Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I think with budget concerns being so huge these last few seasons, there's no way they'll get anyone that has name power behind it. At least outside the UK, anyway. I'd kill for Idris Elba or Ayoade, but I just don't see it happening.

As much as I really find Smith to be my favorite Doctor, I'd really like to have the next actor be already in his thirties at the very least. Smith did an amazing job with the cantankerous old man in the younger body, but I'd love an older Doctor. Somehow, I doubt the BBC is going to go that route, though. They need eye candy for the younger generation I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
It would be nice to have Hurt pop in every few episodes, not just because of how awesome Hurt is as an actor, but just because there would be an absurdly awesome novelty of having the Doctor himself as a part time companion beyond just The X Doctor specials. Pending that if Hurt shows up in S8, it's actually him and not some agonized portion of the Doctor's psyche or a haunting memory or something. In small amounts, so as to not wear the premise thin, a couple of Doctors tooling around the universe, bickering at everything would be glorious in a regular series.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Or it's just as simple as "Rose could see the future from the Anniversary special and seeded Bad Wolf there too to be consistent". It doesn't have to be anything beyond the scope that's already been established.

I suppose that's unlikely if they're putting it in the poster, unless that's just become shorthand for "Rose" now.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Aatrek posted:

I would love to see Donna and 13 share the screen.

I love that we're already calling Capaldi 13.

Also, it's an honest tie between who I'd rather see back on the show again: Donna or Captain Jack, so this makes me absurdly happy.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Pretty sure that Confidential mentioned it was sent over almost immediately after that, and that it had been on set still since the end of Tennant's run because they'd had an idea for revisiting it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Well, here we are in 2013, and I've just watched McGann as the Doctor once more, and it's everything I'd ever thought it would be. I would do terrible things to have even a single series with him. It's honestly a little saddening to see him officially regenerate, though. There was always that mystery that it was out there, always at least one more adventure away.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
No stranger than 10 meeting 5 in Time Crash - I mean, 10 remembers how to solve the problem because he remembers seeing it as 5, but somehow doesn't remember being told "by the way, the Master's back".

Still, this establishes that the events happened in 11's temporal past, and it's not some sort of time-travel-fuckery that rewrites history, causing 11 meeting 10 to happen for the first time simultaneously for them or something. That's... interesting.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
However "The Moment" was used, Nine said that all those in the Time War were wiped out in a second - it seems to have snaked through all of reality and plucked out everything and everyone tangentially related to the War and locked them from reality. It wouldn't matter if they were off world or not at that point. It all ceased to be.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I have this vague hope that any Eccleston cameo will be like Matt Smith in the Laurel and Hardy clip - just sort of appearing on a monitor somewhere and waving at the screen. Or accidentally stumbling across Ten and Eleven mid-adventure and quietly sneaking back out. Subdued and simple. No pomp and circumstance.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I actually like that, all save the end - I hope that if it DOES go that route, there's a tiny bit more explanation than the cracks just open and somehow the Doctor is able to regenerate again because stuff. Everything else sounds grand, though. I'm hopeful if the spoilers prove true.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I watched The Master eat people and shoot lightning at Timothy Dalton as he stood on a sound stage and wasted his vast potential. I enjoyed that episode.

This sounds fine to me.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

thepokey posted:

Although I think I really would have preferred dealing with the end of a regeneration cycle to be something that ran for a whole season, something that dogged and haunted the doctor as opposed to something pretty much introduced and pretty much wrapped up in one episode.

That's been the focus of the last two seasons of Smith's run. Retroactively, we now know that Smith's Doctor has known that he is at the end of his entire life - not just the end of his regeneration with a new one waiting for him. Running from Lake Silencio in S6 and Trenzalore in S7 have a different twist if it's not just Smith hiding from the end of "his" run as the Doctor, but his entire life, if he knows that showing up at either event is the absolute end of everything for him. 2/3rds of Smith's run is about the inevitability of his demise.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

I think this one at least is passable because, if he is the robot, why would he fake regenerate anyway? He obviously wants to hide the fact that this is his last life in addition to hiding the fact that that wasn't him.

I don't have a good explanation for the Cyber Planner, although I thought he was able to hide some things from him?

He managed to hide Hurt's War Doctor. Still, it does seem suspect. Probably won't get an answer.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I could almost buy that someone made it all up, except that Moffat did tell Radio Times that Smith is the 13th Doctor yesterday. Like it or not, it will be addressed for good this Christmas.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-11-25/steven-moffat-is-rewriting-doctor-who-folklore-to-produce-a-christmas-cracker

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

CaptainYesterday posted:

Maybe the Doctor pulls a Master and takes over a guy named Trodoc's Eric Roberts' body.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Royal W posted:

Regarding :words: about regeneration:

the Christmas Special should be an hour of Matt Smith dying and regenerating into various actors, who promptly die and regenerate. After about 40 of these, Bill Bailey regenerates into Capaldi, Moff walks on to the set, flips a double bird and says, "Now shut the gently caress up about it."

This is Doctor Who. Everything/Nothing is canon.

Moffat already wrote the Curse of the Fatal Death.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Almost every Doctor Who episode, hell Doctor Who almost as a whole, sounds like a steaming shitpile if you just explain it in a couple quick paragraphs. That's very nearly the point of the thing, to me, that what should very well fail to work manages to pull together to be entertaining.

Statues that only move when you're not looking at them grab you and drag you to 1966.

Yup. Even good episodes sound dumb when boiled down to fragmentary plot points. But it's very in right now for Goons to poo poo on Moffat, so they'll hate on it before it's even aired.

It's very unlikely to be worse than the Master eating people and making GBS threads lightning.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

So it's gotten to the point where "it probably won't be as bad as End of Time Part 1" = "good enough".

I'll just quote myself from earlier in the thread when the spoilers leaked:

Mortanis posted:

I watched The Master eat people and shoot lightning at Timothy Dalton as he stood on a sound stage and wasted his vast potential. I enjoyed that episode.

This sounds fine to me.

We're not even a month from one of the best things Moffat has put out in Doctor Who, but somehow the Christmas special is going to be unmitigated poo poo based on some spoilers. Who Fandom is godawful.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah. I seem to recall Matt Smith's episodes went Time of the Angels, Flesh and Stone and then Eleventh Hour.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
The Doctor does have a diary. I just don't think we've seen it since The Movie (When it was the 900 Year Diary, I think)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Davros: The time has come for me to wipe out all reality, Doctor! Witness as everything you cherish is undone!
The Doctor: Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Yeah. I'd watch a few seasons of The Dude as The Doctor.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
So Smith's outfit evoked Troughton, and now Capaldi's is pulling Pertwee. We know where the next Doctor is heading.

I like it, but I'm going to echo the other sentiments. Something at the neck and a fob watch. He's going to be very monochromatic when standing still. Smith spun and moved a lot, and it remains to be seen how Capaldi will move, but that's a lot of solid color to pull off.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
The thing that leaps out at me right away is that Matt stooped a lot. He was always walking with hunched shoulders, head forward, hands clasped. Mischievous. Capaldi standing arrow straight there just looks so different in tone.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Every single fan-made poster in the last few weeks has had a purple sonic screwdriver. They really latch onto one thing and run it hard.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I would do unspeakable things if it guaranteed an 8/12 two Doctor special. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a regular episode, which probably means a webisode of some type, which means probably a few minutes at best.

I'll take it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
There's a crazy amount of cognitive dissonance to equate production gaffes like boom mics in shots and incorrect dates on badges that aren't meant to be focal points and having a full sized ad for your own show ON your show. The first is tiny; the latter is not. The first should be taken care of by studious and careful people who do their job, but are somewhat (only somewhat) forgivable because they are small and moderately easy to miss and probably only reviewed by one or two people; the latter would require such massive gaps in mental processing power by: everyone on set (actors, extras, directors, camera operators, sound engineers, etc); everyone reviewing test footage; the director of photography; the handful of people that presumably review the edited episode and whatever other hands view it before it gets to air because I'm sure I'm missing a few as I'm not a televisionologist. Possible, but it would be a massive oversight by everyone everywhere.

The two do not equate. I'd be more willing to accept that the trailer was cut from earlier footage that hadn't had the ad digitally replaced due to a rush - I know for certain they do a lot of sign replacing digitally now rather than mock up a physical new one, but even that's a massive stretch.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Xibanya posted:

They would never do that (even though I think it's a good idea too) because handydoc was already the valeyard in a comic book and I doubt they would take a major plot point from a comic published years ago.

Why not? Big Finish and the show share plot lines all the time, which is even stranger when you consider that Big Finish needs approval from the boys in charge for their scripts and yet there's some blatant stuff. The first time it jumped out at me, the Eight Doctor had to completely wipe Charley's mind and remove all memory of the Doctor, or else she would die. Donna Noble style, done the same year (technically a few months ahead of the S4 finale). There's a dozen other examples for all the other doctors. The BBC/powers that be don't seem to care.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I guess there was nothing to that picture of McGann on the TARDIS set besides just visiting then. After seeing a season with Capaldi, I'd kill for an Eight/Twelve episode. They're the perfect sort of Yin/Yang I think.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I don't know whether to laugh or cry if the plot comes down to "Missy really was on the path to redemption, but Simm-Master shows up and screws it up"

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

There was that weird rumour about both the 13th and 14th Doctors showing up in the Xmas special...?

The weird rumor that only came from Prior Marcus, who was demonstrably making poo poo up for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Burkion posted:

It's almost like the role of the Doctor is a unique thing in acting and history, and shouldn't be devalued by replacing the actors once the original has passed away.

But no, he's being a character that he shouldn't be.

I know Doctor Who fandom is kinda the lowest rung on the slimy, diseased ladder that is fandom, but that's some crazy crap right there. Unique? Shouldn't be?

Doctor Who is not sacrosanct and certainly not unique.

• Locked thread