Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kevos Setzer posted:

Yes, that is what it is. I don't know why it's there, though.

Now that we know he's the final regeneration, maybe that's what he saw? Maybe when he opened that door, he saw 12 dead Doctors instead of 10, and that confirmed what he was afraid of, that he is the last one.

Just a shot in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Um...was this known and I missed it?

So are they really going to try to explain why he looks like he does?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Diabolik900 posted:

A quick Google search confirms my initial doubts that that image is real.

Oh, dammit, sorry.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I actually really enjoyed the premiere episode script, and 20 pages in I'm enjoying Into the Dalek as well. Though, I usually enjoy Moffat as show runner (I think the second half of series 7 was weak, but ended on a high note). So far they seem to be giving Clara an actual character, and in Danny Pink a love interest that, based on what very little I've read, sounds mildly interesting.

Super early impressions so far, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what I've read so far in live action.

I do like whimsy in my Doctor, though. So, you know, grain of salt and all if you don't.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 9, 2014

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rita Repulsa posted:

Robot of Sherwood, Mummy on the Orient Express, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Vampires of Venice, we need a new episode have we done "<Monster> + <Historical Event>" yet? We'll start with the title and go from there.

You have a funny definition of "historical event".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Burkion posted:

If you don't count those, they have two solo adventures with 11- Both are poo poo.

Wait, people don't like Closing Time? Huh.

A bunch of joyless mother fuckers in here.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Deep Breath was one of the most bloated and completely dull episodes in the last few years. Dalek and Sherwood were each better, but really didn't stand out for me.

Just like it too me three episodes to really get what Matt Smith was going for, it wasn't until Sherwood that I started to really get what Capaldi is going for. Specifically his group of scenes arguing with Robin in the dungeon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PantsOptional posted:

An arrogant, childish prick?

Argumentative, convinced he's right, still having fun, angrier than the previous couple Doctors, etc. Hard to put into words, I guess. Just the way he was playing it suddenly made sense.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Does Listen explain how Clara can visit the Doctor when he's a kid, considering Gallifrey is in that pocket universe now, or whatever?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going to hope there's enough wiggle room to say that Clara is visiting the Doctor when he was a kid and his parents had taken him on vacation in a TARDIS to some other planet not locked away in a pocket universe. *dusts hands and walks away*

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Stairs posted:

Except that it was the same drat shed as in "Day of the Doctor" and that was on Gallifrey.
Also I'm still angry about that special because it's clear that 11 and 12 thought 8.5 killed Gallifrey, except it was clearly established in 11's run that they were not killed, just locked away. On top of that 11 had established that he locked away Gallifrey because they were just as bad as the Daleks and then coming back was SUPER BAD to 11. So why is Gallifrey being touted as bring "saved" now, like none of that mattered and...AUGH THIS SHOW.
Lastly, just watched Listen and it's awesome.

If you use 8.5 for the war doctor, I assume you mean 10 and 11, not 11 and 12?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

HD DAD posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Didn't really get any romantic subtext from it.

Agreed, the line is fine, I didn't read any romance into it. Just competitiveness, and commenting on how awesome he and his adventures are.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wolfechu posted:

But they've already cast her replacement!

Wolfechu posted:

For comparison:

Well that's amazing.

Is she actually going to be in an episode? Or did they just do the earlier shot when she was visiting the set or something?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Spoilers Below posted:

Yes, yes!! It begins!

As some one who knows nothing about The Rani, who is she beyond "Evil Genius Time Lord"? Any reason people are either excited about this or dreading it like it's the plague?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

Well, I figured the monsters and general mythos was a given. I am talking more about direct references and allusions to the old Doctors themselves. RTD obviously brought back Sarah Jane, and then there was the notebook from Human Nature/Family of Blood. Moffat has shown the older Doctors on screen in clip form on several occasions (off the top of my head: the 11th Hour, Nightmare in Silver, Name of the Doctor, the 50th) and seems less shy about pointing out that Doctor was 11 other guys previously.

I unfortunately don't know enough about the old series (seen like 10-ish serials and gotten some backstory from a friend) so I might miss direct allusions when/if RTD has done them.

It's not a clip, but this will always be one of my favorite call backs to a previous Doctor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well that doesn't help.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

HD DAD posted:

To be fair, reviews said ITFOTN was poo poo and it kinda was.

We may be getting out of hand with the acronyms. Like, I looked it up, but I had forgotten In The Forest of the Night's title, so this was a tad confusing to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Elrond Hubbard posted:

My money was on the Cyber (Sebber?) Controller, but that doesn't seem very mind blowing.

It makes the most sense, since Missy is working with the Cybermen and all. He would be the liaison of sorts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Looking around, I found a review that gives some dialogue teasers from the episode.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/11/doctor-who-death-in-heaven-finale.html

quote:

"Oh go on, crack a smile. I wanna see if your eyebrows fall off"

"The Nethersphere is just a cool name we came up with"

"I thought we were the same. When we grew up we weren't"

"I thought she might be the Master, regenerated into female form?"

"Never trust a hug, it’s just a way to hide your face"

"You left this behind on one of your previous attempts"

"I'm a target of strategic value"

"Well look at me, I'm bananas"

"You are a good Dalek"

"Ask anyone who knows me, I am an incredible liar"

Nothing too spoilery, but some interesting ones. Like who assumed she was the Master? And You are a good Dalek. Who is calling back to that moment?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Another review mentions that the, "I'm bananas" line is The Master.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mokinokaro posted:

Amy and Rory had a really strong first season, an okay second one and a horrible half season that never should have happened and is a blight on their (and Smith's) run.

But I like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Being concerned with canon in Doctor Who is certainly something you can do. But I think that way lies madness.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well I'm happy as hell about that, personally. I love the character, and think it's interesting she'll be doing an episode of the show at the same time she's doing the audio dramas.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

He's about the only actor I can picture for the young Han Solo movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Plus the fact there isn't even going to be a series next year and Peter is leaving then too. He will probably have temporary companions for each of the specials or some poo poo.

You've mentioned this before, but has this been confirmed past that one rumor posted earlier?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

No Butt Stuff posted:

First I'm hearing about there not being a series next year. Why would they do that? They need time to find a new Doctor or something?

Shame. You'd think this was a cash cow for them still.

There was a rumor mentioned that because of the schedule to shoot Sherlock, Moffat wouldn't have time to do a season next year. But it doesn't really make a ton of sense, and I think there was only really one rumor mentioned, so I'm not putting much stock in it. People are just predisposed to believe it from Moffat due to the year of specials and fans holding grudges.

Literally the only other times I've heard it are in passing comments in this thread.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

To all the talk that next season would be smaller, or not even exist:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-06/steven-moffat-can-confirm-absolutely-that-there-will-be-a-full-series-of-doctor-who-next-year

quote:

Steven Moffat has strongly denied tabloid reports that Doctor Who will run next year with a reduced number of episodes.
The denial comes in response to a newspaper story which alleges that next year's series of the BBC1 sci-fi show will be halved so that lead actor Peter Capaldi can turn director on other projects – including a film based on his time in Glasgow punk band The Dreamboys and two episodes of US sitcom Veep. However, speaking to RadioTimes.com, Moffat said that the story was "bunk," and that he could "confirm absolutely" that he is not making fewer episodes.
"We’re making a full series. I can confirm that," said Moffat. "I’m making a full series of 12 episodes, plus a Christmas special. I don’t know when it goes out. That’s up to someone else. And even if I did know – which I genuinely don’t – I wouldn’t be allowed to say so as I have absolutely no say in it whatsoever.
"[But] it’s not being reduced in size. We’re not making fewer episodes. That’s all complete bunk. I can confirm that absolutely."
Rumours of a reduced 2016 series have been swirling for a few months, with Private Eye first reporting in August that in lieu of a full series there will instead be several specials – a la David Tennant's swan song in 2009 – allegedly due to Moffat's commitment to his other series Sherlock, which goes into production next year.
Moffat is not the only one denying the claims, though, with Capaldi himself also having responded to a question about the possibility of a shorter series by confirming "That's not what I've been told... that's not what I'm contracted for."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

cargohills posted:

I like River, and I like Peter Capaldi. I'm looking forward to Christmas.

This. Hoping it's a bit lighter than the rest of this season has been.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Acne Rain posted:

does she NEED to

she's time lord or at least part time lord, time lords can recognize each other past their regenerations, can't she do that?

Wait, if this is true, why has the Doctor not recognized the Master twice now since the reboot? David Tenant and Peter Capaldi both did not recognize the Master/Missy upon meeting him/her.

Do they have to know they're a Time Lord first, or something silly like that?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

No, she's literally got a universe inside her head. The season mystery is who placed it there and why.

Turns out it's Missy and Davros and it's a universe where Daleks are the dominant species.

Capaldi regenerates because he takes all of that universe into his own mind and reboots himself to wipe it from existence.

That...that's exactly what's going to happen, isn't it? This sounds exactly like a season reveal of the show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Eiba posted:

Bill being gay is cool. Representation is fantastic and it's about time. As a bonus, there's no chance of there being an awkward romantic tension subplot.

The next Doctor likely being a woman is also great and about time and oh god dammit they're going to do an awkward romantic tension subplot if Bill sticks around aren't they.

I like this post, and the journey it takes.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, people are latching into that too. "Clara was bi! Bill doesn't need to be gay, you people just got representation!!"

Wait, was she? I missed that. I've only watched most of Clara's episodes one time, though, and I missed a couple with 12. I remember Danny as being the only real romantic interest, in story or even in passing.

edit:

Box of Bunnies posted:

Clara who had a series long arc centered around her heterosexual relationship. But they slipped in that one line about her snogging Jane Austen! Totally equality there!

I guess I should have kept scrolling. I don't even remember this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I still wish gay FBI agent could be a companion.

I know his actor's busy, but this is doctor who, weird arbitrary bullshit happens all the time. Recast him and say the timeline changed, or maybe he gets rescued from death by a time lord giving him a regeneration so he's the original actor for one episode and the rest of the time a more available one.

Anyway bill will probably be alright and I hope they do okay with her.

Dude from Leverage, Battlestar Galactica, and Firefly? This guy?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0791968/

Yeah, he's awesome. Also, his older self in that episode was played by his real life father, which is how they both have the same gravely voice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

EDIT: Actually probably best not post this.

Aww man.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Simm isn't the only Master whose back. Though you're eventual appreciation of this fact will depend on how you felt about Tarkin in Rogue One.

Ha, awesome.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

remusclaw posted:

Yes. Hartnell is just the first Doctor, before that, he was just a boy named Sue.

I want to hate you for this. But I cant.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

Considering the regeneration shot in the trailer, it could be sooner rather than later, although it's probably/likely a fakeout. I'm hoping there's not a huge deal made about it like last time.

It's Moffat's last regeneration scene, and (if they do what they did with Tennant turning into Smith) possibly the last scene he gets to write. It is going to be the hugest of huge deals.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

The problem with the tree episode, no matter how you feel about the morality involved, is that it was boring; none of the threats felt real and the pacing was off.

A lot of the other writers had some good stuff, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what Sarah Dollard does with an episode that isn't quite as bound up in the seasonal continuity as her last one was. Mathieson's should be worth a watch, Toby Whitehouse and Mark Gatiss are hit or miss, but their hits are solidly fun, and Rona Munro's should be interesting.

Let's not care about the little things.

I also had a problem with the implication that everyone would just forget that one time the entire planet was covered by trees for part of a day. People would never stop talking about that poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

If they don't cast a woman, that's fine....but saying that doing so would be confusing to kids....that's just insulting.

Especially in light of Missy, which strikes me as testing the waters for a female Doctor, and of course getting the objectively best actor possible to play the Master that I've seen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It'll be female prime ministers next! What's the world coming to?!

How on Earth did they explain that to the children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh god no. I like him on QI, but his stand up is atrocious.

Wait, he's the guy who has audience members throw random things on stage and he makes "jokes" about them, right? If so, yeah, he's awful.

edit: I should note I don't think he's actually being chosen. It's clearly a joke. I just wanted to poo poo on his stand up.

• Locked thread