Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lol, this game is a launch day disaster right now

if you were on the fence maybe wait a couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lol they went to the trouble of putting custom made buildings in Panama City but the main airport doesn’t exist in the game for some reason

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I saw somewhere that a patch is coming tomorrow, is that correct?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lol incomplete wind data is one thing...but a couple days ago I had 110 knot winds on the ground trying to land when the actual METAR at the time said 6 knots

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm used to developers having, you know, a sense of urgency in addressing widespread crippling downloader/installation issues. I had assumed they were addressing those behind the scenes, server-side. But lmao, nope, they're really making people wait two whole weeks.
It's a French company in August, everyone is on vacation

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Anyway, until my VKB Gladiator comes in the mail I'm just letting the AI copilot fly OnAir missions transporting very legal, very cool cargo out of Panama. With damage turned off AI can complete most OnAir deliveries, it's great as a glorified screen saver. Also a good chance to re-familiarize myself with the avionics, etc

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's so obvious that OnAir was designed by Germans. Lots of insane details but terrible UX. I think it's the reputation deductions for extremely minor poo poo that really seals the case for me

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Does it ding you half a percent for stalling on landing in the small GA planes? because it's different in airliners but in a 172 it is totally fine and appropriate to hear the stall horn come on as you flare.

45 degree banked turns are also a basic flight maneuver. Yeesh
Also dings you for taking off without flaps in a tiny GA plane. yeah I really need flaps for my 172 to make it off this 8000ft runway

They should just give you a "professional flying bonus" that can be turned off by people who don't care

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 28, 2020

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ephex posted:

Just had discussion with one of my best friends who is a pilot with Lufthansa and got turbo hosed by COVID:

Would people pay for flight lessons/sessions with him in Flight Simulator? Are there things like that already?

He should get on Twitch, there's several airline pilots who have a good number of viewers on there.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I lived under a final approach for a midsized airport for awhile, you get used to it quickly. My neighbor who liked to practice guitar and have loud sex with the windows open was much more of a distraction

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Ugh why does it have to come out when I have a flight in progress...

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Also, someone asked awhile back who owns TBMs IRL. Mostly rich people who can’t quite afford a jet or who want something more rugged so they can fly into tiny airports etc.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

BTW, MSFS is a great use case for Shadow since latency isn’t a big deal. I finally got off the waitlist and it’s been working out great, have 30fps with most things turned up to high/ultra and my joystick works with no issues.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Is there somewhere I can find a legend for all the colored lines that show up on the g1000 map?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

JayKay posted:

I've heard the TBM described as biz jet performance/luxury, but in a cheaper to maintain package.

Yeah, it’s basically a smaller PC-12 and those are crazy popular.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Welp, I see we’re back to random crashes mid-flight for no reason

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Theris posted:

G1000 planes have weird issues with programming flight plans, too. Selecting and activating approaches randomly doesn't work. Also the Baron's avionics occasionally turn off on their own. Does Asobo have a QA department?

Maybe they did what my former employer did and fired all the QAs after COVID started because “automated testing” and “devs have more free time with WFH so they can do it themselves.” lmao

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Hahaha they say they're fixing it "next update"???

If “next update” is a hotfix 3 hours from now maybe that’s ok

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

There is an auto/manual switch on the right side of the overhead panel. Not sure if it works in FS2020 though.

It does, that's what the AUTO SEL caution is telling you to set. Sometimes it can be a bit slow to switch tanks so you still get the imbalance warning, but it seems to sort itself out.

On another note does anyone know how to view wind speed/direction in the King Air? Seems like that should be possible but I can't figure it out.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

Every flight simulator (not meaning MSFS, just sims in general) has been a buggy mess at launch.

Yep, FSX was an absolute disaster IIRC, even worse than this

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, Microsoft doesn't seem too keen on hotfixes. We saw that when they refused to do anything about the huge number of people having difficulty installing the game at launch. They decided to wait a couple weeks before doing anything about that.

It's in the backlog for the next sprint

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

cmpterjones posted:

Had I not spent money it still doesn't change the fact that it's broken and incomplete, yo. The crux of the issue is that they released it when they did, I was going to buy it anyway as a sim sperg.

They could've continued the testing period and responded to the huge amount of feedback they were getting and ignoring, but they didn't and just dropped it in the market as yet another in the epic of bad flight sim releases. I'm doing fine ignoring it until it's fixed, but honestly it's pretty bad the things that are broken and missing and I believe that deserves acknowledgement.

If you're enjoying it that's fine, it's enjoyable to many even how it is now. But to many others it's not and it's just as valid a view point.
I don't think MS gave them the option of holding back the release dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I don't really need to see whatever racial slur someone has set their tail number to.

Excuse me, I think you meant "gamer word"