrase... and in both cases you need hardly any cooperation from the actors other than a grudging nod.

Oh wow, the War Doctor becomes an invalid incarnation and the Ninth is a do-over because of events of the Time War. Holy crap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lots of people remember the Time War besides the Doctor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

2house2fly posted:

haha, I'd forgotten that one of the Eccleston episodes established that the consequences of causing a temporal paradox is that giant bloodthirsty demons swoop out of the sky and eat everyone. Never change, doctor Who.

I assumed the Paradox Machine kept those monsters locked out of the continuum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have we even gotten a slight clue as to how the Doctor ended the War?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

This is what we're reduced to when we have no spoilers a few hours before the show, eh?

CARROT Juice????

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's also getting lots of offers in Hollywood. I've read that he's spending more time in LA than back home these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

New Leaf posted:

Isn't Smith supposed to kick the bucket in this year's Christmas special? Or does he have another season in him? Wasn't sure what the timeline was.

This will be his final regular appearance as the Doctor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

And has been writing it, over and over again, ever since.

If it meant Jonathan Price as the Master I would never complain again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Four was judo-chopping bricks and it was awesome.

Six tried to kill Peri.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna cry like a goddamned baby when Matt leaves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoops, wrong DW thread...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I heard it from a guy that you're 100% correct that this rumour exists

Like, for reals and junk?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

There was a drat empty seat next to me! I spent ages scoring tickets for this too.

Maybe the empty seat was supposed to be for some poor chaps wife but she died before the show, did you ever think of that? And he went alone to honor her memory because that's how it's done.

Nah, just kidding. Some loser probably just couldn't find a date.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Power of the Daleks and Tenth Planet, come on, come on...

It's 10,000 copies of the same episode of Top of the Pops.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HopperUK posted:

It's possible I would kill an actual puppy for a chance to see The Highlanders.

I'd kill and eat a baby for Power of the Daleks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thexerox123 posted:

I guess it's a good thing there isn't some sick, maniacal film archivist out there hoarding Doctor Who episodes unless fans do horrible things.

To be fair, I did not say what kind of baby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

He does yeah.

However, I really don't know why people still use series in that sense. Season makes way more loving sense.

Yes well, Brits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm a Brit.

So you know what I'm talking about!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone else love Capaldi that much more because he never takes off his wedding ring?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm hoping the sweater is a vest. He's gonna look awesome with the jacket off and his sleeves rolled up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

2house2fly posted:

I really liked in the first Eccleston episode when someone referred to him as the doctor and someone (I think Mickey?) said "doctor what?"

I think the first "doctor who?" was in the first Moffat episode, now that I think about it.

Jackie says it in the first Christmas special.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Republican Vampire posted:

In other news, Clara may well now have a personality. In an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, Moffat played up that Clara is "clever, sceptical, hard-to-impress". Moffat implied in the interview that he's interested in exploring how this affects her dynamic with the TARDIS, which won't be boring and redundant after The Doctor's Wife at all. Also the episode in which Twelve wears the Warehouse or Lab coat is called Kill The Moon. Ben Miller is playing the Villain in a sci-fi take on Robin Hood called The Robots of Sherwood written by Mark Gatiss. Gatiss has poo poo'd the idea that the time lords will return because apparently making them into lame-o-zoid Oxbridge House of Lords dweebs is somehow less interesting than treating them as generic super powerful god-like aliens.

Ben Miller is loving awesome, can't wait for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Robots and Robin Hood sounds like it could be a lot of fun, you bunch of party poopers.

Didn't we already have that back in the Pertwee era?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Much like the dapper red lining, it was time for it to make a comeback.

Man, the Time Warrior was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fungah! posted:

Robots and Robin Hood, sure, that could be fun, but if they're the clockwork robots instead of like anything else that'll stick in my craw a bit

Wouldn't that make sense for the time period?

• Locked thread