Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
How is this game doing? I'm having superhero withdrawals. I quit right when basic mooks were getting blocks/counters/lunges added to them; did that totally kill the game like people were saying it would?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah I stopped playing my Mental controller early on when they revamped stuff to make controllers more about being an energy battery than crowd controllers. It didn't help that all the other players immediately jumped on it as if they only existed to enable other players to use powers nonstop.

How is the Quantum set? Spacial/gravity powers are always cool and I already have a name/concept that would work well with it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

... So what exactly is this 'lantern-themed gear' they talk about in the blurb for Fight for the Light? I got grandfathered into the expansion because I had an active account at the time but I've never noticed any particular lantern gear. The closest I remember was pics floating around of green construct weapons during the beta, but I'm pretty sure those were 'shopped.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

On thing that always bugged me was how Flight was just so much better than Speed or Acrobatics. Easier/simpler to use (no worries about getting hung up on stuff), you can fly above mob aggro radius, MUCH easier to spot collections and stuff with it... It was always such a pain to go with either of the alternatives.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Flight is so slow when you get hit, though. It's physically painful how slowly you move in general.

You shouldn't have Flight on in combat, and if you're traveling you're high enough to skirt mobs. :colbert:

Acrobatic also has no control over it's flight-type power and you can't hover with it, so gently caress that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Speaking of, did they reverse the thing where every mook spams counters/interrupts/heavy attacks?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is there still a goon presence in DCUO, and if so is it still mostly villain side? Most of my characters tend to be heroes because I'm boring like that. :ohdear:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I've still got a gig or so to download/install, hopefully will be on USPC tonight some time, than I get to figure out where all my characters stand.

I really want to buy that Crisis DLC for the Quantum powerset but money is tight, damnit.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holy poo poo, gently caress you Sony.

So I want Origin Crisis, right? I have 503 Station Cash in my account, the DLC is $9.99, so that's a no-go. BUT! I have about $6 in my Steam wallet, and the DCUO market allows me to buy SC with that. So buy 500 SC, then buy DLC, bam.

Nope, you can't buy DLC packs with Station Cash.

Are you loving kidding me? :fuckoff:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I guess I'll just drop $20 on a Steam wallet card tomorrow (buying DLC on Steam still works, right?) I just have no loving idea what to do with this 1003 SC I now have.

Also every loving superhero-sounding name I try is taken, I even lost Dynamo Lass and Countess Cold. :negative:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Welp, I just noticed that there are green/yellow/blue/purple construct weapon style packs on the market.

That's 500 SC down for my lantern character. I've always thought rolling with a green construct shield would be badass. :flashfap:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

New character, so time for the ritual scouring of Metropolis for briefings and investigations to jump start leveling/skill points:

I like cheesy heroes in tights, even his name is a physics joke - Baryon Boy the Quantum Controller. :haw:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So, those boxes you get as a weekly (I assume) reward for winning at PvP, is the stuff in them based on your level when you open them? Basically should I throw them in the bank until I'm 30, or open them as I get them?

Also, I was going to ask the same about Promethium boxes, but keys are $2.50 per on the market, so gently caress that.

And what is the deal with bases? I got a mission to pick a(n entrance?) spot, is this permanent or should I just plonk it wherever? Bases weren't around the last time I played.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Quick DLC question: I was grandfathered in to Fight for the Light (not sure how that works, the DCUO site doesn't list it on my account but I can definitely make Light characters) and have bought Lightning Strikes, The Battle For Earth and Origin Crisis.

I still have $10 in my Steam wallet. So I could buy one of Home Turf, Hand of Fate, Last Laugh, but Sons of Trigonisn't listed on Steam yet.

I guess I'm asking about the pros/cons of each one if I can only grab one at the moment.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shields must have been a bennie to everyone, because I can use them and I don't have Last Laugh.

So I guess it's either grab Hand of Fate for belts or wait for Sons of Trigon to show up on Steam.

How's the post-30 game without all these DLCs? If I grab SoT, presumably the stuff it adds is the newest 'tier' of group content, can it be jumped into or do I need to go through older stuff first?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Shields came with The Last Laugh.

Unless something changed, the only ways to be able to use a Shield is to own that, or have a sub.

Also: Shields can be summed up as :black101:

Well I can definitely use shields, and I was subbed at one time but currently am 'premium'. So unless I have some sort of phantom access to Last Laugh :iiam:

And yeah, shields are pretty badass. Too bad hand blaster works more for my quantum's theme.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure it's just you don't lose it should a character have it, you don't get to make more with it. If this is wrong, correct me! I have most of the expansions so the only thing I'd be testing is $15 for Celestial and that's a silly overpayment.

I made a Hard Light Shield user the other day, and the Quantm controller I am currently playing has skill points in shields and can equip them, and I most definitely do not have Last Laugh, nor am I subbed.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

You guys need to join the Goonsquad channel. It's always dead and I could use some dick jokes every once in awhile.

Every time I log on I say something in there. Nobody ever responds. :(

e: I wonder if we could drum up some more goon interest with a recruitment thread in Games. DCUO's F2P model is pretty darn lenient, and the game has a ton of content (especially if you're willing to buy DLC packs for all those raids and stuff).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 4, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Haha holy gently caress PvP.

First of all, it seems like nobody does sub-30 PvP except Legends. I've gotten into a single Australia match and my level 14 self ended up fighting (and losing to) multiple 20+ players. Yeah that's totally balanced.

And speaking of balance, when I get a 1v1 Legends match and my Robin gets matched against a Two-Face or Steel, I just have to feel a liiiiiitle hosed over. Yeah let's put a guy in who can drop firebombs on top of the point, spray you with a flamethrower AND summon goons to beat on you. Meanwhile I have a couple acrobatic leaps and a taser line?

gently caress it, I'll just wait until the pvp box reward (does non-Legend pvp reward these?) is off cooldown before I pvp any more.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Basically unless you want the new powers, wait until (if?) you reach "endgame", or T5 content. It's just more stuff at that level which isn't running raids/solos all the time. I am unsure if you can even get into the twisted Gotham until you're at that level, I think it's akin to Central City that way.

How does the post-30 content work, anyway? I mean I get that most of it is gated by combat rating, but if you had the hypothetical player that just had the base game and then Sons of Trigon, can he access that content? Or do you need other DLC for group/raid content that falls 'in between' base-game raids and the SoT stuff in order to get the CR to do it?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

I should probably play more though. I just have trouble settling on any specific character for very long and end up starting new characters over and over... Is there any particular build that's Super Awesome and will make me not want to play anything else ever again?

Most of the power sets seem to be vaguely similar, they might have their individual touches but Mental is not all THAT different from Gadgets, for example. Earth has a perpetual-motion thing going on with the Jackhammer power (I've read) where you can just infinitely do that as long as you're not knocked out of it, which is pretty unique. And then there's Light having the whole construct-combo system which is virtually nothing like any of the other sets. I think Celestial has some sort of combo system too but I have no idea how it works.

So, basically, Light is the most 'unique' of the sets, it can also put out some stupid DPS at the high end from what I've read, if you like the combo gameplay.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

tallian posted:

I don't know about other control powersets, but quantum is the way to go if you like stunlocking the hell out of groups. Spamming Tachyon Burst, you stun 2 mobs at a time with it, it has no cooldown, and it gives your PoT effect. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

It also has a teleport, black hole/singularity, and a literal time bomb :getin:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sons of Trigon is up on Steam :toot:

Looks like everything in it is for CR80+ except the power set, though. :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wow, the 'community' in this game is an elitist cesspool. I feel dirty wading through the forums.

I originally dived in to see if I cold figure out why one dude was shouting for cr98 people all night for his raid. Why would you need to do that hen there's the on duty interface and you can just queue up for one?

Apparently it's because people only want you in their raid if you already have gear drops from that raid, and that's totally not a circular catch-22. :psyduck:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, no, I get that, what I meant is I am getting terrible WoW GearScore-era vibes. "We don't want you in this cr60 raid unless you're in cr75 gear" type ones.

Of course since coming back I've only made it to 19 so maybe I'm letting my previous MMO experience bring out the paranoid in me. :tinfoil:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jjac posted:

Though if what people are saying is true about KEEPING EVERY DLC RELEASED SO FAR, FOREVER even after your subscription lapses, I'd totally plunk down $15 to take advantage of that. Y'all better not be lying though. :mad:

I don't think this works, although you can definitely just buy the DLC separately for $10/pop and kep them forever as 'premium'.

e: If only that it would be a really bad option for Sony money-wise. Spend $40+ on DLC? Or spend $15 one time and unlock all that DLC forever?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 5, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I guess the 3AM downtime turned into all-day downtime? My client hangs at server validation. :eng99:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is there a limit to the number of missions you can have in your journal, or can you otherwise 'out-level' stuff? I'm asking because I started a Light character and am thinking I might just fly around grabbing investigations, briefs,, collections and doing races and junk before doing ANY missions. Stack the deck a little with a few levels and skill points.

Anyway I basically have two heroes right now, Baryon Boy (Quantum/Hand Blaster/Flight) and now Inol Aran (Hard Light/Staff/Flight):

e: I've been using these maps for collectibles, they seem pretty spot-on.

e2: And the green construct weapon pack is awesome, pulling a staff out of thin air makes sense and going between it and claws and whatever else is :circlefap:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 6, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holy CRAP the construct combos thing with Light is ridiculous at low levels. I just tear through poo poo. Claw, claw, claw, claw, minigun, staff combo, spikes, claw claw claw.... :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Celestial does the same thing, except with Healing. :psyduck:

I would buy SoT but hell if I could come up with a character for Celestial that isn't some sort of fallen angel cliche thing. At least with Light you have the Lantern Corps right there ready for you and it works in concept because there's a poo poo ton of lanterns all over anyway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

tallian posted:

Have you figured out the chains yet? When I realized how to do that I freaked right the hell out.

I don't have enough powers yet I don't think, all I can do right now is Claws->Ram and Claws->Minigun. Apparently you can do infinite combos with the right powers, which is :aaaaa: so I guess I should stat for Precision. The only other power I have (I'm 8) is Spike Trap but I don't think it can be comboed.

e: At least according to the Light guides I can find, the initial power goes off of Might but anything you combo into gets its damage based on Precision.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 6, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

tallian posted:

You get chains by going minigun -> spam attack, at least with martial arts.

I thought for Light the powers chained from one to another? Like Claws ca go to either Ram or Minigun, then Ram can go to either Whip Thrash or Snap Trap, then Snap Trap goes to X or Y, etc... ?

Also, I really need to figure out this R&D stuff:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

Any good build ideas this far for Celestial? I just started a character and an currently looking into one of the builds I saw off Google/the official forums, but would like some goon input. Especially if it less to something as amazing as my current hard light set-up.

The only thing I know about Celestial is that apparently its combo system doesn't work like Light's. Instead each tree has one power that corresponds to a power in the other tree (the layouts are identical, so the top-right power in one tree corresponds to the top-right in the other one, etc - supercharges excepted) And those two can combo off of each other. For example, if you have Power A and Power B you can cast Power A and combo into B, or you can cast B and combo into A. But there's no long or infinite combos like Light - it's strictly 2-step combos.

Now for my greedy side: I've seen a water-type body/skin and players with auras, neither of which appears to be on the market. Are they Promethium drops or something? I really want a green aura for my lantern :eng99:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Just went 8:2 in a Fortress of Solitude Legends match as Robin with 40k damage out and the highest damage total being 60k. Feel pretty badass. :nolan:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Has anyone tried the new Celestial set out? Does it play similar to any of the others or is it fairly unique? How does the combo system it has work with healing?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Giedroyc posted:

For any returning people. You need CR 40 now to get loot from Sub Avatars.

Were people showing up at low levels to mooch gear or something?

Tweaked my Lantern a bit, I don't have a lot of options at the moment and the look isn't exactly 'canon', but I like it:

And here's one with the Green Energy Construct staff:

I hate when Brainiac photo bombs me. :fuckoff:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

This looks great, nice aesthetic!

You have no idea how badly I want an armor style that is just literally the green construct energy as armor. Just the black undersuit with vambraces, greaves, and shoulder-armor of literal green construct stuff. :flashfap:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Edit: You could go for glowing green skin and then just have her be mostly naked with random armor bits, like she's some avatar of Will or something.

Funnily enough, I was just online and some guy was shouting he wanted to trade a white aura for 45 yellow exobits. I hit up my bank so fast... :neckbeard:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, the whole random costume unlocking stuff (thinking specifically about styles you can only get from the vault, or lockboxes, or drops inside raids and crap) is really making me consider paring down to two characters, one hero one villain. No way do I have the patience to try for all that various poo poo (including feats for SP) on 6 different characters long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Haha I figured out what I'm going to do for a villain character. The people over on the DCUO forums get their panties in such a wad if you refuse to use Community Approved 100% Efficient loadouts, so I am going to make an Acrobatics, Joker-mentored villain who only uses Acro attacks because he is nuts and his no powers. "Lightning bolt!" *tosses graple line*

• Locked thread