Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

drat, it's been a month since I watched the movie, several years since I binged seasons 4-7 on the AS site and somehow I suddenly want to do nothing but talk about VB.

~IRT the birth of the boys. Rusty has love within him, but does not know how to love or be loved. The lack of affection and care in his life caused him to become insular and self-fixated. Rusty cares about Rusty because he's the only person that does.
~There's something tragic about Sheila and Debbie talking about Rusty like he has cooties, even if he does deserve it.
~IRT the Movie Night Massacre and the death of Jonas: Did I miss the part where it was shown that Vendata wasn't responsible? I thought the entire raid was him enacting a plan to murder Jonas. (Dr Z obviously didn't do a great job erasing his memory. It's a human brain, not a VHS Z. You can't just run a magnet over it). Speaking of, who even gathers together in a goddamn airlock?
~Irony: Team Venture decries Jonas turning Blue Morpho's remains into Venturion but then inflict a similar fate on Jonas him by sticking him in the P.R.O.B.L.E.M.
~I wonder if Rusty hallucinating Jonas on Gargantua 1 was due to his proximity to the P.R.O.B.L.E.M. I doubt even Jackson and Doc know.
~The one time you ever see Jonas legitimately pissed is at the end of season 6 when his plan to brainjack Vendata is going tits-up because people are telling him 'no'.
~I just watched a clip on Brick Frog. Sheila described his skillset as 'yelling his name' and 'holding a brick'. Not even 'throwing bricks'. Just holding them.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I always just assumed to follow ocham's razor IRT the Movie Night Massacre. Vendata is the person with the motive for wanting Jonas dead. Vendata organized the raid. Vendata pulled the lever.
Of course there was plenty of wiggle room for that to not happen.
As far as the P.R.O.B.L.E.M. goes; Team Venture sticking Jonas in there and then not telling anybody might be worse than what Jonas did to...does the Blue Morpho have a known civilian name?

Also: There's something that amuses me about Dragoon going all Christian at the warlock Halloween party. BLASPHEMER! YOU'RE NOT SANTA CLAUS! YOU'RE THE DEVIL!
(And something less amusing about his costume).
And I swear H Jon Benjamin wrote his own dialogue. It feels so 'Archer'.

As far as the show ending goes: I can accept it. A show that only gets a new season every 3 years or so is hard to love no matter how good it is. But it's an IP that just begs for ancillary material like games and comics.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I guess it's not that they did something hypocritical, it's that Jonas suffered a similar fate to Don and Team Venture were involved. Irony? Poetic justice?
I love that the rule on VB became 'never, ever assume anybody is actually dead.' Treister somehow survived spending months(?) naked in the vacuum of space. For all we know Jonas got teleported to another world that cured his cancer. Zero was probably hosed though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You keep using this and I have no idea what it means.

It's "In Regards To"

On a different subject: Anybody wonder what happen to Richie Valens (in the Venture Bros universe)? (For those unaware he was the 3rd musician who died in the tragic plane crash known as 'the day the music died' with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper. (Or as they are known in the VB universe Red Mantle and Dragoon).

Ghost Leviathan posted:

However, he's not good at it not only because he has massive trauma, stunted social skills and a poor understanding of the very different world he lives in, but because he has the vestiges of a conscience.

The difference between Rusty and Jonas: Jonas would have let Desmond drop.
https://youtu.be/aBNBeBXg5kw?t=77

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 24, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

pablo gbscobar posted:

And yet the unspoken tragedy is that for all his successful attempts to emulate him, JJ would still never be accepted by Jonas because of his physical deformities.

Jonas would try to 'fix' him like he 'fixed' Humungulo. (Actually I'm not 100% sure Jonas is responsible for that).
Jonas...loved Rusty as much as a narcissist is capable of loving another.
I'll admit I'm a little irked that they pivoted from 'Jonas is the hero' to 'Jonas is an unambiguous villain' from seasons 2-3 and never portrayed Jonas in any kind of positive light after that. The only time Jonas was portrayed as remotely human after that was when he looked guilty when young Quymn was ushered away when she tried to hug him.
It wouldn't bother me so much but Ben giving Hank that watch right at the end of the movie just made me go 'oh don't go starting this poo poo 3 minutes from the end of the series'

Also: my theory about Rusty/Malcolm's origin got debunked, but barely. I assumed Jonas was making a clone of himself in Jonas Jr but tainted the tank with Blue Morpho's DNA sample from also making Malcolm. When something that was very much not a clone of Jonas emerged from the tank Jonas just decided to go with it for whatever reason. Jonas Jr was...not explained but not every plot thread can be taut.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 25, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A few other things:

~ Monarch downplayed the role that his ex dating Rusty played into his hatred of Rusty (even if in reality she didn't). Then when pressed he couldn't give a solid answer as to why he actually hates Rusty so much. Seems like the subtext the real reason is just him flat out projecting his self-loathing onto another version of himself. Even if Monarch didn't know about their connection he likely felt some manner of similarity on an instinctual level. Monarch did say he hates himself more than most villains hate their arches.

~ Somebody pointed out something about Jonas beyond his simply monstrous narcissism: he couldn't face his failures. Venturion? Just threw him in the trash when he malfunctioned. Major Tom's crashed aircraft? Left at the bottom of the sea (out of 'respect for the dead' he said. Obviously a lie because you know, Venturion and all that). MUTHER malfunctions? Unplug her from the mainframe and forget about her. Don't go back for the orphans because they're another symbol of his failure with MUTHER. Go back for Humungulo? Well that's two failures down there. Jonas sure as hell wasn't going to deal with that. Given that this is a show about failure this shows in one way almost every single character in the show is better than Jonas in at least one way. Nobody else runs from their failures like Jonas does.

~ Also: who is your least favorite character and why is it Dermott? Gods I hate him. Just the absolute wrong combination of self-aggrandizing chuuni and vaguely aggressive not quite a bully but mostly because he's bad at being a bully type. He's also the least self-aware character in the series outside of Jonas.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 1, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

theflyingexecutive posted:

This wasn't subtext, it was text.

If you didn't know a Dermott growing up, it was you.

I knew a Dermott or two growing up. That's why I dislike Dermott so much.
Was it text? When was it text? I'm not doubting I just don't remember.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I can see where Dermott has redeeming features (he is a good friend/brother to Hank all things considered).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

He's also probably the only person walking around with Venture DNA that doesn't need a ton of therapy.

Going to counter argue this: Jonas Venture probably has illegitimate kids everywhere.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Doubtful Guest posted:

Hoping to do a rewatch with my partner - who'll be seeing it for the first time.

Which episode would you recommend starting with? I remember some of the first few being... of their time, but I don't know if they're required for setting everything up?

Tag Sale is definitely one of the best to start with. You really get a sample platter of what most of the principle characters are about.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

pixaal posted:

Dermot is a great character if you knew one in your life.

Moppets are easily the characters I dislike the most. When used well they have some great scenes they probably would have been better as another villains henchmen rather than Monarch's. They just don't fit most of the time and make scenes feel uncomfortable most of the time.

I wouldn't cut them though you cannot cut "What did we do? What did you do?
and "Your a bum Rock!"

The Moppets are the silver medal for me. I was so happy when they got killed in the season 5 finale. Creepy little weirdos who contributed nothing beyond being creepy little weirdos.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't think we ever saw Sgt. Hatred in his prime.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thing to retcon: If you're going to show Jonas as being an utter bastard do it from season 1, not season 3.
Although now that I think of it; if it was actually Jonas somehow projecting himself to talk to Rusty from the PROBLEM in Gargantua 1 then he definitely was a bastard from the get-go.
'What did you do to my ship?'
The irony being that there was probably nothing wrong with the ship in the first place until Rusty shorted out the controls with his defiled space suit. (Rusty's melted action figures probably weren't harming any of the infrastructure since now we now that the PROBLEM button had nothing to do with the ship's function).

Wait, did Jonas's size in that scene have anything to do with where his head was placed in the PROBLEM I wonder...

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 2, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

They tried to create a sympathetic pedophile character. but then played the characteristic for humor.
Bad idea. Really bad idea.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I ran into this scene on Youtube and there is probably no other scene that confuses me more than this.

https://youtu.be/G9CK7f95dn8

This isn't an accurate perception of the boys. This is from Doc's self-absorbed perspective. But I'm not even sure where he got it from.

Man, the idea that Doc thinks he doesn't need therapy because he 'grew up' is wrong and tragic. Group therapy was not for him. Also Captain Sunshine is the worst for ditching Wonder Boy when he grew up. "He's just very lonely" my rear end.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 5, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thinking on it: maybe Doc sees Hank as what he was as a kid and Dean as what he is as an adult. He can project himself and his own failures onto Dean as that's his present. Hank? He's a past Doc would rather bury in the backyard and distances himself accordingly all the while pitying Hank like he pities himself.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

For me it's always either Tag Sale or Victor Echo November.
I was a sucker for the Dean/Triana "romance". Coincidentally I also stopped watching for a decade or so after Operation P.R.O.M.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fun Fact: because of Venture Bros 'Lepidopterist' is the first word I ever used in Scribblenauts.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've decided Fat Chance/Choice is named Kevin Nash so him and Scott Hall can be Guild Outsiders together.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

limp_cheese posted:

Its also a great scene to show Brock's humility too. When JJ calls him out for being jealous he does admit he kinda is. Brock may be the epitome of cool and badassness, but he is still human and willing to admit when he feels non-cool and non-badass emotions.

It is the ultimate sign of being a badass: being so self-assured you don't need to prove yourself to anybody.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You know thinking on it Rusty is a pretty big argument against "Confidence is sexy. If you don't have it, fake it til' you make it." He always comes off as the smarmiest creep when he has his confidence mask on, but becomes much better at communicating/getting along with people once it slips off and he can just be real with people.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

She was a black widow, allegedly. Rusty went on the date knowingly because he assumed she'd at least bed him before she killed him.
Really a lot of that was on Brock by body guarding a little too hard. Black widows don't kill before they're in the will.
But then he cyberstalked her after the fact.
"I just gave the kids a snow day. What you're doing is illegal"
But what can you do but pity a man that low?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 12, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DACK FAYDEN posted:

didn't she have multiple dead rich husbands?

Yeah that was the deal.

Also I just saw this clip and realized: Rusty is a dog person. Malcolm is a cat person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtzHSIxxdlk

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think Brock and Doc did research before the date so I don't think it was rumors. But I watched all this like 5(?) years ago now.

Also: So many VB clips can be recontextualized now that we have the whole picture. Like how it makes complete sense for the horde of zombie Deans and Hanks in Rusty's mind to mistake the monarch for their dad.

https://youtu.be/lxZpQwEQdsg

We know Rusty is a piece of poo poo like 95% of the time but I can't feel anything but pity for him.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 13, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh gods...a cursed thought.
Billy Quizboy x Nikki Fictel (Dermott's sister/mother). They can bond over being Rusty Venture fanatics and Billy can maybe win her over if she assumes his eyepatch and his robot hand was part of his own life as a badass boy adventurer.
...Just the most cursed happy ending you'll ever see.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 16, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The investors did. They could have just gotten regular prostitutes but nooooo they wanted to do it themselves.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Even if he is there's no relation between the two*. Besides, Jonas could well be the Ghengis Khan of North America in the VB universe with how much he got around.
I just wish for a happy ending for Billy. He lost the genetic lottery about as hard as anybody who has seen the age of 37 can.

Also; I never recall seeing any evidence that Dean is cut out for super science. Unlike Hank who has shown a core of hyper-competence covered in lairs of ADHD and naivete.

*Wait, was it ever pointed out that Jonas might carry the dwarfism gene bewteen Billy and Jonas Jr?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 16, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I mentioned that because I came to the conclusion that after season 3-4 Hank has all the highlights and Dean just didn't do much. I feared it's because Dean simply became...kinda useless. But I realize that if he's useless it's because unlike Hank, he's not cut out for this world and simply craves normality. A season 8 would be weird because the cast would be scattered. Doc would be back in Colorado, Dean would be in New York. Hank wouldn't belong anywhere and since there would be no need for OSI to directly oversee Doc's security because he's more or less broke again who knows what Brock would do. Malcolm suddenly finds himself in a position where the guild won't interfere with his arching of venture but the OSI might have something to say about an EMA 10 villain arching a considerably diminished Doc. They established an amazing supporting cast in New York that would mostly be sidelined.

Another realization: we've spoken of the cycle of abuse from Jonas to Doc and Doc to the boys but the sort of abuse is somewhat inverted. Jonas outwardly treated Rusty with admiration and affection and I believe Jonas loved Rusty as much as a sociopathic narcissist is capable of loving anybody but themselves (a low bar). But he treated Rusty like crap, probably not understanding that he was doing anything wrong and pushing against any insistence to the contrary. Outwardly Doc is distant, self-absorbed and an rear end in a top hat to the boys (especially Hank). But when his mask of self-absorbed behavior slips you realizes he loves the boys a lot but A: doesn't know how to love because he has no frame of reference and B: has created a level of cognitive dissonance to cope with the fact that he's gotten them killed over a dozen times.

Going back to Dean for a second. He messed up by screwing his brother's girlfriend. Nobody knows that more than Dean. But man, Dean was seriously deprived of any kind of human connection so it's no wonder he did it. At least Hank had a non-toxic father figure in Brock, a friend in Dermott (as much as I dislike the fucker he was a good friend/brother to Hank) and he had already lost his virginity (even if he didn't remember it). Dean was so starved for affection he resorted to Myra. The only other person he bonded with on any level was Triana, which was always a weird relationship and one that ended very poorly. I mean for gods' sake Dean was getting isolated on a cosmic level with The Master telling Triana to ditch the scene. An ancient font of magical knowledge told Triana 'gently caress that genetically warped dork'. Dean may have been his father's favorite but that didn't do him many favors because again, Doc doesn't know how to love.

I wonder what drove Myra over the edge. Did she just realize Doc didn't love her the way she loved him. Did she realize she was being used? It's really a tragedy when you think about it. If Myra had gone completely insane she could have been a mother figure the boys desperately needed.

One more thing: I just watched the end of Dr. Quymn. For years I thought Dean ruined the closest thing Doc could have had to a healthy relationship* (he certainly didn't help) but seeing it I realize it was Ginny who was really responsible. Buuut hearing Ginny's ranting in that scene she said something about 'putting a seed in her belly and abandoning her again'. Now Ginny had an unhealthy romantic attachment to Dr. Quymn and she might not have been talking about Doc specifically, but if she was...wow screw Rusty. He doesn't deserve that.

*ignoring the potential of a blood relationship between the two.

There is just so much to unravel in this show.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 17, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LividLiquid posted:

God dammit.

Now I want to watch the season where Monarch has to be Rusty's friend and build him back up into a sufficiently-leveled protagonist so that he can arch him again, but they wind up liking each other and that's why time-traveling Doc is on a first-name basis with him.

Alternately: An episode where Dean comes home from college on vacation and The Monarch can't arch Rusty while he's there without violating the conditions of the bribe he took to 'leave Dean alone'. So he keeps trying to stealthfully lure Dean away or otherwise separate them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Monarch hatches the perfect plan for killing Rusty but Sheila or 21 foil him from the shadows because they both know without Rusty to arch Monarch would be nothing but a broken man.
Stinger. He learns of their treachery but lets it go because he knows it too.

Unrelated: Having checked with the end of Dr Quymn again it turns out Rusty is not the person who knocked up Tara and bailed. That happened when she was a teen and Rusty hadn't seen her since he was 10. Ginny was just freaking out.
Actually that opens up more questions. (If her twins came from that they'd be in their 20s)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 18, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ironslave posted:

Don't think too hard about the series' timeline. It's a mess on account of the show being made over the course of twenty years with new story being backfilled every season. Pay no attention to dates on tombstones. What's more important is what events happened in relation to each other. Brilliant bit of writing to explain how they went from home lines to smartphones in only two in-setting years with JJ, though.

In this case it's a matter of assuming that Tara had her girls as a teen and Rusty didn't have the boys until his 20s.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember way back during Dean's emo phase there was a lot of speculation of Dean on the path to becoming a villain and ending up arching Hank. He has shown a bit of talent for super-science with rebuilding Helper to initial schematics, though Rusty thinks robotics is a dead end in his usual stellar display of priorities. (Actually the mass market Helper disaster probably was an influence there)

It's easy to picture Dean one way or another being 'Well if I can't get out of this mess then I'll make it everyone's problem!'

That said it would also definitely end up like this at least half the time.

Rusty is just the worst businessman.
Idea pitch for sales convention:
Silent Washing Machine: No.
Mind Control Gas: Yes, this is clearly something we can and should mass produce and will absolutely be allowed to sell to consumers.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 18, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

From watching a clip last night I realized that Grover Cleveland's Time Machine storyline took place so far along the VB storyline Doc just called Monarch 'Malcolm'
I also realized that Dr Killinger was not a guy impersonating Kissinger, he actually was Kissinger in the VB story. He made a throwaway comment about Nixon. (He is like ze proud papa). I know he's a villain enabler but I didn't think he was THAT bad.
It also never occurred to me that the blastoff from the poop rocket killed all the tunnel orphans.
Also: Dragoon was loving BUILT in the 10 seconds his whole body was on screen. Or that the bird shot accidentally in the last ep with the sovereign actually was the sovereign.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's kinda sad that Doc doesn't want to be a bad person but is incapable of being a good person.
But those blue glasses were just a bad fashion choice on Killinger's part.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That having been said, all those college interns mutating and Rusty exploiting it in 'What color is your clean suit' is one of those things that would be awful even by villain standards.
Easily the worst thing that Rusty ever did. Worse than the circumstances behind Dermott's birth. Worse than using an orphan's heart for the joy can (and seriously that is some magic bullshit. How was Rusty super scienceing an orphan's heart?)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gaius Marius posted:

They knew the risks

I don't think they did.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sheila is hyper competent and probably could succeed at whatever she wanted to do.

That having been said. The council of 13 could probably use some diversity though. One Asian, one woman, one and a half red people (I mean literally red people, Red Death and Radical Left) and the rest is white dudes. I think. Was Phage white? Dot Matrix for Co13. Also Think Tank if and when he gets better but he probably has some arching to get out of his system first.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 2, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It makes since that Sheila would love Monarch for his passion since it's the only thing she lacks. He completes her. That's why she broke it off with Phantom Limb twice. He's too pragmatic. She was like a nuclear scientist without a demon core.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 3, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41p7E-lRVH8&lc=UgyuwgEgCgtdeU_em3t4AaABAg

So I just watched the above clip again on a lark and paused it on Brick Frog's dossier page. It confirms what Sheila implied about Brick Frog. He never actually throws the bricks. (Either that or he has REALLY bad aim).

"Notes on Affiliate: Reliable but incapable of competent violence outside of basic intimidation. (Holding a brick with intent to throw same).

Below that: Apparently his origin story is that he owned a brick works store that was bought out by the company he arches.

Note on the other page: "Could benefit from one of the Guilds [redacted] such as "Big Villain"

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 3, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

drat it! I re-read the dossier and it has 'Brick Throwing' as one of his special abilities. How did I miss that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Chieves posted:

Wow, this was actually a good show, did anyone notice???

Apparently not enough did :smith:

The show ran for 15-20 years depending on if the movie counts and only had 7 seasons to its name. The incredibly slow turnaround probably had no small part in its demise either.
Look at it this way; it didn't stick around long enough to become the villain.