Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mimsy posted:

Don't worry, I'm also constantly always the only one on too. Seems like a lot of people play at completely different times. Also I'm the only person ever doing any kind PVP which is kind of a pain in the butt.

I do Legends a lot, but regular PVP is so ridiculous with the gear that I can't be bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008
I used to do Arenas prior to the recent, massive changes to the PVP gear, so at the moment it all seems fairly balanced and obtainable by comparison.

Although tanks are pretty absurdly OP at the present time.

Mimsy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 2, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The incompetence of some of the players in this game is astounding (somewhat owing to the game not really teaching you anything). Yesterday I was in a group with a controller who never built power and a healer who never healed. Their response? "Go DPS!" This made Ace Chemicals, a fairly easy alert, go on interminably. The last time I played Ace Chemicals, Chemo got literally 1 barrel back total during the boss fight. This time he got about 39.

I've gotten a bit into world/arena PVP and am finding that yes, it's either about ruthlessly terrorizing lowbie characters or being geared. I have actually had several situations where I get into a scrap with another 30 who is guarding a lowbie leveling area, only for him to grow bored and fly away when we discovered we couldn't really hurt each other.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
I have been trying to find goons who play this for a while a now, I have had everyone on my friends list and never see anyone on. Going to be on for a few hours on Brotacular if anyone else will be on.

Edit: Also has anyone been having latency issues since the update? None of my attacks register until 5-10 seconds afterwards and I keep getting downed/hit by enemies that aren't there.

KonMari DeathMetal fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 2, 2013

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
no, my attacks register immediately.

logging on for a few hours myself. got pizza coming soon.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
My wife and I are going to hit 30 in the next day or so -- where do we go from there in terms of progression? We're Terrible Players (tm) but would like to group up with anyone who wants warm bodies to play with! We're around as UnavailableName and Thuraya -- mentalist and fire, respectively.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

in general you want to run alerts/duos and go around collecting exos/feats/styles/etc. you obtain marks and gear from dungeons. use the marks to buy tier gear and run more raids.

that's progression in this game. as for being terrible, honestly, you should be fine as long as you memorize the gigantic "gently caress me Traps" in the game and avoid accordingly.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Farming for the collections required for the SCU head style is the worst

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Spaceman Bill posted:

Farming for the collections required for the SCU head style is the worst

I'm not gonna lie: the collections can be some of the neatest little fanservice at times, but actually completing them is MISERABLE, especially when I suspect at least one person is just bum-rushing with the cash-shop "collection finder" item to keep snagging them from one area and put a drop on the market over and over.

And god help you if you're trying to finish a couple of them in Metropolis (or South Gotham after you hit 30), because UGH.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The worst part is that you can keep getting the poo poo you already found, which is just a huge gently caress you. They really need to lock out poo poo you already have from both Collections AND the Vault, because what the gently caress.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Vault is the real killer there, holy poo poo. I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE GORILLATECH HELMETS EVER. At least collections can be resold for a couple of bucks to people too lazy to look for their own. Toss anything up for 100-200 and it's almost a guaranteed sell.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Vault is the real killer there, holy poo poo. I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE GORILLATECH HELMETS EVER. At least collections can be resold for a couple of bucks to people too lazy to look for their own. Toss anything up for 100-200 and it's almost a guaranteed sell.

Anyone who pays for collections instead of trawling over the city for the millionth time is the real winner.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I just do a run once a month or so for exobits, and grab collectables while I'm at it. Not really that hard if you're doing one of the two already. Hell, the yellow orbs are easier to pick out than the tiny glowing dots that don't always load in for you to see them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I just do a run once a month or so for exobits, and grab collectables while I'm at it. Not really that hard if you're doing one of the two already. Hell, the yellow orbs are easier to pick out than the tiny glowing dots that don't always load in for you to see them.

I get collections I already have about 75% of the time in Gotham and I am exobit farming pretty consistently. Doing this all over again on an alt would be a loving nightmare.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Briefings aren't so bad, though. I have a neat scarecrow mask on my yellow lantern from a few sets.

Am I a bad person if I want to go ice DPS just so I can shoot ice beams like Captain Cold?

pew pew brrrrrr

P.S. does anyone wanna trade for a Daring Vigilante chest piece? I'm not Legendary so I can't afford to auction it but I'm a sucker for keys (see: TF2) and I'm more after Zealot/Mercenary pieces or a gold aura to seal my insufferable Yellow Lantern Scarecrow ripoff

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 5, 2013

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

hate to doublepost but just realized the daring vigilante head has little ear nubs and oh my god it looks just like Adam West Batman

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008
We all suffer endlessly at the hands of terrible pubbies that have no idea what the hell they are doing. The time this irritates me the most is when I get paired up with a hero in 2v2 arenas, whenever the other guy on the team is a hero something happens that gives me the impression my teammate just got done eating lead paint chips, he's in PVE armor, uses nothing but iconic powers, can't figure out how to hold a control node or something similar. With the villain side a totally incompetent teammate seems pretty unusual, it happens sometimes, but normally if you lose it's because the other team just played better than you or because of a huge gear gap.

For that reason I've resolved to annoy heroes more often. From now on I promise to dedicate some of my time every time I log in to being that asshat killing people for no reason while they try and do things in the world.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Spaceman Bill posted:

hate to doublepost but just realized the daring vigilante head has little ear nubs and oh my god it looks just like Adam West Batman

Get the cape for it. It's literally the Adam West batman cape with the small little triangles instead of the stylized arches.

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008
There's actually an Adam West style cape that drops from the temple of crime challenge. These days you can make yourself look pretty damned close to whichever batman incarnation you like.

Mimsy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 6, 2013

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

INCREDIBLE

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home

Mimsy posted:

There's actually an Adam West style cape that drops from the temple of crime challenge. These days you can make yourself look pretty damned close to whichever batman incarnation you like.

The whole suit is totally Stephanie Brown but it'd take forever to collect. gently caress.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I would seriously pay like $50 real money right now on top of my subscription and other purchases for them to convert Acrobatics or make some new movement style that was basically a Spiderman 2 webslinging with grapples or whatever. Hell, even if it was simplified like Ultimate Spidey or Spiderman 3, I'd still take it, the cities are superbly designed for it.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Fuzz posted:

I would seriously pay like $50 real money right now on top of my subscription and other purchases for them to convert Acrobatics or make some new movement style that was basically a Spiderman 2 webslinging with grapples or whatever. Hell, even if it was simplified like Ultimate Spidey or Spiderman 3, I'd still take it, the cities are superbly designed for it.

Even if they copied Champions Online grappling power. Batman never flew, he grappled. :colbert:

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home
Acrobatics used to be able to grapple while in combat and then they took it away because?

There's almost no advantage to it that I can think of. Flight is too advantageous and Superspeed has a really good ability. I still really like being an acro though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Duet posted:

Acrobatics used to be able to grapple while in combat and then they took it away because?

There's almost no advantage to it that I can think of. Flight is too advantageous and Superspeed has a really good ability. I still really like being an acro though.

I still grapple in combat all the time? :confused:

But yeah, the ziplines are lame and just not as cool as swinging around would be. The jetpack is hands down the easiest way to search for collectibles/exobytes, though... you can fly forward and turn while looking straight down and scanning rooftops... way better than Flight. I can't deal with Flight because once you get pushing into combat mode you move SLOW AS gently caress and it's just painful to try to get away, especially in the interior instances since you can't even just fly straight up until you're out of range.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I'm actually very satisfied with my acrobatics. it makes travel between buildies very fast and I love the zipline alot more than I would webslinging just for the sound it makes.

also, gonna focus on my hero for a while.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Do we have a Hero league? I have a Green Lantern that needs a home.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

someone had one but I like to mingle with the randoms.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Heroes" are stupid and I will decapitate them with the badge of my office, Blutkrieg's unbreakable Shield of the Fourth Reich.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

They added energy weapon styles in green (yay) and red (what)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/please-lockouts-on-things-you-already-have.158374/

I made a thing, if you guys that agree (aka ALL OF YOU :argh:) can hop in and say so, maybe keep it more visible. This is just ridiculous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spaceman Bill posted:

They added energy weapon styles in green (yay) and red (what)

Took them long enough.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Fuzz posted:

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/please-lockouts-on-things-you-already-have.158374/

I made a thing, if you guys that agree (aka ALL OF YOU :argh:) can hop in and say so, maybe keep it more visible. This is just ridiculous.

I shall tapdance my way into it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I picked this up fairly recently and have been enjoying it well enough to have bought the Green Lantern DLC and consider the Ultimate Edition thing. It's vaguely scratching an itch City of Heroes left and I'm liking it more than GW2 or Neverwinter by a good margin. I just wish that it wasn't so withholding of information. As a newbie I feel very much like I'm adrift in a mature game that doesn't want to explain much to someone starting out. The power choices, the gear and stat choices, I feel like I'm making choices without any real idea of what the consequences are. Is there a good, accurate starter guide somewhere? Even if there's not, at least roaming around the streets with Acrobatics is some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?forums/oracle%E2%80%99s-database-guides.16/
^that's about as close as you'll get. alternatively, asking their board for information works well enough. they're usually pretty nice.

feel free to ask us info if you have questions, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

:psyduck:

I loving hate this game's official forums community. Good lord.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

it's a pretty mixed bag, I'll admit.

I like'em but they're a bit dense on some things.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Could be worse. They could never, ever, ever capitalize any sentences ever unless they start with 'I'. That would be the worst.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

nehezir posted:

I like'em but they're a bit dense on some things.

I've never seen any communities that get quite so "gently caress you, got mine/nobody should ever have it nicer than I did no matter what stupidity I have to defend" than MMOs. Period. And CoX closing seems to have sent a lot of the worst of these scattering to every superhero game possible. (Absolutely no offense, rantmo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Could be worse. They could never, ever, ever capitalize any sentences ever unless they start with 'I'. That would be the worst.
now I just feel awful.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I've never seen any communities that get quite so "gently caress you, got mine/nobody should ever have it nicer than I did no matter what stupidity I have to defend" than MMOs. Period. And CoX closing seems to have sent a lot of the worst of these scattering to every superhero game possible. (Absolutely no offense, rantmo.)

MMO players are kinda stupid like that. that's why I like DCUO, it for the most part does away with alot of the bullshit several other games commit.

• Locked thread