Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

That might actually get me going again, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If I sub now for a month will I get an extra?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Looks like DCUO got a poo poo ton of changes and new power sets since the last time I played it 3-4 years ago. I'm an all-access player anyway so I figure I might as well claim my freebies.

Quantum, Celestial, Rage, Atomic and Munitions all didn't exist when I played. Nor did Water but that doesn't appear to be released yet?

Are any of them particularly interesting to play? Or abnormally powerful/weak compared to other sets?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's worth noting that there's a stat revamp in the works. They are going to change basically everything about how powers work and how stats work. Here's some basic info about it. I'm more or less waiting for this change to happen before I dive back in.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Quantum is loving dope, last time I played it was consistently top 3 for dps, celestial is good, munitions kinda sucks and rage is meh. Really though you should just play quantum and own stuff

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

This could be interesting. I got one guy to Level 30 and then kinda felt like I didn't have anything interesting to do. I kept getting squashed by all those team-up events you're supposed to try and do, and running around collecting those fragment things to then go to the little factories and build boring things seemed... well, boring. You had to pay for all the episode content and I didn't want to do that... I didn't really understand the build-out/build-up process, I guess, or whatever that machine in my apartment was supposed to be for, bla bla I'm not an MMORPG guy usually, but I like DC stuff.

Maybe if I bump Mr. Fight all the way to 100, things will look a little different.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Steve Vader posted:

This could be interesting. I got one guy to Level 30 and then kinda felt like I didn't have anything interesting to do. I kept getting squashed by all those team-up events you're supposed to try and do, and running around collecting those fragment things to then go to the little factories and build boring things seemed... well, boring. You had to pay for all the episode content and I didn't want to do that... I didn't really understand the build-out/build-up process, I guess, or whatever that machine in my apartment was supposed to be for, bla bla I'm not an MMORPG guy usually, but I like DC stuff.

Maybe if I bump Mr. Fight all the way to 100, things will look a little different.

That's where a lot of people die out in this game, because they constructed the progression poorly. You need little or no knowledge of how anything works before 30, and then suddenly blocking, close teamwork, and proper combos become very important.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I think I'll make a Quantum and Celestial with my free boosts since they seem both good and thematically interesting to me.

And when water comes out, it will be an endless deluge of trump jokes.

Any advice on what weapons to use? Or other things I should be choosing?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 12, 2017

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This is great. Thanks for the heads up. I love my Celestial (though my green/yellow light ones are my favorites) as either a healer or a DPS. It's kind of a combination between light and traditional (there are connections you can do through just one attack, but it's better to mix it up).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly, I feel like the only person playing this game that dressed for success.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Tsurupettan posted:

I think I'll make a Quantum and Celestial with my free boosts since they seem both good and thematically interesting to me.

And when water comes out, it will be an endless deluge of trump jokes.

Any advice on what weapons to use? Or other things I should be choosing?

hand blasters are good for building up power quickly. one handers are p good for melee, as well as dual wield. Really just pick one that you like the combos for

Brawling is great too

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 12, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I enjoyed bow when I played because of the air juggling.

Looking at that high level stats revamp post, am I wrong in understanding that sticking to a single weapon will be possible after it is done? I know one of the issues that bothered me was that it was to your detriment to not tap into 2-3 other weapons besides the one you started with.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Shield is fun and good.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Fuzz posted:

Shield is fun and good.

yeah I have no idea how strong it is in relation to the other weapons but its badass as gently caress so yeah I agree, go shield

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

OH. The free advance is to CR100. Not Level 100. That is less impressive.

vvv Where do the levels stop? For some reason I was thinking you could get all the way up into the 150s and such with all the fancy suits you can buy in the Watchtower and such. It's been a while since I played.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 12, 2017

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Steve Vader posted:

OH. The free advance is to CR100. Not Level 100. That is less impressive.

There is no level 100.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Can you still on pick like 2 or 3 colours for you character

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

doctor 7 posted:

Can you still on pick like 2 or 3 colours for you character

Thankfully they've moved forward with this.

You can pick 4 :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As far as weaponry, I enjoy the staff on my current guy because it looks cool and it is very easy to do stuns with it. Hand blast plays really fun and is powerful.

JuffoWup posted:

I enjoyed bow when I played because of the air juggling.

Looking at that high level stats revamp post, am I wrong in understanding that sticking to a single weapon will be possible after it is done? I know one of the issues that bothered me was that it was to your detriment to not tap into 2-3 other weapons besides the one you started with.

The reason you pick other weapons is not to take them, but to take advantageous passive bonuses, which is still a thing.

Loot drops have been greatly liberalized, such that you can now pick out of a selection of drops and not worry about rolling on the same loving vendor trash run after run. It only took me about an hour of play to go from CR 100 to CR 105 (i.e. got six equipment drops). Previous to this new system, that was quite difficult.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Steve Vader posted:

vvv Where do the levels stop? For some reason I was thinking you could get all the way up into the 150s and such with all the fancy suits you can buy in the Watchtower and such. It's been a while since I played.

Levels stop at 30, then its pure gear.

Also, about Hand Blasts, I'd say its the least interesting of the weapons visually, except maybe Brawling. All the other ones look really drat good though. You can respec your weapons whenever, so its not a big deal. The only thing you will never get back is the single skill point in the weapon you chose at character creation, but skill points are essentially infinite so its nothing to fret about. Eventually you can max out more than one weapon just cuz (and because maxing out weapons gives passive bonuses)

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 13, 2017

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i think this game is primed for goon renaissance :goonsay:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's kind of weird trying to come back to this game and reading how to build a character now when that's going to completely change soon

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I've been playing it with my younger brother.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Percelus posted:

i think this game is primed for goon renaissance :goonsay:

I've always wondered how this game turned out
I played it in the beginning as some sorta ice bow villain. It was kinda fun but I had no clue what was going on.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Inzombiac posted:

I've always wondered how this game turned out
I played it in the beginning as some sorta ice bow villain. It was kinda fun but I had no clue what was going on.

It's not bad, the new powers are fun but grinding skill points is tedious as gently caress and takes forever now. And last I played at least there was a CR range that was really difficult to get past, like 110 or 114 or something. Was really annoying.

Once you reach the upper tier of a certain set of raids you're basically forced to just grind easy poo poo over and over unless you use replay badges. Maybe its different if you have a league to carry you though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Clearly the answer to this is get a league back together

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Blockhouse posted:

Clearly the answer to this is get a league back together

Can we call it Thin Lizzy?

We even have a theme song! Can blast that constantly through proximity voice chat.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
DCUO is still hands-down my favorite MMO. The game world isn't as big as others, but PVP is fun and I like superhero games. poo poo is now getting real that Darkseid and the Antimonitor are showing up. You can also buy a boost to CR 100 now for 2500 daybreak points.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I started up a Legion on Villain side to gently caress around with my brother. I named it Nob Gobblers and I'm working toward getting a base in the Marina Trench. I don't play often but if I got poked a bunch I'd probably get on more.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The biggest problem with DCUO is the fact that after a certain point you kind of have to do party stuff in order to progress. And the DCUO playerbase is one of the most shittastically toxic ones I've seen.

The game up to the level cap is pretty drat fun. And even past that if you can find decent people to group with. But stay the gently caress away from random queues.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I'm a loner and just use PUG to do my group stuff. I encounter the occasional moron, but usually it's pretty chill. What server are you on? I'm US PC.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i started playing again, on US PC. if enough goons are interested we could start up a legion of goon villain side

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Getting a PS4 made me remember this game exists so I downloaded it on PC and it's fun! Villain side. I've got the first four DLC and some cash, is there anything that's the most worth it to buy with ~1000 Cash Shop Bux?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I don't understand how tiers work. Why not just buy the best equipment?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You are not able to buy equipment of one tier until you have the majority of equipment from the previous tier. Also, you need to make sure you are in the right gear (pve vs pvp).

Mantrain
Sep 11, 2001

I really need to try this game again, always wondered how much they added after I quit a long rear end time ago.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So i have a bunch of SOE points that i foolish bought during a triple points sale back while I was super excited about EQ 3 (lol), so i figure i might try this again. Any must have things i should be spending them on?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Namely 17k points left after buying all the power sets i was missing. Whats a good power set for pvp? should i go hero or villain? I remember heroes always lost back in the day.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's up to taste, really. The hero and villain content is basically identical, with some very minor differences. I can tell you that the hero population is like 4 times as large as the villain population. A big part of the games staying power for me was making a character that I thought looked cool, had a cool name, and had a cool concept. The problem with giving you power recommendations is that the entire combat system is about to completely change in like a month or two during a huge upcoming update, which is what I am personally waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Well poo poo, ok then.

• Locked thread