Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nooooooooooooo, Matt Smith don't go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hollis posted:

People would poo poo their pants if it was a previous companion. So I say no on that end but it would be so amazing for Doctor Who to be a woman it just fits with the theme of the show.

Back a few years ago one of the more wtf rumors was that Billie Piper could be Eleven. I wouldn't mind a female Doctor though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think the "controversial" thing is going to be having the First Doctor involved in some way. Controversial because it's obviously a recast version.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

All the reports are definitely making me think that they are going to finish Eleven in the 50th, and have the Christmas special introduce the new doctor.

I don't want him to go. :(

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Probably but we at least get some Matt Smith in the Xmas ep.

I'm thinking we won't, the 50th will probably see Matts exit.

Riptor posted:

that is exactly what I want to have happen, but it's not going to unfortunately

I'd love a couple of specials with the first Doctor (played by Bradley) and Tennant before jumping into 12, definitely won't happen though. For a show based around time travel it would be the closest the audience could get to experiencing it themselves to see new adventures involving those doctors. Not crossovers, just unseen adventures being broadcast (like live action audio books)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shabaz posted:

Possible seasons 8 spoiler: I've seen some rumours that []Hurt is part of season 8 (i.e. this and a deleted Hurt tweet}[/]. No idea how that would work in terms of story and I don't really want to know yet, but the possibility of having []two acting heavyweights like Capaldi and Hurt act alongside each other[/spoiler] in some episodes excites me tremendously.

Don't use spoiler tags in the spoiler thread. - Aatrek

Don't think it's gonna happen and hope its not because I want to see Capaldi as the Doctor, but would be a great piece of misdirection if Capaldi was just a decoy who played along because he's such a big fan of the show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

When the bbc first announced Tennant was coming back they just tweeted an image of him right after losing rose where he had the hair down. So this MIGHT be in between the period where he loses Rose and then burns up a star, or it might just be me over thinking things.

Rose is in this, so it will be before that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Daric posted:

Hey, I finally caught up so now I can read this thread!

If you cared about being spoiled why would you ever come into a spoiler thread?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

I wonder if, as a kid, David Tennant wanted the 5th Doctor to be his dad. You know, like a lot of little kids want their role figures to be their parents.

I wonder how proud ChildTennant is that adulthim made that happen.

Even better is that Tennants kid has The Doctor as both his father and grandfather,

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would have been happy if they'd brought Donna back as a companion for Matt. It would have been glorious watching the two of them playfully bicker with each other.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Harlock posted:

He kind of feels out of place to the manic energy exhibited by Tennant and Smith, oddly enough. He was his own kind of eccentric.

I'm sure they're going to address the whole, "I'm a future Doctor thing" to Tennant, but he doesn't seem to be too upset about it (which his death really bothered him in the show) except that brief moment, 'I'd like to know where we're going..'

Knowing that you will die some day is different to actually reaching the day of your death.

I wonder if they'll incorporate Capaldi at all. Obviously not as an acting role, but perhaps a brief glimpse at some point when 11 is celebrating their inevitable victory, showing that his time will end as well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's a nice little explanation as well for why regeneration is a lot more violent and unpredictable now than it was in the original run. When the glow starts coming out of his hands you can see that Eight is a little bit wtf about it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

But doesnt the master and river song regenerate that way too

I thought about that, and eventually decided gently caress it, maybe the rules around regeneration were changed during the Time War to make Time Lords better able to fight in it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If it was a war across all time and space I suspect it would have varied in which species noticed it or not. Hell, Earth itself was probably blown up countless times as part of the war, with things being undone and redone over and over. Odd people around the place remembering pockets of timelines that now never happened, cause and effect being hosed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

It was the Dickens episode, I think. One of the ghost creatures mentions it.

I also noticed that at least in the Eccleston season it's mentioned several times that the Time Lords and Daleks are remembered as distant legends, which suggests that they still 'existed' but only in the distant past in comparison to the 'present' of the universe.

I never saw it as distant past so much as their still being echos of the Daleks and Time Lords scattered across the universe.

In the Time War it was chaos, total war with the close to godlike powers of Gallifrey and a fully grown Dalek Empire. When the Time Lock was put in place it was the time travel equivalent of a nuclear strike, and removed the Daleks and Time Lords from all of existence. The universe pulled together and the gaps were smoother over, all direct signs of them gone. However their shadows remained. Signs of things the Time Lords and Daleks had done still existing, but no matter how hard you looked, or how much you travelled back in time you would never be able to encounter the cause that resulted in those effects.

I'm dumping all this stuff out now because I firmly expect it to be contradicted in Day of the Doctor, so it's nice to get some last minute speculation in.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Teek posted:

Might be interesting if 8 regenerated on purpose, knowing he needed a harder edge regeneration to handle the Time War.

Looking on the first page, spotted this post from back in May. Well done Teek!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I assumed the Paradox Machine kept those monsters locked out of the continuum.

That would have been a potentially great alternative to the Jesus Doc ending, rather than the satellite network and peoples thoughts being used to turn him into Jesus Doc, the paradox machine is disabled and those creatures swoop in, clearing up all the Masters mess.

Chairman Capone posted:

But this isn't the only way that problem has come up. Eccleston talked about being able to sense that there were no Time Lords left in existence. Yet just a few years from them a whole planet of them shows back up for at least a bit, not to mention the Master spent a few years of his own time dicking around the Utopia ship with Lucy Saxon and his robot sphere friends. And that's even taking into account that the Master was somehow able to jam his Time Lord essence during his time on Earth by using the cell phone network, which always seemed pretty dumb to me.

Thinking very four dimensionally!

All those future appearances happened as a result of the Doctors actions in his own personal future. Barring exceptional circumstances (or it being a Moffat penned episode) The Doctor seems to at least avoid and possibly be prevented from knowledge of his own future actions. So while Gallifrey was going to temporarily re-appear in the future, it hadn't yet reappeared in the future until The Doctor reached that point in his own personal timeline.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

To be honest, I always thought it was kind of weak that the destruction of Gallifrey meant that all the Time Lords died. Were none of them off world at the time? That seems odd, especially since they were in the middle of a war that spanned all of time and space.

They haven't ever said it was just the destruction of Gallifrey though have they?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

"I was Doctor Who before I got it and I remained Doctor Who since I did it," said Tom Baker. "There wasn't much difference except apart from the miraculous aspect of being able to disappear and reappear, apart from the mechanical dog and beautiful assistants and Daleks -- it was very much like my life."
Looking forward to the cinema losing its poo poo if/when he appears onscreen.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So Capaldi will almost certainly have an arc about seeking out Gallifrey. If they bring Gallifrey back entirely I wonder how they will avoid the Time War simply resuming. Maybe it stays hidden away in a pocket universe?

With the brief clip for the Christmas special mentioning Trenzalore I wonder how it will be dealt with.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was suspecting something like that, another Moffat style resolution to the fact that we have seen the Doctors grave and it seems to be Smiths. That time rip is probably where he dies, then somehow gets a new set of regeneration cycles. So he goes on but his previous chain is ended.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quakster posted:

At least they don't gently caress their Dalek-plushies.

I was gonna call you naive, but after a Google search with the plan of finding something to prove you wrong I couldn't find anything!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

The last few years haven't been too kind on Matt Smith. Whether that's down to generally getting older, the workload, or excessive partying (I hear from someone who works on the show that they all do a lot of partying), who knows.

Since his first season Matt Smith has definitely looked a lot more human.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

It doesn't really make sense that River ever had regenerations in the first place so I guess I can forgive them for taking those away from her in a manner that also didn't make a lot of sense. Maybe she slipped on a time banana and her regenerations fell into Romana, so she could waste them all trying on a bunch of faces.

In a very special Christmas episode of Doctor Who, the real world debate over stem cell research is explored as the Doctor discovers a way to get more generations - have his companions get pregnant in the TARDIS and then eat the babies.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

toochilled posted:

This.

I love the idea of a wooden Cyberman, but the execution leaves a lot wanting.

Sub-par effects in Doctor Who? Verity must be rolling in her grave.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Whenever I see Cyberman or Dalek facilities I get a really strong urge to see the architects and construction crews at work building them. How does a Dalek even build things?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Now that we know he's the final regeneration, maybe that's what he saw? Maybe when he opened that door, he saw 12 dead Doctors instead of 10, and that confirmed what he was afraid of, that he is the last one.

Just a shot in the dark.

That would be cool if it turned out that Matt Smiths interpretation of that scene actually made sense, I don't think it needs revisiting though.

Since someone mentioned, we have seen Clara's parents before, at least younger versions, Remember the whole business with the leaf.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

He does yeah.

However, I really don't know why people still use series in that sense. Season makes way more loving sense.

Even in America the word series is used in that sense when referring to sports.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nah.Yup.

River.

Fixed for maximum Moffatness.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kazy posted:

No it wouldn't have because the Daleks aren't robots :argh: If I delete someone off my phone, I might not be able to remember their number but I certainly wouldn't forget who they were entirely.

I'm still wary of the amnesia plot line, but hopefully my fears will be unfounded.

It doesn't really work for the Daleks that were above the Asylum planet and actively forgot him, but it makes a sort of sense that most Daleks wouldn't know who the Doctor is or have ever had any contact with him. It's just that when meeting him some database triggers and informs them to kill this man right now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've seen a couple of people mention a new control room, but it's the same one as Elevens later years isn't it? Is the idea just that they are going to personalise it more with random stuff added around the place?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

As someone else once said, Moffatt writes a good female character.

Unfortunately all the characters are her, so it kind of loses the appeal after a while.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Who SPOILERS: Welcome, to Jurassic Barf

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Who SPOILERS: I wear a face now, faces are cool

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The ninth Doctor run explained it well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Shadoer posted:

My personal review of all 5 of the scripts

Episode 2: 0/5 Rating

Summary:
The Doctor is shrunk in size along with Clara and a team of expendable humans. Their mission is to go and repair a Dalek who's good and damaged. They succeed, but the repairs make the Dalek evil again. The Doctor then manages to make the Dalek good again, and the Dalek goes off to kill a bunch of Daleks. Oh and apparently the entire Galaxy, possibly the universe, is fighting a massive Dalek invasion that threatens to destroy all creation but the threat of a new Dalek Empire and the Doctor doing something about it doesn't seem to come into play.

Review:
Wow this script is friggen awful. It's like the writers went "ok Episode 1 has some really dark moments, so Episode 2 should be lighter. We need the Daleks in really quick so... lets do an episode where we miniaturize the Doctor and send him inside a Dalek! Then we can be dark, quirky, and have daleks."

You have the Doctor acting like an outright sociopath where the only people he legitimately tries to save are himself, Clara, and the Dalek. Not the humans though who aren't Clara, they're expendable. Then you have the idiotic premise of the episode where they make a huge deal about the idea of turning Daleks good and how it's the one real shot at stopping the massive Dalek invasion happening, they find out that all that's keeping the Daleks evil is their cybernetic parts which purges memories that would make them good, and then it's all "well see you later." "Good luck with that losing war with the Daleks so the Daleks can destroy all life in the Galaxy then start rebuilding their doomsday device to destroy all of reality. Me and Clara have sexy adventures to go on."

I'd go as far as to say this script reads like someone's bad fan fiction they wrote and no one had the heart to tell them it wasn't that great. It's crap, it's terrible, I can't seem them pulling this off and making it work without some incredible acting.

Actual filmed episode, one of the best Dalek episodes in the last few years.

I didn't read the script, were there any changes or was it just really well filmed?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

I've only skim read the first script and watched a couple bits of the first episode, but is he an unrepentant arsehole 100% of the time? Even the grumpy Doctors like Hartnell or Eccleston were usually relatively outgoing, kind and friendly.

I always said that 'Malcolm Tucker in time and space' would be a really lazy direction to go in, and I hope that's not completely the case.

The second episode has a great moment where he asks Clara if he is a good man. He definitely wants to be, but has a shorter temper. Even his putdowns of Clara throughout the episode are presented in the way of him trying to encourage her.

The lines quoted above about boss man and gun girl are a good example. With Matt Smith, the lines would have seemed friendly, with Capaldi they seem dismissive. Without having read any of the scripts, the impression I got from the second episode is that in the Doctors head he is still acting the same as he did pre-regeneration, and doesn't quite get why people are suddenly reacting differently to him.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'll just be happy if they get rid of that flying into the open TARDIS doors thing from the end, I don't know why it bugs me so much but it does every single time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Mummy On The Orient Express

That has to be a callback to the phonecall Eleven got at the end of the Big Bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't think it's something worth getting bugged by, but it's definitely a poor choice to do things like that given that many kids are obsessed with dinosaurs and will know full well how it they were.

• Locked thread