Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Perhaps lending credence to some earlier rumors:

Peter Davison posted:

I have got a copy of the script which has got my name embossed across it. So it’s top secret, but there’s other stuff, lots of other things that are going on that people should keep their eye open for around the 50th anniversary special!

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/did-peter-davison-drop-a-big-hint-on-the-50th-53076.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hopefully he's just being cagey about it to keep us on edge and not because the role is a brief interview for a retrospective to be aired in the scene breaks of An Adventure in Time and Space.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Let's not judge the Hurt plotline before it even happens. I know Moffat has been off the rails a little lately, but we know next to nothing about it, including whether it is even a retcon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

^^^^edit: It's John Hurt, they're just loving with you. But he is a part of the 50th (as far as I know, he's only slated to appear in Day of the Doctor).

John Hurt's a fantastic actor and even if his part is just to walk on, say "I'm the real Ninth Doctor. Everything you know about the numbers after Eight is wrong, so take that, continuity nerds. By the way, I brought River back to life and now she's my daughter and cousin as well as my wife. Arrgh, I have stomach pain!" and then an alien pops out of his chest, we'll have had ten seconds of good television.

I think it's likely to be a little convoluted, but Moffat could also pull something fun off, you never know.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The scream of the end credits starting just as the Daleks pile out of something and start yelling "EXTERMINATE!" is like the most Doctor Who thing I can think of. I suppose they're just complaining about the actual words "To be continued"? Weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

William Hurt is not nearly as embarrassing as my most consistent error, which is calling Seven "Colin McCoy," which I guess would most accurately be Sylvester in the Colin wig.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I hate you.

He's fine now, sitting at home with 5 broken ribs and a wicked bruise on his hip. He fell off a ladder and missed a concrete slab by inches. Dude's stressing me out!

Sorry to hear it! I hope he has a speedy and comfortable convalescence and that things return to normal in the Rhyno family.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tace Vim posted:

Man, the old Zygon costumes were way better. Glad to see them return, but I'm worried they won't be as creepy as they should be.

I seem to be part of the minority, but I really don't see what part the Zygons have in modern Doctor Who at all, and certainly in the anniversary.

I'm personally hoping they're there for ten seconds as an adventure that's finishing or getting interrupted.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Zygons are shape-shifting jerks who want to gently caress up Earth. That's better than most New Who villains right there.

Yeah but look at how silly looking they are, like even more silly looking than Daleks

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

You want the Slitheen back or something? Or that drat hing with all the faces on it?

Not really :confused:

I think maybe for the 50th they should stick with just the classic villains like Daleks instead of bringing back any of the bunch one-shot rubbersuits, but I'm guessing Astroman is right and they're just back for a quick gag.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The Third Doctor hung about in the vortex for several weeks until he was returned to his lab at UNIT HQ.

And the Second was rather indignant about his forced regeneration.

And the Seventh was murdered by a companion. (some count Grace as a companion.)

Five goes out in a screaming circle of regret and immediately strangles his companion, Four looks exhausted with his entire existence, and there is nothing dignified about the Colin Baker wig. I get that The End of Time has its problems, but I've never thought Ten regretting his regeneration was one of them and actually think its one of the better parts of the episodes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spoilers Below posted:

Well, and at the very end, he kinda does. He's already saved the day and beaten all bad guys and stopped the Master and should be ready to jet off for yet another adventure in time and space. The Doctor could just let Wilf die; Wilf's an old man who's already lived a long life, and no one would ever know. But if he did that, then he wouldn't be the Doctor.

Plus the way he yells at Wilf, then kind of realizes he's being a dick and says "You live too long..." is a nice little human moment. The RTD years could be over-heavy on the melodrama to be sure, but some of the stuff like Tennant and Wilf, the Davros speech and whatnot do kind of take the Doctor off of his pedestal and make him face up to the side effects of his philosophy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blasphemeral posted:

You're thinking of six. Five dies of poisonous gas inhalation after giving his companion the only dose of antitoxin. He hallucinates his previous companions urging him to keep fighting and stay alive.

Right, I meant that Five went out in the circle of regret (his companions all circling him and making him feel miserable) and upon regeneration into Six strangled somebody.

Either way, regeneration hasn't usually had a hell of a lot of dignity to it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Who wouldn't want to strangle Peri if she was the first thing your brand new eyes and ears were exposed to?

Dads. She was something for them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gau posted:

I straight-up guffawed at this line. He delivers it so well.

God drat, this is going to kick rear end.

Yeah, he managed to both channel Troughton and make it his own. I know a lot people have some issues with the Tennant hears, but I'm really glad to see him back and it's great that he had the opportunity to work with Matt Smith. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Castellan! Stop Rassilon from being evil and end the Time War or I swear I'll claim my presidency again. One grows tired of jammy dodgers. One grows tired of just about everything, except for picking on the Castellan."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

zamiel posted:

Mirror has an article saying Matt Smith makes an appearance at the end of Adventure in Space and Time where he "meets" Hartnell.

Mirror and 12th Doctor :rolleyes:, but that'll be a really sweet ending if its true :unsmith:

Oddly, that's the rumor that convinces me we're close enough to the time that I should probably duck out of the spoiler thread. See you guys on the Tuesday after the special airs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Even if the War Doctor gets wounded, says his goodbyes and stumbles into the TARDIS, and they then show some footage from Rose with Nine checking his reflection later, I think I'll be okay with it. I want to believe that they tricked me again, and that other Doctors filmed really quick scenes or snippets of dialogue, but getting an Eighth Doctor clip was more than enough.

edit:

Astroman posted:

Nor do I think they will de-retcon The War Doctor and have McGann change to Eccleston, because that would change the Time War.

Not necessarily. The Time War existing in some bubble (wellll, it's not a bubble, but etc.) outside of time leaves a lot of room for creating some kind of a sixth dimension with extra-time travel or something. They will not do that, because it's too confusing and narrative-wise it isn't very interesting, but still, the rules of time travel (what few Doctor Who follows) are completely out the window for the war.

edit: wait, I'm in the spoiler thread again :wth:

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 19, 2013

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

Well yeah, as I said - a prototype of Obama. He failed to invade Cuba and then pissed off the Russians to the point where they decided to build missiles in Cuba. There's also the interesting parallel between Kennedy's "humanitarian" efforts and his fondness for having people assassinated and Obamacare with his predilection towards droning people to death.

Kennedy had many strengths and many weaknesses, but calling him a proto-Obama is so simplistic and ignorant for so many loving reasons.

Either way, including it in the special would be foolish, in my opinion, and not just because the Americans who consider his assassination a flashbulb memory would be taken straight out of the narrative.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hasn't Matt Smith almost-regenerated a few times? And I think he's thought that he was regenerating. And when people try to kill him, they go out of their way to make sure to do it in a way that can keep him from regenerating.

It'd be a bit odd if they suddenly revealed this was his last lifetime, but from interviews with Moffat, it does look like that's the way they're going. Oh well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Moffat is quoted in about a billion articles as calling Matt Smith "the Thirteenth Doctor" (alt Ten and Hurt both count), so it looks like at least part of it is true.

The Doctor just lies about his age so i don't much care if the 900 years thing is true, but I do think this feels like a quick, roughshod way to address the regeneration limit, which I'm not a big fan of. The only reason to address it at all would be for narrative reasons, because, honestly, it would be so easy to just handwave in a dozen different ways. The only good thing about the regeneration limit would be making the Doctor examine his own mortality, which he is apparently now going to do in a single episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

He's been questioning his mortality since at least Tennant's year of specials. First it was "Regeneration is a lot like dying for the previous incarnation. I die and some new man goes sauntering away." And then in 11's run he's been running from Lake Silencio and Trenzalore.

Sure, but I mean, what's the purpose of even addressing the 13 limit otherwise, narratively? Because people are big on their weird canon? I know everyone seems to think this is an important part of Who Lore but the Master basically got an entirely new cycle with barely any explanation besides "Time War" and I'd frankly be fine with the same for the Doctor.

I suppose they could be introducing it for The Mystery of Where the New Regeneration Came From. I don't know, I guess I'll have to see how they play it out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It doesn't really make sense that River ever had regenerations in the first place so I guess I can forgive them for taking those away from her in a manner that also didn't make a lot of sense. Maybe she slipped on a time banana and her regenerations fell into Romana, so she could waste them all trying on a bunch of faces.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regeneration: now a super-power that heals other people too, only you don't need to spend any regeneration points to do it, you just can.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Varance posted:

Went back and checked it. It's the head of the Chess-playing dormant Cyberman from Nightmare in Silver. How they got that for the Black Archive, I have no idea.

It's probably just supposed to be a derelict Cyberman and using a prop that already looked like that was the easiest way to go.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The "have they no workhouses" speech in A Christmas Carol was practically written for Daleks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SENSORS INDICATE THAT THIS PACK-AGE CONTAINS A WOOL SWEATER. EXCHANGE. EXCHANGE! EXCHANGE!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

he apparently leaps around in a post-regeneration madness

I hope they mean this more in the Matt Smith way and less in the Colin Baker way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just saw American Psycho: The Musical with Matt Smith as Patrick Bateman. Was more than a little disconcerting to be nose-to-nose with the Doctor as he sung electropop while skullfucking a corpse.

How was his American accent?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's great that he's not only finding work, but finding work that's vastly different from the iconic character he played for four seasons. It would be a shame if his excellent performance resulted in him not being able to grow as an actor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

moths posted:

Contract typo results in every episode getting a Tom Baker cameo for the rest of Doctor Who.

This would be the greatest.

As a result, Tom spoils every season arc by blabbing to the press, but couldn't be bothered to read the parts of the script he wasn't in, so all of the spoilers are complete lies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So, Philip Morris has recovered over 10,000 film cans from Africa and is currently sorting through them. Oh boy oh boy oh boy! :dance:

Power of the Daleks and Tenth Planet, come on, come on...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone have a source on the fact that they started filming today? All I can find are a million news sources confirming that they're filming "later this week."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

This was actually the first thing confirmed about the season (which was actually bad news for me...I can't stand them.)

They're not so bad, I just wish they'd have used them a bit more sparingly during Matt's tenure. I think they're doing this so that we're surrounded by "familiar" faces while they introduce the new Doctor, though, which seems like they're trying to lean on their current success a little rather than shake things up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He looks so happy to be the Doctor :shobon:

edit: second episode written by Phil Ford, who co-wrote The Waters of Mars.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

Wait so it still won't be a full series? Fucks sake.

I mean, it sucks, but at least 12 episodes is basically a full run instead of the crazy, split-season/just specials this year kind of stuff that's been the norm lately.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

Ideally they'd do a Time War era special with McGann/Hurt battling against Derek Jacobi.

I think we just found the premise for the Hollywood Doctor Who movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They should just find Kamelion somewhere. "OH, that's right, I made another of these after the last was destroyed!" And then the celebrity guest star of the week can sometimes be the Doctor's companion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Let's hope this was a passing thought to answer an interview question and not an idea that will percolate:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2014/01/doctor-who-steven-moffat-tempted-to-bring-river-song-back.html

Moffat posted:

[River] could certainly have met other Doctors. So there's nothing stopping us ... But is there anything new we can do? Or is the new thing that Peter Capaldi and Alex Kingston would be very sexy together? Is that enough? We've always had fun with the fact that they don't look like a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When Moffat departs, he is welcome to include River Song as part of his big sad goodbye for himself. Until then, I think the character has run its course. I could also use a vacation from the Angels, nursery rhyme advertising, 100s of years passing in between episodes and a host of other quirks. He has some great ideas and some great writing sometimes, I just really wish he had a second-in-command who would keep a leash on him.

• Locked thread