Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

The Elf art looks cooler than I expected it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Grim posted:

Yes but you can trade equipment - I'm just trying to tally up what I can expect for the silly amount of money I have pledged, how common will these things be once the rewards start coming in might be useful to know

edit: plus I think you smelt down equipment / cards as part of the Crafting system?

Well, anyone who has those exclusive kickstarter cards also have the equipment for them, so others will have no use for it unless the cards get sold as well.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

boho posted:

Someone tell me which tier to buy, ideally using things like science and math. Would one of the $250 flavors only be worth it if I played draft every single week?

You should buy in at the $10,000 dollar Producer level. It'll get you 4 of every card and all equipment forever, and you can sell it all for mad eBucks.

Alternatively, Dungeon Crawler is going fast, and is the $250 tier that will get you the most value over time currently available. The extra loot drops will be salable, and you can use them to get more boosters and draft/tournament entries.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

Also: Someone posted in the comments section. Anyone who gets an award that's above the limited amount, e.g. those tiers with a negative availability, the people in the 'negative' slots won't get their reward. That's gonna be... interesting.

That seems like something that could easily be dealt with on an individual basis though, assuming people aren't sitting around with 500/1000 dollar pledges with no reward hoping to trick CZE into giving them a reward they didn't have a slot for, which seems like a really stupid idea.

There are currently only 2 Grand Kings and 1 Dragon Lord in that position, so I imagine they'd just give them the reward anyway.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

When you set magic cards on fire they actually exploded as the front of the card was glued onto the back of the card so gasses built up between them and they popped like popcorn.

How will Hex replicate this phenomenon? If they want to keep pace with their leading competitor, these are the things they will have to plan for. Cardboard Smell is only the beginning.

It's not like they can really beat Wizards anyway. MtG has Hexproof.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I think the problem with larger games is that with a paper TCG, you can shortcut some irrelevant or repetitive steps, such as tapping and untapping things repeatedly for some sort of bonus. In a paper game, you can just say "I do this 50 times.", but that kind of thing is difficult in a digital game, which could make large games something of a drag at times.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

opaopa13 posted:

On the other hand, yeah, it would be a more pure game to draft solely for the draft and not for trading / deck-building later. Oh well.
Well if they do decide to implement phantom drafts at some point, that would cover that niche.

For those that don't know, phantom drafting is a draft where you don't get to keep the cards you used at the end, and thus don't have to provide or cover the cost for the packs used in the draft, just the entry fee.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Another use would be combining undercosted creatures with drawbacks into a beefy creature with no penalty.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I played a little bit of it, and really didn't enjoy it. The games tended to be very drawn out for a couple reasons. One, the lane based combat system makes it easier to force troops to fight other troops. Two, each player constantly gains an additional resource point each turn for free, and can then, once per turn, either raise one of their 3 threshold values to play better cards, or, more often as the game drags on, spend a piddling one resource point to draw an extra card. So you can draw a ton of cards easily, and not too long in the game, will probably have the resources to play out your entire hand.

I found what tended to happen was that one player would get an advantage, but would have a lot of trouble actually finishing the other player off, because they can just nearly free card draw their way into a bunch of chump blockers, which doesn't actually get them back in the game so much as just waste a bunch of time. There's still a "summoning sickness" effect where their troops can't attack immediately, so they always get smacked half dead before they can do anything. There's a retaliation damage mechanic, but half the troops in the game ignore it, and it doesn't even get applied if the defending troop dies.

So yeah, some stuff in it just rubbed me the wrong way. Mostly, 1 resource card draw as a base ability given to every hero seemed to turn out pretty poorly.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

tijag posted:

Those rewards are only available to people actually at Gencon?

They plan to have the rewards randomly be in the chests found in booster packs while Gencon is running each year. This year's rewards will be included in next year's packs as well as the rewards for next year.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

From an official comment on the Kickstarter update, it seems there won't be a Mac version of the Alpha client available, at least at the beginning. Doesn't affect me, but could certainly interfere with some peoples' plans. Kind of unfortunate, since the very first lines of the Kickstarter call it a PC and Mac game.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

And a bunch more spoilers incoming!

Cloudwatcher
Survival of the Fittest
Wind Whisperer
Chimera
Persecute

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 3, 2013

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I think Shin'hare decks just got a lot more interesting. If you hold onto this guy for a bit, he's sure to cause some pain with your spare battle hoppers before he gets murdered. Even better if you have a free sac outlet to level him up.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

That card is just hilarious. I guess now people have a reason to run Omen of Oblivion on their sideboard.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

Destruction sends him to the grave, right? Wouldn't that would actually speed up his effect? :getin:

This may actually apply to the mill strategy as well, but if this was a Magic card, he would go to YOUR graveyard, and then destroy you. It's impossible to say how this kind of card will interact with graveyards at this point.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

He's also useful for turning your Wild Growths and such into permanent stat boosts.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah, turn 2 would be the earliest this could pop out. If you draw it turn 1, you won't have the threshold for it.

E: As for decks to make in alpha. I really want to try a more late game mono-red with Cerebral Fulmination, dwarves, and artifacts. Also something where I get to use Cosmic Transmogrifier on Prophet of Lodegan and get 4 7 drops for 1.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 7, 2013

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Apparently it should go out at the same time as the first wave of alpha invites. There'll be an update at 4 PM PDT, at which point the invites may go out, or we'll get an update on when they might.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Don't gently caress with that buffalo.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Artist name is on the double back. It was confirmed... somewhere. I'm positive.

Wild's looking extremely strong after the spoiler with ramp, big creatures, scaling creatures, and recycling buffs.
Ruby's artifact hoser is a big hit to all dwarf decks.
Diamond and Blood both seem solid.
Sapphire seems like it might have taken a bigger hit in the alpha card list due to having more complicated effects in general that don't work right yet.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look at cards like Pterobot (pay one less to summon this for each artifact you control), Slaughtergear, etc. That's what it's useful for.

Looking at the spoiler though a lot of cards which I thought said "exhaust artifact" now say "exhaust robot." I'm not sure if that's a new change or just my memory - I was thinking that (for example) you could use Slivers as a cheap artifact to tap for Volcannon but you can't, has to be a robot.

Most of them previously said "Artifact Troop", which all but a handful of are robots anyway.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 9, 2013

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Well, while everyone's waiting, there's a deck in the alpha client just called "Alpha Collection", and, well...

It contains 4 of every single alpha card and 40 of every resource.

It might make for a pretty hilarious mirror match.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

It seems more stable when there are less people on. During the day it still freezes up pretty often on priority triggers.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I'd make sure they're not going to your spam folder. At one point, GMail just decided that all the e-mails I was getting from Twitch were spam, and I didn't realize for a while. Also, go to your Kickstarter settings and make sure you're set to recieve e-mail updates from them.

As for the actual alpha invite, it will be from Cryptozoic themselves rather than Kickstarter, so it shouldn't be an issue, unless it also gets intercepted by your spam filter. Just keep an eye on news. I'm certain there'll be a fair bit of activity in this thread once the second invite wave goes out.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I put together a mono-ruby Inspire/Cerebral Fulmination based deck. It does some pretty crazy stuff like Swiftstrike/Crush/Speed 8/1 Rampaging Tarasques for 5 resources, Sniper of Gawaine shooting them in the head for 8+ damage, Royal Falconer putting out 20 power worth of troops in one turn. Fulmination and a couple Hex Engines basically keep me fueled on game ending threats constantly flowing in once it gets going. It's a lot of stuff for removal to keep up with, and a ton of fun to play.

E: Deck List

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 26, 2013

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I've had more success with games if both parties just wait a second before hitting the pass priority or continue button. It seems to be mostly when someone hits it as soon as it appears that it locks up.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So I put together a deck built around using Cosmic Transmogrifier to turn Prophet of Lodegan into 4 random 7 drops, and it turns out that it actually can transform constants into troops and vice versa. So, it turns out that Cosmic Transmogrifier and other constants actually work really well with Extinction to give you some serious board advantage. I could definitely see something worthwhile coming out of this.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah, it does.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I'm Toast on there. Haven't really been playing much yet, though. Just waiting for more features.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

It seems that they're hoping to implement Sealed play in next week's patch. It's not quite draft, but I can go for it. Let's all go have some buggy limited fun.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I think it was just mercenaries that ever weren't going to be tradable, and now they are.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I'm thinking that's where threshold will go now. The 2 bubbles just being the amount they put on the generic demo frame.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Just won my first Sealed Tournament! :toot: The second one I've played to reach the end, though the first was only by winning the first two rounds by default.

Really, when you open up 4 Savage Raiders and 2 Fang of the Mountain God, what do you build besides Blood/Ruby Aggro?

Xentoth's Inquisitor only ever came out once, and Mortar Strike was never useful enough to play it, so may avoid it in the future. I even won one game with a 1 mana hand that had a Ruby and 3 Savage Raiders in it.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yes, the 60 card deck for limited is compensating not just for the lower minimum in limited play, but also the fact that you'll probably only have one of them, and a number of the other cards you put in your deck to make him legal will probably be of dubious quality.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I'm fairly certain it kills Flock of Seagulls, but Bird of Plenty prevents ALL damage dealt to it (and draws cards instead).

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

If you have some decklists you want to save, you can put decks together over on this site.

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/

I also won a draft tournament last night with a Sapphire/Diamond deck that had zero rares, no huge bombs, and only one piece of hard removal, just lots of really good efficient troops and a few tricks.

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=5847

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 19, 2014

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Afgad posted:

Would that give you two free drafts a week? I thought they specifically said they were not allowing that to stack.

What doesn't stack is the one year of Weekly Free Drafts that was added to each of the non-Pro Player $250 dollar tiers. Anyone already receiving 1 or more Weekly Free Drafts for life could not receive that bonus through account merging, and no one could get it twice by purchasing 2 non-Pro Player $250 tiers.

Kickstarter Page posted:

Note that we added 1 free booster draft a week for 1 year per account to the Dungeon Crawler, Raid Leader, Guild Master, and Collector tiers!

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I imagine they were answering questions that customers were asking them in chat about planned ETAs for those upcoming features rather than bragging.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Since bounce effects increase the cost of the card permanently, they're particularly effective against Inspire troops, reducing the number of things in the opponent's deck that can benefit from the effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I think it's more likely they've been instructed to keep quiet until an official legal response has been made, just to be careful.

• Locked thread