Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Completely new to this game (City of Heroes thread brought me over) and don't have any DLC/legendary. I'm at a relatively low level (10 on my villain, no hero just yet) but I'm having fun so far, whether I'm playing correctly or not. I joined the steamgroup, so I look forward to teaming up with some goons to see how crappy I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

nehezir posted:

one thing to mention since you just hit 10.

you can hit T to change stance. that will indicate role. dps is the flame and then the other is your power's specialty role. check your powers and see what they do that changes with role.

"hit counter" is the combo meter. in dps stance, using a power applies a damage output multiplier that lasts until your combo meter resets. like first tier powers apply a 35% damage multiplier so you use the power>combo like mad until you drop combo for some reason>use another ability>combo again.

using a power immediately resets your combo meter. this is basically the core of dpsing. there's also "clipping" which is using an ability, drinking a soda, or weapon combo to cancel excess animations off of a skill or combo. don't worry about it too much but you'll want to get it down eventually. lemme fetch the guide board for you.
https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?forums/oracle%E2%80%99s-database-guides.16/
the offical boards are a mixed bag but most of the guides are alright enough to digest something useful from.

Thanks for the tips. What I've been doing mostly lately is turning on my "Immolation" and the flame on my weapons at the start of a fight to increase damage and then wailing on the guys for a bit. If I'm surrounded I'll use one of my AOE knockdown powers. And then when Immolation and weapon-flame-power drop I'll use them again if able. Is that an effective strategy? I'm at level 24 now and have been having a blast, though the Green Lantern/Sinestro War stuff was pissing me off because I had to "protect" a Recruit but they kept getting killed by heroes who I couldn't attack because I've been in PVE mode.

What's the deal with teams? I have no idea how to start one, but I got invited to one today with another villain and it essentially was just like an NPC partner because there was no interaction (hell, once the mission we joined up with before was over I just left and did my own things because I couldn't figure out how to quit the team).

It's obvious I'm doing something wrong here, but I had no idea how to talk to him or see if he'd said anything. There was a speaker next to the "group" tab on the chat, so I guess it was a voice chat team?

Other than some confusion, it hasn't really affected me poorly lately, as I've just been able to solo (which I like doing, though goon teams would be cool too).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Wow, the difficulty really ramps up after you hit 30, doesn't it?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Thanks for the tips guys. It's been a big help.

I think I ran into a bug. Normally I'll alternate between clicking and holding the mouse buttons to use combos right? Well on my villain it's stopped working. I can only do short jabs (the light melee). Anyone have any experience with something like that?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

jjac posted:

That's the default unarmed attack, do you have a weapon equipped that you spent at least a skill point on?

Yes, he's level 30 and was working fine up until today. I'm not having this problem with my other character.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My gloves or whatever needed to be repaired. :doh: I didn't even know that would take away the ability to use Brawling instead of making it less effective.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I can't get enough of the hard light controller. It's easily the funnest character for me to play. I don't play it like a normal person though, so it takes groups awhile to warm up to it. When I'm soloing I use controller stance because I like the extra dominance, but I've found that when I'm grouping it's better to be dps because otherwise I'm expected to focus almost exclusively on power regeneration. I prefer infinite combos/crowd control.

I like to either chain Chainsaw-Ram-Whip-Hand Clap-Chainsaw-etc or Light Claws-Ram-Snap Trap-Fan-Light Claws-etc. I suppose I could go Chainsaw-Ram-Snap Trap-Fan-Light Claws-Ram-Whip-Hand Clap-Chainsaw-etc if I wanted too, though I haven't done it before. I pull a lot of aggro with this method but I'm controlling half the map at once. It's really fun to do, even if it's repetitive. Further I never have to worry about running out of power. Yes, the chained constructs go off my precision instead of might, but they also build up combos. Maybe I'm playing it "wrong," but all in all it's a blast so I don't really care unless I'm on a team whose controller isn't doing a great job, in which case I'll change it up a bit.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Knockdown doesn't matter much anyway when you can just press a button to get you out of any control effect.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I tend to play both sides fairly equally but still haven't grouped with any goons yet. Well maybe I have, but I wasn't aware. Is there any way to make a group chat channel to make it easier to chat with one another?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

jjac posted:

You can make a custom chat channel in the options menu. It won't be password protected so any pubbie could hop in, though. I made a Goonsquad one a while back but I guess it didn't stick, so you can either use that or decide on a name that everyone else here can agree on.

Thanks. I joined the channel if anyone else wants to give it a go.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You guys need to join the Goonsquad channel. It's always dead and I could use some dick jokes every once in awhile.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Argh. Normally the first time I do an alert/raid I do the whole thing and then go back and get all the investigations/briefings after we finish so I'm not allowing the group down. But I did that with the Star Labs T2 one and it turns out it locks you out of the opening room one you leave, where there are (hopefully) the rest of the tokens. Lame. Oh well, it's not like it was a slog to do.

Also Warlocke and I were on the Goonsquad chat channel the last two nights, so it's not completely dead if you guys wanna give it another shot (so everyone doesn't have to friend everyone's alt's and rely on league chat).

mastajake fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 6, 2013

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

tallian posted:

Have you figured out the chains yet? When I realized how to do that I freaked right the hell out.

Also, as far as the channel, anyone know if it is cross faction?

The channel is most certainly cross faction, as I've been playing villain and Warlocke has been playing hero.

And I've been doing the convoluted infinite combo I mentioned earlier for hard light and I'm loving it: Claws-Ram-Chains-Hand Clap-Chainsaw-Ram-Snap Trap-Fan-Claws-repeat. Today I was also experimenting with substituting Minigun in for the first Ram (since they combo to the same constructs) but it's risky since it's interruptable. It's fun as all get out :-/ just because of how convoluted it is.

In order to get all the powers for it I had to sacrifice group shielding which might be a deal breaker for some of you thinking of it. In that case just do Claws-Ram-Snap Trap-Fan-Claws or Chainsaw-Ram-Chains-Hand Clap-Chainsaw or something.

Any good build ideas this far for Celestial? I just started a character and an currently looking into one of the builds I saw off Google/the official forums, but would like some goon input. Especially if it less to something as amazing as my current hard light set-up.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

WarLocke posted:

The only thing I know about Celestial is that apparently its combo system doesn't work like Light's. Instead each tree has one power that corresponds to a power in the other tree (the layouts are identical, so the top-right power in one tree corresponds to the top-right in the other one, etc - supercharges excepted) And those two can combo off of each other. For example, if you have Power A and Power B you can cast Power A and combo into B, or you can cast B and combo into A. But there's no long or infinite combos like Light - it's strictly 2-step combos.

Now for my greedy side: I've seen a water-type body/skin and players with auras, neither of which appears to be on the market. Are they Promethium drops or something? I really want a green aura for my lantern :eng99:

They're available in Promethium Lockboxes, so........sorry. But there's no green aura anyway.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Fuzz posted:

I could swear I've seen green auras, are you sure?

I'm not completely sure, no, though I have heard people in chat bitching that there wasn't one and asking why and then people telling them it would allow for blatant rip-offs of some character or something. Also, this website only has blue, dark blue, plasmic, gold, purple, red, and white.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

WarLocke posted:

Has anyone tried the new Celestial set out? Does it play similar to any of the others or is it fairly unique? How does the combo system it has work with healing?

This is the page I'm using as a guideline (second post).

Or it would be if I ever stopped playing my Sinestro Corps character for long enough to try it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I made an Electric/Shield Super Speed villain tonight (Robot House) to do lowbie stuff and just dicked around on it. I definitely want to play with him some more because the concept is fun. Also he's a robot with a shield for some reason.

The main characters I play though are Intern Lantern (hero, T1 right now) and Spaindex (villain, T1.5 right now) and would definitely be interested in some goon league action, especially to play the T2 (and soon 3) stuff with.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I don't see any reason to just pick one side. If you have a character on both then you're ready to jump in to any group.

I definitely like the villain content better, but the hero stuff is pretty cool too.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anyone want to run any tier 2 babby stuff tomorrow? It'd be fun to play with someone other than randos. I won't be able to play too much tonight (like 10:30 - 12:00 cst) but tomorrow I'll be available from about 7-12 cst. Let me know, or just friend my characters (hero: Intern Lantern; villain: Spaindex). I'll be hanging out in the Goonsquad channel.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Super Speed is my favorite one except for the races which I just can't seem to get the hang of, so I play on my next favorite one: flying.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Here are some things I didn't know when I started that might be good to include. Probably because I'm am idiot. Must be in a manual or something:
-the function buttons (f1, f2, etc) duo something useful, though I don't remember what right now (you can obviously fill this in)

-Y accesses your On Duty tab, which I'd how you will find events. When the alerts open up go ahead and queue for them and just continue on normally until they open up.

-I accesses your Inventory, yes, but the other tabs will tell you the amount of marks of triumph you have (useful when you hit 30) and your combat readiness (cr, which doesn't matter till you hit 30)

-when you hit 30 you should grab the level 30 pvp armor from one of the vendors in the Hall of Doom or Watchtower. It's the only vendor that doesn't have a Marks of Triumph requirement

-next to them should be a vendor that sells a decent level 30 weapon that will last you until you get a lucky drip from a tier 2 mission

-dailies are missions that rotate every day and give you a bonus amount of marks. Other than that, on duty missions have weekly rewards and lesser daily rewards. They have a special mark by them

-as you gain marks, begin purchasing your tier 1 armor, which is usually near the other guy. It will be the only one that requires marks but doesn't have a cr requirement

-you get skill points for doing feats (hold escape button down to bring up the wheel and pick the top right option). These are extremely useful. Ideally you will have about 30 when you hit 30, and only 14-15 well come from leveling. Gather investigations, collect clothing styles, do races, etc.

-repair your poo poo after every mission. You do this at vendors

-chat channel is Goonsquad. Add it in your settings.

-If you get a promethium lockbox (and have legendary) wait until 30 to open it, because then it might have marks.

-you probably won't be able to solo the missions that open up on your journal when you hit 30. Maybe later

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

WarLocke posted:

Already done! And the Yellow Energy Staff is actually this wicked polearm thing. :neckbeard:

What can I say, I love staff. So all you dudes add Kohra Vas to your friends lists.

e: I also went with Joker as my mentor because who else would you gravitate to if you're fueled by fear? :black101:

Go with whatever you want for the first thirty levels. The best weapon for higher hard light controllers is probably brawling because it has a better multiplier for power over time on your combos. Though I'd you're going to be using your weapon a lot more than I do it's good to use whatever you're more comfortable with.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I have one that's cr 43 I believe. Intern Lantern. Mostly I've been playing my villain but if I'm on we can do something. I'll be in the mumble server and on channel goonsquad as Spaindex most likely.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It makes a big difference playing with people who know what they're doing, or at the very least are willing to correct themselves. Last night was awesome, and we need to make it a regular thing.

I tried out a new build yesterday on my hard light hero. It was pretty awesome, but I didn't get a chance to try it in groups before we started our awesome villainy action.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Someone needs to run T2 stuff with me so I can join you guys there. I'm Cr 51 right now, and am just missing a couple pieces of T2 armor.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I was gonna make one tonight when I got home but if you're on now go for it. My character's name is Intern Lantern.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

tallian I have no idea how you use the amount of power you do. It's like trying to fill a bottomless pit. Thankfully we generally have both me and Warlocke contributing to the PoT and the Recharge so we manage somehow.

On a positive note, I'm CR53, so just one more for t3 stuff.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I managed to get to T2 CR53 yesterday, so if someone else is running T3 stuff to grind just let me know and we can get something going. Excited for new content. It's been awhile.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

When were you on? I was on half the day and no one was there but me. Oh well, got some stuff done on my hero and villain. Still not as fun without goons though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just got a weapon drop in a T3 duo with the stats: 103.5 dps, 134 health, 18 power, 28 precision, and 65 might. 56 item level.

My previous weapon was: 77.9 dps, 65 toughness, 632 health, 83 power, 17 precision, 34 might, 7 restoration, 37 vitalization, and 16 dominance. This was the second tier of pvp weapon (50 MoV). 30 item level/81 pvp item level.

I experimented with the new one and have really been digging it. I am on my hard light controller and play in controller stance but definitely have an emphasis on dps. I've done alerts and duos with it and have noticed an increase in dps and not really any change in power out/control.

Was this a good move? I'm keeping the other weapon for pvp anyway, but for pve purposes. I'm really worried about the ~500 decrease in health but I haven't noticed anything. I've always been made of paper.

The weapon I could buy in CC is: 103.5 dps, 155 health, 9 precision, 18 might, 40 vitalization, 20 dominance. 56 item level. It seems overall better than the drop I got (though still noticeably less health than the pvp one) with a little less power, precision, and might.

What do you guys think? (I'm currently CR 60).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah that probably is the discrepancy. And I got it from the Bane mission. I'll probably just keep running it daily until I get the controller-specific one. Thanks guys.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Isn't it only of they have a cc weapon too, or was I reading that wrong?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I'll definitely wait for that one. The problem is that I virtually never have issues with power so that particular benefit would not be too beneficial.

Another question: I know the chained powers work off of precision, and that dps adds to precision, so a higher dps makes my chained constructs deal more damage right? Want to make sure I'm not fooling myself here and it only works for the actual weapon or something.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah that's kind of what I do, though I do make sure and hit the PoT when it runs out too. Basically I'll start a boss fight off with whip thrash (bye bye defense) and then use light blast (bye bye damage) and then hit claws and get 25-30 his until my power is recharged and then see what needs to be done. Defense debuff is usually still around but damage isn't, so I hit that and then do the PoT.

On regular groups of mobs I tend to just use the PoT because the soft cc (juggling, knock down, etc) still works if they're combo'd into, and I rotate my targets. The result is me drawing a lot of fire, but the majority of targets are incapacitated.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

How about substituting light blast for snap trap? Alternatively, my old build had snap trap and fan, but if you want those you'd have to probably give up the Impact branch.

Here is my current load out:

1 - light claws: PoT
2 - whip thrash: defense debuff
3 - grasping hand: damage debuff
4 - recharge: power
5 - group shielding: power and "oh poo poo" power
6 - personal shield: obvious reasons, but also to revive teammates

The first three are all infinite combos if I choose, so that helps me rebuild power no matter what one I started with. The whip thrash debug lasts a really long time, but the grasping hand one does not (probably 1/3 of the time).

I know you're a big fan of light weight, so you could probably do something similar to mine but substitute it for grasping hand. Just know they're gonna hit you harder.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah it's been pretty dead lately. Of course it could be people are playing but aren't on mumble/the goonsquad channel.

Pubbies are significantly less fun to play with. The few times we had enough to do raids were awesome.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I almost wish there WAS a downside to playing in controller stance. Then I would have a reason to go dps instead of controller mode, other than having to deal with the idiots who see controllers as one-dimensional power batteries.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, I'm out of town for the weekend and won't be able to play until Sunday evening. Well I guess I could play on the laptop, but I forgot the 360 controller and really don't feel like using the laptop KB&M.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Fuzz posted:

I need to get back into this.

Yeah, me too. I've gotten on a couple times the last two days but haven't been into it. The new red/blue lantern stuff will keep me for awhile though, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I got on for awhile earlier (PC) and used the old Goonsquad channel to see if anyone else was on, but no one responded. If the Red/Blue Lanterns wind up having the same cool chaining gimmick the hard light ones do, I'll probably be a lot more active again, in case anyone else was considering coming back if there was more of a goon presence.

• Locked thread