Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sash! posted:

Alamo drafthouse is big on this sort of thing. Weird that the one in DC isn't.

The one in DC is brand new, but yeah, it sucks that they're not doing this.

*double-checks on Fandango, then notices it already happened nowhere near him* :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Rewatching season 4 made me realize, this is going to be the first season without 24. :smith: 21 and 24 had some of the best conversations in the whole series, it's sad to know that he's (actually) permanently written out of the show.

"You can't yell at us for following orders!"

"Or kill us for following orderrrrs."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

axleblaze posted:

God drat, that was INSANE!

Now the difficult task of figuring out a new thread title...

The Venture Brothers Season 5: "Why do you still have tits?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

I love St. Cloud's villain outfit. Does anyone else think that his albino sidekick's outfit looks like a recolored Wonderboy's?

I can see it now:

"It issss a verry raaare prrooototype of the orriggginal Wuuunderboyy costuume...only onnne iss knowwn toooo existtt."

I *really* wanted whoever was going to pop out of the Batmobile to be voiced by Kevin Conroy. I really hope they got him back for this season.

Oh *poo poo* yes, Kevin Conroy IS back this season: http://www.awn.com/news/television/venture-bros-returns-season-5

"In season five, The Venture Bros. welcomes the guest voice talent of Aziz Ansari, Paget Brewster, Wyatt Cenac, Kevin Conroy, Bill Hader, John Hodgman, Gillian Jacobs, Kate McKinnon, Tim Meadows, J.K. Simmons, and Brendon Small."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 4, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

X_Toad posted:

In retrospect, there were a few scenes with Captain Sunshine in the trailers, we could have guessed as much.

Not necessarily. As I recall, there was a post-Hank-as-Wonderboy appearance/cameo of Captain Sunshine where he didn't speak.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 4, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I liked when Gary came to the realization that Rusty and the Monarch are basically the same level of sociopath. If anything, the Monarch is more laudable because he's got a woman who loves him who doesn't have to be paid to do so, and he actually has a *reason* to be a dick since he's a card-carrying supervillain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lupus Rufus posted:

IN reply to whether Dean will remember being a clone, I don't see why he wouldn't. It would cheapen the Halloween episode significantly if he forgot it, and I don't think Doc and Jackson would do that. It seems like it would just wipe their memory of everything that just happened and they might all think it was just a dream or hallucination that they became a mutant super race for the past few months.

Also, when I rewatched the Halloween episode, it suddenly made sense why Doc was so adamant that Dermott use the doorbell instead of wandering in. Though it does make him more of an rear end: now he knows Dermott is his kid, so he's distancing the guy even further from his family, even though there's not much reason to.

Onwards, to the rest of Season 5!!!!

To say nothing of the fact that all they need to do is bring back J.K. Simmons' character (which supposedly will happen) and have him ask "feeling better about being a clone?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tiger Crazy posted:

Man this show would be so good with hour long episodes.

It would, but I think we'd be waiting 2-3 years between seasons if it were the case. Maybe longer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I know - I just meant it'd become *routine*. The delay between 2 and 3 and 4 weren't as long as 4 to 5.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

X_Toad posted:

I'm just worried that Ben will come along and we will discover then that Dean doesn't remember him or what they talked about. I'm mainly worried because he doesn't remember who Thalia is and he's met her before Halloween, and presumably interacted with her a lot more than with Ben.

You're/we're overthinking this way too much, but it's conceivable that once he finds out he has a new room that it might be a shock to his system to allow him to remember SOME of what happened. Knowing the way VB is written, he'll remember Thalia but she won't remember him, and he'll just become a stalker or something (potential supervillain root, maybe).

I'm also wondering what happened to the streaked-hair chick from Victor-Echo-November. I remember her being mentioned last season but for the life of me I can't remember in what context.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 5, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My guess for this season's jaw-dropper/cliffhanger?

Jonas Senior is still alive (having been in stasis or something) or gets resurrected. Hopefully J.J. then gets to find out how much of an rear end in a top hat his father really was.

Kano never *confessed* to killing Jonas Sr., he just lapsed back into his trademark silent treatment, which could be as simple as having been sworn to secrecy by Jonas. My guess, he wanted to be put on ice until such a time that technology would have advanced to the point where he could repair Orb - and Rusty, J.J., OSI, the Guild, *and* Phantom Limb's little offshoot have to band together to stop him.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 6, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

M_E_G. ADI. K posted:

I dunno how over henching he is; SPHINX commander has got to have better uses for his time then perimeter patrol.

He hasn't gotten the brainwave to start recruiting yet. He's still in 'useful cog'/henchman mode.

Knowing Gary, though - he'd probably recruit at local Ren Faires and comic conventions. I can see it now:

"Dude, who smells like poo poo?" *sniffs everybody* "You! Recruit Roose Bolton, why do you smell like poo poo?"

"My mom hasn't done my laundry this week, sir!"

"Y...*facepalms*...UNACCEPTABLE! From now on you're to be known as Recruit Reek!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 9, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's not an hour long like the premiere, though. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I hope with every fibre of my being this reveal turns out to be so incredibly depressing that all the theory sperges cry themselves to sleep.

Something as basic as 'Jonas Snr. and the Monarch family where friends before the plane crash.' Nothing more. No brothers, no genetic clones, no slave babies - just another broken orb.

My guess (which I'm sure someone else made in the past 400+ posts I haven't read) is that The Monarch will be Rusty's *half-brother* because Jonas Sr. had his parents over for a key party.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LashLightning posted:

Great episode, even if only for the revelation that L. Ron Hubbard is a ghost inhabiting a robot body (Perhaps maybe a connection to that Ghost Robot superhero?) and also a super-villain.

LRH wasn't a 'ghost' so much as his 'spirit' left his robot body (the same way Scientologists said it did when he died in '86). The thing that didn't make sense about it is that if that was in the 60s and 70s, he was still alive then.

Umph posted:

Really not feeling St Cloud.

Give it time. Monarch was pretty lame his first few outings as well, but came into his own. I think part of the reason St. Cloud's a bad supervillain is that he hasn't given Billy and White adequate reason to consider him anything other than a nuisance. I think that might change after this episode simply because St. Cloud actually *did* try to kill White.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 26, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Was this mentioned previously in the Venture Bros universe, or are you saying it doesn't make sense because it contradicts real life?

Because if it's the latter, I have news for you... David Bowie isn't actually a shapeshifter and leader of the Guild of Calamitous Intent.

No, really? :stare:

\/\/\/\/ EDIT: Probably. Might've been his 'Thetan Form.'

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Miltank posted:

There are very few no posts that this doesn't fit perfectly with.

"Kyanka is a friend."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

e X posted:

The show is really just about making fun of the various cliches of saturday morning cartoons, so the only real twist would be if it suddenly would get serious about anything.

"Victor Echo November" and the last few minutes of the "Operation P.R.O.M." are really the only times anything ever got serious, and coincidentally, they're thought of as among, if not the best episodes they've done.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You know, they really should explain how St. Cloud went from a non-affected "ooh, girly mags" in Tag Sale and the Quizboys flashback to his current voice by saying that he suffered from an acute bout of "excess smugness" in his teenage years. That or he tried to have his voice altered to sound like Hank's so he could crack the Venture Compound's voice recognition systems and steal some one-of-a-kind items, and something went horribly wrrrrrronnngggg because his surgeon wasn't a frrrriennnd.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cobalt Chloride posted:

So I'm dumb and thought that the Apollo reference was the the Apollo 1, and that it meant L Ron was really responsible for the fire, and that they were worried for Wally because he was part of the backup crew.

But it being Apollo 7 probably makes more sense, since Wally was actually on that one and since Team Venture probably stopped whatever L Ron had planned. :downs:

Go to hell Ron, L Ron.

I think we're all overthinking that badge waaaay too much: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/11/l_ron_hubbard_c.php

He was in the Navy during WW2 and loved sailing (supposedly outside international waters so he could get up to certain questionable things) and since he bought the ship in 1968 it makes sense he'd name it Apollo and give it a "navy-like" designation of CVS-1...despite that article not mentioning that string at all.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 30, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This episode loving ruled.

Of course Gathers telling Brock that Molotov was assigned to just kill the *traitors* in OSI made me think - she actually DID try to kill Shore Leave, but went dry on both Uzis. This suggests that Shore Leave's dirty. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 1, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

Or that Gathers is crazy. Or that it's a double bluff and that Molotov knew that Shore Leave took the clips out. Keep in mind, he was the only one who survived that volley. Not even poor Bum Rush made it out of that bloodbath. Shore Leave? Not a scratch! That was drat near surgical.

Not to lapse into another "Hubbard + Apollo" thing but you have a point about how carefully she shoved him into the closet - she'd know the weight of a loaded Uzi and a spent one instinctively.

That being said, Brock's scream when she started loving Monstroso was priceless, as was seeing the Brock/Mol first encounter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LP97S posted:

I guess if you want to get into more crazy territory, was Molotov's dad trying kill Ted Turner or Gorbachev :tinfoil:?

Probably Gorby. He was never popular with the hard-liners, especially early on, before he built up political capital with Reagan with the arms reduction talks and Perestroika/Glasnost. I can't remember if they gave a *year* for the Goodwill Games.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pick posted:

Man, Rusty was sleeping real loving cozy on Hatred, jeez.

Those aren't pillows, man!

Given how infrequently Rusty gets laid or is able to *pay* to get laid I'm sure he was nuzzling by instinctive necessity, to say nothing of the fact that while we know a healthy amount about Jonas Venture Sr. we've never learned a single fact about Rusty's mother, so he probably has some pretty unhealthy 'mommy' issues.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

It's stated that he's been calling in the past because of "arch terminated by a third party". I think we're reading a bit too much into this one, I man Jonas Jnr. Also has a direct line.

I still think somehow Jonas Sr. is still "alive" and in stasis or something. Hell, make the plotline that he stole Walt Disney's (or Brisby's) cryo-stasis unit or something because he picked up the world's first antibiotic-resistant strain of the Clap from an unnamed villain's Femme Fatale, and have him thawed now that we've got better stuff. It'd be formative for both Rusty and J.J. since Rusty'll finally get to stand up to him and J.J. will learn he needs to stop idolizing and carrying on the legacy of a horrible man.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 17, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Edit: I'm surprised at how well Hank and Dean adapted to life with their godfathers.

I'm not. Both were self-absorbed cocksuckers just like Rusty, but they were both self-absorbed cocksuckers whose demands of their godsons were less than what Rusty wanted, and unlike Rusty, both could easily take care of themselves despite being of advanced age.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, couldn't the Monarch have broken a pretty big Guild law by revealing that Dr. Mrs. the Monarch is the newest member of the Council of Thirteen?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I really don't know that he does. He just wants to have the upper hand. The idea is that the O.S.I. keeps the guild from getting to Sphinx levels.

I mean, if he wanted to take down the guild completely, he could have just bombed the hell out of the nightclub. They just keep them under control so there's more "antagonizing super scientists" and less "take over the world" poo poo going on.

"Eliminate the Guild? Now why would I go and do something stupid like that, boychik? The Guild scares all the old farts in Congress who remember what they *used* to be capable of before the Council of Thirteen started collecting Social Security. What do you think keeps this floating Cold War relic airborne? GULLIBLE OLD MEN making GBS threads IN THEIR DEPENDS! All we have to say is 'Guild operative' in a closed hearing of the House Intelligence Oversight committee and we get enough funding to buy a small country."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 23, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa.

An actual house in NJ, which is where The Monarch's parents' plane was said in the show to have crashed. Gotta give it to the creators.

e: VVV possibly. I saw it somewhere else, but may have missed it if it was posted here as well.

Monarch definitely has some Jersey DNA in him. You can just tell it from his looks. The Monarch butterflies also 'summer' in Cape May, NJ.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also noticed on second watch the vaguely-disguised trope from Prometheus in regards to Dr. Entmann (the tiny guy) getting crushed by the rocking chair because he ran lengthwise to the descending leg, when he could've run sideways or diagonally and lived.

In regards to Zin, though - for as many characters as they brought in/back I'm surprised Action Johnny didn't get into one episode, maybe even as an inmate/patient at the loony bin.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I was too busy laughing at how his hatred and anger for Gary turns into,"Oh God Gary get out of there you might get hurt! :ohdear:"

Now that Dr. Mrs The Monarch is going to be The Monarch's boss, I wonder if The Monarch will take on 21 as his new #2? The Monarch and The Viceroy vs Dr. Venture and Sergeant Hatred has a nice ring to it.

Actually, I think the exact words were "Oh God Gary I still hate you but you gotta get outta there" or something to that effect. And I also thought that DMtM made it pretty clear she was going to remain his #2 in spirit even if she technically outranks him by many factors now.

That being said, I can't wait to find out what happens to the Moppets. They were clearly not in tow with the Monarch, DMtM, and Twenty-One.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I really hope there's an Almost Famous episode next season, where Dean tries being a reporter by going on the road with Shallow Gravy. Maybe Hank can get loaded on drugs (or, more likely, coffee) and jump off a roof in his Batman costume.

"I AM THE NIIIIIIGHT!" *jumps into a pool that's only six feet deep*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I kind of felt like we missed half a season in there.

We'll probably hear all about it when it comes out on DVD/Bluray.

"We totally planned to do six more episodes this season but we were way too busy on side projects and occasional merchandising opportunities."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I imagine they only activate the clone slug of the person who died, and then they tell the person who survived some bullshit lie about how they were resurrected by magic or something.

I think Brock killed them so there wouldn't be any potential realization. Remember the episode where Hank realizes Brock's thought about killing him and Dean?

Fake edit: and I see others have come up with this several times already.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

revolther posted:

Eh, I think Rusty being evil or villainous is kinda subjective. It kinda seems like Rusty is honestly emulating his father without the rose-tinted glasses. It's just not socially acceptable in the modern age to break a few eggs for your science omelette.

I mean we've seen that Jonas Sr in spite of being seen as a heroic icon was capable of some monstrous behavior in the name of science; the guy gassed a group of orphans touring his facility and abandoned them, also abandoned the growing/shrinking team member Dr. Entmann in the same accident, dooming major Tom in another, and experimented with brain washing for military purposes. He also abandoned Hector and Swifty in the manufacturing wing for 20 years, and kinda ran Team Venture like a personal hit squad. All beyond being a completely self obsessed swinger who would pawn his kid off on anyone to chase strange.

All sorta makes Rusty's indifference to orphan bodies, militarizing reanimated corpses, groupie humping, and lackadaisical parenting as an apple fallen not too far from the tree.

Rusty is his father's son - at least character-wise. If anything, he hates his twin because 1) he reminds him of his father, and 2) everyone likes Jonas Jr. more even though it's been shown he has a good amount of his father's contempt for and penchant to use and abuse 'the little people.' But he also has *just* the right amount of 'desire to help his fellow man' that it makes Rusty hate him all the more because he's completely incapable (both morally and physically) of considering doing something that doesn't have a profit margin attached to it.

If anything, I've always thought Brock was there to *keep* Rusty from becoming his father. Sort of like a really hosed up six-and-a-half-foot-tall moral compass with a really sharp point. Also, don't forget Rusty's Superego - it was basically a red-headed Jonas Sr.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 21, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

prefect posted:

Brock was there to keep an eye on the Orb. :tinfoil:

I know, but at the same time, Brock HAS been shown to actually care about the Venture family. He even mentions them as being his family in Victor, Echo, November.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 21, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sash! posted:

It literally dropped from Sunday when it was $45 :monocle:

They probably got a shipment in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like that there is a none-zero chance we'll see the Sovereign and General Triester again.

I didn't catch it on first viewing, but the entire light sabre battle was in their heads.

If he's a straight up comic-grade Hulk, a nuclear explosion would just piss him off - they've tried nuking Banner's Hulk dead-on no less than three or four times, I think. I expect them to visit the moon and just have Treister up there bouncing around or sequestered in some ultra-secret OSI moon base, because I thought of Space Cowboys as he rode the control tower out of orbit (Tommy Lee Jones' character had pancreatic cancer in that and rode a satellite out of Earth's orbit that had a ton of nukes strapped to it).

Treister Hulk: "Ever wonder why the moon don't rotate, son? 'Cause the orig'nal Guild, 'fore it went all evilly sneevilly, used th' Orb t'make it stop spinnin' so's we could have a spot t'meet an' negotiate with E.T. on th' Dark Side."

Dean: "But what about the moon landings? And we didn't have rockets to *get* to the moon until the 60s."

"Heh! The first five of 'em were as fake as a politician's promise. The rest of 'em were a real pain in the pucker since people we're gettin' 'spicious - so we had'ta capture and brainwash the command module pilot every time he came 'round back. Apollo 13, though - them boys was never in any danger - we brought 'em down, partied like it was nine-teen-ninedy-nine, then sent 'em home. Shame 'bout Swigert, though - we told'im not to go havin' ~relations~ with them neon green sex slaves from the Whosimawhutsit's delegation 'cause they were radia-active, but he didn't listen. The cansker got'im. Cansker...I HATE CANSKER!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 20, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Red posted:

Worry not: Rusty will blow his newfound wealth in 2-3 episodes, and will rebuild the old Venture compound in hilarious fashion.

It'll get hostilely (and *passionately*) taken over by that techno-eroticist ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

Did anybody else catch that the Monarch and 21 weren't in any danger at all? The autopilot in that rocket would have (tried to) take them to Gargantua 1.

If 'in no danger' you mean stranded in orbit aboard a rocket neither knew how to fly, headed towards an empty pocket in either low/high/geostationary earth orbit or in one of the stable Lagrange points...then yeah.

----

~Destination Reached~

"The fu...where's the goddamned space station?"

"Ooooh...this thing was programmed to go to Gargantua *One*, which Jonas Sr. put at L4. Junior put G2 at *L5*."

"What is this, 'Battleship?' Speak English! And you didn't think to tell me this *BEFORE* I pressed the loving launch button?"

"Dude, I was half petrified that the rocket engines on this thing would explode from lack of proper maintenance, and the other half was like, ~SPAAAAAAAAACE~. And it wasn't so much a 'press' as a Rick James - you totally Rick Jamesed that launch button."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 21, 2015