Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The new season is just a sitcom where Davros and the Doctor have to be roommates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would actually for real watch a full season of Doctor Who in which a sassy Dalek filled the K-9 role in terms of companions, and I don't even think it would be stooping low. The loving Daleks are still salt shakers with plungers on them and they're halfway to a comedy already, so just hire Nick Briggs to fill out the joke for awhile, try not to wear it too thin, and give it a funny name like Margaret or Theresa.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

I think Doctor What was trying to make a cute joke about how that's really what their hands look like now (as in, in character in universe)

But unless they polish the effect up after the fact, which kind of defeats the purpose of these costumes, they just look like gloves. Really bad ones.

I think it sort of helps the "cobbled together, piece by piece, with little thought as to aesthetic and entirely based on form" thing, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It's really surprising to me that all the evidence points to Moffat trying to go out with an RTDish bang, it's really not his style. Of course, his final episode will be this Christmas, so I guess that'll be the real finale.

That Christmas episode with Handles was pretty RTDish, if you mean what I think you mean.

It is weird, the preview for next episode makes it look like a mostly normal episode of Doctor Who that will probably conclude with a Mondasian Cyberman cum multi-Master cliffhanger. Gonna be one crammed final episode.

I'm most interested in what's going to happen to Bill, especially if the Christmas episode is more a retrospective. If she's not sticking around (and she probably isn't, I'd guess), her role in the Christmas special may be as a sort of Memory of Bill, so these may be her last two episodes. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

[img Torchwood dot jpeg]

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pulling away from all the action, we see an expressionless Adric staring into a snowglobe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To be fair, nobody has had a good grasp on the Cybermen since like Tomb. The eras of "Excccccellent" and "DELETE!" Cybermen were not exactly impressive.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sad King Billy posted:

DELETE was a huge mistake, Cybermen don't need catchphrases, certainly not poo poo ones.

And yet, weirdly, they're still probably better than the Cybermen from the 4th-7th Doctor era, which is most of their run.

Some of it is that the Cybermen have been used way too often and don't have a ton you can do with them, sort of like the Borg, but some of it is just people taking whatever generic bad guy script they have and sticking a popular face on it, without any thought as to whether it fits.

Maybe even if the Mondas ones are sidelined for the two-parter, if the aesthetic is decent, Chibnall will stick with that design and idea the next time they show up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

The Cybermen should be more relevant than ever now. Not from the technological angle either, from the Must Survive angle. Which just, gets ignored.

Yeah, I agree. The Mondas Cybermen in particular could serve as a particularly poignant criticism of Startup Culture and "disrupting" things, given that so many of major players write about embracing The Singularity but seem to lack basic empathy when it comes to human suffering, and they're the kinds of people who make decisions that affect technology all of us will be using. The Cybermen have a more limited scope than they are used for, but a good writer could do worlds with them right now.

Riptor posted:

Speaking of which I'm shocked at how long it's been since we've seen an Ood

I'd like to see the Ood come back, and not just for a joke. The Slitheen had more than their stay. Even with a complete aesthetic redesign that stops focusing on bad fart jokes, there are just more efficient ways of criticizing naked capitalism and blind family loyalty.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some sources are stating that the next episode reveal's the Doctor's real name. It's included with a bunch of other cheeky hints, though, so... probably not.

Most of the preview reviews are positive, focusing on Moffat's writing, Talalay's direction and Mackie's performance, with an almost universal complaint that it spends time building to surprises we already know because of preview materials (Mondas Cybermen/John Simm). They all say that the Cybermen are super creepy and that there are a lot of surprises besides the ones we already know. There's a preview scene that was cut from some of the critical reviews. Those who have seen it seem torn about it (some liked it, some didn't). There's something that happens pretty early in the episode that is a big deal that nobody in the spoiler free reviews can talk about except to say a Thing happens.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm mostly relieved to hear that the cybermen do get the focus of at least the first half and are done well.

Yeah, all the sources say they're very creepy and dark (and they confirm it's the old voices).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

That preview also says they can't be sure when in the Masters time line it is, but it has to be post End of Time doesn't it? It can't be from during his Mr Saxon time because the TARDIS was stuck on Earth. He was dead between that and the End of Time, so it has to be after for him.

One of the advance reviews says that they're not sure, but they think it's post End of Time Master. Audiences historically have trouble with multiple time traveling characters meeting out of sequence without extended explanation, so I sort of doubt he'll be before that, but hell, Moffat has nothing to lose at this point, so you never know.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I'm 100% certain that tease from that preview article about "revealing the Doctors real name" and "female Doctor" are based on that clip of Missy going "Hello, I'm Doctor Who"

The "female doctor" one definitely is, and the "real name" one is probably something equally ;)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think he does a pretty good Hartnell for a biopic. I think it's weird to have him play "the First Doctor." The Doctor gets recast as different actors, but recasting specific incarnations of the Doctor is basically just asking an actor to do an impression of another actor. It gives them very little leeway to do their own interpretation of a part.

I think it could work here if it's a Christmas Carol-y type thing - the Doctor's memory of his past self is distorted, whatever, but I really hope we don't get into the habit of using combinations of CG, make-up and impressionists to try breathing some kind of undead life into actors that we've lost. It's ghoulish.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

We are absolutely going to get into that habit. Did you see Rogue One?

I did, and it felt particularly weird there, because I don't even think they really captured his voice.

The 50th Anniversary stuff in Doctor Who was fine, because it was for brief shots mostly using archive footage, and Big Finish's narrated short stories are fine, but this idea that we can essentially have the First Doctor back because someone did a pretty good job of portraying Hartnell in a biopic sucks. Bill Hartnell is dead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's definitely the voice, I think. It's always been kind of funny to me that Hurndall sounds so much like someone trying to say Hartnell with a mouth full of something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The only problem with inter-cutting more of the sing-song voice/Mondsian Cyberman design is that it means Pearl Mackie basically wouldn't have gotten to act at all in what may very well be (functionally) her last episode (my guess is that she'll be in the Christmas special, but sort of like how Clara is in Heaven Sent).

Gonna be a loooong six months. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Mirror, so grain of salt, but this has the ring of truth to it: Clara is likely to come back for a quick goodbye in the Christmas special, probably similar to Amy's goodbye for Eleven.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He's in a random episode of early Poirot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor Who spoiler thread: now just the IMDB page for Peter Capaldi, spread out through individual posts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wuggles posted:

I say if the show can be like Broadchurch up to, but not including, the child murdering then that would be fine.

I hope the costume changes.

I think it was mostly designed to obscure her so that we'd have to wait thirty seconds or so before we could see her. I like the shoes, though.

I know it's fun to laugh at the nerd salt, but I hope it doesn't run Jody Whittaker off of social media or adversely affect her life. It really sucks when a talented actor finally gets a high profile role and then has to drown in death threats just for being successful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Also who's the new director replacing Moffat? I can only hope that the new season does not have the subtlety of tumblr.

The new showrunner is Chris Chibnall, who wrote and showran Broadchurch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Neat. What's Broadchurch?

It's a mystery about a murder investigation (specifically, investigating the murder of a child) in a small town, starring David Tennant and Olivia Coleman. The first season is very good. It's so good, in fact, that I quit after watching it, because it seemed like it had told the whole story, and I did not want anything more from it.

Tikifire posted:

In the interview they released after the announcement she said that wasn't her "Doctor" costume in the reveal video.

Does anyone have this interview, because I want to see this:

Jodie Whittaker posted:

To be asked to play the ultimate character, to get to play pretend in the truest form: this is why I wanted to be an actor in the first place. To be able to play someone who is literally reinvented on screen, with all the freedoms that brings: what an unbelievable opportunity. And added to that, to be the first woman in that role.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I sort of hope that the only reference they make to it is her doing the typical post-regeneration check, realizing what has happened, and saying "Oh. Well, about time! Now what was I doing? There was something important, something... Oh that's right, there was [an impending disaster, setting up the cliffhanger!]"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Touching self on the nose, eyes, hair, stomach* "Wait a minute... hang on, just a second, it can't be! It just absolutely can't be! I've lost my fantastic sticky-up hair!" *a Sontaran teleports into the TARDIS*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I hope the entirety of the first episode of Series 11 is just Thirteen trying to figure out what to wear while the universe burns around outside the TARDIS.

Then she figures it out just in time to save everyone.

This should have been David Tennant's first episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ten: Rose, what do you think of this tie? Does yellow clash with the blue? I like yellow, you've gotta love yellow, bananas are good, anyway, Barcelona!
Rose: Doctor, those aliens just murdered my mum.
Ten: You'r right, the yellow's too much. White Converse shoes? Red Converse shoes? (Pausing to look extremely sad.) I'm the last of the Time Lords, Rose. Nobody on Gallifrey can ever Converse shoes on a big tan coat except for me.
Mickey: (Banging on the TARDIS doors) Doctor, please! They've just blown up the entire west coast of the United States, billions were killed.
Ten: They're all gone, Rose. None of them will ever spill a banana daiquiri on a tie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Riptor posted:

haha yeah women do obsess over clothes!

Yeah, I was trying to turn the joke be back to the Tennant era because the original one about Thirteen, uh...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

My honest first thought was that she didn't look goofy enough but I think she could carry the level of authority needed. I just hope the stories are good.

I looked at the trailers for her new comedy (it's not my cup of tea, from the looks of it, but it's a style and preference thing), and she definitely seems like she can pull off goofy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Who SPOILERS: Basically just a Pessimistic Version of the Main Thread Until Chistmas

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maybe they can get Davison in to express deep concern over how many young men are losing a role model when the Doctor regenerates.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Past Doctors' faces whirling around the floor with Davison saying "YOU MUST NOT DIE! DOCTOR! DON'T DIE DOCTOR! MUAHAHAHA!"

All along the Valeyard was just Five in a disguise, trying to make sure that the regenerating stopped at after the Sixth Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is an absolute mystery to me why people cannot tell the difference between portraying an actor in a biopic and portraying a character that actor played in a work of fiction. Like, even if you disagree that they shouldn't recast the First Doctor, it really can't be difficult to see that portraying an actor and portraying a character are two different things. Jim Carrey played Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon, and he did a few scenes as Latka, but it doesn't mean that if they ever have a Taxi reunion, Andy Kaufman can just show up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

No, but Jim Carrey could, in theory, play Latka, and I don't think people would mind.

Characters are recast all of the time. Sure, Doctor Who found a clever way of doing it differently, but James Bond, Professor X, and Rhodes can all be recast with no real issue. It's fine here, too.

Or, more relevant, Dumbledore, since the original actor wasn't available.

This would be like if somebody cast a new actor to play "Dr. No's Bond" and asked them to do an imitation of Sean Connery.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HERAK posted:

Just to add, bloody hellfire.

Oh, my sainted aunt!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

So you're just going to miss the point of what I was trying to say entirely in favor of insults, good to know.

Let me put it this way, not that you'll care. If some one was going to play Adam West Batman, that wasn't Adam West, in some big movie- I'd have just as much of a problem with that.

This is kind of what I'm saying, like this isn't recasting James Bond, it's recasting "Sean Connery as James Bond." It's not recasting Batman, it's recasting "Val Kilmer as Batman." It'd be like if they'd asked Chris Pine to "do William Shatner."

What Burkion means, I think, when he says "unique" is that, really, the "First Doctor" is not a character, even though we like to think of him as one, something we don't really do with other media. Nobody calls Sean Connery "the First Bond," so nobody would ever think of recasting "Connery Bond." The Doctor is a character; the "First Doctor" is our shorthand for saying it's William Hartnell's portrayal of that character.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ood companion. A sonic Ood. All Ood soundtrack. Oodles of Oods, all the way down.

thexerox123 posted:

Now that I think about it, if someone made a movie that was a crossover between the different James Bonds and tried to explain the different versions... I would be so down to watch that.

I think it would be pretty bad, if only because Roger Moore is dead and Sean Connery is retired. They could get people to do facsimiles, but so much of the appeal is the charisma those actors had with their suave disdain.

It might be worth it just to have a scene where George Lazenby opens his mouth to try to argue that he wasn't that bad, and history has been kinder to him than the other Bonds, only for him to get immediately interrupted and never be in the movie again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

So that's Colm Meaney as the Doctor and Kenneth Branagh as the Master.

Every episode would just be the Doctor living out several lifetimes in a torturous hell prison while a day passes for everyone else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Big Finish did just that didn't they? Audio only I know, but honestly it's always been clear since the Five Doctors that it was in no way out of the question to recast a Doctor.

Not really, no. Big Finish does full audio dramas, but they also do audio stories that are prose as read by single companions, who typically do voices for the rest of the characters. It sounds like hair-splitting, I know, and with Big Finish it sort of is, because they add sound effects and sometimes have multiple readers, but it is a bit different. More like an audio book and less like a radio play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

The straight up recast the Third Doctor and Ben though in full cast audios...

Huh. That's new since I was tracking what they did... my Big Finish consumption has slowed down, so by the time I get to what they're doing now, the show will be having its 100th anniversary.

• Locked thread