Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sash! posted:

Unaired?

2/13/03 man.

I was there.

I was in college and saw it on tv and then tried to describe what I saw to my roommate and he didn't believe me. He said, "Are you sure it wasn't Harvey Birdman?"

Then a year later I was in graduate school and I saw it again and I was filled with righteous vindication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sash! posted:

That was back in the era of 29 shows that had one episode never to be seen again.

Although most were pretty awful so it worked out for us.

gently caress you groovenians

And now I just had a traumatic flashback to the Ripping Friends.

But also Welcome to Eltingville.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Eltingville was awful.

Eltingville made me reconsider the trajectory of my life when I realized that I knew the answers to all of the trivia questions in the showdown part of the episode. It was the first time I realized that maybe it was a bad thing that I was able to do that. I haven't looked back.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

What are the big differences between the equivalent characters? Like why are Doc and Johnny so different when they had relatively similar upbringings? They both seem to do drugs. It just looks like Johnny went more overboard? Or maybe it's because Doc had kids, so he had to bring himself at least partway back down to earth.

Then there's Hadji, who seems to have turned out okay, compared with Hector, who's in some state of arrested development. I guess we don't seen enough of Hadji to make a good comparison though.

I thought that Johnny ended up so much worse than Doc because he was the more experienced and prominent of the two, the archetype of the boy adventurer. Benton Quest was an A-lister who defined the category that Doc and the others later fit into. Because his experience was an order of magnitude greater than Doc's (fame, adventures, clueless super-science father), Johnny's an order of magnitude more messed up than Doc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Really? Within the context of the Venture world, it really seems like Jonas Venture Sr. was the tippy top of everything. He had all the compounds, estates, islands, space stations, conglomerates. Not to mention he's all big and buff, while Benton Quest has a figure more like Rusty Venture.

I haven't seen Johnny Quest since I was a kid, but even in their own universe, were the Quests like super rich industrialists? I guess they did have their own plane, but it seemed almost like Benton Quest was like a researcher for some company and using their jet or something.

This is partially on the meta-level of Johnny Quest being an inspiration for the show, so Doc and the rest are necessarily shadows of the Johnny Quest show. I don't know that it's untrue in the world of the show, either. Jonas has great importance to Doc and his circle because he was a big influence on them, but the Venture world is pretty big and full of poo poo that doesn't touch on him at all: magic, superheroes, robots. I'd imagine there are a lot of big wheels occupying various corners of that world that may not overlap, and we're just focused on one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

I realise people here probably won't really know but, I'm kind of curious how much money Doc Hammer/Jackson publick make from the show. I mean, they do most of the voices and created/write the whole thing.

I'm going to guess that it's not very much as far as tv goes. They do the t-shirt club thing in their free time to bring in more money. I remember that after the first season they sold a soul-bot shirt through their website to get some money to get through the hiatus.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shindragon posted:

You mean Season 4's final with Like a Friend by Pulp? That song is basically about a guy meeting his crush and lamenting the choices of being with her. In this case it's Brock and Cocktease. In that scene Brock is basically tired of chasing Cocktease. Cocktease also has Brock's friends as hostages. Cocktease dying basically has Brock move on. The song works because it's basicaly the person recollecting the good memories.

And let's face it, don't lie you were holding your breath that Brock might of come late and might of found his friends dead.

It's basically why the song works because it hit the notes at the perfect spot.

It's why most fans say if VB was to end after Season 4, that would be the best place to do so.

edit: Or it could be that song really just fits. It goes well everywhere. Brock running back to the compound, the credits roll. It just worked perfectly.

There's also a really well-paced musical scene in the first episode of Season 2 featuring "Everybody's Free" by Aquagen that I thought fit the pace and the mood really, really well. It's a much more obscure song, though, and I one I don't think anybody really likes or cares about.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CoolCab posted:

Also, when Doc is using Hatred as the ray shield demonstration, the last thing hits him in the chest (which is already a little bigger on rewatch), and he winces in pain, which predates any radiation exposure.

e: actually, upon reflection, is there any indication the main characters think it was radiation? Gary does, because he's out of the loop, but Hatred's line on revealing them was ''am I going to grow arms out of these too?!'' He doesn't correct the guy when he's being beaten since it's the only thing preventing him from being eaten.

There's also some foreshadowing when Gary rags on him for having larger manboobs that he does and Hatred chalks it up to getting older. You can already see him getting them then.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just caught last week's episode, and I was wondering what was in the display case behind St. Cloud's sunken lounge. I recognized the eye-on-a-stalk from the trash compactor scene in Star Wars alongside what may be the electronic eye that comes out of Jabba's palace in Jedi, but right next to it there's some irregularly shaped brown thing I couldn't place. I don't suppose anyone can place it?

I'm not proud about recognizing the other two, by the way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, if we're going by some sort of commonly held definition, there's no way that Dr. Theopolis would count as a robot either, except that Buck must have called him one. Trivia's all about recall of information about the thing itself and not analysis of the thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

*sniff* A boy with a tummy ache.

Was I the only one slightly horrified at the fact that Hank killed and ate a seemingly sentient creature?

He stone-cold killed like three guys in the woods.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just caught last week's episode. The Jake the Snake guy was at least partially a reference to Sgt. Slaughter being on GI Joe, wasn't he?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

Maybe they were a liaison for the CIA? So does Molotov still have her Blackhearts and do they now operate as the black ops branch of OSI?

They were turned into giant flies and killed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Protagorean posted:

Also, I don't buy for a second that they don't keep track of their plot. They do such a good job of keeping continuity, even over the span of seasons that themselves span YEARS.

They're obsessive nerds who have spend a lifetime cultivating close attention to narrative details, yet they're also psychologically healthy and have other interests. This show is so good because it's the snake eating its own tail in the best possible way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So how did Hank know that Myra wasn't his mom? I've watched the scene a few times, and first he says, "crap, I think that's my mom" immediately before saying "Yeah, she's not my mom."

Did he just decide that he didn't want her to be his mother after seeing how crazy she was, or did he have a specific reason that I missed?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

echomadman posted:

She wants dean put inside her so she can 'finally' give birth to him.
The 'finally' part tips hank off that she never birthed them in the first place

edit: lol you guys way overthink this poo poo sometimes

You're right: I just rewatched the scene and he says to himself "...finally give birth to my--I knew you weren't my mom!"

Also, the alter she rides in on has a sideways bathtub behind her, like all those homemade Virgin Mary shrines. I totally missed that the first time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cloud Potato posted:

"No, it's a second sleeve, for our four-armed customers! Like in the show! Feel the authenticity!"

HankCo makes these shirts, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Filthy Haiku posted:

Orpheus has never risen the dead, he's not a conventional necromancer. All the other words for what he does just sound too goofy.

Didn't he go to the afterlife looking for the boys' souls with the intention of bringing them back at the start of season 2, only he couldn't find them because Doc had them recorded on magnetic tape in their learning beds?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yaz shows up on my ipod a couple times due to being on those electronic 80s collections from Ministry of Sound, and everytime I skip over one I think "How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing!".

The joke I never noticed with that one is that there are only two Yaz albums.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Black Bones posted:

I think there was a commentray track where Jackson and Hammer said that the animation flubs were on purpose, like they sent detailed instructions to the animators in Korea that they wanted a character's eyes to lag behind their head for a single frame. All part of their general homage to old animated shows.

Or they were just trying to mask their mistakes with a Just-As-Planned fib. Either is possible with those two.

I think they make a joke about the third glove in particular, something like the Korean animators are so generous they give them bonus gloves in some scenes without even asking, or something like that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

(Bolding mine.)

That makes me think of something...after he perfected the cloning, why didn't he start cloning himself? Like...keep a few clones of himself around, and sleep in a modified learning bed to record his memories too, and tell Brock that if he dies, go ahead and "use" one of the clones?

Yeah, the clones would be much younger versions of himself, but that really seems almost like a bonus. As soon as you use one, put another in the tank, and always have a few spares for accidental death, and you can live into your mid 40's or 50, kill yourself, and voila, brand new 20-something year old body. Do the same with Brock (well, if he wants) so that only one person has to "keep the secret" and gives him incentive to stick around to ensure you don't die without someone forgetting to tale a new clone-slug out of the tube.

If anyone asks, just say you perfected a youth treatment, not cloning, and that for "science reasons" it only works with your DNA so you cant' sell it.

Clone slugs seem more like a convenience for Rusty than a favor for the boys. He seems to use cloning mostly as a shortcut to save himself problems, like with that kid who got killed by the gorilla. I'd imagine he's too much of a narcissist to gloss over the fact that any clone of him would be a copy who got to go off and live at the expense of his death.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn't diamonbackdraft covered with burn scars, and then there's a flashback that shows his primary weapon was a flamethrower? I took that one as a pun as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

And I'm just guessing here, but they had originally animated it to a different song assuming they'd never get budget approval for that one, but then at the last minute it came through, and it was perfect, but in order to make it work they had to speed up the animation a whole bunch :smith:

I think it's the other way around: they animated it to Rozalla assuming that they'd replace it with something cheaper, but they liked the song they chose too much.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

"Clones" is the only way it works as a post-credits sting twist. :colbert:

It was supposed to leave you thinking "Wait what did he say, they were clones :tviv: " just before quitting for the season.

"Clothes" would be a weak and meaningless thing to leave the audience on. Why even bother saying it, let alone wasting the season's final post-credits stinger on it?

"Clothes" works because the stinger joke is that unlike Orpheus, who sits weeping for kids he only kind of knows, Doc is completely selfish and cynical.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Or she's just better at coping with super science than her dad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

eriktown posted:

They did actually buy the rights to some song used in the climactic scene of the home-school prom episode, IIRC.

Some song? That's not just some song. That's Pulp, you fool!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best part of that joke is that there are only two Yaz albums.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I caught the premiere of the pilot, thought it was overly full of itself and badly flash-animated and kinda mean-spirited and not anywhere near as funny as it clearly thought it was, and I almost didn't watch the real series when it showed up.

I really didn't expect such a dramatic improvement right out the gate.

One of the last conversations I ever had with a college roommate was trying to describe the pilot to him and him not really being sure if what I was describing was real. We were both doing undergraduate research during the summer and shared an apartment, and he was out doing something while I was watching cartoon network.

When he got back I tried to tell him about this show that was like Jonny Quest only with a skinned dog and a psychopathic Race and he gave me this weird look and asked if I was sure it wasn't Harvey Birdman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I still love how the club is owned by Don Hell, who is a play on Don Heck, an old school Marvel cartoonist.

It's actually a reference to their other major obsession, the NYC music scene:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/854397

But them being hip nerds pretty much means it's both, I think.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Red posted:

I think that episode has a flashback of Vendata attacking little Rusty. Older Rusty is just remembering that.

Yeah, I think the implication is that Jonas had him working around the compound as slave labor before dumping him. The file Shore Leave looks at lists him as a military prototype.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JT Jag posted:

"We accidentally slipped into an alternate timeline where Hitler attended artschool and the Holocaust never happened, and I didn't feel like memorizing a new list of Chancellors of the Weimar Republic. So sue me."

"Rusty, daddy got his start with some punch-card filing machines that wouldn't have sold nearly as well if there hadn't been a certain very specific market for equipment like that between 1939 and 1944. You like the pool back at home, right?"

He really slid a long way from when he was a well-meaning 60s guy with no idea of what would warp a kid in "Careers in Science," didn't he?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are twice as many listed as available now as there were this morning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did we learn what the Investors were doing? Was this episode also the culmination of their plan, or were they just like gangsters who went after all those people with nothing in mind bigger than a cut/their souls?

And JJ had an inferiority complex as gigantic as Rusty's, it's just that it came out as reverence for Jonas and a desperate need to get close to him or hitch himself to Jonas' star. All that passive-aggressiveness toward Rusty has to be at least partially because Jonas actually loved Rusty and treated him like his son, while JJ will never get any affection. Him putting himself in Rusty's place or setting himself up as Jonas' true successor is just him trying to get love from his dead, distant dad who he never understood was a giant oval office. The success that makes Rusty jealous is just a byproduct of JJ's desperation.

It's pretty sad, but Rusty and JJ hate each other because they each see the other as usurping what should be theirs, but in both cases it's garbage they shouldn't even want in the first place.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's two dudes in a tiny New York studio making the show by hand pretty much.

Two guys who are obsessive about every visual reference, plot detail, and joke. Plus they are powerless before their need to mention their twin obsessions of obscure music acts and old sci-fi into every episode. And they apparently like to devote tons of time to jokey poo poo like installing an airlock and intercom into the front door of their rickety office space (that they definitely don't even own in the first place) so they can instruct visitors to change into a cleansuit before entering.

The show really is the most perfect expression possible of the muse they share. I hope they can make it forever and just end up recluses in their studio like those two millionaire brothers in New York who refused to leave and built booby traps into their mansion while stealing electricity from the neighbors.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Do they work on other shows? i just don't see how it's possible to spend two years to write 8 episodes.

Don't you listen to the commentaries? They spend months poring over old Sears catalogues and Redbooks to get design ideas for all the 70s garbage in every background shot, and they read the autobiography and cookbooks of that circus strongman guy they had in 10 minutes of one episode. They are the storyboard artists and background illustrators. Other shows have like 10 people doing each of the steps of making a cartoon show that take place before sending it to Korea. They do it all themselves.

I am really going to miss the 60s-70s aesthetic of the Venture compound. They did such a wonderful job with every part of it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also: Monarch and co. Are now basically in Rusty's back yard. I expect a few scenes of them commuting out to NYC on the freeway bitching about traffic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monarch has always been outmatched by Rusty, even though he's loving amazing at arching anybody who's not Rusty (Dr. Dugong, Captain Sunshine). His quest has always been quixotic and fueled by his love of hating Dr. Venture.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's been the subject of PBS documentaries and things like that before. I think he was better-known in the 70s/80s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We met on the livejournal!

Although honestly any reference post-1995 feels really unnatural, except for like Hulk Hands and anything 21-related for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly think the deal with Sunshine is that he's just really out-of-touch and completely innocuous, but so naive that he doesn't understand how he comes off. Like a single Ambiguously Gay Duo, but about child rape.