Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

rantmo posted:

I'll say this, when I did finally call, I was back into my account in about four minutes. The guy was super nice and there was no wait. I was shocked but very pleasantly surprised.

SOE has awesome customer support in general, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I really need to get back into this game...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I need to get back into this with my Lightning Healer because drat if he wasn't fun to play.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Flight is so slow when you get hit, though. It's physically painful how slowly you move in general.

And actually, Acrobatics is the easiest to search for Collections with... turn on the jetpack and angle your cam down as you fly over all the buildings. Super easy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I stand by my Ice Tank Villain, Farging Icehole.

Best name. :colbert:

EDIT: Also my Electricity Healer has the greatest power-related name, Electric Slide.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Quick DLC question: I was grandfathered in to Fight for the Light (not sure how that works, the DCUO site doesn't list it on my account but I can definitely make Light characters) and have bought Lightning Strikes, The Battle For Earth and Origin Crisis.

I still have $10 in my Steam wallet. So I could buy one of Home Turf, Hand of Fate, Last Laugh, but Sons of Trigonisn't listed on Steam yet.

I guess I'm asking about the pros/cons of each one if I can only grab one at the moment.

Home Turf is kinda pointless, you need to grind like mad to use any of the base stuff.

Hand of Fate adds the utility belts, which I've only found one of and is sorta neat, but that's about it.

Last Laugh was just PvP, I think? None of them add powersets other than Sons of Trigon, which adds the Holy/Demonic stuff. I forget which it is but I think one of them adds the Shield? Might be Last Laugh. Whichever it is, get that one, because Shields are awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

I believe if you were subbed and had access to shields you keep access if you stop paying, which is really cool of them.

This is correct for everything, powers too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I might make a Celestial since I have an SOE All Access pass and therefore have a sub.

Dunno if anyone else still subs, but if anyone needs me to rest something or whatever, let me know. I'm gonna get back into this starting this week, what Legion are we all in now on PC villain/hero?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Huzzah for Legendary. Gonna whip up a Celestial character tomorrow when I get home. I bet all the good names will already be gone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Wow, the 'community' in this game is an elitist cesspool. I feel dirty wading through the forums.

I originally dived in to see if I cold figure out why one dude was shouting for cr98 people all night for his raid. Why would you need to do that hen there's the on duty interface and you can just queue up for one?

Apparently it's because people only want you in their raid if you already have gear drops from that raid, and that's totally not a circular catch-22. :psyduck:

This game has one of the absolute worst, "gently caress you, got mine," communities in gaming. There are actually people that defend the devs for removing popular styles from merchants and shoving them in the piece of poo poo Vault, saying that certain appearances should be more challenging to get, because back when THEY were playing through low level poo poo it actually meant something to have enough Marks of MacGuffin to buy the thing. :rolleyes:

The community is all about special snowflake-hood. Literally 90% of the people playing high level stuff are the purified scum that has been filtered down over the years. It's awful, and is one of, if not the, worst parts of this game. :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

So I guess the 3AM downtime turned into all-day downtime? My client hangs at server validation. :eng99:
@
I was just playing?

How many Hero PC people are there? I made Quantum and Celestial characters, both on Villain because most goons are there.

Quantum guy is Motherfluxer.

Celestial is Miss Muriel.

If any of you want to friend me, the other characters I actually play are Electric Slide, Farging Icehole, and Bow Derek. All villains.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Holy CRAP the construct combos thing with Light is ridiculous at low levels. I just tear through poo poo. Claw, claw, claw, claw, minigun, staff combo, spikes, claw claw claw.... :black101:

Celestial does the same thing, except with Healing. :psyduck:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I would buy SoT but hell if I could come up with a character for Celestial that isn't some sort of fallen angel cliche thing. At least with Light you have the Lantern Corps right there ready for you and it works in concept because there's a poo poo ton of lanterns all over anyway.

My gal is an acrobatics thug... I see her as some chick that sold her soul to Demons for power.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

mastajake posted:

They're available in Promethium Lockboxes, so........sorry. But there's no green aura anyway.

I could swear I've seen green auras, are you sure?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I have a Light Hero now, too, name is The Slacketeer if any of you play USPC Hero.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

mastajake posted:

I'm not completely sure, no, though I have heard people in chat bitching that there wasn't one and asking why and then people telling them it would allow for blatant rip-offs of some character or something. Also, this website only has blue, dark blue, plasmic, gold, purple, red, and white.

Clearly Yellow Lanterns with Gold Auras are favored. More proof that Villains are best.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

tallian posted:

I'm really liking Nightwing so far. Are there any non-DLC ranged legends dudes tho?

Don't think so. So far my favorite is actually Ursa... she has all the Kryptonian powers, but she's fast.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Do we have a mumble or anything? Because if not I can ask a goon-friend of mine with a server if he'd be willing to host a DCUO channel for us to use.

WarLocke posted:

Were people showing up at low levels to mooch gear or something?

Tweaked my Lantern a bit, I don't have a lot of options at the moment and the look isn't exactly 'canon', but I like it:

And here's one with the Green Energy Construct staff:

I hate when Brainiac photo bombs me. :fuckoff:

This looks great, nice aesthetic!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

You have no idea how badly I want an armor style that is just literally the green construct energy as armor. Just the black undersuit with vambraces, greaves, and shoulder-armor of literal green construct stuff. :flashfap:

I could swear I've actually seen exactly that somewhere... think it might be a raid drop, check some wikis. What I don't get is why they don't make the Lantern Corps emblems easier to get... is there even a real Green or Yellow Lantern emblem?

Edit: You could go for glowing green skin and then just have her be mostly naked with random armor bits, like she's some avatar of Will or something.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 9, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That is why most of my characters don't last long. I already have my Electricity Healer who is quite far along with T3 stuff so right now I'm going back and forth between my Quantum guy and my Ice guy to see which I like more to really pursue... have a level 30 Gadgets chick that's retired and a 26ish Fire Tank that I've already retired, too. Plus I have a Light Hero but I kind of want to totally remake him into a chick (and he has a dumb name), but he has a few cool styles already unlocked.

Decisions, Decisions.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

What's the easiest weapon/powers combo to play? I keep trying different stuff and never feel like I'm very effective at anything.

I'm starting to think I just don't understand how to play this game.

Overall I'd probably say Martial Arts or Shield for weapon... Shield is super forgiving with combos and you can chain power attacks like mad, plus it looks awesome. Martial Arts has a 5-hit chain you can unlock that ends with a smoke bomb that not only does hilarious AoE damage, but also stuns everything around you. Other than those two, really depends on your role because some are better than others, for example Bow is probably the best healer weapon overall while Brawling is badass for tanks.

As for power, really depends on what role you want. I was just singing the praises of Ice ingame earlier today... it's awesome for DPS and probably still the best Tank Power. Even in DPS mode if you go Cryogenics you can basically spam AoE Chill Effects and reflect away a lot of damage, plus you get Ice Armor after 5 effects which gives you a decent armor boost even in DPS mode, so you're really survivable. Add in the Glacier Freeze power or whatever it's called where you encase yourself in ice and heal, and is conveniently in the same tree, and you really can't go wrong. The benefit here is also that you don't need any paid content to use it.

Otherwise, Gadgets is a great set simply because you can get that Encase power which will encase and damage two enemies, making groups much easier to handle. Once you get Controller mode, turn it on and never look back, because even though your damage will be a little lower, you'll also NEVER run out of energy so you can keep spamming powers. Also a base power, so you don't need to buy anything.

Most of all, check all three clubs/PDs after the intro quests. They scroll have quest chains and you should do them all as you go to get lots of gear and item appearances but also to end up overleveled for the later stuff. Makes a big difference, especially in the 20s when poo poo gets real. (gently caress you, Met City Hall)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 10, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We need to consolidate on PC and actually get real goon groups going. I'm going to talk to my buddy so we WILL have a Mumble channel available to use for voicechat.

What Leagues are all you people in on PC (sorry PS3 people) and how active are they, and more importantly would they be willing to basically merge with those of us left in Goonlimited so we all are in the same league and can actually do awesome poo poo?

Let's get serious, because I want to do some T4 poo poo.

Section Z posted:

Is brawling all obvious hand obscuring weapons like Martial Arts? Or can my Lava Mans take brawling to emulate doing things the old fashioned way, if just grabbing One Handed and calling it a day doesn't work out for the Space Rock Barbarian style? (Two-Handed apparently too slow as gently caress for energy regen for fire, or something).

I have no idea why I'm so dead set against Dual Wield or martial arts stylistically on a tough guy sort of deal.

Martial Arts and Brawling are similar like Staff and Two-Handed are, it's just that MA is WAY faster and has literally the best ranged attack spam in the game that is not the Bow. (you throw shurikens. Throw them EVERYWHERE!) Some of the combo chains are rather acrobatic like the one where you do a quick handstand to kick people in the goddamn face, but so far with my Ice guy I'm totally digging it... it's especially fun if you use Flight because the 2 hit-hold chain launches people, you fly up to keep comboing them in the air with the 3 hit-hold combo where you axe kick them in the goddamn face and they just fly back down into the ground for a semi-hilarious DBZ vibe to it.

Brawling has a few similar chains with one where you two a double-fisted hammer swing down on people, but I dunno... in general I really don't like the slow attack sets because of how your Power regenerates based on combo chains, and faster weapons naturally end up with you having big number combos. Really up to you, but both of them can be set so that you have no actual weapon equipped and you're just pounding on people with your bare hands, though with Martial Arts you can have goddamn Ninja Claws, so why the hell would you ever not use those?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 10, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I'm not in a league but I would totally be up for a goon one if we could get people playing.

Yeah, but you're a dumbo playing Hero side, so that sorta precludes you from grouping with like... 80% of us. Most of us already have pretty high level Villains, plus Villains get the best Mentors... Mark Hamill, James Marsters, AND Michelle Forbes? gently caress yeah. (Gina Torres sucks)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I am trying to come up with a villain right now :( I have a concept for a Superspeed/Lightning character, but I'm blocked on a name. Both 'Aether' and 'Mana' variations are taken, bleh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0

He can be Electric Slide's brother. I demand a huge afro, though. Mutton chops and/or awesome 'stache are optional.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

She's no longer Wonder Woman. As of Sons of Trigon there's a new VA and they rerecorded every one of the character's lines for consistency.

Whoa, really? Who's the new VA?

WarLocke posted:

Too late, I already made it:

Lightning, Super Speed, and Hand Blaster (fits conceptually and in group content as healer I'd want to be at range I'm guessing).

The exact opposite. Lightning is the only powerset that actually benefits from you being right in the poo poo with melee, because Electrogenesis is one of your mainstay powers and it's a DoT that buffs you and the nearest ally (should generally be the tank) and any other allies in the fields get healed. It stacks with every other healing thing Electricity has, and with other powersets' DoTs, so it's basically the greatest poo poo ever.

Never not be in the middle of things with Electricity. If you're the main healer, everyone should stay in a clump and you and the tank should position so you can easily buff him/her and then cover everyone else.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Hrmm, maybe I'll switch to Brawling then...

I had started with Shield on my Lightning guy, which was fun and badass looking, but honestly after switching to One Handed I probably would never use anything else... hits quite hard, looks badass, synergizes well with the passives at the bottom of the tree, and you're already right there in the poo poo. Thing is, I don't want your dumb rear end copying my guy! :colbert:

Really you can't go wrong with anything, as long as you enjoy it... hell, you could go staff and call it her Lightning Rod or something, who cares.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Trip report: I started Receptacle and haven't done a single mission past the tutorial. I've done all the basic & rookie races, grabbed every green and blue orb in metropolis, and have started doing the same for gotham - currently level 10. :science:

e: Not feeling super speed so far, it controls really unintuitively compared to flight...

Clearly you're not running up and jumping off enough skyscrapers...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Egghhh the best weapon in Blutkrieg's inventory is a shield but I really hate how the shield plays, I feel like if I'm not at range throwing it like a disc that there's just no rhythm or style to it. Staff is way more fun and easier to spam stuns with, and better for my Nazi sorcerer gimmick.

I dunno, but I'll take that shield if it's tradable...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We need to update/fix up the OP... no offense to Syrg Sapphire but the whole conversational style and attempts at being funny end up making it a slog for a newcomer to actually read through all that, plus the powers breakdown could be more thorough. Sadly, we're only 15 pages in on this thread and I think he's already vanished again, so I'm not sure how to remedy that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That'll learn me for posting from my phone. :doh:

I can write up a powers breakdown for each power, though someone else would have to write about Mental, Sorcery, and Nature, because I've never used those.

As for weapons, I've used basically all of them at this point though certain ones I use WAY more than others. Main thing is just formatting for readability and newbie-friendliness.

An explanation of all the endgame content would help, too, and the fact that 1-30 is basically the tutorial to show you how to play the game. Then a quick synopsis of what the gently caress all that poo poo in the On Duty Panel is, and how it all works... it can be pretty overwhelming to a new player and the OPs do nothing to help that. Just a simple thing about what the Challenges are, what Duos are, what Alerts are and how they differ from Raids, etc. Also a thing about how your Mentor choice just adds a flavor to what quests you do and what your final quest will be, it doesn't lock you out of much content at all and you won't totally miss out on certain items or gear or anything, just maybe a handful of quests at those level 4 and level 15ish breakpoints.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 11, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

You're in luck, I have a Sorc and Nature hero both. In fact that's kinda why Nature is the only one with any real content, it's my main.

Cool, I can summarize the others, though I will say I don't have much experience with Earth or Quantum if someone wants to take a crack at those, too. Fire, Ice, Electricity, Light, and Gadgets I can write up easily, though. Celestial I mostly have a good idea of how it works after futzing with it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

:siren::siren::siren: WE HAVE A MUMBLE SERVER NOW :siren::siren::siren:

Address: neckbeards.murmur.nfoservers.com
Port: 14150
Channel: DCUO - Punch Superman in the dick

Feel free to join up to arrange groups and crap, you're allowed to give out the info to others if you need to have pubs in your raid or whatever.

Server provided courtesy of VarrosAnon, who is a DC fan and hopefully will also play with us! Enjoy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Flight is good is you have bad spatial awareness and aren't playing with a controller. It's easy to use and makes accessing collectables mostly painless. It's also the slowest of all the movesets in combat and the second slowest in travel mode, so if you GOTTA GO FAST, it's not ideal. It's also a royal pain in the rear end when you get knocked out of it while flying and start falling all over the place, but it's also the easiest to toggle back on since you can just hold the jump button.

Acrobatics has the best escapes in world PvP and just PvP in general... it's hard as hell to keep track of Acrobats, plus they look awesome while ziplining around and such. They also get a rocket glide which is actually a MORE controlled flight and the hands down best movement power for searching rooftops/areas for exobits or collectables, by far. Just rocket glide and then turn your camera down as you fly over an area. Thing to note is that it has the hardest high level races, by far, so if you're a completionist and aren't up to the task, you might try something else. Status attacks and interrupts that can knock you out of movement mode can be annoying since there's no obvious visual cue you're in movement mode with Acrobatics, so you have to keep an eye on that little gem next to your healthbar sometimes, but that's a minor issue for most.

Super-Speed is hands down the fastest way to get around, and rightly so because it's, you know, speed. It's one of the most fun sets to use for traversing cities simply because you can fly off of buildings at high speed and basically throw yourself halfway across the city. You can also have lots of fun with lampposts. Thing is, by the same token, it's probably the hardest to control in tight spaces because you stick to EVERY surface and are moving stupidly fast, and sometimes your forward-backward controls invert on ceilings and make things flip out. Also, never use the Speed Force travel mode if you plan to go upside down, it will always make the camera lose its poo poo. That said, it's the fastest movement mode in combat by a HUGE margin, so it's really good for tanks or even healers because you can zip around a fight and get close to whoever you need to be close to. Sometimes it can be tricky getting to certain collectables, and in general unless you already know where the collectables are, if they're hidden away in weird places, as they tend to be on Alert maps, you probably won't find them on chance. That said, it's hard to beat zooming ahead in some of the lower level alerts and literally clearing out entire areas by yourself before everyone else catches up, then standing around with a smug, "oh, were you guys coming to help? Thanks anyway." expression on your face. :colbert:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 11, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I think I've figured out how to reconcile the fact that I really enjoy my Green Lantern, yet I want to play with goons and most seem to play villains - I'm going to start a Yellow Lantern. :haw:

Thinking about going two-handed with him, a big honking axe certainly inspires fear...

Plus you can use the gold aura to actually look glowy. :iamafag:

Personally I'd say you should go one-handed, dual wield, or MA, simply because those have really good Controller passives... +Vitalization and Dominance are nice.

I hope you realize this means you have to buy the Yellow Weapon Style pack now, too!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm working nights until this weekend, but I'll be on in the evenings EST starting next week.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just hit 30 on my Ice Tank. Still haven't decided which character to main... I enjoy my healer here and there, haven't actually tried any tanking out yet, and still want to futz around with my Quantum guy some more, because Controllers are pretty fun.

Decisions, decisions.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

tallian posted:

Remember, controllers are pretty much power batteries first and anything else second, so if you don't enjoy healing those blue bars, you probably don't want to use one as your main.

Well I enjoy Healing with my Lightning guy, and normally I hate playing a healer type... in this it's fun because there's no targeted healing and you still melee the poo poo out of dudes and are in the thick of it, so it's drat fun. Controller could be even more fun because you retain your damage but also boost energy, plus Quantum just gets a lot of cool powers... might actually make a flying quantum guy and style him around the Mecha wings I bought a couple years ago.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah, as much as Controllers' main role is "keep the blue flowing", they tend to get skills that are a lot more action-heavy instead of the still-needing-rebalance stuff Healers might end up with.

I'm totally not bitter that as of this past week people have begun kicking from raids for not being one of the "good" healer powersets or anything.

What are the "good" healing powersets, anyway? Seems like all the PvP videos have Sorcery healers, and I rarely see any Electric healers. Personally I think Electric healing is by far the most fun since you have to be in there with the group, fighting alongside them. Problem is that the whole group needs to stay close, as well, since all your powers are sort of AoE based and if people get out of range, they not only won't get healed but stuff like Galvanize will actually heal everyone for less because they're a fuckup.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kenshirou posted:

I have a 30 on the hero side that I'm working on getting to Tier 3, but I've rolled a few alt villains to be able to play with some of ya'll. Right now I'm digging my Elec 2H but I'm working on a Celest Shield as well, though I might scrap that and work on something different like an Ice tank. I'm just sick of constantly getting groups with only Damage or Controller so I kinda wanna try Tank for the hell of it.

Ice is fun as poo poo.

Basically, the Tank powers break down like this:

Fire - Lots of ranged attacks, really high damage output if you go DPS because it has a lot of DoTs. Tanking revolves around self-heals and regenerating your own health. Self-sufficient, but not very tanky for group stuff.

Ice - Tanky as all gently caress, the vast majority of the set revolves around either rooting enemies or mitigating damage by either boosting your armor or straight up reflecting damage back at enemies. drat fun because even in DPS mode you can jump into huge groups of guys and just wreck house and walk away from it.

Earth - Focuses on knocking enemies down/around and either summoning pets to tank damage for the group or for you to transfer damage from the weakest member to yourself, which oyu can then just dump onto your pet. I haven't played one, but it seems to have the most "staring at health bars" type tank play, as you sort of shift health and armor around and mostly try to keep enemies off of their feet to prevent damage. Seismic has a cool Aftershock feature where you basically chain melee attacks off of powers to charge them up and boost their effects... overall I'd say it's the most interesting thing about the set, since there's one armor power that can make you nigh invincible if you do it right.

Overall I prefer Ice, and it seems to be the most popular... it's probably the easiest to do well with, and it just looks loving cool, to boot.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I can't decide on one handed vs dual wield vs staff. Staff is just a pity option because Controller. One handed is pretty fun and hits hard, but I've never tried out dual wield... is it basically the same?

• Locked thread