Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I'd take Frankie Boyle as The Doctor, travels all over space and time berating, belittling and demeaning absolutely anyone and everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

thepokey posted:

I'd take Frankie Boyle as The Doctor, travels all over space and time berating, belittling and demeaning absolutely anyone and everyone.

Actually I completely forgot he basically already has been The Doctor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl35zTwSXOM (:nws:)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Noxville posted:

I always assumed Frankie Boyle's show would be terrible and unfunny, I never realised it would be this terrible and unfunny.

It's really hit and miss, I found when it hit, it hit hard and was great, when it missed it was embarrassing.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I don't care who he plays, I would be over the moon if Nick Cave turned up in Doctor Who.

Looks the part!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Even if the episode synopsis doesn't sound mind blowing, this is Smith's last outing as the Doctor (at least until the 75th anniversary where he curates a museum) and I refuse to believe that he'll do anything other than give it absolutely everything he has left and be amazing; plot be damned, Smith is going to steal the show.

Also, as far as stuff like "the sky opens and new regeneration dust falls out" or whatever the hell it was, it may be complete wank, however, it may also be something that makes more sense later into Capaldi's run, maybe we'll see where it came about or whatever. Although I think I really would have preferred dealing with the end of a regeneration cycle to be something that ran for a whole season, something that dogged and haunted the doctor as opposed to something pretty much introduced and pretty much wrapped up in one episode.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Mortanis posted:

That's been the focus of the last two seasons of Smith's run. Retroactively, we now know that Smith's Doctor has known that he is at the end of his entire life - not just the end of his regeneration with a new one waiting for him. Running from Lake Silencio in S6 and Trenzalore in S7 have a different twist if it's not just Smith hiding from the end of "his" run as the Doctor, but his entire life, if he knows that showing up at either event is the absolute end of everything for him. 2/3rds of Smith's run is about the inevitability of his demise.

Yeah I do get that, retroactively, but it sort of feels a little robbed of the story being lived out though. I know you can go back and watch those episodes in a slightly different light, but it's not quite the same as it being played out as a long standing plot point.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

David Haig as The Master to watch him and Capaldi go at it again. No goatee, but who needs one with that Mo'!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The thick of it is my favourite show ever and Malcolm one of my favourite characters ever, so I was sort of half torn between wanting Capaldi to totally make me forget about Malcolm and become The Doctor and also wanting to see some kind of Malcolm-Doctor hybrid. There are just flickering moments in that first episode where he's there. Specifically the scene with the tramp. "I'm cold, give me yer coat!" I just felt like any second it was going to turn into "Hey Oscar the fuckin' grouch, give me yer fuckin' coat". Then when he's talking about his face, all I could think of was that it was his bollocking face. I think one way or another, no matter how bad some of the scripts he gets will be, he's going to really deliver some awesome stuff.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Matt Smith clicked his fingers to open the TARDIS door, Capaldi just kicks it open.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

So we have seen a very different 12 from episode 1 to episode 2 with a few people commenting that episode 1 had remnants of Matt Smith still there. Could that be completely intentional now as part of the regeneration he was still slowly shifting from one personality to the other as opposed to a sudden change? I guess the remaining episodes will answer that when we see if he bounces between the two. But I can look on the first episode in a better light if that is intentional. Either way, like others said and like any Capaldi fan was sure would happen - he did act the gently caress out of episode 2. Also yay Tyres from Spaced and Dolourus Edd!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Varance posted:

What I really like is that I'm starting to see plenty of that Capaldi snark I'm so fond of. :woop:

Malcolm: You're not a young woman anymore
Nicola: Yes, I am
Malcolm: Well, you don't look it
Nicola: I do look it!
Malcolm: Oh that's right! Keep your spirits up!

I think Capaldi will be really good for Clara. If they continue down this snarky/no BS kind of Doctor road with him, Clara would be pretty important in actually keeping him in check and doing what he can't or won't do. With the last 3 with some exceptions here and there, we were always told the Doctor needed a companion with him to stop him from sort of losing the plot or from becoming less human or however you want to put it. But we never really saw that, so often it felt like if the companion wasn't there the Doctor would probably make all the same choices and be no different (as I say, with a few exceptions). But this time, it feels like there might be a lot more to that line about Clara being his carer so he doesn't have to. Even with her there it could be a battle to keep the Doctor on the straight and narrow, whereas before it seemed all that required was a companion simply being in the same room.

Of course that's all based on almost nothing and it might not go that way at all. But I hope that this means that now Clara's impossible girl story is over and with a vastly different Doctor she'll get to really shine.

Although at the same time, now I actually sort of want River to come back and try flirting with 12, that would not go down well at all from a Doctor that couldn't even hug someone.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Episode 3 is pretty dire. I giggled at Capaldi pulling off the "what in the gently caress are they constantly laughing about?" type responses and his banter with Robin Hood in the jail was pretty funny. But the sword-spoon fight was ridiculous and seemed so out of character for this Doctor, even within the context of this episode alone. Matt Smith's Doctor would have pulled it off with charm, even as stupid as it was, it just didn't suit Capaldi.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The arrow thing wasn't really a big deal, it was just Robin and the Sheriff in the typical archery contest from the classic tale with the Doctor thrown in showing he can match them (with a little bit of trickery revealed later on as to how). The truly awful thing was the teamwork 3-person arrow shooting at the end of the episode, that was just awkward as gently caress. If not from a storytelling point of view, then just from a purely physical one - three people operating 1 regular bow.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Does Listen explain how Clara can visit the Doctor when he's a kid, considering Gallifrey is in that pocket universe now, or whatever?

Not really, but I guess you could wave it away by thinking that they went to Gallifrey in a time when it wasn't in the pocket universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That really doesn't make sense.

True, but neither does the alternative of the TARDIS happily jumping into the pocket universe to see Gallifrey. For the sake of some kind of future story where there is a challenge of how to get to Gallifrey, I'm going to go on assuming they just visited some earlier version that isn't in the pocket universe and magically escaped the time lock; otherwise I'll find myself screaming "just make Clara stick her hands in the goo to get back there like last time!" when they're struggling to work out how to get to Gallifrey. Or something, I dunno, it's hard to come up with satisfying bridges across plot holes.

• Locked thread