Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OBi posted:

I think the [+3/+0] indicates it gives you 3 mana without giving your champion 3 charge, which 3 individually played resources would.

Mana is expressed as Temporary/Permanent - the amount of mana you currently have to spend and the amount you generate each turn. If you have 6 resources you start the turn with [6/6]; if you then play a 2cc spell you will have [4/6]. Any basic resource will give you [1/1] - you get 1 point of mana right now and generate 1 each turn. This is interesting for the purposes of design space, as it's possible to make [0/1] resources that don't generate mana on the turn they enter play or [2/0] resources that give a temporary mana boost but afterwards only increase thresholds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

This is not correct. They've said that it will be possible to earn a few boosters in PVP without the Auction House, although they'll probably be pretty rare since boosters are Cryptozoic's main form of revenue.

You mean PVE, I take it? Because I can't see them running drafts with no prizes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zonekeeper posted:

Question 2: do the rewards have to be used on one account each, or can you combine them?

They will combine them if you ask, up to a maximum of four.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Is anybody really talking so far about the graphic design of the card faces? I don't know about anyone else, and I'm sure it will depend on what size they end up being displayed in the client, but in places like this card gallery they're displayed at about the same size on my monitor as paper Magic cards but seem far less easy on the eyes. At the very least they seem significantly harder to read or make sense of than the classic Magic cardface, and given how much bellyaching there seems to be about that every time it comes up, I'm surprised there isn't more critique about this aspect of the design.

What's hard to read about them? I'm astigmatic and have no problems other than with a couple of the lower resolution screencaps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks for posting that, appreciate the warning. Looking over the thread the later few pages seem to have a lot of posts from people finally getting paid, though, so they may be catching up.

Yeah, it looks like in January they had a 15 month backlog in some cases and they've now worked it down to 9 months.

I'm not sure what Adar's getting at about player funds taking a back seat to marketing, though. The Magic Player Programme (which covers everything from FNM prizes to Pro Tour cashes) is funded from the marketing budget.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Does anyone know how the abilities on cards like Ninja Training and Moment of Glory work? Is that spending your Thresholds or simply "you must have this many Thresholds?"

It must be "if you have these Thresholds", because Midnight Shepherd requires one of each Threshold to activate then says in its ability text that you lose a Threshold.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Confirmation of 15 cards boosters or just an assumption?

I've seen a picture of the virtual packs that says 15 cards on it, but even if I hadn't I would assume it from the layout of the stretch goals: 15 total, 11 white, 3 green, 1 red.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Do we have any indication that our free weekly drafts will roll over?

No, we've been repeatedly told the opposite. You will need to draft once a week.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

Wait... am I over thinking this or has CZE failed to explain the value of the PvE side of their game?

No, they've completely failed to explain it beyond it seemingly being the only way to play against an AI.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I would be extremely surprised if they made you use your year of free drafts on their beta.

It would be a very good way to ensure that the game launched to empty servers and universal bad word of mouth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Karnegal posted:

At some point in beta, they're going to give out all the KS stuff. After that point, there won't be any wipes. I would assume that free drafts will start at the same time.

If Cryptozoic say free drafts start during beta, then gently caress them to death with a splintered broomstick. They'll either be offering free drafts that everyone will get anyway, or they'll be charging players to beta test.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

They've said repeatedly there won't be any wipes, though - why wouldn't they be charging players for draft when draft is giving them cards they can use in the full game?

Here's a better question: how do they expect to get their game properly tested if the testers don't have access to the cards? If the only way testers can test is by paying for their own cards then the rare cards and equipment are more likely to be bugged on release. I was a Magic Online tester for many years; we all had full access to everything on our beta accounts and bugs still made it through. If Cryptozoic think they can run a successful beta test granting limited card access and charging the testers to do it, then that's a giant signal that they have no idea what they're doing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm definitely in the camp that Collector is a better buy than 2x King - I have a feeling that those cards are going to be highly valued (specifically by other collectors who want playsets or by people who don't get in on the ground floor) - of course at this point I'm hoping to squeeze into a GK slot if I get lucky

I'm waiting for all the trolls in the last 24 hours, posting "GK/PP about to open up".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Karnegal posted:

This is a good point. If you talk about Magic, no one really considers the 1996 world champion card (of which there is 1) part of a complete collection. Similarly the Garfield proposal and children cards, or the dragon card from the one place in Asia.

Nobody considers 1996 World Champion to be part of a complete collection because it's sealed in the trophy. On the other hand, there are people who consider Garfield's family cards to be part of a complete collection - I know this because I've seen a genuine Splendid Genesis for sale. (Also someone stole Quinton Hoover's copy of Proposal at PT Tokyo in 1999, but nobody will ever know who that prick was because it's the only copy that isn't in the hands of Garfield and his family.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Amante posted:

As cool as those particular MTG cards are, none of them are actually legal to play. Comparing them to mutually exclusive cards in Hex that'll work in PvE (and presumably in PvE+PvP cardpool events) is not the most apt comparison.

You realise that some people collect things to have the collection, right? I used to know a guy who hardly played Magic at all, but wanted to have one of everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selane posted:

Why? That's a pretty unfair accusation to make. I agree the art is awful but it's not like other games like Magic don't have animal people up the rear end in their art.

Yeah, but here's the Magic equivalent:

Similar levels of boobs-at-the-camera, but the character is depicted as stalking, eyes narrowed and weapon ready, leant forward to spring.

The closest thing to genuine furry fanservice in Magic is probably Ink-Eyes:

Even then, this is obviously a piece in motion; Ink-Eyes is leaping forward and drawing her spear back to swing at an enemy to her left. She's not thrusting her tits out and giving the camera a come-hither look with big blue eyes straight out of a bad anime like that Coyotle Mage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

That doesn't look as bad as the hydrocephalic coyotle babe, but on the other hand I had to stare at it for like 10 seconds for my brain to parse what was going on. I doubt that anything with a skeletal structure similar to a human's could actually make that pose.

It's slightly bad. The resin statue was easier to cope with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zurai posted:

That's not what was said at all. He said the alpha would be several weeks long. It's entirely possible the Kickstarter alpha will be months before the beta

Not if they plan to meet their scheduled dates. The beta is due to start in September.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zurai posted:

Also, since when has an over-funded Kickstarter hit its scheduled dates?

Dreadball shipped early, and they had physical items to manufacture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

We've already nearly hit 1.7 million in combined Kickstarter and Paypal totals, we might have a chance to hit stretch goals after 1.8m after all.

Don't get excited. Three more Producers showed up out of nowhere in the space of a few hours, and I'd wager they'll disappear the instant the goal is unlocked.

E: One of them named himself, so he'll probably stick.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 3, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kakesu posted:

With the $100,000 from PayPal we've definitely hit the 1.8m stretch goal now. Yay Alpha!

Yay people fake pledging for Producer, more like. Ain't no way in Hell five people have legitimately ponied up $10,000 in the same day when doing so pushes the campaign over the Alpha stretch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Protip posted:

Yesterday was a great day for Hex on the Kickstarter. They will undoubtedly reach 1.8 million through KS alone today bringing them to over 1.9 total with PayPal. I'm looking forward to the reveal of the next stretch goal but I can't help but think they might push the goal amount higher based on just how much was raised yesterday. When they originally announced the extended goals I figured they would be at 1.8, 1.9 and 2 million. Did anyone catch mention of the new extended goals in the Twitch feed yesterday?

They can't push the extended goals much higher. Yesterday's push was entirely down to a large number of $2500 and $10k tiers being taken up. Even if all of those are legitimate pledges, which they aren't, there aren't enough of them for a push of similar size to occur again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that web guide looks like it could be fun to read. But they'll really need a flood of last minute subscribers to get that goal, there are only so many high-tier spots left.

Edit: Yeah, they'd have to beat their kicktraq projection by like 200k.

Kicktraq projection doesn't include Paypal. Include those donations and Hex will hit $2.1m if it meets the projection.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Expect a few disappointed people on the KS message board. They were all expecting Hex to leap up after the stream, but it's only gained $35k. (Kicktraq lists higher gains, but that was people pledging towards the stretch goal before the stream.) Lots of new backers, but most of them at below King.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, we're still almost at 2m, counting Paypal, I'm relatively sure we'll make it to 2.1, though I'm doubting the last stretch goal will be hit.

Last day push will get a bunch of Kings, sure, but there's basically nothing left above that that people want to buy and no add-ons to expand pledges. I'd be very surprised if the total hits $2.1m excluding Paypal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OBi posted:

Yeah I definitely have some misgivings. One of the things that really helps my confidence level is how much of a straight rip of magic it is. I already know I'll enjoy the basic gameplay, so all they need to do is not screw up the rest of it.

The problem being that "the rest of it" is the important bit. It's actually not hard to design the basic mechanics of a deck-based game once you have the example of Magic to use. Where it falls down is rules complexity and interaction between cards. Even Wizards gently caress up interaction sometimes, because they can't spot everything or test the whole metagame. All it will take is for Hex to have a few cards that are way overpowered or too hard to deal with, and players will disappear in droves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vincent Valentine posted:

Is there any kind of guarantee that the people in the -4 positions of the Pro Player will actually get their reward tier?

I'm wondering that if five people drop, and I pile onto it with the rest of the pack and I end up as one of the negatives, will it charge my $250 pledge and not give the tier? Because that would be...a bit of a bummer.

There's no physical limitation on the number of PPs. I strongly suspect that for the handful of oversubscriptions that there could possibly be, CZE will honour them. They're in for a massive PR shitstorm if they don't, frankly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

Welp, thanks to the Saints Row IV and the Civ V Brave New World Pre-Orders opening up on Steam, I've decided not to go insane and buy a second Collector set. Maybe.

BNW pre-order is open until 12th July, I don't think you need to factor it in just yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I believe they just announced it's $39k to go.

E: Yep, Paypal just shy of $200k.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 7, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zonekeeper posted:

There's going to be around 10,000 Lotus Gardens in existence. That's not nearly enough to be a currency. Far more likely is that the lotuses themselves will be currency.

Ed: poo poo, this is going to come to the wire re: the last stretch goal. Really close now with Paypal included.

Slacker Backers and T-shirt sales also count. $2.5m in pledges is assured, how much of that will be paid I can't say though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Countdown now in seconds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

OH GOD MY WALLET! :v: :dance: :pcgaming:

Why complain, I just made $150 minimum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Capitalism posted:

So, I was kind of shocked no Producers dropped at the last minute. They got really close to 2.5 million.

Just because they didn't drop, doesn't mean they'll pay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zonekeeper posted:

This is a bit of genius on the devs' part - if a drafter is buying packs for an event and gets one, they have to buy a 4th pack to actually enter the draft.

Or more likely, they'll trade the Primal pack for multiple regular booster packs and get their next draft for less.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grim posted:

Here is a thing: NACC 2013 WoWTCG tournament with pre-Alpha Hex Gameplay

Edit: people actually playing starts at around 6:25

There's no gameplay in that video whatsoever, just an irritating douchebag with a Hitler moustache.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

They've also still got about three months before the beta goes live, and I don't think we've gotten any indication on how long that will last.

If it's a soft launch beta as people have suggested, it will last until the day the game goes live.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Rare, blue if it's good meat, with horseradish. It's the one true way.

The people who eat blue steak are the ones whose ancestors never could be bothered with this newfangled "fire" thing. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

For Champions, remember that these are Set 1 Champions.

For reference, here are the Year 1 WoWTCG heroes: http://wow.tcgbrowser.com/#!/type=Hero&set=1
Here's the Year 5 WoWTCG heroes: http://wow.tcgbrowser.com/#!/type=Hero&set=5

As far as I can tell as a layman, the only difference between the Year 1 and Year 5 heroes is that the Year 1 heroes flip as part of the cost of their ability and the Year 5 heroes flip as part of the effect. I think your example is meaningless to anyone other than a WOWTCG player.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PrinnySquadron posted:

Plenty of games already do microtransactions on Steam. Don't see how it'd really be any different than TF2.

Valve own and control TF2. That's about as big a difference as it's possible to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vincent Valentine posted:

Yeah, this Keep Name system may not be what I'm used to, but it sounds like a good idea.

Right up to the point where you find yourself playing against Teninches of Throbbinggristle, anyway.

("What do you mean, it's not suitable? I like the band!")

• Locked thread