Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

So this is my first time seeing what Sigma and _____ look like.
Who had Page 1 for first breaking of the spoiler rules? Anyone?

Off to a good start. Here's the link to only Fedule's posts in the thread, for people who don't know that that's what the little ? does.

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I love that right off the bat there's implications of some weird stuff going on. The name Zero III sets up that not only is Akane out of action somehow but that someone else replaced her (maybe Aoi but who knows) and has also been removed. It's been a while since the events of 999, it seems?

And it only just clicked while writing the above that Zero III is a rabbit and that was a thing from the last game. Everything owns. Let's do this.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

theshim posted:

But then, if we have ____________________
ARE YOU PEOPLE EVEN loving TRYING.

Come on people! Raise your game!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
As an avid 999 follower, its gotta be Alice, even though explanations about her are no doubt quite a ways away.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

xxlicious posted:

It's very obvious and in your face about the fact that it's a performance.
Akane's tiny child old self found the whole "sinister abstract presence" thing just so boring last time, so I'm guessing Zero III is so cute and chipper and wacky for the benefit of any kids whose ADD brains are along for the ride.

i.e. us.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
They're in Germany and the door says "no".

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

ApplesandOranges posted:

I suppose another possibility is primary colours can pair up with any secondary that has their primary as one of the bases
I was thinking the exact opposite! What if a primary color can only mix with the one secondary color that doesn't contain it?

Red & Cyan, Green & Magenta, Blue & Yellow. Those get you into... three white doors?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
The game gives us the choice of Red/Green/Blue doors, but there are only two paths as a result of that choice. It would appear that one choice will put us on the same path as another, but probably with slightly different dialogue. Either that, or there's a quick snippet of "NO IDIOT" before we have to re-choose.

maswastaken posted:

Isn't it really freaking obvious that one of the round 2 door options are invalid and it's the one K explicitly stated wasn't acceptable?
Yeah. Given that there is no readily apparent reason for anyone to stop you going through Blue with K, I would like to encourage everyone to vote for Red, just to see what happens.

Not necessarily this round of voting, but definitely before we go through Blue!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Bearing in mind the flowchart from way back: If we could work out which one of these three choices won't work I think it'd be super cool to see what happens if we try it.

e: I imagine that one's Quark. Let's see what happens if we try to drag his body around.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I gotta see how the game reconciles Sigma forcing his way past Clover to stop her hitting Betray with him suddenly deciding "ahh gently caress it" and hitting it himself.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Alright he's clearly an irredeemable dick can we betray him now, please?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Hot drat, that's even less of an ending than the Coffin in 999.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
We've seen Sigma pull knowledge out of the Visual Novel ether, it is possible that others can do it as well.

Besides that, we've also seen in 999 that events can be nebulous until observations force them into a certain shape. June's fate and Seven's past were up in the air until, suddenly, they weren't. If we haven't seen it through Sigma's POV, then it could be different when Sigma makes a different decision, and could have influenced Alice's (and, our) decision. The rooms behind the Yellow and Magenta doors, and the events that occurred behind them, may have changed. Maybe the rabbit turns up and says something hilarious to Clover and Alice picks up on the positive vibes. Or maybe Alice didn't even make a decision. When Sigma and Phi arrived, the Warehouse was already empty. Maybe Alice auto-allyed because K hit her on the head with a big fuckin rock he found in the wherever-it-was-he-went-I-don't-remember that wasn't there last time.

And I don't recall anything suggesting that this can't apply to events from before the beginning of the game, also! Backstories could have changed. Perhaps its easier to trust a pair of strangers if, for example, your Dad wasn't killed by a group of terrorists? What I'm saying is that the scope for the story to go utterly batshit is incredibly wide, even before you introduce the possibility of multiple characters being able to see through the window in the fourth wall. poo poo's hosed, yo.

In other news: I'm glad that we got around to making a different choice on a Round 1 AB game. We know from our other runs that the combination of door choice and AB Game choice results in a different set of coloured bracelets, so I'm interested to see if the AB choice alone gives us different options from here out.

e: fewer redundant bullshit words. not none though

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 10, 2014

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Just so I'm clear: We just flipped the decision which ended up with Dio and Quark coming out of the AB room acting real weird, right?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Back during the 999 LP I thought that a factor in unlocking different endings would be to somehow get to specific rooms with specific sets of people. That didn't turn out to be possible there, and I don't think it will be possible here.

Beyond each of the Red/Green/Blue doors is an antechamber with three doors and a lever. The lever opens one of the doors when pulled. Given that only Door decisions appear to effect bracelet colours, then there are only three possible sets of people that Sigma can enter each RGB door with. It would make sense for each of the three doors in the lever rooms to correspond to one of these sets. It's also presumably a game design decision. With 9 possibilities for what happens to Sigma at this stage, it probably makes more sense to develop 9 distinct escape sequences, rather than 3 escape sequences with 3 variations depending on which characters you happen to take with you.

At the moment, what all of this means is that all of the coloured door choices available are likely to take us to new escape sequences that we haven't seen before. There is one exception, though, and it's what I'd like to try.

By doing ~/cyan/betray/blue, we'd be doing something that we haven't yet done on this playthrough, which is insisting that we stick around with the same person through a Chromatic Door after changing our AB Game decision. This will take us with Alice through (probably!) the Garden. This case in particular has a bit of a wrinkle because of how Alice's AB game decision flips so it's always the opposite of ours. That's kinda hosed up. I think there could be something valuable to learn about the fuckitude by sticking with her. What sort of things change in and around an escape sequence when its with someone we successfully Betrayed instead of the other way around?

In a similar vein, I'd also like to go ~/magenta/betray and then later through green, but convincing y'all to betray Luna isn't something I want to even approach right now tbh.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Ally, in the hopes that there's a plot lock immediately afterward titled "Where can I find a brick?"

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

We only made it out the 9 door. Soon we'll be shocked to discover that on the other side is another warehouse.
Pff, probably just the same warehouse again.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
cd ~/cyan/ally/blue/betray

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Revenge of the quantum anime blue shell.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I feel like the drawn out pace of an LP versus actually playing the game is maybe having an impact here.

I don't blame people for getting invested in the question "What happens when we betray the old man who betrayed us?" over the course of however long its been here, but I don't read it as (and the game doesn't seem to present it as) a mystery. "Oh he changes his mind by magic" isn't as big a letdown to me when I figure that the question only really presented itself a few hours ago. The bigger questions like "okay well fuckin why?" are what I'm looking for, and if that sucks then I'll get super mad, but this reveal here is kind of a baby pigeon imo

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Someone use magical foreknowledge to vote on my behalf for whatever option is the quickest route to having Clover explain how she knows Tenmyouji because holy poo poo. Thanks!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Which timeline is the "Dio is inexplicably kind of timid around Quark" timeline?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Nidoking posted:

And what update would have been not a cliffhanger?
Yeah, if there's one thing Fedule's known for,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Can anyone remind me what mention/evidence of Quantum Malarkey has popped up in game (if there has been any)?

What I'm wondering is: given the existence of both humanoid robots and clones, what reason is there to believe Quantum Malarkey is involved in this in any way, besides the fact that 999 set it up?

• Locked thread