Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Fake plane goons: should I get more RAM?

I've got 16gb with my ryzen 2700x and 1660ti. Game is on SSD and runs alright; not noticeable FPS gently caress ups and the game uses about 8gb of my current memory. Would the additional RAM make a significant change to my experience? I'm thinking no, but then again, 32gb purchase isn't too pricey... not sure there is anything else worth upgrading before just going for a new build?

Aside from buying it for this, the only other reason to get it would be for GIS work for my job... do I shell out 130 quid for RAM just to fly fake planes??

RAM probably isn't going to be your bottleneck. It seems that the main limiter is CPU speed (the main simulation thread takes a LOT of juice and while they've attempted to split out tasks onto other subthreads, there still seems to be a lot of overhead. For instance it looks like all of the in-game flight computer simulation is on the main thread which is kinda dumb) with a smaller limiter being graphics settings. If you're limited on graphics then you can just turn down the quality but there's no getting around the CPU limitations.

RAM will just help you run many things at once, and 16GB *should* be plenty for a game like this. Also, if you decide to upgrade your RAM, you should typically keep it an even power of 2 (either get another 16gb so you have 2^5 == 32GB, or get another 48 so you have 2^6 == 64GB)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

UnknownTarget posted:

EDIT: Also does anyone know any good tuts for the SDK?

I've been using the ones over on these forums https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/msfs2020.155/ since the MS based documentation is pretty bad.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

sellouts posted:

You don’t need to push back release date to get number of fuel tanks or an uncorrupted nav database in.

Again, if I’m like “the complex ice modeling on engines at altitude isn’t accurate as the anti ice doesn’t affect thrust or egt!” Or whatever, that’s probably a pretty complex problem to solve. I get not pushing back for that.

It’s poor development to not hit a deadline with basics put in.

It's fun digging through the game files for the checklists and seeing that yes, every plane was going to have a full stopped to stopped checklist, but a good deal is just commented out because they couldn't get it ready for their MVP release.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The Old 172 is fine, the Longitude is broken beyond belief (Sellouts just woke up in a cold sweat when you said it was nice), and the 787 is okay but honestly lacking enough detail that it’s not really fun to fly. I don’t mind a good tube liner but part of what makes those fun (imo) is fairly accurate true to life complexity. The stock 787 feels more or less like setting up the stock TBM, except it can cruise for 16 hours or whatever.

I still stand by my point - unless you’re super attached to an airframe and don’t think you want to wait/pay for a better version (and/or learn some crazy in depth payware version), just skip it.

I’ve flown I think almost every variant (okay you’re right, I’m sure it’s the Robins I’ve missed) and they’re just really not worth the $120 considering how similar they are to the $60/game pass offering.

YMMV of course. I wouldn’t say I’m regretting my purchase considering the hours I already have invested, but I could probably do without the $120 version content and have little difference other than a vague and misguided FOMO.

I like the additional airports! Taking off from Cairo, SFO, Denver or Heathrow is all very nice. Definitely agreed on the jets being broken; they need to fix the fuel consumption on those fuckers stat.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Not at all helpful but I got through the whole mission without crashing, just putting out a data point that it at least works for some people.

You can potentially answer a question I had about it: did it save your progress like the bush trips do? or will you have to do the whole trip over again?

I also had a Tour of Japan crash. No saves it looks like.

In addition, about halfway through the Tour of Japan, my center G1000 panel would deactivate (and take the Autopilot controls with it). Pretty frustrating.