Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Vermain posted:

Am I gimping myself horribly if I pick up, say, Two-Handed/Electricity? I know healers are generally supposed to go for fast-hitting combo builders, but I love the strong "smash" feeling of Two-Handed.

Slower weapons have easier-to-reach 'tiers' of energy regen, so attack speed shouldn't be an issue when it comes to gaining back power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Considering that most of the playerbase comes form the PS3 version, this is the first MMO for a lot of them. I'd also argue that most players pick this up because of the DC IP and the action combat rather than being an MMO. Combined with the game's poor explanation of certain systems, to the point where you have to rely on forum guides to even learn the basics (which themselves were often unreliable due to lack of mechanics transparency) then you have a lot of clueless players.

On an unrelated note, I hate how DPS are encouraged to empty their power bars all the time to the point where controllers are reduced to walking mana batteries. "Use my weapons for regen? But how do I top the charts if I stop daisy-chaining my expensive powers and wasting them to clip animation times for that extra 1.5% damage?"

I already spent half the time spamming defibrilator when I was endgame teaming a year or two ago but the attitude seems to have gotten much worse now. No one seems to care about debuffs or crowd control anymore, and I loved playing controllers because it meant juggling all of that in a fight. Not spamming a power and occasionally maintaining another power at 25-second intervals.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Gramatik posted:

As I'm getting fairly close to level 30, I'm wondering what you Ice guys are using for your loadouts. I've been following the ice guide on the DCUO forums, but was curious if my fellow goons have deviated from the standard builds in this thread (https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/a-chilly-guide-to-everything-ice.197/#post-1179).

Also, I went Acrobatics / Martial arts and have enjoyed the setup, but I'm confused as to what I should be unlocking for the two. Said guide above doesn't really delve into those aspects too deeply. Basically what I'm wondering is, are there certain abilities which are absolutely must-have for tanking/dps and if so, which?

With weapon trees just take all the active abilities. After that you can start grabbing the passives based on the one role you want to be doing the most (defense/HP for tanks, might/precision/crit for DPS). Also, you might consider grabbing the first node for all the weapons when you start getting enough skill points, just to be able to equip other weapons to help with the style achievement track.

Acrobatics, all you have to worry about is getting the three travel-related nodes up top (rocket glide and the two line abilities) and the five breakout-related ones further down. The active abilities from travel power trees (save for a few select ones for certain roles) are largely useless/flavor so you don't really have to spend points on them.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

That's the default unarmed attack, do you have a weapon equipped that you spent at least a skill point on?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Oh no way, the thing I hated about flight was the constant pulls/interrupts that enemies would throw at you if you were as much as a foot off the ground. I know it's there to keep you from plinking them away safely but it was just ridiculous the time I was playing.

Acrobatics has a half-flight ability that lets you cruise around the city anyway, so gently caress flight.

EDIT: vvv Christ, are people actually manually toggling their travel powers on and off from fight to fight?

jjac fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 1, 2013

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

mastajake posted:

I tend to play both sides fairly equally but still haven't grouped with any goons yet. Well maybe I have, but I wasn't aware. Is there any way to make a group chat channel to make it easier to chat with one another?

You can make a custom chat channel in the options menu. It won't be password protected so any pubbie could hop in, though. I made a Goonsquad one a while back but I guess it didn't stick, so you can either use that or decide on a name that everyone else here can agree on.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I think it's from them catching on that people were stockpiling their SC points from double/triple-point sales and buying all of them, which is a drat shame.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Whenever I have an urge to play or subscribe again, I just load up the official forums, read a few posts and it all fades away. I don't know what it is about the game that attracts the worst of the worst.

Though if what people are saying is true about KEEPING EVERY DLC RELEASED SO FAR, FOREVER even after your subscription lapses, I'd totally plunk down $15 to take advantage of that. Y'all better not be lying though. :mad:

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I just stopped worrying about the DPS' blue bar when I was a controller. Literally nothing bad happens when they run out of energy as opposed to a tank or healer.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

WarLocke posted:

3 DPS, Healer, Controller = if you get 3 bad DPS they are always out of power, so if you dump power the Healer gets none. :emo:

I really wish the developers had decided to actually focus on crowd control instead of changing Controllers into batteries right at the end of beta.

How do you manage to have a group of five anyway? If it's a raid then there's usually a second controller to cover your rear end.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

zeldadude posted:

Thinking nature. Anyone know if they've made the SP grind less annoying or does it still take forever to get to 140 sp to get accepted into the best guilds?

Unless they've updated the game and made your skillpoint count public, you can just flat out lie about it and they won't notice the difference. Really.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Giedroyc posted:

The new structure is rather restrictive but not that fun for Batman/Joker mentored people. Basically they lock you to doing the initial Huntress/Scarecrow mission and then Bane. You can't choose any of the other mentor quests until you're level 15(?) or so. Races give far less XP so if you get stuck on the one early boss that both heals AND has an instant kill (when you don't kill him quickly enough) then you're screwed until you do beat him, or level up by collections. The tour of the HQ mission/R&D/vault/lair missions are all linked to the completion of that quest and won't trigger until it's finished.

Haha, are people actually skipping Bane now? It's hard but only because I'm stubborn and I avoid using soders/supercharges for the cheevos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

doctor 7 posted:

Can you still on pick like 2 or 3 colours for you character

Thankfully they've moved forward with this.

You can pick 4 :v:

• Locked thread