Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Astroman posted:

Oh hey, Spoiler Thread, wazzup? :cool:

Pretty much. The idea is that Smith is the 11th one of this being to hold the title/name of "Doctor," but the 12th incarnation. One of them isn't considered "The/A Doctor" by his successors.

This changes nothing then, about 9's guilt or the things 9/10 said about "I made it happen" and "I was there."

One correction though: :eng101: the Valeyard was either the 13th Doctor or an incarnation between the Doctor's 12th and final incarnation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EznNXZqWFXA
So Smith would next regenerate into The Valeyard. The "between" stuff was always a little vague, and it seemed like The Valeyard would be some other odd being like The Watcher or The Dream Lord, an idea made manifest. However this concept that there can be incarnations not known as "The Doctor" as well as the fact that the Great Intelligence said The Valeyard was a name by which The Doctor would someday be known suggests different. I'd say at this point it's very straightforward that when Smith regenerates he will regenerate into a darker being. He might still call himself The Doctor at first. But he'll still be doing the morally ambiguous stuff we've seen over the past 2 regenerations and eventually start doing horrible things to justify the ends, and come to call himself The Valeyard.

I dunno. I still hold to the classic Who idea that the Valeyard comes between the 12th and final Doctor, as a manifestation of his darker impulses. The Valeyard is inseparable from the Doctor because he is the Doctor - he's a vital component of him. All of our darker impulses are vital components of us. And further, I do believe that the inclusion of the Dream Lord may even be a hint toward how things will go when Matt regenerates. If Moffat wasn't planning this whole 'forgotten Doctor' thing back then (and I think it's really possible that he was), there's certainly the set-up for the Dream Lord to reassert it/himself during Matt's regeneration and force a physical entity that is the Valeyard. Hell, if Moffat decides to have the Valeyard as a future villain, maybe he'll get Toby Jones to play him! It'd certainly fit, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Porkchop Express posted:

Man they aren't gonna hold true to the 13 regeneration a thing, it was a throwaway line in the original story, if the ratings are still strong they will go past 13 for sure.

Oh I'm totally with you. I don't doubt for a second that the show will continue on past 13 incarnations of the Doctor - but I think the dramatic potential for the Valeyard as a villain is there, and I really think I recall the Master saying in Trial of a Time Lord that the Valeyard shows/showed up between the 12th and final regeneration of the Doctor. But, I haven't seen it in a while, so I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Bicyclops posted:

To be fair, what the Master means is "I used up all my thirteen lives and since then I've been stealing other people's bodies" as both the Anthony Ainley and Eric Robert incarnations are actually Traken/human people he hijacks, so for him it it may still be a physical body regeneration limit. He never actually regenerates after his thirteenth incarnation (until New Who); he just cheats.

Exactly. But, what we have from the Old series (including the TV Movie) indicates that the regeneration limit is imposed by the Time Lords. This would explain why the Time Lords were able to give the Master a new cycle of regenerations in exchange for his service in the Time War. The whole thing about the Master stealing bodies is that given all the horrible things the Master had done, would continue to do for as long as he could hold onto life, and how he had absolutely nothing to bargain with during the Old series, the Time Lords had every reason to not give him a damned thing regarding regenerations. But that changed when the Time War rolled along and they got desperate for experienced and - here's the kicker - ruthless soldiers.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I thought that Moffat said that the Doctor lies about his age because he's not bothering to keep track.

I think this is the best way to deal with the idea of the Doctor's age, because so many different writers have said so many different things about how old he is at so many different points throughout the series that trying to make sense of it all will just make your head hurt. But for what it's worth, back when RTD was writing the show, I worked out that in my own personal calculation the Doctor must have traveled for 200 years with Romana because he's in his 700s when Romana first meets him, but then in Trial of a Timelord he's in his 900s, and as 5 he only ever traveled with human/human-lifespan companions sooo. But that's just my own take.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
All this talk of Hurt Doctor made me think back to his line of dialogue in Name. "What I did, I did without choice, in the name of peace, and sanity." (paraphrased from memory).

What sticks out to me: 'in the name...[of] sanity.' If he is the Time War Doctor, and it looks like he is, that tells me that the later days of the Time War made no sense - they were filled with senseless and endless death, bloodshed and war happening over and over in endless temporal feints and loops back and forth across all of space and time. The kind of conflict that would drive even the most hardened warrior insane, which also brings to mind the Master, who was brought back by the Time Lords specifically because they saw a ruthless warrior such as himself being the prime candidate to fight such a war, turning and running scared out of his damned mind in his first instance of actual combat in it. It makes me really look forward to what we'll be seeing in the 50th where the Time War is concerned.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 9, 2013

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Metal Loaf posted:

Good grief. Do you reckon this could go a ways to redeeming the Time Lord stuff from "The End of Time"?

Possibly. I think we might even see the Time Lords/Gallifrey restored. I have no idea how Moffat would make it work, what with the leadership being entirely corrupt and amoral by the end of the Time War, but hey, writing his way out of problems is what he gets paid tons of money to do so

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

deadpan posted:

I'm just glad they finally ditched the TV movie's frock coat and wig and went with a variation of the more practical costume they switched to in the promos for the BF audios.

I'd actually say the minisode outfit is a variation of the TV Movie outfit, if anything. It's just that in the minisode his outfit looks really, really worn down. When I was watching, it occurred to me that he kind of looked like a tramp (can't think of a better word).

On that note, it's cool how they did that - it conveys to viewers unfamiliar with the audios that this guy has had a long string of adventures and has been around for a while.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 15, 2013

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
EDIT: Eek, forgot this was the spoiler thread. Nevermind.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
Wanna touch on The Last Day. Underwhelming, but only because of what came before. But I find it really intriguing because of what it implies about the broader Time War. Speculation: If the minisode does in fact take place on the last day of the War, that means that in the last stage of the Time War, the Daleks launch an invasion of Gallifrey. So we have the Daleks on the very cusp of victory over the Time Lords, forcing the Time Lords hand into enacting the Ultimate Sanction - evolving to a higher plane of being but system-crashing the universe in its wake. Two unstoppable objects, so to speak, hurtling toward each other.

What this implies to me is that the Doctor used the Moment because he literally had no other choice - if he hadn't, either the Daleks win and plunge the universe into an eternal and unchangeable hellworld where the living would envy the dead forever, or the Time Lords would wipe out everything. Everything converging to a single point in time where everything is screaming at the Doctor "if you're gonna do something, you gotta do it NOW"

If that's how things turn out in the 50th tomorrow it'll be bloody brilliant. At least, I think.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 23, 2013

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Chairman Capone posted:

You're right, Kennedy only helped end centuries of horrid institutional oppression of Africans. CS Lewis wrote hamfisted allegories about lion Jesus. I'm a loving idiot for thinking Kennedy did something useful with his life in comparison.

CS Lewis was a theological giant and contributed greatly to Christian theology and understandings of God within the Christian faith. He's a pretty big figure, come on dude.

Anyways, any Doctor Who stuff that we can talk about to end this dumb derail?

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

thexerox123 posted:

Yes yes, we all know he's good at writing fiction.

This isn't Reddit. Could you quit acting like it is? Would be nice.

Anyways, about what the thread is actually made for: dunno what else to say about the 50th. I have my own theory about part of it, which is on the previous page, but I'm really wondering what surprises they have in store for us. I'm still hoping for a Hurt-to-Eccleston regeneration somewhere in the special.

Oh, also! Totally forgot; remember ages ago when we saw a screenshot of Coal Hill Secondary School sign (where Ian and Barbara taught), and it said "CHAIRMAN OF THE GOVERNORS: I. CHESTERTON"? I think we might just get an Ian cameo! At least, I hope :) It'd be perfect, tying the show back to its beginnings within the show (like they already did that with the docudrama, but I mean in the show having that connection and linkage made would be great). It'd also be interesting if Smith met Ian, considering Ian never learned about regeneration. But this is getting ahead of ourselves - for all we know, the sign may be the only cameo we'll get of him in the special.

Renzian fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 23, 2013

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

bobkatt013 posted:

We did get one in Adventures in Time and Space. Also they have already made it canon that he never aged.

I like to think that was just a joke of some sort because it makes literally no sense :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It wasn't just implied, it was pretty much stated outright, what with that whole tribe of Gallifreyans who basically rejected Time Lord society and all the technology that came with it (presumably including the ability to regenerate).

There was that, too. Basically it's been pretty well documented in the show itself that being from Gallifrey doesn't automatically equal being a Time Lord.

Yeah, everything I've kind of gathered from Doctor Who mythos (TV series as well as spinoff stuff) is that Gallifrey is basically an oligarchic society, with the Time Lords being the ruling elite class. This involves Gallifreyans living under their rule, and those that reject Time Lord society (like in The Invasion of Time). One (unstated outright) example I can think of is the Chancellery Guard - you know, the security corps that Andred was part of in Invasion of Time. It seemed like it was implied that they weren't Time Lords, but rather a part of a non-Time Lord servant class.

• Locked thread