Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ukle posted:

Note since you posted that Daniel Rigby's odds keep falling and falling on Ladbrokes, Hes now 2/1.

Looks like the name might have been leaked, and he fits the Matt Smith / David Tennant mold in terms of how they choose the doctors.

He has a show on at the fringe this year and is part of a play that is performing on Sunday at 1500 so unless he is being helicoptered to London or they are doing his introduction as a remote from somewhere in Edinburgh I don't think it's him. Also if i were the BBC I might want him to clean up his twitter account slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ProfessorLoomis posted:

They mention Torchwood though, in the article i linked.

And the Doctor knows about the events of children of men from the last time he met Jack.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Kris Marshall is the safe and unadventurous choice wel known to the BBC a recognised name and a decent actor. I think most people would like them to take a risk and cast a relatively unknown but really good actor of what ever gender or ethnicity lets them tell the most interesting stories, not another white male.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Looke posted:

yes please

It would be a bold and interesting choice.

I'm holding out hope that it is not Kris Marshall at least until it is official. John Simm is back so that could be interesting.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Astroman posted:

What if John Simm is the 13th Doctor?

:aaaaa:

That's what i hope. Certainly would be much more interesting.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I'd really like another relative unknown like Matt Smith, to be honest. Capaldi is obviously an incredible actor but I still struggle to look at him in Doctor Who and think 'The Doctor' rather than 'Famous Actor Peter Capaldi', whereas it's the other way round with Smith. But that might just be a failure of imagination on my part.

A relative unknown with strong theatre experience worked for Smith and Tennant, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge fits that mould. But Auntie have the ability to keep a secret so we probably won't know until they want us to. But while we are speculating what about Tatiana Maslany, good actor already worked with part of the BBC and is a pretty big contrast to Capaldi.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I didn't really know Capaldi from anything other than being the sweary awesome Scottish guy from The Thick Of It.

He was in the excellent only Torchwood mini-series, and was in the Pompeii episode, as was Karen Gillan, so who else was good in that?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Canned Panda posted:

Apparently, they are going to tell us who is playing the next Doctor after the Wimbledon Men's Final on Sunday!!

Is that the real prize for winning this year? I guess that means that they expect it to leak next week and want to get out ahead of it. I'm really hoping that it is something weird and unexpected and not just 'young white male actor who did a little telly and a few well reviewed theatre pieces'.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

He's leaving some show called Death In Paradise this year, right? Makes sense, since he's recently available.

Yeah and reading about him leaving he wants to spend more time at home with his family since his eldest is starting school. Speculation now seems to be revolving around Broadchurch and Kris Marshal.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

TinTower posted:

"Also, they can change gender sometimes."

And they really leaned into saying that in the last season as well.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not nearly so much as the Culture series

That's still just a book series and the people complaining about this don't do books.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Jodie Whittaker.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/886608420241117185

The offical (slightly anticlimactic) announcement. Probably going to be a few press releases coming out soon but in the meantime the comments should be glorious.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Gender agnostic might be more accurate, as there doesn't appear to be much conscious choice in a regeneration.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Neat. What's Broadchurch?

An award wining and apparently very good drama, on my long list to watch.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I hope it's ignored until the tag at the end of the season. A mid-credits flash of revelation when the Doctor realises that they are a woman.

Also pronouns and tenses are going to be complicated now, Dan Streetmentioner might have something to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Riptor posted:

holy christ

Just to add, bloody hellfire.

• Locked thread