Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think this was pretty much a shoe in that Smith was going to leave. He's out in a couple of years, his profile is rising, and he's entering his 30s. Don't want to be typecast as the Doctor as he wants to continue his acting career.

He was great in the role and its a shame to see him go especially with what Moffat gave him to work with in the last half season.

I think the next doctor is probably going to be an older guy as an intermediate step to the next next Doctor.

I hope he's leaving on good terms though as opposed to behind the scenes stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think it's allowable in that context.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Donna would be lovely to come back.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah I don't think that's really Rose. Maybe just a physical manifestation of Bad Wolf/Heart of the Tardis/Whatever trying to correct what the Hurt Doctor did maybe.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Where's my Eccleston :qq:
He kind of feels out of place to the manic energy exhibited by Tennant and Smith, oddly enough. He was his own kind of eccentric.

I'm sure they're going to address the whole, "I'm a future Doctor thing" to Tennant, but he doesn't seem to be too upset about it (which his death really bothered him in the show) except that brief moment, 'I'd like to know where we're going..'

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Does anyone else hope the Time War is resolved in such a way that'll allow them to contribute more to stories? I think would be neat for Capaldi Doctor to have a long-running singular villain to break up the creature of the week stuff. Preferably a Time Lord.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mooseontheloose posted:

It was good but I really am not digging the whole missing Doctor concept.
Let the Re-Numbering begin? :getin:

Cause Hurt Doctor seems to have started out as 'The Doctor', wonder when he does that bad thing he shouldn't do if they don't count him anymore.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If anything else, a back shot with a double in garb and they play an audio clip of 'Fantastic.' Something along those lines.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Chairman Capone posted:

It was awesome to see McGann again, and even more to hear the Big Finish companions named, something which I would have thought was even less likely than seeing McGann again. But I do think 8 now has almost as ignominious a death as 7.
With how coldly Smith reacted to the Hurt Doctor, it's funny he doesn't feel that way towards McGann (that we know of), because it was his moment of weakness that spawned a version of himself that did terrible things although he may have had good intentions in doing so.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A post 50th mini-sode before Matt Smith's last episode? His Final Day.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yes. The Christmas Special is the last Matt Smith episode.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

His voice is in it. Or his likeness is in it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

DirtyRobot posted:

Hurt regenerates into Capaldi, 9, 10, and 11 are simply erased from existence.
That's actually an interesting hypothesis. If Capaldi doctor is a new 'cycle' of regeneration, then Hurt doc can regenerate into Capaldi and Matt Smith is the end of that 'cycle' while simultaneously being the same person.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tom Baker said he was in it like a week ago.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This was in the Mirror today, believe at your own peril, etc.

quote:

Doctor Who will face the end of a 50 year story in the Christmas special - when Time Lord Matt Smith reveals he is actually the 13th and 'final' Doctor.

Actor Matt, 31, has long thought to have been the Eleventh Doctor on the hit BBC sci-fi show, which can only regenerate 12 times according to the show's folklore. Fans have worried for years that the show will have to end once the 13th Doctor dies.

But on December 25, current theories among millions of fans will be exterminated once and for all when Matt says in a dramatic speech he is the 13th Doctor and adds: "I'm dying and there is nothing I can do about it."

On Saturday night at the end of the show's 50th anniversary special, all the Doctors lined up, including John Hurt who was previously not thought to count. David Tennant's Time Lord also used up an extra regeneration to save himself in an episode called Journey's End.

A show source explained: "There have been two David Tennant Doctor Whos technically and with John Hurt playing another Doctor in the film, it basically means he can't regenerate again.

"The riddle of the regeneration problem, something fans have talked about for decades, will be faced head on at Christmas. There is going to be another huge cliffhanger and somehow Peter Capaldi has to join and the series has to continue.

"The show's big fans, known as Whovians, won't believe their eyes at Christmas."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It is possible that 11 didn't know the Capaldi doc was there.

It's all kind of vague.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kevos Setzer posted:

We still don't know what caused the Tardis to go boom, do we?
Maybe when 11 dies, the Tardis goes with him, only to come back with Capaldi.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maera Sior posted:

Moffat has a poor track record when it comes to showing "ALL THE ENEMIES ARE HERE OH NO"(Pandorica excepted), so I'm not exactly hopeful that this one will be much better.
It's interesting he keeps reusing that element though of all the baddies teaming up. Like that's his only idea of how to raise the stakes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like the wooden Cyberman. Is The Doctor holding a Dalek plunger?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I guess the trap is to kill him while he's in regeneration? Like.. Lake Silencio?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Things can be judged independently of themselves. It's great that the Anniversary Special was good, but that doesn't mean anything either way for the Christmas special. It isn't anything exclusive to the Doctor Who fandom.

I hope it's a good story because regeneration stories tend to be good in my opinion, but I thought Series 7 was bad so my faith is tepid at best where the Anniversary Special is the lone good blimp surrounded by badness.

Also, I don't know if people have talked about it - but Series 8 will air in August of next year without interruption.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's Wilfred. We all know it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

PantsOptional posted:

That's not what I'm getting from that, unless they're annoyingly calling him "Who" rather than "The Doctor."
They are.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Where did the Easter special rumor originate? Looking around for it, I saw some 'spoilers' written by someone who says a McGann/Capaldi multi Doctor 2 part episode is coming too.

Which is hilarious because Moffat would never do a two parter!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The concept of a regenerating companion would be neat. Only if that companion wasn't River Song. The concept was almost there. I feel like it would be a bit dark for Doctor Who though - to have a companion die every episode or every other episode to force a regeneration. Or maybe an alien who mimics regeneration as part of their race, so it could happen without trauma.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seems like they're bringing back Strax, Jenny, and all that gang.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When looking at his full body of work, RTD can really shine. Its easy to target the season 3 finale and the last 10th doctor special. I compare this to Moffat whom I feel a large portion of his time as show runner has been sub par. To me, and I usually always say this, Series 5 might be the best of the whole revival and then it has just been downhill from there. He hung on to Amy and River for too long and the plots with them just felt forced and he has still failed to develop Clara as anything more than quirky precious girl.

I can't blame him for dreaming big and wanting all of these interweaving storylines and such - but the payoff never feels satisfying enough. I thought series 6 was abysmal all the way through.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Really digging the Dracula coat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm okay with the new character information at face value. If it's just a teacher who happens to teach at this school, that's fine. I just can't shake the Moffat doubt that the school is going to have some sort of secret or hidden agenda that they've always operated as friends of the Doctor as some organization throughout history and blah blah blah, insert long speech by that turkey from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Just let a teacher be a teacher, nothing more.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The rumor of a two Doc special was around as of like six months ago, iirc. Hopefully that picture will make it true.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's the building from The Silence of the Library where River Song exists in VR land of course. River Song.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Why does everything have to be a big cliffhanger mystery. Why can't you just solve a story in one season.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bring back bad Time Lords and other villains. Put Daleks Angels Sontarans and Cybermen on the bench.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Barry Foster posted:

I'm 100% sure that's exactly who it is, yeah.

The Daleks are meant to turn up in the first couple of episodes, so presumably the new, scary Doctor's gonna go all medieval on them and Dalek Cameron will be all like 'good, feel the hatred flowing through you'. Then, no doubt, Capaldi will throw his lightsaber away at the end of the episode and say 'no, I remember now - I am the Doctor, like that guy before me, and he never would', and that'll be that.

This is exactly what's going to happen.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

These are all completely legit? Who is getting fired

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My voodoo dolls all for naught. I really wish a new writer would have taken over with Capaldi. He's going to be caught in these same bad episodes that Smith had to endure the final 2 years when Moffat ran out of good ideas.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Capaldi is a one series Doctor, regenerates to a baby face to win Clara over

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've just accepted this is the thread for people who dislike the show and just want the spoiler information as soon as possible to know if it's worth the time to invest in it, or to lessen the blow of seeing the final product. There are people who genuinely like it in the other thread, and that's cool too, but the dissenting opinions don't mesh too well at times.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The episodes leaked too? Not just the scripts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Clara is really the Doctor's mother.

• Locked thread