Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

I pretty much sound like a broken record but Ghosts of the Sargasso will always be the best for introduction. It pretty much showcases the characters personalities and its funny as poo poo to boot.

If you'd played by the rules, the GHOST PIRATE RULES, and just ran away, none of this would be happening!

Edit: Hank, if there was ever a time in your life I needed you not to be Hank, it's now.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fezz posted:

I was too. Surely there are posts in the archive from the adult swim thread at the time? Someone with archives should post some choice quotes.

The response was overwhelmingly positive, but this is by far my favorite:

clockworkjoe posted:

wow, a new show on adult swim that has a great first episode. I guess they'll never make another one

And here we are more than a decade later.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Illuminado posted:

Wasn't that already destroyed? Also, don't do it... Poor Mr. Reachy :smith:

It's okay, he still has his Shrinky Dinks.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Friends Are Evil posted:

Some of the names I found in the VA credits:

Steppenwolf
The Nerve
Sunsational
Monsenor

I'm guessing some of these are Council members? I just can't connect some of them. I think The Nerve is the brain in a robot suit and Monsenor is the priest at the funeral. Just have no idea who Steppenwolf or Sunsational could be. Any guesses?

I believe they said Steppenwolf was the Werewolf guy who was driving the car during the "Wacky Races" bit.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I got "man" from the sound of the word she said. It's not men. But if you really need some proof, you can look at the screengrab I posted earlier which came from the actual DVD. Who knows what lunatic is subtitling the Netflix version. It could be Brainulo, trying to cause trouble by getting goons to argue about something on the Internet.

Really, I don't get how people think it's "men." I mean, not driving while angry is a thing. It makes sense. Not driving men has never been a thing, as Ithaqua noted. And even if it were a thing, Dr. Girlfriend has driven men. She does it in the Season 3 finale, when she is taking her best men and the Monarch is taking his... men... to storm the Venture compound. She also flies it when they go to see Monstroso, and that's sort-of driving. And I think she's the one who drove to the homeschool prom, too.

If her character adamantly doesn't drive men, then why is she constantly driving men around?

"Maybe she just said it and they decided to let it go," some might say. To that, I ask, does Venture Bros. strike anyone as the kind of show that would just let a random, offhanded comment made by a character in an early season go ignored and unheeded because of the impracticality of actually using that comment to define a character trait of some kind later on?

C'mon. This show creates entire characters based on throwaway jokes. She doesn't drive mad.

And for the record, Brock was getting the boys' clothes so he could get their IDs. It's why the IDs are all charred when they get them in "Hate Floats."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tarlibone posted:

As for what I don't like... well, I would like to see some genius from Doc. Somewhat misguided, perhaps mildly evil, dangerously lazy but still undeniable genius. I haven't seen much like it since the joy can.

The really sad thing about Doc is that I get the feeling that if he weren't the 'Head' of his lab, he'd really excel. He's obviously gifted when it comes to science, I just think that he's not much of an idea man. If he was part of a team, if he wasn't thrust into the limelight because of his father's accomplishments, maybe even if he and JJ had been born at the same time, I think he could have contributed a lot to the scientific community. As it is though, he was set up for failure because his 'original' ideas are either unethical (Joycan, Oo-ray, Venturestein), not very good (GUARDO), or just rehashes of his Dad's old stuff (Hoverboots, Walking Eye, Learning Beds). But, put him in a situation where he needs to solve a defined problem, like losing his kidneys, and he has no problem turning HELPeR into a makeshift dialysis machine.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly I could use more of the Rusty we see when he is in the sewers with the cult. He just uses his insane luck/charisma to sweep them, and then when it turns to actual adventuring, he is able to shimmy up the rocket and slip out of the ropes like a circus monkey. i love that he was forced to grow up comepletely raw and want to see more of that scrappy resourcefulness, even in the lab, because it's his most redeeming quality for me.

Urbaniak's delivery of "I KILLED YOUR GOD" gets me every time in that episode. Doc's become so jaded by the super science and adventuring lifestyle that, even when being held hostage by a cult who worships his dad and lives in the tunnels under his house, he's more annoyed by the situation than scared.

It reminds me of the opening of Escape to the House of Mummies when the leader of the Osiris cult demands "Give me the hand of Osiris" and Doc responds "Give me head." He's seen this shtick before, he's seen it over and over again since he was a kid, and he can't even force himself to play along anymore. I think little jabs like that are Rusty's way of getting back at Jonas for filling his childhood with all the superscientist/supervillain crap. He sees through the charade now, he knows that supervillains enjoy the 'game' much more than actually blowing up the earth's core or whatever they're threatening to do, and by refusing to take it seriously he's calling his Dad out for caring about it so much.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FetusSlapper posted:

the boys trying to be helpful for Brock's test

THIS IS THE MOMENT

THE VERY INSTANT

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

door Door door posted:

Looks like the rumors were true.

So, how is Doc going to ruin JJ's fortune in 8 episodes?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Please keep writing this enthralling Venture Bros fan fiction. Screw super villains and super science, this season should be all about accounts and finance! Comedy gold!

Wooooo! I'm having Monstroso attack Venture with paperwork! Weeee!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Wait, what? When did that happen?

The eagle that Headshot shoots down by accident is the Sovereign. On my first watch, I just thought it was a joke about shooting a bald eagle, but we see him turn into it a few times. It's in Cremation Creek Pt. 2 for sure.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Machai posted:

P sure we see him turn into the eagle as he makes his escape that same ep

Yeah, I think you're right. I just wasn't putting two and two together when I first watched it, I was more concerned about Dr. Mrs. The Monarch not dying.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

He also calls The Monarch "Malcolm." Who the hell calls him Malcolm? At first I was going to disagree with you but then I read to that part. It became clear he just read some wiki pages and saw The Monarch's real name is Malcolm and wanted to seem like he was hip to Venture Brothers.

Whaaaaaat, is that in any of the episodes because I've watched this show quite a bit and I don't remember it ever coming up.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's his invisible dick.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know but it doesn't really matter that's what the joke was. Al picked it up and said "hey did anyone lose an invisible..." Squeeze squeeze "oh I'm keeping this" and he slides it up his sleeve.

That doesn't mean that the joke was it was his dick. It could have been the invisible arm that Phantom Limb had to have Dr. Impossible regenerate. Fake Rubber Fists are a thing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

But it's funnier as a dick joke?

prefect posted:

When Limb was attached to the machine that gave him powers, they never showed a penis-augmentation to match the arm and leg augments.

I mean, it's fine if you think it was Phantom Limb's dick, but that interpretation doesn't jive with any of the other information we've received about Phantom Limb in the show.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 27, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"At that point" is regardless. They've fleshed it out now and I'm not going to ignore all of it just to make a joke work. If, in the three seasons since that episode, they've mentioned Phantom Limb having an invisible dick or losing an invisible dick or Al having an invisible dick, that would be confirmation of what you're saying. They haven't. They HAVE made the fact that Phantom Limb had to reach out to Dr. Impossible to regrow his missing Arm and Leg part of the show.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: dude chill it's just a dick joke continuity isn't that important.

Yes, continuity is important. I don't doubt that it was originally written as a dick joke, but within the context of the series, Al picking up Phantom Limb's fist makes much more sense.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

:lol: You're sperging about a show with shapeshifting not-Bowie, clone boys, dog hitler and an Orb superweapon that the creators never had a idea on what it does so they just winged it and said it produced the brown noise.

I'm pointing out that in that show with a shapeshifting not-Bowie, clone boys, and dog Hitler, there was a scene where Phantom Limb put his limbs in muscle growth accelerators and gave himself invisible arms and legs. There is not a scene in this show where he puts his dick in a muscle growth accelerator and gives himself an invisible dick. That does not happen on screen during this show.

EDIT: And I'm really not sure why that is such controversial information :lol:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The joke was that it was his dick. I'm not really sure why this can't break through your autism.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Yes, continuity is important. I don't doubt that it was originally written as a dick joke, but within the context of the series, Al picking up Phantom Limb's fist makes much more sense.

"I don't doubt that it was originally written as a dick joke"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

What guy wouldn't give his dick electrical invisibility powers if they could? Phantom Limb perfected his growth accelerator machine off screen and gave himself another upgrade.

That is a possible explanation. It requires an assumption of events we aren't privy to, but it also makes sense. All I said in my first post was that it doesn't NECESSARILY have to be Phantom Limb's invisible dick for the joke to still work.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Lol, you're seriously overthinking a dick joke.

Yes, you are correct. I am overthinking a dick joke. I am discussing TV in a TV discussion forum.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I don't understand what you're even arguing about. The Monarch firmly established Phantom Limb has invisible meat for purposes of pounding very early on.

This is the closest thing anyone in this thread has presented to a credible argument for why it absolutely HAS to be his dick.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Dr. Girlfriend was pinned under Phantom Limb's leg. Al also picks up an unspecified invisible part of him. Phantom Limb is missing an arm and a leg the next time he appears in the show.

Just saying it could be his arm :shrug:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Not in that show it isn't. I've been saying "PLOT HOLE! AH!" ever since the revelation about Dermot and nobody paid attention to it! May I remember you that Doc admitted to not having had sex in 19 years back in the Qwymm episode?

Well, that also might be the result of Doc denying/repressing reality, but I see your point. There's plenty of contradictions between Trial of the Monarch and Shadowman 9 in regard to Dr. Girlfriend and The Monarch's backstory as well.

EDIT: The bit of dialogue from Trial of the Monarch I'm talking about :
Monarch: And there's a whole collage of you and Phantom Limb.
Dr. Girlfriend: All right, fine! I used to work for him. So what?
Monarch: Holy crap! Look at your costume! What, did Frank Frazetta design it for you? It's tiny! I can see your dirty pillows!

Except that we know that the Monarch knows Dr. Girlfriend used to work for Phantom Limb and what costume she was wearing at the time, because that's how they met.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 27, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tarlibone posted:

It's true that nobody in the Ventureverse is an eyewitness to the Sovereign's death. The OSIfolk know that Head Shot killed a bird, but that's as close as it gets.

That said, it's possible that Killinger knows.

Killinger and The Master both probably know.

Also, The Master is the only other shapeshifter in the series besides The Sovereign, right? Their names are pretty similar, too. Like The Monarch and The Viceroy. Maybe Sovereign was a wayward pupil of The Master.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

I think the point there was just 'it's been so long, I can't believe how loving skimpy that costume was'.

Yeah, I could see that. Also, from a little later in that same episode,

Monarch: Holy crap! What are you wearing? Is that your Queen Etherea suit? You're wearing your old costume now?
Dr. Girlfriend: My clothes were wet, and he-
Monarch: I can't believe you're falling for that floating smooth-talking jackass! I can't even look at you in that slut slut slutty slut suit!
Dr. Girlfriend: I was wearing this when you first met me. I don't remember you complaining then.
Monarch: That's because I had you out of that rag within the first five minutes of meeting you. I made you the Monarch's!

This conversation implies that he remembers more than he's willing to admit during his original testimony. Also, the original dialogue I posted is his TESTIMONY, so it would make sense that he'd tell the story in a way that makes him look better (the unaware boyfriend having problems dealing with newfound details about his partner's past) than the truth (an aware boyfriend having problems dealing with that information being made public, even though he already knew it).

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is this real? Are you being sincere? :lol:

What's your problem? I dropped the dick thing. Is someone analyzing a TV show really that unbelievable to you?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Machai posted:

how do we know? it's invisible

It's not Invisible, it just got sent 40 years into the future.

EDIT: Or on the moon with a whole bunch of rabbits and doves and playing cards and pretty assistants and some milk.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Hate Floats is the best episode of all time.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm totally keeping this thing, it's the first net cannon I've used that actually works! Most of the time they just mess up the guy's hair.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh I guess the muscular one is alright, but the boy is just going too far. Can't we just use the puppet again?

We're villains, you cry baby! We swing! I watched my wife suck Manta Claws dry and then make him breakfast!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm wringing my hands....menacingly.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
No, no, fun is number five, which simply states: "Dust Buster with Corner Attachment!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Pretty much every episode in Season 2 is a strong contender for best episode of the series, other than maybe State Dinner, which still holds a special place in my heart because "Honest Abe's a 'mo, that's what happened!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

And you're a tool, boy, built for a single purpose by the united states of shut your third god drat eye for a good loving reason. You can't teach a hammer to love nails. That dog won't hunt!

What about uhhhh Humanity and Empathy and all that garbage?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

Hank! Just because he's black doesn't mean he has the shining!

Where the heck did they put African America?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cloks posted:

JG Thirwell said in an interview that a second soundtrack for the show is coming in April.

It better have the fully version of the song Billy sings when he goes to University in Invisible Hand of Fate.

Suddenly, I'm not soo diff-er-ent!
Suddenly, I'm not soo all alone!

Who am I kidding, I'd pay $10 just for the I'm Rusty Dance Mix.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Well, Hank, what's it like to be a liar. Huh? You like being a liar with pants constantly on fire?

Hank, if there was ever a time in your life I needed you not to be Hank, it's now.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That boy's going to see a man die today and if he doesn't want it to be his father he's going to have to pull that trigger.

Dean, I remember when the Action Man would wake me up with a gun pointed at my head. He'd just hold it there and pull the trigger. I'd hear the click really loud because it was right against my forehead.

"So it echoes."

Right, it sounded like he snapped one of my teeth out. Click. And then he'd go "Not today, Rusty, not today."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fspades posted:

Lesson number one: Trust no one. The minute God crapped out the third caveman, a conspiracy was hatched against one of them. Get up, drat you!

You mean, le vampyr? Nosferatu? Undead. Not technically a woman in that regard, so you got no beef there. Also, fictitious.

DO NOT EAT THAT, IT'S C4!